Ch. 2: Are you coming back with me?

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

            The bombs continue to explode eight miles away from the Lee’s campsite in the Northern of Korea. A man enters the main tent at the base and salutes to a young general standing in front of a three-dimensional map display on the table.

            “Lieutenant General Lee.” The man salutes him.

            “Report, Major Im.” Said Doojoon.

            “We’ve been heavily hit. We are slowly being pushed back.” Said Major Im.

            Doojoon picks up a yellow flag that places 8 miles away from the tent. “Five miles before they reach us.” He said to himself.

            A soldier runs into the tent and salute. “Report sir!”

            “Speak.”

            “We receive a memo from the Southern side. Lieutenant General Nichkhun says to remain still and not retreat. If we survive the first wave, we will win the war.” The soldier reported.

            After the message was delivered, Doojoon looks at the flags on the enemy side of the field that he can display on the three-dimensional maps.

            “General?” Major Im called him, waiting for the next order.

            “I get it now.” Said Doojoon as he moves to the enemy side on the map. “The Choi’s army has set three waves. The first wave is the heaviest. The second is the guards. The third is the weakest.”

            “Why did he make the third the weakest this time?” Major Im asked.

            “If they make the first wave the strongest and the second to be on standby, there’s no need to send the third wave.” Doojoon explained calmly. “How many more cannonballs do we have left?”

            “About five cases.” Said Major Im.

            “Our reinforce and supplies will be arriving in five hours. The five cases should be able to get us through the first wave.” Said Doojoon as he thinks carefully for a moment. He picks up two little flags from his side and places it in the middle where the attack is happening. “I want the right and left wing at full force. Order the soldiers to fire all five cases of bombs.” He commanded.

            “Yes, sir.” Said the soldier before he runs out of the tent to deliver the message.

            “General, will the supply make it here on time?” Major Im asked, worriedly.

            “It will. Once the reinforce arrive and the supplies are here. We will make another full round of attack.” Said Doojoon, confidently. “Even though my little brother is not here, however, he was able to see through the enemy’s plan. Once this war is over, I can go home. I hope he will come home as well.”

            “Should I send someone to go pick him up?” Major Im suggested.

            “No. If will come home if he wants too. Even if you send an army to go get him, he will not come home. This brother of mine is stubborn. Just let him be.” Said Doojoon

            “Yes, sir.” Said Major Im.

            The phone in the main tent ring. The messenger answered the called and then looks at Doojoon. “General, there’s a phone call for you.”

            Doojoon walks over to the messenger and takes the phone call. “Hello?”

            “Doojoon, it’s first sister. Urgent matter.” Said Yeon-Seo.

Doojoon signal the messenger to leave before he can continue. “What’s the matter, sister-in-law.”

“Father was assassinated.” Said Yeon-Seo.

            “What!”

            “Luckily it only his lower abdominal, away from the kidney.”

            “How is he doing?”

            “He’s recovering right now. I can’t say much, but you must come home soon. The family is being followed.”

            “I will be home soon, sister-in-law.” Said Doojoon before he handed the messenger the phone back and hands roll tightly into a fury fist.

* * * * *

The sunset and the moon rise. Nichkhun standing by the bar in his office with a glass of whiskey sitting on the counter in front of him.  He picks up the glass and takes another sip. Taeyeon opens the door and enters the room. She walks up to him, stopping five feet away from him like this morning. Nichkhun put the glass down on the counter and looks up at the bottles of alcohols sitting on the shelves behind the counter. A sound of the explosive bomb can be heard in the room. Taeyeon was unsure if the army was testing the bomb or invasion have happen not too far from his place.

            “Why aren’t you asleep? It’s late already?” Said Nichkhun in a dull tone.

            “I came to ask you again.” Said Taeyeon. “Will you come back with us?”

            Nichkhun lowers his head and chuckles lightly. “Of course, you would come to ask me the same question.” He said to himself. He stands and turns around to look at her beautiful face before he walks up to her. He takes a deep breath and he speaks. “Isn’t there something else you can say to me beside asking me the same question. Maybe a different question to ask me? Like if I miss you these past months? Have I been living well this past month? Any other questions besides the one you have already asked me twice today?”

            Taeyeon nervous gulp as she looks into his eyes and hesitates to answer him. His sharp and charisma eyes make her nervous and look away from him as she searches for an answer.

            “If you don’t want to answer than I have nothing else to say to you.” Said Taeyeon, reticently. She turns around and was about to head toward the door until Nichkhun grabs her right wrist, turn her back around, and wrap his right arm around her little waist. He pulls her closer to him. The shock Taeyeon rest her left hand on his right arm and the right hand at his chest, stopping him from making any more advantage moves. He takes another good look at her beautiful face. Another explosion went off. It startles her a little.

            “Scared?” Nichkhun asked in a soft tone.

            “Let go of me.” Said Taeyeon as she tries to push him away.

