Ch. 6: The hidden love

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

            Late night, Nichkhun is to the big room by one of Marshal Lee subordinate. Nichkhun did not bother to asked and only follow the assistant to the room, leaving Taeyeon worriedly and guiltily wait back at their room. The double doors open. In the room was Marshal Lee sitting behind his desk, while Seung-gi and Doojoon stand in front of Marshal Lee. Nichkhun walks up to them and stand beside Doojoon. He bow 45-degree to Marshal Lee.

            “Father.” Nichkhun greeted.

            Marshal Lee lightly nodded his headed. “Nichkhun. The letter. Who was it from?” He asked.

            Nichkhun refuses to speak.

Doojoon looks at him with pair of angry eyes. “Father asked you. Why don’t you answer him?” He said.

“Nichkhun, if you know what’s best for you. You need to tell me.” Said Marshal Lee. “The letter. Who was it from?”    

“I don’t know.” Nichkhun answered, stubbornly refusing to say the name of the killer.

            “Give me the letter.” Marshal Lee ordered.

            Nichkhun hesitates to give him the letter. Marshal Lee hold his right hand out and wait for the letter.

            “Nichkhun?” Marshal Lee said.

            Nichkhun grit his teeth as he hands over the letter. Marshal Lee open it and read the letter quietly to himself. He glances at Nichkhun then back at the letter. He knew very well that Nichkhun know who’s the letter from, but he continues to force him. Nichkhun stubbornly will not answer him. He folds the letter and shredded it into piece.

            “Father?” the anxious Doojoon wanted to stop but it was too late.

            “It didn’t say who, but whoever wrote this letter want to separate the all of you.” Said Marshal Lee looking at Doojoon and then Nichkhun. “I don’t want us hating and killing each other. No one want this to happen. We could only blame ourselves for the death of teacher Yoo and I know he doesn’t want us to fall apart either. The world is in chaos. We have rebels every everywhere. If we fight each other than aren’t we falling into their trap?” Said Marshal Lee. All three brothers lower their head. “Right now, we will have a farewell ceremony and royal bury for Teacher Yoo in three days.”

            “Yes, father.” The three sons bow their head.

            Doojoon turns and looks at Nichkhun, “Sorry for yelling at you early.”

            Nichkhun flash a weak smile. “It’s alright. We are brother. I understand that the news caught us of guard. I don’t blame you. I can only blame myself for being careless. I’m sorry Doojoon.”

            Doojoon smiles and give Nichkhun a pat on the left shoulder. “Let’s focus only on the funeral and those who try to harm our family.” He said. Nichkhun nods.

While the sons and father are having a meeting, Taeyeon, who followed Nichkhun a minute later, stand outside and waits worriedly for him. She anxiously grabs onto her dress. So-hee, who walks by, see Taeyeon standing in front of the grand conference room. Remember the death of her father, her eyes fill with anger as she looks at Taeyeon. She walks over to her. Taeyeon heard someone walking up to her, she turns and sees So-hee in front of her.

            “Are you waiting for Nichkhun?” So-hee asked.

            “Yes.” Taeyeon answered. “I know why he was sent to the room.”

            “You do?” So-hee tries to hold back her anger as she looks at Taeyeon. Taeyeon nod lightly. “Then tell me, who killed my father?”

            “I’m sorry I can’t tell you. Even I don’t know who killed Teacher Yoo, but he is Nichkhun’s teacher, so he’s death is also my fault.” Said Taeyeon, taking the blame. “I should have disagreed with his plan. I should have told Nichkhun to go with Teacher Yoo instead with me. Nichkhun refused to let me go back alone.”

            “To protect you, he let his teacher go by himself.” Said So-hee with hatred eyes. “because of you. I lost my father.”

            “I’m sorry.” Taeyeon lowers her head with guilt.

            “You knew very well how important Nichkhun is to him. Why did you suggest the plan to go to Kimch’on to him? If you didn’t, he would still be alive.” So-hee said with anger.

            “I didn’t know this would happen. I just wanted to ask him for advice.” Said Taeyeon.

            “It’s your fault that I lost my father.” So-hee raised her anger voice at Taeyeon once again.

            The doors open, Nichkhun immediately walks up to Taeyeon and hold her right hand and stand in front of her. He looks at So-hee with sharp and fierce gaze. “If you want to blame someone for the death of Teacher Yoo than blame me. Taeyeon has nothing to do with this. Teacher Yoo’s death was my fault.” He said.

            So-hee looks at him in shock, especially how protective of how he is to Taeyeon.

            “She’s in pain as well.” Said Nichkhun.

