Chapter 13: I will not have your child

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

          Standing by the bar in his master bedroom, Nichkhun enjoys the glass of whiskey in his hand like usual. One after other drinks. Taeyeon sat on the couch behind, sewing a handkerchief by hand. She was minding her own business, trying not to count how many glasses of whiskey he had in the past ten minutes. Yet she could not help but glance at his back from time to time till he turns around. Nichkhun turns and watches her sew peacefully. The calm and beauty soften his heart. Taeyeon looks up and caught his eyes. A moment of silence as she observes his calm eyes gazing at her. Suddenly, he recalled what he heard between her and Mr. Kim before dinner.

[Flashback]

            “I once fall in love with him… waiting for him to return… waiting for him to take me away from here.”

            “If a marriage you do not want then why did you agree in the first place?” Mr. Kim asked.

            “Do I have a choice?” Taeyeon said, in a despairing tone.

[End]

 

            Those words repeat inside his head like knives piercing through his heart a thousand time. Nichkhun turns around, grab the bottle of whiskey, and pour it into the glass. Taeyeon put the un-finished handkerchief down on the table and walks up to him. She grabs onto the glass and takes it away from him, placing it back on the counter table.                   

            “You drank enough already. You just got better from a cold. It’s better if you drink less.” Said Taeyeon with concern.

            “I never knew you can sew?” Said Nichkhun, half-unconscious and half conscious.

            “It’s not hard to learn. I’ve seen father’s special lady sew him many clothes for months. I admired her technique and her passion. Not only is she beautiful but also kind. She’s a very lucky woman to be love.”

            “Love?” Nichkhun hissed. “What are you trying to say? Are you trying to say that my father has been in love with her when he has a wife already? An affair?”

            “That’s not what I mean.”

            “He has loved many and dump many. She’s no different.”

            Taeyeon ignores his words and continues to speak in an admiring tone. “The way they look at each other… I envy them.” Said Taeyeon, “Freely to love, freely to be beside the man she loves.”

            Her words recalled everything again. He leans closer to her, “Are you jealous? Jealous that you’re not in her spot?” He questions. “Or you envy her because she gets to be beside the man she loves but you are not… beside the man, you love and have been waiting for?”

            His words strike her, makes her heart beats fast as she looks into his sharp yet scary eyes. Nichkhun waits for her to answer him… tells him that he is wrong. Tell him that everything he heard was a lie. Yet from her frightened eyes and stiff body, the answer he desires was nothing but silence. His was hurt. He was torn into pieces as he looks into her eyes.

            Taeyeon was shock and speechless. “Could he know?” She whispered inside her head. “Is being my wife really that miserable for you? So miserable that you dislike everything

            I do.” He asked in a sad yet fierce tone. “Not once you show me you care about me. Not once you show me you love me… You always doubt that our marriage was fake. You always say that our marriage was just a show to cover the truth in this house. A house is full of odium, lies, and fear. Your heart must be cold. If only you were with your lover, your heart is warm and love again.”

            Taeyeon was once again speechless. The wait was long and hard for him. He turns facing the door and begins walking toward the door.

            “Being your fake wife is responsible that suffocate me. Only when you are with Hani, I can breathe easier.” She said. Nichkhun stops just five steps away from her with his back still facing her. “I can’t do the duty of a wife. Hani can.”
            “Enough!” Nichkhun exclaimed in anger.

            “I say nothing wrong.” Said Taeyeon in sadness. “We both know the truth. I can’t do the duty as a wife. Hani can do it in my place. She loves you. She can give birth to your child.”

            Nichkhun turns and walks up to her. “I have never been rejected by any women. If I want a child, women will come running to me and be ready to carry my child. What do you think you are?” Nichkhun exclaimed in anger. “Just because I give you everything in the world doesn’t change anything!”

            “You are right. What am I to say such thing to you. You can have any woman in the world. I’m just a normal girl that wants nothing but live peacefully in this world. I never wanted any of this!” Holding back her tears as she speaks to him. Every word he said hurts her. She tells herself repeatedly that she does not love him. She does not care what he says or do. Yet, the pain was real. Her heart was aching hearing the words he says.