            Nichkhun tightens his right arm around her, holding her close to him. “It has been a long time since we’ve been this close.” He lowers his head. Taeyeon turns her head to the right—afraid that he will kiss her. He laughs quietly and lightly then smell her sense from her beautiful hair. “You still use the same product. The sense suits you very well.”

            “Let go of me. Teacher Yoo is under the same roof and awake.” Said Taeyeon, nervously.

            “Why are you worry? We are married. There’s nothing wrong with a husband wanting to be close to his dearly beloved wife.” Said Nichkhun, sweetly.

            Taeyeon turns her head and looks at him with the ‘oh-really’ yet blunt facial expression. “Dearly beloved wife?” she repeated.

            “Why are you looking at me like that?”

            “I think you misunderstood. From my perspective, I’m the mistress and the other woman that has been beside you is the wife.”

            Nichkhun chuckles lightly. “Jealous?” He asked in a playful tone. “Shouldn’t you be used to that by now?” He said, cockily. “Let’s clarified this first before you answer me. The woman I married is you. The woman I want to have as my wife is you, not her. She’s just a friend.” 

            “A friend that you often spend time with and even spent the night at her place.” Taeyeon continues with the harsh words. “I think there’s no need to clarify any more. Don’t worry, I’m used to seeing you with women. Even if have a child with her, I careless. So, can you please let me go now.”

            The soft looks disappear and replace by the cold pairs of eyes. He let her go and walks back to the counter. He picks up the glass and finishes the drink in one drink.

            “You should go back to the room and rest.” He said.

             Taeyeon leaves the room and walks back to his room. The absent mind Taeyeon walks up to bookshelves and looks at the pictures of his mother in a frame.

            She picks up the frame and takes a closer looks at his mom. “He has his mom’s eyes and smiles,” Taeyeon whispered softly in her head.

 

* * * * *

            The next day……

            Taeyeon wakes up to an empty room as the sun shine brightly through the window into the room. Her personal maid, Sunny, enter the room with a tray of breakfast place on the coffee table at the center of the room.

            “Good morning, Taeyeon.”

            Taeyeon walks up to her, “Have you seen Nichkhun?” She asked.

            “The third master is out in the garden with a few others.” Said Sunny. “Is there anything else I can get for you?”

            “Thank you. There’s none.” Said Taeyeon.

             “The third master asked me to deliver you a message when you are awake. He’s going for a walk up the mountain with his adjutants and wants to ask if you would like to join him today?” Sunny said.

            Taeyeon vacillates for a short moment before she looks at Sunny and nod.

            “I’ll get you the clothes.” Said Sunny went to the closet and grabs a pant and navy button top. She walks into the bathroom and places it by the sink then leave the bathroom. “I would like to let you know that Miss Hyoyeon is here to see you.” 

            “Let me change first. Please send her up here.” Said Taeyeon. Sunny nods lightly. Taeyeon walks into the bathroom to change.  

            Sunny walks out of the room down to the grand living room and Hyoyeon up to the room.

            “Please wait here, my lady will be out soon to see you.” Said Sunny.

            “Thank you.” Said Hyoyeon.

            Sunny bow and leaves the room. Five minutes later, Taeyeon walks out of the bathroom change in white bottom pant, black boot, white top and red jacket. She looks at a woman sitting on the couch and waiting for her.

“Hyoyeon.” She happily walks up to Hyoyeon and gives her a hug.

            “Taeyeon, it’s good to see you again.” Said Hyoyeon happily, before the hug ended. She notices how Taeyeon have gotten so pretty over a year. “You’ve turned into a beautiful swan. You turn into a mature woman now.”

            Taeyeon smiles, “How have you been? What are you doing here?” She asked.

            “I’ve been good. I’m here in place for my teacher to go for a walk in the mountain with the third master.” Said Hyoyeon, “It’s been so long since we’ve seen each other. During that one year, I’ve taken the next step in life and study law. I didn’t want to sit around and do nothing, I studied about politic and now because part of it. I’m currently assisting Lawyer Jo, who’s working for your husband.”

            “You should not have come here. It’s dangerous here.” Said Taeyeon, worriedly.

            “It’s dangerous everywhere. Nowhere is safe until the war ended for good.” Said Hyoyeon. “Rather than sitting still and wait, why not participates and become something to prevent war from happening, people dying, or any corruption in our country.”

            Taeyeon was astounded by her words, “You’ve changed so much.”

            “For the better goods.”

            “I heard The Hwang army led by Chansung to attack the city. I also heard that you came to the city, so I immediately came here to take you away.” Said Hyoyeon.

            “What! We're going to be under-attack?” Taeyeon was shocked as she looks at Hyoyeon.

            “Yes. The leader of the Hwang’s army has declared war on the city a few days ago. The citizen of the cities is frightened day by day.” Said Hyoyeon in worries. “The thicken the doors. Barricade any opens with woods and bricks. Did you not see them when you pass through the streets?”