            Doojoon steps in front of So-hee and shake his head, signaling her to stop. “Father is here. He wishes us not to speak of it.” He said.           

            So-hee looks away in tears.

             Marshal Lee walks out of the room, “It’s getting late. You all should get some rest. The next couple days will be busy.” He said before he walks away from the group and up the stairs to his room.

            Nichkhun and Taeyeon walk back to her room on the other side of the mansion as well as Doojoon and So-hee. Seung-gi watches them leave for a second before he heads back to his room.

            As they walk in the hallway to their manor on the left of the Main Mansion, Nichkhun holds tightly onto Taeyeon hand. She looks at him from the side, waiting for him to say something, but nothing. She worriedly looks ahead of her.

            “Why did you come to the conference room?” Nichkhun asked. “You should have stayed in the bedroom.”

            “I was afraid father will punish you.” Said Taeyeon with concern.

            Nichkhun stops and looks at her in surprise. He questioned himself if what he just heard was delusional…a dream or was it real. She’s concern about him.

            “I couldn’t just stand and watch. It’s also my fault that Teacher Yoo died. If only you went with Teacher Yoo, none of this would happen...”

            Nichkhun pulls her to his embrace. He tightly wraps his arm around her. The shock Taeyeon froze in his arms. “If I choose to go with the teacher and the same thing happen on you, I would regret my whole life for not being able to protect you. If anything were to happen to you, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself.” He said.   

            Taeyeon’s right hand unknowingly rest on Nichkhun’s upper back. “Nichkhun…” She whispered. She’s wordless. Only standing still like a mannequin in his arms. A man she has doubt whether if he’s true to her or not.

* * * * *

[The next day]

            Doojoon enter the restaurant with Soo Geun and walks up to a table that’s in a corner behind the curtain, isolate from other tables in the restaurant. Soo Geun holds up the curtain for Doojoon. The two is greeted with a beautiful smile. A familiar face that Doojoon saw yesterday.

            “You are late Governor Lee.” Said Hani, holding a glass of wine and swirl it lightly. “You ask me to come out to meet you but you’re late, shouldn’t you be punished.”

            Soo Geun bow to her, “I’m sorry Miss Ahn. I had to take care of a few things before I can come here.” He said.           

            Hani looks at Doojoon and smiles, “You must be the second master of the Lee’s family.”

            Doojoon only lightly nods then takes a seat across the table while Soo Geun sits next to Hani.

            “Would you like a drink?” She hands him her glass of wine.

            “I’m sorry. The family is mourning right now. Alcohol is inappropriate at this time.” Said Doojoon with a blunt face.

            “Ahh, I see.” Said Hani, putting the glass of wine down on the table. “So, what is the reason why you ask me to come here, Governor Lee?” She asked him. 

“Miss Ahn, I would like to ask you something first before I answer your question. What is the difference you see in second master and third master of the Lee family?”

            Hani looks at Doojoon, closely observing his facial structure. Doojoon looks away, careless at what she thinks. She let out a soft smile. “Men and their games.” She said before taking a sip from the glass of wine. “Honestly, I don’t want to interfere with what ever you men are playing. Let me ask you, are you fighting for a woman? Like every men else that’s fighting the war. All they want is women.”

            “You are wrong. I’m not fighting for a woman. I’m fighting for the world.” Said Doojoon. “Especially what belong to me. Please excuse me.” He stand and leave the restaurant.

            Soo Geun and Hani watch him leave. “With that answer of his, he definitely lost.” Said Hani.

            Soo Geun facial expression change to dull yet selfish looks. 

            “How do you know?” Soo Geun asked.

            “He’s overly confident and stubborn yet his eyes fill with passion. With his answer, I know he fights the world for a woman and the inheritance. He will be easily deceived in the future.”

            Soo Geun nodded his head lightly, acknowledging her words. He knows that what she says is true. The brothers are secretly fighting for the family inheritance as well as the world. Though he supports Doojoon, however, he knows Hani support Nichkhun. It’s the reason why he brought Doojoon to meet with her today, in hope, to convince her to change her mind and join Doojoon. He failed to change her mind.

* * * * *

            Kangin walks down the dark alley, looking back and forth making sure no one is following him. He makes a couple turn, left-right-left, then stops in front of an old house. He knocks twice lightly and takes a step back. The door open. A man bows before he steps aside to let him enter. Kangin walks to enter the house and walks up to the group of people in the middle of the room. A man in his late forties wears a black hat and long dark long jacket waits for Kangin arrival.

            “Marshal Lee.” Kangin bow to him.