            Nichkhun had realized what he just says out in anger. Immediately, he pulls her into his arms. He embraces her tightly, “I’m sorry... I don’t mean those words I say to you. I’m sorry Taeyeon.” He whispered.

            Taeyeon could not hold her tears in any longer. One by one glides down her cheeks. “Lee Nichkhun. You can do whatever you want, I could care less. I want you to know that I will not carry your child.” She said in tears.

            In shock, he releases and looks at her. She was in tears. He was in pain as her words repeat inside his head.

            “I will not carry your child. I will not give you an heir!” She said.

            Nichkhun gritted his teeth as he tries to hold back his tears. He nodded his head lightly in defeat.

            “I will not…”

            Nichkhun turns and rushes out the doors. Taeyeon continues to shed tears as her heart aches. Her legs weakened. She falls to the carpeted floor in tear. Unknowingly, her heart ached. She does not know why, but every word that she had said to him hurt her as well. Tear keep flowing down her eyes.

            “Why does it hurt so much?” She said inside her head. “Why...

            Strolling soullessly in the dark street as a tear slowly gliding down his cheek. Her words repeat inside his head as if she was in front of him and saying to his face over and over again. “Why don’t you love me? Why won’t you bare me a child?.... Do you hate me that much? Do you really want to get away from me?....” His heart was in pain. It was numb as if he was a dead person still moving—walking the dark lonely road. “Everything I did was for you… for your safety. All I want is for you to be safe in this chaotic world… But you don’t see it…”

            Strolling in the street for hours, Nichkhun unknowingly arrives at home. He stood by the gate, staring at his manor. The light to his room was still on. He knew she was still awake.

            “She’s probably praying…. waiting for the one she loves to come to her,” Nichkhun said inside his head. He sighs as he looks at the ground. He turns around and begins walking away from the Lee’s resident.

            “Nichkhun.”

            Nichkhun stop, recognizing the voice. So-hee walks up to him.

            “What are you doing out here this late?” She asked.

            “I want some fresh air. What are you doing up this late?” He asked her in return.

            “Same as you. I wanted some fresh air… something to clear my mind.”

            Nichkhun lightly nodded his head.

            “Can I join you?” So-hee asked, in slight nervous.

            “Sure.” Nichkhun did not hesitate to answer her.

            The two of them stroll the road away from the Lee’s resident.

            “I never get a chance to thank you for returning my father legacy ring.” Said So-hee with smiles.

            “It wasn’t me. It was Taeyeon and First sister.”

            Her smiles disappear.

            “I see…” She said almost in a whispered. “I—” Her words were cut off by a hit in the back, knocking her out.

            Nichkhun turn. A branch swing at him in the face, knocking him out as well. Two men come out from the bushes and assist the other two to the vehicle hiding behind multiple trees down the road.

* * * * *

[The next morning at the dining room]

 

            Walking up to the sound of the birding chirping by her window, Taeyeon slowly opens her eyes. She looks at the ceiling first then left and right. She did not see Nichkhun anywhere in the room.

            “He didn’t come home last night.” She whispered.

            Taeyeon got out of bed to the living room of her master bedroom. “Sunny.” She called her.

            Sunny enters with and bows her head, “You called young third lady?” She asked.

            “Have you seen young third master?” Taeyeon asked.

            “No, my lady,” Sunny answered. “Is there anything else I can do for you, my lady?”

            “No. You may leave.”

            Sunny bow her head before she leaves the room. Taeyeon hurriedly washes up and change before she heads down to the dining room.

            Taeyeon entered the room and heard Doojoon speak in a fierce and loud tone.

            “Father, So-hee have been gone missing. We must send soldiers out to find her.” He said.

            “Mobilizing the whole entire army will cause a commotion.” Said Seung-gi.

            “What other plan do you have? My wife is missing.” Doojoon raises his tone. “What will you do if your wife went missing?”

            General. Lee inhale and exhale. He looks up and sees Taeyeon at the door. “Where is Nichkhun?”

            “He was not home since last night.” Taeyeon answered.

            Upon hearing her word anger Doojoon even more. He hands rolls into a tight fist. A soldier hurries into the room with an envelope in his hand. He stops at the entrance and bow.

            “Marshal Lee, I have a letter for you.” Said the soldier.

