Ch. 5: Home

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

         Nichkhun purchased four tickets back to Seoul. He worriedly and in fear at Ch’onju station for Taeyeon. He looks from left to right, watching out for Taeyeon, but she was nowhere seen yet. A classy vehicle drives up to the station. Hani successfully brought Taeyeon safely to Ch’onju’s train station.

          Seeing Taeyeon walking with Hani to the station, Nichkhun hurriedly walks up to Taeyeon. They stop and looks into each other eyes.

          “As promised, I’ve brought her here safely. You can rest assured now.” Said Hani with calm smiles.  

          Nichkhun looks at Hani, “Thank you.” He said to Hani then looks at Taeyeon again. He grabs and holds her hands. “How was the road?” He asked in a soft tone. “Anybody follow the both of you?”

           Taeyeon shakes her head ‘no’. “No one follows us.” She said.

           Nichkhun sighed in relief. An announcer makes an announcement of the train soon-to-be departed. The three of them get on the train. The remaining road was quiet. Hani and Kangin, sitting across from them, look at Taeyeon from time to time until Nichkhun reaches over her hands that rest on her laps. Nichkhun holds onto her hand tightly as he rests his back again the chair in the cabin. He glances at Taeyeon, who’s looking out the window and avoiding both men eyes.
 

[South Train’s Station of Seoul...]

            The train stop at Seoul station. Taeyeon tries to pull her hands out of his grip, but he would not let her go. Nichkhun releases one hand and holds tight on the left hand. He leaves the train hand-in-hand with Taeyeon. Kangin follows them closely behind. The captain greeted Nichkhun and Taeyeon with 90-degree bow along with the soldiers.

            “Lieutenant Marshal Lee.” The captain greeted. “The cars are ready for you and third madam.”

            Nichkhun nod, “We need to hurry.” He said.

            “Yes, sir.” Said the Captain.

            The captain and the soldiers Nichkhun and Taeyeon the first car. The soldier takes Kangin to the second car. The cars begin to move, driving into the road and head toward the Lee’s resident.
 

North Train’s station [of Seoul…]

            Doojoon waits patiently for a train to arrive. The sound of the train’s horn echoes loudly, signaling the station of its’ arrival. Doojoon looks to the right and sees the train slowly pulling up to the station. The train stopped. People get off the train. A woman exits the train and looks to her left. She sees Doojoon walking up to her. She smiles and embraces him.

            “I miss you.” Said Doojoon before he releases her. “How was the ride? Was it tiring? Are you hungry?” He asked with concern. So-hee shakes her head ‘no’. Doojoon smiles and reaches for her right hand. “Let’s go home.” He said. She nod. They leave the station and walks to the car waiting on the side of the road. His soldiers followed him closely, guarding him against the enemy.

            One of the soldiers open the door for them and wait till they enter the vehicle; the soldiers close the door and the driver drives away.

 

[At resident….]the Lee’s

            The first madam and Seung-gi stand in front of the mansion. Two vehicles drive up the driveway and stop in front of the manor. Nichkhun and Taeyeon exit the cars. He went up to Seung-gi and grabs on to his arms, while Taeyeon is greeted lovely by Yeon-Seo.

            “Seung-gi, how father?” Nichkhun asked, worriedly.  is

            “He’s fine now.” Said Seung-gi.

            “He was assassin twice. Seung-gi, tell me the truth.”

            “Father is really alright, just a little worry. Nothing big. I assure you.”

            “First sister.” Taeyeon greeted Yeon-seo.

            Yeo-seo smiles and holds Taeyeon’s up. “It must be hard for you.” She said.

            Taeyeon shakes her head no. “It was nothing compared to what you have to do here. If there’s anything else I can help, please don’t hesitate.” Said Taeyeon with a little remorse.

            “I receive a memo that you and Taeyeon were under attack in Kimch’on. Are you both okay?” Seung-gi asked, worriedly.

            “Everything is fine,” Nichkhun answered. “Have Doojoon arrive yet?”

            “No, but I heard he’s on his way here.” Said Seung-gi.

            Nichkhun nods lightly. He turns around, “Please take care of my two good friends.” He said to the butler.

            “Yes, sir.” The butler nods and escorts them to the left side of the mansion.

            Another vehicle drive passes the gate of the mansion and up the driveway. The vehicle stop, Doojoon exit the car and hurriedly run up to Seung-gi. So-hee walks up to them and glances at Nichkhun.