            “It’s nice to see you again.” Said Juk-Suk. “Now that you have successfully joined the Lee Army, you must be careful of Nichkhun and Seung-gi.”

            “Yes, sir.”

            “This mission is very important and dangerous. After we failed to assassinate Lee Yun, he will have his people searching for us. Everyone must be careful. We cannot be defeated. I’m plan this for year and gone this far. There no going back. We can only succeed. The most important is that we must protect Kangin.”

            “Yes, sir.” Every man bowed.

            “You have succeeded in getting into the Lee’s Army and successfully killed Jae Suk. Our next step is the second master of the Lee’s Family Nichkhun. He’s not easy to handle.” Said Juk-Suk.

            “The second master of the Lee’s family is known as a playful master with a careless mind. Why focus on him?” One of the men asked.

            “That’s what he wants the people to think, but he’s actually careful and observes. He takes every step carefully.” Said Kangin.

            “We must get rid of Nichkhun before he seizes full power of the Lee’s Army.” Said Juk-Suk.

            They all bow their head, accepting the mission.

            “Keep in touch. My men will be around the city.” Said Juk-Suk.

            “Yes, sir.” Said Kangin.

* * * * *

            The lonely night, Nichkhun enter a room fills with white funeral flowers in two rows, facing each other. He walks up to Jaesuk picture hanging on the wall with two big flowers rings and place the glasses on the table. Nichkhun pulls the cap of the bottle and pour whiskey into the two glasses halfway.

            “Teacher.” Nichkhun said he hold a glass of half-filled whiskey. “I came to drink with you.” A moment of silent as he hold back his tears and looking at Jaesuk picture. Jaesuk smiles give him the sense of security and hope in the world, but the thought of him killed by Yonghwa angers him. “Teacher, I’m sorry I couldn’t be there to protect you as well. I should have known that it was a trap. If only I knew…. none of this would happen. You would be here drinking with me…. All this years you have taught me, care for me, and show the meaning of life in the world. Yet I can’t protect you. I am a shame to your student. You’ve safe Taeyeon and I from death.” Nichkhun chug the whiskey. “When you were alive. I never understand anything in this world… but now I know. I promise you I will avenge you. I promise I will not back down anymore… I will protect the Yoo’s inheritance and property.”

            So-hee enters the room in tears after she heard everything from the door. Nichkhun heard and turn around. He sees So-hee crying by the door. The sad and painful So-hee runs up to him, embraces him tightly as she cries on his shoulder. Nichkhun lifts his left hand up and lightly patted her back a couple. So-hee tightens her grip around his waist as she continues to cry. Nichkhun grabs on So-hee’s shoulder and pulls her away.

            “Second sis.” Nichkhun said as he guiltily yet sadly looks at her. “If other sees, it wouldn’t be good.”

            So-hee grabs his left hand and bite him. Nichkhun grunt quietly and sees little blood.

            “How could you?” So-hee asked him in tear.

            “I’m sorry, but please don’t include Taeyeon in this. She did nothing wrong.” Said Nickhun. 

            Taeyeon was going enter the room but stop when she heard Nichkhun talking to someone and stay hidden behind the door.

            So-hee hissed lightly, “She was the reason why he died. She was the reason that I lost my father.” She said in angry. “Why are you defending her?”

            “Because she’s my wife. I made the choice. If I didn’t let him go back by himself. He would still be alive.”

            “You chose to protect her over my father. A man that taught you since you were a child. A man that gave you love and care for you.”

            Nichkhun remorsefully looks away.

            “All these years, our feeling cannot be compared to the one-year marriage with her?” Said So-hee as she looks at sad and painful tears.

            Stay hidden behind the doors, Taeyeon unknowingly feels nervous and a little jealous as she listens to their conversation. Those feelings continue to build inside of her and if she continues to listen, she feels like she’s going to explode any second soon. She couldn’t bare it anymore and left.

            “I’m sorry So-hee. The feeling I have for you is no more than a sibling, a little sister.”

            The heartbroken So-hee looks at him in tears. All those years, she thought that they had a special feeling for each other, but she was wrong. His words have torn her heart in half. Unable to bare the pain, So-hee runs out of the room in tears. Nichkhun could only sigh as he looks at the bite mark on his hand. He grabs a white handkerchief from his pant pocket and places it over the bite. Nichkhun looks the pictures again and grabs the second glass of whiskey and chug it.

            Taeyeon enters the room and close the door. She rests her back against the door with her hands resting at her chest. She feels her heart beating fast against her palm as mix feeling runs in her. “No Taeyeon. Don’t think about anything else. Your marriage with him was just a show… a contract. Nothing more.”

 

To be continued………………………..