            “So-hee and Nichkhun have been held imprisoned
            Marshal Lee signal him to bring the letter up to him. The soldier hands him the letter with his head bow. Marshal Lee takes the letter. The soldier walks backward away from General, excusing himself from the room. Marshal Lee open the letter and read it. Everyone waits patiently. Marshal Lee roll the letter into a ball.
theenemy.” said General Lee.
by

            Taeyeon heart’s stop beating for a second as she worriedly thinks about Nichkhun.

            “By who?” Said Doojoon in an anxious and worry tone. “What did they ask for?”

            “They didn’t say anything else but informing us. They just want us to know that both are in their hands.” Said Marshal Lee. “Who’s ever behind does not just simply ask for money. The spy is close to revealing itself to us.”

            “Father.” Seung-gi looks at the serious face of Marshal Lee. The face that will terrify those who dare to stand in his way.

            Taeyeon eyes’ jolt wide as she stares at the blank space in front of her. “Kangin.” She whispered inside her head.

            “Seung-gi, I want to you send a unit to find Nichkhun and So-hee. I want another unit tracking down the spy. I don’t care if I have to turn this city upside down. Find me the spy.” Marshal Lee order.

            “Understood.” Seung-gi bows his head.

            Marshal Lee looks at Doojoon, “You stay low.” He said.

            Doojoon reluctantly bows his head.

            Taeyeon quietly leaves the room. “Could it be?.... Kangin is the one behind this? I have found him and ask.”
           
Taeyeon.”  Yeon-Seo called.

            Taeyeon stops and turn around. She sees Seung-gi and Yeon-seo walking up to her.

            “First brother. First sister.” Taeyeon greeted them.

            “Where are you going in such a hurry?” Seung-gi asked.

            “I—I want to go look for Nichkhun.” Said Taeyeon.

            “By yourself?” Said Yeon-seo, half-shockingly. “It’s too dangerous.”

            “Do you have a plan?” Seung-gi asked.

            Taeyeon shook her head no.

            “I know you're worried about Nichkhun but doing things alone, especially you’re a girl. It’s dangerous.” Said Yeon-seo.

            “Why do I feel like you will be able to find him?” Seung-gi said as he looks at Taeyeon with curious yet serious eyes. “I feel like you seem to have a clue.”

            “I—I don’t. I know someone… a friend might be able to help me find him.” Said Taeyeon.
            Seung-gi nod. “Just don’t do anything rationally.” He said.

            Taeyeon nods. She bows her head before she leaves.

* * * * *

            Sitting in his room at the Lee’s resident. Taeyeon enters the room.

            “Kangin.” She called him.

            Kangin stop what he was doing and stand, facing her.

            “Nichkhun… he’s missing. Did you do it?” She asked.

            Kangin was slightly but remain calm. “No.” He said.

            Taeyeon hesitates to speak again as she looks at him with questions.

            “I know what you are thinking. It’s not me. I did not send any command.” Said Kangin. “When did this happen? How did you find out he went missing?”

            “We received a letter from the kidnapper. They have both So-hee and Nichkhun. They didn’t ask for anything, only to inform us the Nichkhun and So-hee’s life is in their hand.” Said Taeyeon, worriedly. “It’s all my fault. I should have never argued with him. He would never leave the house if it wasn’t for me.”

            Looking deeply into her eyes, Kangin sees a spark of worries and love for Nichkhun. It saddens him, but he hid it from her. 

            “I do not what to do. Father send Seung-gi to search for Nichkhun, but I fear if the kidnapper finds out a unit of the Lee’s army is searching for them, Nichkhun’s life will be at risk.”

            “Taeyeon… you care about him.” Kangin said almost in a whispered mix with sadness. “I’ve never seen you so worried about anyone but your parent.”

            “I—I…” Taeyeon stuttered. She looks away for a second before she looks at him again. “He’s my husband.”

            Kangin inhale. He understands what she meant.

            “I need your help.” Said Taeyeon.

            Kangin nod. “I’ll do the work. You stay here and wait for my return.” He said, “Do not leave the house or do anything on your own.”

            Taeyeon nod without hesitation.

            Kangin grabs his jacket before he takes off. Taeyeon watches him leave with her hands at her chest…. praying silently to herself. “Nichkhun, please be safe.”

 

To be continued……………………