Ch. 9: We meet again, old friend

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

            “That’s ‘if’.” Said Nichkhun as he walks into the camp with him holding a major by the collar and pointing the gun at the major head. He stops just a couple of feet away from the ladies and released the Major.

            The soldiers surround him with guns until General Hwang wave them away.

            “General Hwang.” Nichkhun greeted him with a like head bow and then looks at Chansung with a smirk, “Chansung, it nice to see you again.”

            “Lee Nichkhun.” General Hwang laughs. “I thought the Lee’s are cowards that only send the ladies to do their work. Finally, a man brave enough to face me.”

            Taeyeon walks up to him and looks at him with worried eyes. “Don’t make any more trouble.” She whispered to him.

            Nichkhun gaze at her with warm smiles and sees a strand of hair hanging at her cheek. He gently slides the strand to the side. Taeyeon gulps nervously as she fills her heart beating fast again.

            “It’s just a fight. One of my favorite things and I’m also good at it.” Said Nichkhun confidently. He eyes stroll to General Hwang again. “It’s a fight between men, why involve a woman? I’ll take her place.”

            “Good. A deal must be settled. If you win against to my people within half of the incense stick, then I will return the ring back to you.” Said General Hwang.

            “Done.” Said Nichkhun as he begins to take off his jacket. He looks at Taeyeon. “I’ll be fine.”

            “Nichkhun…” Taeyeon calls him back, but he was too stubborn to listened to her.  

            Nichkhun places his jacket on the wagon and rolls up his sleeve. He steps onto the stage. 

            Yeon-seo grab onto Taeyeon right arm, “Taeyeon, what if he loses?”

            Taeyeon looks at Nichkhun, “He won’t.” She said with hope.

            “Alright, let’s begin.” Said General Hwang loudly.

            Another man, twice bigger than Nichkhun in build walks out from the crowded and threw two other men that were on stage aside. Nichkhun turns and was slightly shocked to see a different opponent. Seeing another man on the stage frighten Taeyeon as she looks at Nichkhun from behind.  The big and well build man begin to attack with head bud to which Nichkhun quickly dodge to the left and moves back away. The man continues with fierce and strong attacks—punching and grabbing. Nichkhun ducks all and attack back with a couple fist. The man overpowers his punches with a return jump knee kick. Nichkhun blocks it with both arm and flies back, hitting the wagon. Nichkhun grunt in pain a little. The man makes a run with his fist in the air. Nichkhun twist and turn, sending a flip kick on the man head. The man takes a couple step back away and shakes his head a couple time before he charges at Nichkhun again. With deadly punch, kicks, and grip. Nichkhun shirt with torn off while the man with rip a little. Taeyeon grip tightly onto her little pouches as she sees Nichkhun flying in the air from corner to corner as he takes the hits. Nichkhun does everything he can to drag time, but at the hits were deadly as if it wants to take his life here on the stage. He was able to grab to the man’s neck with his leg and tries to flip the man but was lift and thrown to the ground. Nichkhun grunts in pain again and did not let go. He successfully flips the man, immediately got up and throws repeated punches. The man blocks it with his two arms. Taeyeon looks over at the incense. It was only halfway through. She pleads quietly inside her head for the incense to burn faster. She could not bear to see Nichkhun injured anymore. The fights continue with Nichkhun taking lots of hits while the man hit 6 times.

            “The third master of the Lee’s family is always known to be playful and a womanizer. But not all rumors are true.” Said General Hwang. “He's very well trained. He’s different from his brothers….That old man is sure lucky.”

            “Father, maybe we should stop this. If anything were to happen to him and the ladies of the Lee’s family. It will cause another great war.” Said Chansung in worry tone.

            “Hmph. I am not afraid of the Lee’s Family.” Said General Hwang. “This is his deal. He’s the one asking for it.”

            “Father, please stop.” Yeon-seo begged.

            The man grabs onto Nichkhun again and lifts him up. Nichkhun takes this advantage and grabs his head. He sends a fierce punch at the forehead. The man let go of him. Nichkhun quickly jumps onto his feet.

            “Ahhhhhh!” The man growl as he fiercely charges at Nichkhun.

            “Time’s up!” A soldier shouts.

            Both stop and stand facing General Hwang.

            “Not bad. You have moves and braveness. I was right about you.” Said General Hwang. “You can take the ring back.” Marshal Hwang leaves the scene.

            Taeyeon and Yeon-seo sigh in relief. Breathing heavily, Nichkhun looks at Taeyeon who quickly turn away, hiding the worries tears circling her eyes. A tear escapes her eyes and glides down her cheek as she inhales and exhales heavily in relief. Yeon-seo saw the tears, she grabs onto Taeyeon’s hands and gently wipes the tear away.

            “Me too.” Said Yeon-seo.

            Taeyeon knew what Yeon-seo was saying to her. She was scared and terrified seeing Nichkhun being thrown in the air and hits. She was scared that he might not make it through. She was scared out of her life for the first time. She thanks above that it was over and he’s safe. 

            Chansung signal a soldier to bring a shirt to Nichkhun. The soldier quickly went to grab one for him. Nichkhun grabs his jacket that was on the wagon and walks up to Taeyeon. A soldier walks up to Nichkhun with a shirt on the tray. Nichkhun takes it and put it on. Taeyeon inhales and exhales couple times before she faces him and helps him button up the shirt. Nichkhun was a little surprise by Taeyeon action. He looks down and sees her eyes red. Her eyelids were still wet. She grabs the jacket that was on the table and helps him wear it. He couldn’t help but quietly smiles.