            “Doojoon.” Seung-gi greeted him.

            “Seung-gi.” Doojoon bowed. “How is father?”

            “He’s fine.” Said Seung-gi. “When we go see him together, please don’t bring up any big matter. I don’t want him to worry anymore.”

            “Doojoon, Seung-gi is right. What father need right now is rest.” Said Nichkhun.

            Doojoon angrily looks at Nichkhun. “You dare to speak. If you didn’t lose Mountain Songni, Father health’s wouldn’t be in this state.” He shouted.

            Nichkhun guiltily looks away from Doojon’s eyes for a second before he faces him again.

            “Doojoon, the people in the city are afraid. I can’t risk their life.” Said Nichkhun. “I admit that it is my fault that I lost the mountain, but I do not regret making that choice. What about you? You almost lost Pyongsan.”

            “You!”

            “Stop it both of you!” Seung-gi exclaimed. “You both just got home. The first thing you both did was blame each other. What the use of blaming each other?” He looks at Both Nichkhun and Doojoon. “We all have our mistake. There’s no going back. Right now, father’s health is more important. I do not want to hear about this again. Understand?”

            “Yes.” Said Nichkhun and Doojoon with a nod.

            “Seung-gi, the assassinations? Did you catch them?” Doojoon asked.

            “No. They committed suicide before we get the chance to capture them.” Seung-gi answered. “Father is expecting us.”

            Nichkhun and Doojoon nod. Seung-gi and Yeon-seo lead the way to the conference room in the mansion. Nichkhun reaches for Taeyeon’s left hand before he follows Seung-gi and Yeon-seo. So-hee unhappily looks at him from the back as she walks with Doojoon. In the room are a long rectangle mahogany table and ten classic chairs places around the table on the left side of the room. Four couches and a coffee table place on the right side of the room. An executive desk place at the other end of the room. Marshal Lee sit behind the desk and wait for them to enter the room. The men bow 90-degrees to greet their father, while the women hold their hand at the stomach and bow 45-degree.

            “Father.” They all greeted him.

            Marshal Lee looks at them. “It’s good that you’re all here.” He said.

            “Father, I’m sorry.” Said Nichkhun with his head low.

            Marshal Lee sighed. “I understand. It’s was only a small mountain. Nothing to worry. I rather it falls into the Hwang’s hand instead of the Kang’s hands.” He said. Marshal Lee looks at Doojoon, “You did a good job defending the city.”

            Doojoon bow 45-degrees as a thank you. “I would have not made it through if it wasn’t for Nichkhun.” He said, truthfully.

            Marshal Lee looks at Nichkhun with satisfaction, “Well done.” He said.

            “Thank you, father.” Nichkhun’s bow 45-degree then stand up straight.

            “Right now, the enemy invade our city and dress among the people. It’s hard for us to catch them.” Said Marshal Lee. “I want all of you to be cautious of your surroundings.”

            “Father, what shall we do?” Doojoon asked.

            “Nothing. Just stay low and wait.” Said Marshal Lee. “I want to see what they will do next.”

            “Yes, father.” All three sons bowed.

            He looks pass them and did not see Jaesuk with them. “Nichkhun, I heard Jaesuk went up to the mountain with Taeyeon to see you. Where is he?”

            “We went separate way. He was supposed to be here before me.” Said Nichkhun. An uncomfortable and uneasy feeling strike through him.

            Marshal Lee sighed, “Why don’t you all go and rest?”

            “Yes, father.”

            A soldier knocks on the door.

            “Come in.” Said Marshal Lee.

            The soldiers enter the room with the Wooyoung and Junho.

            “Marshal Lee.” They saluted.

            Nichkhun noticed Wooyoung left arm wrap. “Major Jang. Major Lee. Where is my teacher?” Nichkhun questioned.

            Junho and Wooyoung look at each other before they look at Nichkhun with guilts and regrets.

            “General, I’m sorry.” Said Wooyoung with his head facing the floor.

            Nichkhun walks up to them in shocks, “What do you mean?” He said with a confused face.

            “Teacher Yoo was killed on the way here.” Said Junho, afraid to look at Nichkhun. “I’m sorry. We couldn’t protect teacher Yoo.”

            The news shocks So-hee as she trembles on her two weak legs. “Father...” She whispered.  Doojoon quickly wraps his arms around her and help her stand up.

            “What did you say?” Nichkhun eyes’ narrow together as the anger build in him.