            Taeyeon recalled passing the citizen selling products in the street with fear and worries face. Men carrying thick woods home and nailing it against the window.

            “Was there any innocent killed in the war? Any injuries between the two armies?” Said Taeyeon as she feels a sudden heaviness in her chest.

            “No. No injuries. Luckily, the war was called off. Nichkhun has given up the Mount Songni to the Hwang’s army as a trade for the city peacefulness.” Said Hyoyeon. “Lawyer Jo thought that Nichkhun will go to war with the Hwang’s army, but after walking around the city with him a couple days. Nichkhun sent his messenger to the Hwang’s army and delivered a message. A day later, the war was called off.”

            “He gave up the mountain for the people?” She whispered to herself. “No wonder father was no happy to hear about it.”

            “What?”

            “Nothing.” Taeyeon shakes her head, ‘no’.

            Taeyeon would never expect a cold and arrogant man like him would think of the citizen's life. Hearing all of this from her close friend, Taeyeon could help but have a second thought of him.

* * * * *

           

            Sitting under the roof on the patio, Nichkhun enjoys the day with a cup of tea in his hand. Two of his adjutants are also at the same table as him.   

            “General, we receive a report from the Second Master’s messenger today. The war had ended. We won another territory in the North.” Said Wooyoung.

            “Anything else from my brother?”

            “No, sir.” Said Wooyoung.

            “Who was in charge of the Choi Army?”

            “The army was led by Choi Minho’s assistant, Lieutenant Yoon.” Said Junho.

            “Yoon Sang-Hyun?”

            “Yes,” Junho answered. “He has escaped back.”

            Nichkhun smiles as he places the cup down on the table. “This is interesting. The Choi Family will not let this go. They will send another army to attack us.”

            “Should we let them know?” Wooyoung asked.

            “No. Let’s wait. They need time to recover. Siwon has just won the war against Southern part of China. Minho is camp at the Southwest of the Choi’s territory. We should not make any rational move. We need time to recover as well.” Said Nichkhun, calmly.

            The sound of claps echoes through their ear as a young man in his mid-twenties walks up to them. The Majors turn to see who it was. They stand with the hands rest on the gun that's placed on the side of their hips.

            “Truly the third master of the Lee family is not a simple man.” Said the mysterious man.

            Nichkhun calmly turns his head and take a look at the mysterious man before he looks at the beautiful green plain with a cup of tea in his hand and drinks the tea.

            “Who are you?” Wooyoung questioned.

            “I’m Kim Kangin sent by the first master to come here and assist you.” Said Kangin with a 90-degrees bow and a calm smile.

            “Assist me? Or to watch what I’m doing here in the south?” Nichkhun questioned as he places the cup down.

            “I can affirm you that I am here to assist you.” Said Kangin.

Nichkhun crosses his left leg over his right and smiles, “Kim Young-Woon son of Professor Kim sign up to study in Japan for two years. Your talent and smartness outrank many top students in the academy, ranking first. Therefore, the headmaster of the Academy permitted you to graduate a year early.” He said, calmly. “The first you did when you came back to Korea was join the Lee’s army under my brother, Seung-gi’s wing, instead of visiting your family and cousin.”

Kangin was surprised how Nichkhun knew so much about him and his past but remain calm in front of him. He takes a second to observe Nichkhun gesture and notice. He smiles serenely. “At first, I thought about visiting them and my cousin. But on my way here, I had a second thought and decided to come here first and sees who and how the third master of the Lee’s family is like in person than the rumors I’ve heard.”

            “Oh really. What did you hear from the people?” Nichkhun said as he looks at Kangin.

            “The three brothers of the Lee’s family each have different personality and achievement. First master, Lieutenant General Seung-gi, is an excellent general of the Lee’s army that match the father names. The second master, Lieutenant General Doojoon, is not too far behind from the first. He excels in commanding army and braveness live up the Lee’s name. and as for the third master of the Lee family…..” Kangin paused. Nichkhun tilts his head as he waits for Kangin to finish. “Is known for is playful and arrogant characters that like to relax and drink.”

Nichkhun chuckles lightly.

             “But from I what see, I think they are wrong about the third master of the Lee Family. I see boldness with a calm yet strategical mind. If the time is not right, then you will remain quiet until the time is right. Marshal General Lee Yun is well-known in Korea for an outstanding achievement and wits, and so, all the three sons should live up to its’ name.”

            Nichkhun lightly nodded his head, “You are a smart man.”

“If I’m not mistaken. The mighty dragon is here waiting for the time to come and conquer the world.” Kangin continues to convince Nichkhun’s his trust.

            Taeyeon and Hyoyeon strolling in the garden, suddenly stop when Hyoyeon sees a familiar figure standing close to where Nichkhun is. Taeyeon and Hyoyeon’ s eyes shock wide when she recognizes the man by the face. Taeyeon feels her heartbeat stop for a second as she continues to look at the standing in front of Nichkhun.

 

To be continued……………