            “I told you I would be fine.” Said Nichkhun in a soft tone.

            Taeyeon did not say anything, afraid that once she opens she will show her weak side to him.

            Another soldier walks up to them with a tray in their hand. Sitting on the tray was a medium size black box that holds the ring inside.

            Chansung grabs the ring and hands it to Nichkhun. “Here is Teacher Yoo’s ring.”

            “Thank you.” Said Nichkhun with smiles. “Next time we meet, let’s have a meal.”

            Chansung nods. “No goat meat. I prefer beef.”

            “That was for the soldiers to try it out and it’s good for men.” Said Nichkhun with a smile. Chansung understood what he meant. “Why don’t you and first sister talk. Taeyeon and I will wait outside.”

            Chansung nodded his head a couple time. Nichkhun holds Taeyeon’s left hand and leaves the camp. Chansung reaches for Yeon-seo hands and holds it up between them, “Big sis, if you have time, please come back and visit more often.” He said.

            “I will.” Said Yeon-seo. “You should take good care of yourself. You are at the age now, find a woman your dream and get married.”

            Chansung laughs lightly, “Big sis, I’m old now. Stop treating me like a little kid.”

            “How can I not? No matter how old you get, you will always be my little brother.” Said Yeon-seo, neatly adjusting his outfit. “I have to go leave now. Take good care of father on my behalf.”

            “I will big sis.”

            Yeon-seo sighed before she let go of his hand and leave.

            Waiting in front of the camp, Nichkhun leans his back against the car with the hidden happy face as he looks at Taeyeon.

            Taeyeon nervously looks at the ground as she holds tightly onto her little pouch. “Does it still hurt?” she said almost in a whispered.

            Nichkhun slides his hand inside his pockets and takes a deep breath as he takes a quick a look at the sky then down at Taeyeon. “No.” He answered. “Not as much as before. Next time, don’t gamble your life.” He lowers his head. “Your life is mine.” His voice turns sweet as he moves his head closer to her.

            “If I did not do it, innocent will have died because of me.” Said Taeyeon, nervously. “By the way, why did you come? You said you were going to visit your old friend.” She looks up and realizes how close their face is to each other. Suddenly, a heat wave rises to her cheek.

            “Chansung is also an old friend of mine as well.” Said Nichkhun.

            Taeyeon moves her head back a little and then looks at the entrance. She sees Chansung walking Yeon-seo out.

            “Their relationship is close. After today, when will they get a chance to see each other again.” Said Taeyeon.

            Nichkhun looks to his left and sees Chansung giving Yeon-seo a hug then looks back at Taeyeon who’s eyes on the sibling. “Maybe in a long time. However, compared to a couple who live together and sees each other every day. They are nothing like the sibling relationship Chansung and Yeon-seo have. If only, the other side cherishes the time spent with their partner.”

            Taeyeon knew what he was saying and who he was talking about. Their relationship is indeed cannot be compared to the Chansung and Yeon-seo or Seung-gi and Yeon-seo relationship. Their marriage was just in name, nothing like a real couple. It has been a year, and both are still stranger.

            Nichkhun patiently waited for her to say something, but he knows her stubborn self will choose to remain quiet. He leans back against the car and pulls her closer to him, wanting her attention on him. Taeyeon surprisingly looks at him. She tries to back to away, but he was holding onto her left arm. Chansung and Yeon-seo walk over to the car and smile as they look at Nichkhun and Taeyeon.

            “Nichkhun, you are a lucky man to have a brave and beautiful wife like her.” Chansung compliment.

             Nichkhun smiles proudly as he faces Chansung. “You should find yourself a wife soon. Time does not wait.” He said.

            “I’m not as good as you. I’m better on the battlefield.” Said Chansung.

            “Our life is dedicated to protecting the people and love ones, however, without a successor, the name and power will go to waste.” Said Nichkhun.

            Yeon-seo looks at Taeyeon, who nervously looks away. “Speaking of kid. When are you having one?” She said, looking at Nichkhun.

            “I should ask Seung-gi that first. He’s the oldest in the family, shouldn’t he have one first?”

            Nichkhun’s words made Yeon-seo blush a little. “So, you are waiting for me and Seung-gi to have ours first then you will have one of your own?” She said.

            Nichkhun lightly nods with a smile, “After Doojoon as well.” He glances at Taeyeon.  

            “Alright, let’s head home before the sunset.” Said Yeon-seo.

            Chansung opens the door for Yeon-seo and Taeyeon. Nichkhun walks over to the driver side. The three of them get in the car. Chansung closed the door. Nichkhun presses his feet onto the gas pedal. The car moves and drives away from the Hwang camp.

* * * * *

[In the grand living room –the day before the burial]

            Marshal Lee entered the room and stand before Jaesuk’s picture hanging on the wall. He places a glass of whiskey on the table and looks at Jaesuk’s funeral picture.

            “We’ve known each other for so long… so long that I lost count of the days and years. When I first met you, I was only 18 years and you were 20. I left my family to build my own empire. You agree to follow me as my strategist and advisor. Together, we’ve successfully built the Lee’s empire that controls the center of Korea. You were the only one I can trust besides my own brother, a man that disappear on me. I don’t know whether if he is alive or dead. I have nothing left… no one to help me conquer this world.” He shed tears as he continues to look at Jaesuk. “My only dream was to unite the country that’s divided into many territories. None all able to bring peace to the country…. Now, how can I continue this fight? I’m getting tired and tired. I don’t know how much longer I can stand……tell me what to do… please tell me.”

 

To be continued……………….