            “I’m sorry, I failed to accomplish the tasked you gave to us.” Said Wooyoung.

            Nichkhun grips his fists tightly together and grits his teethes together as he tried to suppress the anger building inside of him.

            “How can you two let him out of your sight?” Doojoon raised his voice.

            Wooyoung and Junho were unable to lift their head up. Taeyeon walks up to Nichkhun and looks at him from the side. She sees sadness and pain roaming inside his eyes as he tightens his fist. She grabs his right lower arm, hoping to calm him down.

            “The killer left a suitcase and a letter.” Said Wooyoung. He hands Nichkhun the envelope.

             Nichkhun takes the envelope, open it, pull the letter out of the envelope. He begins to read it.

            “This is only the beginning of the game. Teacher Yoo death was your fault for being careless. You choose to protect your beloved wife. His death can only be blamed on you. This time, I will play the game with you till the end. The people you love and the people you care about. I will, one by one, take them away from you. I will make you suffered as long as I live.

                  –   From a friend, a foe.”

            Taeyeon, who stood beside Nichkhun, read every word wrote in the in the letter. She couldn’t help and blame herself for Jaesuk’s death as well. She looks up at Nichkhun and sees the anger, yet pain that wants to explode any minute soon, but doing his best to hold it in him.  

“Who is it from?” Doojoon asked.

            Nichkhun crumbles the paper in his right hand as he glares at the open space in front of him. He remembers the suitcase that’s Junho was carrying.

            Nichkhun looks at him, “Open the case.” He commanded with flaring eyes.

            Junho did as he was told and open the suitcase. Inside was a dark brown military of uniform.

            “That’s the Kang’s military outfit.” Said Seung-gi.

            The shock So-hee cries in Doojoon arms. “My father…” She cried heartbrokenly.

            “I’ll make them pay for what they did to teacher Yoo.” Said Doojoon in a tone filled with anger and grudge.

            Marshal Lee grit his teeth tightly as he glares at the suitcase.

            “General, please punish us.” Said Wooyoung and Junho.

            Nichkhun looks at them with a pair of angry eyes, but not angry at them instead he’s angry at himself for the cause of Jaesuk’s death.

            “Teacher Yoo’s body?” Marshal Lee asked.

            “It is in the mortuary at the Inha Hospital, sir.” Junho answered.

            Marshal Lee acknowledge with a light nod with his eyes closed for a moment.

            Doojoon angry point at Nichkhun, “Explain!” He shouted. “Why did you let him go by himself? Why didn’t you all come back together?”

            Nichkhun stands silently with his back facing Doojoon. His hands gripped tightly together into a furry fist. His eyes beaming fiercely at the ground.

            “The letter… who is it from?” Doojoon persistently demanding Nichkhun to talks.

            “This is my business. I will handle this by myself.” Said Nichkhun in an angry yet cold tone.

            “The person that was killed on the train was my father-in-law, So-hee’s father!” Doojoon raised his voice again. “He’s also your teacher!”

            Grit his teeth tightly, Nichkhun was about to turn around, but stop when Seung-gi raise both his hand up.

            “Stop both of you.” Seung-gi interfered, hoping to stop them from arguing.

            Doojoon turns and looks at Marshal Yee. “Father, we have to avenge Teacher Yoo death.” Said Doojoon in a fierce and angry tone. “The Kang has gone too far. We can’t stand and watch them continues to do whatever they want.”

            Marshal Lee raise his hand up, signaling him to stand down. He opens his eyes and looks at Nichkhun then at So-hee. “No one to make any move and attack the Kang. We will fall into their trap if they take action. If I find out any of you planning to avenge Teacher Yoo death not, I will not tolerate it and will follow is allowed the Lee’s procedure and punish those who defy my order.” He said. “We will do a proper ceremony for Teacher Yoo at the end of this week.”

            “Yes, Father.” They are bow before him.

            Marshal Lee signal them to leave the room. They did as they were told.  After leaving the room, the sorrow and regretful Nichkhun walks back to his room on the left side of the Mansion, a manor beside the mansion link by one main hallway.  Taeyeon stays close to him. She worries about him from behind. Nichkhun did not say a word. Only walking down the hallway and keeps walking follows until he reaches his room. Wooyoung and Junho stay close behind and close the door. Taeyeon walks up to him, wanting to hold his hands, embrace him, but her stubborn self is holding her back from doing so.

            Nichkhun stands at the center of the room, staring at the floor as he thinks of teacher Yoo. His hands folded tightly together will eyes full of angry. Wooyoung and Junho kneel on their knees with their head facing the floor.

            “General, it’s our fault for not protecting Teacher Yoo. Please punish us.” Said Wooyoung.

            “If only we knew that it was a trap, I would have never left Teacher Yoo alone. It was my fault alone. I accept any punishment you give.” Said Junho.

            “You both are not at fault. It was me.” Said Nichkhun. He sighed quietly. “Jung Yonghwa, I will not let you live in peace.” He whispered to himself.

            “General?” The confusedly looks at Nichkhun.            

            Junho remembers the letter that Jaesuk give to him and order him to hand it to Nichkhun only. “General, before Teacher Yoo’s death, he has ordered me to give you a letter.” Said Junho as he reaches for the letter in the inner pocket of his jacket and hands it over to Nichkhun.

            Nichkhun takes the letter, open it, and quietly read it to himself.

            “Nichkhun,

When you read this letter. It means that I’m no longer here. I knew the moment I went to Kimch’on and ask you to come back to Seoul with me and Taeyeon... among the three of us, one will be trap. I choose the road that will attract the most attention because I want you and Taeyeon to make it back alive. I knew very well that one day I will meet Yonghwa. I knew very well that this trip I will not make it alive. But as long as you and Taeyeon are safe, my risk will not go to waste. This life… I am very happy and honor to be your teacher. I could not ask for more. You were outstanding. To others, you may seem like an arrogant, stubborn and playful young master. But to me, you are outstanding that has a heart of gold. You care about the people, but you don’t show it. You use another way to show that you care about them. You rather give up the world than then innocent life. You rather give up your life for the safety of the one you love. I admire that of you. I admire your braveries. I admire that you have the heart to love and to chase after that love. However, I am unable to be by your side and guide you through life. Since you were 12 years old, a kid that had to watch his mother died and the lack of love from a father, all I can give was my knowledge to you…in hope that it will help you in the future. From here, you must make your own decision… take your own path…. I may not be able to be beside you, but you still have your wife... she will walk with you through the rest of the journey…. Nichkhun, the only advice I give you now is to cherish those around you. Don’t hide your feeling. Tell the one you love how you feel… That way you will not feel lonely anymore.... the trip to Kimch’on was Taeyeon idea. She wanted to come alone at first, but I volunteer, knowing well that I will not make it back alive… That’s fine. I’ve lived long enough to see the world…. So now, it’s your turn…. Taeyeon is a special girl. Don’t keep on hiding your true feeling… it’s suffocating. You need to express it, let it out. That way you will feel better and lighter, especially the feeling you have for her bury inside your heart... she will understand you if you open your heart… tell her who much she means to you… because I know she cares about you….... Nichkhun….This is our last goodbye. Take good care of yourself. Good-bye, my good student.

 –From your Teacher Yoo.

            Nichkhun crumbles the letter in his right hand, holding back his tears as he cries to himself.

            “Teacher…..” The despaired Nichkhun whispered.

            Wooyoung and Junho kneel along with Nichkhun with their head guiltily facing the floor. Taeyeon walks up to vulnerable Nichkhun, her hand reaching out to him, holding him against her—embracing as he closes his eyes, blocking the tears from escaping his eyes.

            “It’s my fault…. because of me that he died.” Nichkhun blamed himself as he rests his head against her lower abdominal. “If I weren’t careless, he wouldn’t be killed. He knew all along. If I didn’t agree with him, he would still be alive… It’s all my fault.”

            Taeyeon silent shed tears as she wraps her arms around him, letting his head rest on hers. He grabs onto her grab onto her arms as he continues to hold back his tear. She knew he was in pain… and regret. All she could do is hold him tightly in her arm. Comfort him as much as she can, but not one tear he let out. Not because he doesn’t want too, but because he does not want her to see his weak self. The young master that hardly cry but deep inside he wants to let it all out. All the pain he has been carrying, all the loneliness that he felt over the past years… he wanted to let it all out, but he doesn’t know how. Even if he cried it all out, the woman he loves would careless of how he feels… but he’s wrong. She does care about him, even though, they marriage was only in name, not real. She cares about him. She doesn’t how or why, but all she knows that right now he need her the most and she needs to do whatever it takes to make him feel better.

            “Teacher….” Nichkhun whispered with tears begging to be release but trap behind his eyelids.

           

To be continued………………………….