Ch. 4: Jaesuk's Assassination

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

            After the shooting up the mountain, Jaesuk suggested they split up. Jaesuk takes the main road with Wooyoung dress up as Nichkhun wearing a hat to cover the face. Junho dresses up as the bodyguard. Nichkhun, Taeyeon, and Kangin take another road to a small town near the city to Sangju. Carefully riding the vehicle down market, the car stops just the opposite side of a restaurant. The three of them exit the car. A beautiful lady in a classic western dress walk out of the car and cross the street. Taeyeon recognizes her face and irritates looks away.

            “It’s good to see you again, Nichkhun.” Said Hani with a seductive smile.

            Nichkhun bluntly looks at her than worriedly at Taeyeon. Kangin looks around the place, making sure no enemies within the area.

            “Don’t worry. The enemy will no one dare to enter the city.” said Hani, confidently.   

            “Hani, I need a favor from you.” Said Nichkhun.

            “Anything for you, Nichkhun.” Said Hani with seductive smiles. She glances at Taeyeon and sees how annoyed she is with her flirty with Nichkhun.

            “I would not have trouble you if I could pass the city. The Lee relationship with the Kang is still at the edge. Therefore, I’m sure the Kang’s army know that I was Kimch’on and is waiting for me to pass by and capture me.” Said Nichkhun. He's not worried about the Kang and their me at all. What he worries the most is the safety of Taeyeon and getting her through the city without anyone knowing about it. “They have just successfully defended the city. I believe the city is still unstable, but for safety, I need you to take Taeyeon to Ch’onju first. Kangin and I will take another road and meet you there. I trust that you will bring her safely to Ch’onju, right?”

            Hani looks at Taeyeon, envy at how much Nichkhun cares about her. “I promise you, she will arrive at the city in one piece.” She said.

            “Then what about you? You’re going with us?” Taeyeon asked with concern.

Nichkhun turns and reaches for Taeyeon left hand. Her soft white skin makes him feel like he’s holding a precious pearl in his hand. A pearl that can break if once drop to the ground. He looks at her. “Make sure to stay close to her. Do as she says.” He said.

            Taeyeon pulls her hand back and faces Hani, “Let’s not delay any more times.” She said, bluntly. “We need to pass Sangju as quick as possible.”

            “Sure.” Said Hani. She glances one last time at Nichkhun, who only has eyes on Taeyeon right now, and then walks back to her vehicle.

            Taeyeon follows her—cross the busy market street into the vehicle. Hani signal the driver to drive. Nichkhun stands and watches for a short moment before he walks back to his vehicle. Once Kangin enter the car, the driver presses on the gas pedal and the vehicles begin to move.

 

* * * * *

 

           Seung-gi enters the headmaster’s room, close the behind him, and walks up to a mahogany executive desk at the other end of the room.     

            “Father.” Seung-gi greeted him with a bow before he takes a seat across the table.

            Marshal Lee glance at Seung-gi then continues reading a letter sent from his trusted people.

            “All these letters are from the sons of different families. They are gathering at the imperial government house demanding to see the crown prince, however, the crown prince is currently taking a short vacation in Jeju-island.” Said Marshal Lee. He put the letters down on the table and rest his back against the chair and looks at Seung-gi. “What are they up too?”

            “I’ve sent my people to find out. It seems like they are planning something. The young master of the Kang’s family is currently under the control of the Kang’s army. He has been relocating from place to place, meeting up with others warlord and demanding an alliance.” Said Seung-gi.

            “He has quite a courage, but still spoil and does not know his place yet.” Said Marshal Lee. “

            “He planned to capture Mt. Songni, but The Hwang’s family was ahead. Now, his next target is the city of Taegu.” Said Seung-gi, calmly.

            “With what army? One-hundred thousand of his soldier versus to five-hundred thousand of the Hwang’s soldier that’s located in Taegu.” Marshal Lee smirk lightly. “He will be crush in minutes.”

            “Second brother won the war in the north and father survived the assassination. We are lucky that we are at peace now.”

            “I knew about the assassination. I let them shoot me so that I can capture the enemy and sees who dare to command the assassination.” Said Marshal Lee with fearless eyes. “Whoever is in charge…is very careful.” He sighed. “Nichkhun is surrounded by the enemy in Kimch’on.”

            “He will be alright. I’ve received a memo from him. He’s on his way back.”

            “Good.” Marshal Lee sighed in relief.  

 

* * * * *

[Taeyeon and Hani… passing the forest]

            Passing through the road in the forest, the two ladies remain quiet. The two ladies did not once glance at each other nor speak. Hani facing forward and Taeyeon facing to the left side. Hani turns and takes a look at Taeyeon, admiring her beauty.

            “You are indeed very beautiful. No wonder he only has eyes for you.” Said Hani in a soft tone. “Not only are you young and beautiful even the sense on you is special. However, the aroma you have is familiar to those that are innocent and untouched… like a .”

            Taeyeon glance at her and fake a smile. “Since entering the Lee’s family. I have not left the house once. Unlike you, who’s full of experiences in life” She said.

            Hani smiles lightly, “Have you ever heard of this quote, ‘once a woman has a man they love, their aroma will change’?” She said, calmly. Taeyeon gulp as she looks at the road. She was speechless. Hani lightly chuckles as she looks at Taeyeon’s nervous face. “I wonder…since you’ve married into the Lee’s family, to the youngest son. Have you consummated with him? Or are you still a wife?”

            “Miss Ahn, please be careful with your words. There is something you should say and things you should not say.” Said Taeyeon, wisely.

            Hani can only smirk softly as look ahead.

 

[Nichkhun and Kangin…passing through the city using the outer routes]

            “Why do I get the feeling that you and my wife know each other very well?” Said Nichkhun, cockily.

            “I’ve met her a couple times. She’s my cousin close friend. They attend the same school. They would walk home together.” Said Kangin, calmly. “But Her and I never really talk. We only say ‘hi’ and ‘bye’.”

            “Oh really.” Nichkhun raised his eyebrows as he looks at Kangin from the backseat. “Such beauty yet a good-looking man like you did not once feel anything for her?”

            Kangin nervously gulps and carefully think before he speaks. “Love is not in my mind. I only wanted to focus on my study.”

            Nichkhun puck his lip out for a second and nods his head. “I see. A young mind with an ambitious goal.” He laughs lightly. Kangin sighed in relief. “That’s good”

            “Love will come when the time is right.” Said Kangin. “In a time like this, life and death matter the most. Love are those who are weak.”

            “Love are for those of is weak.” Nichkhun repeat and laugh. “You are right. But also, for those who are sincere as well.” He said. “The world is in chaos and I’m here enjoying life. Am I a joke to the world?”

            “No, general. You are just covering your true self from the world.” Said Kangin.

            Nichkhun lightly nods his head, “Yes. That was my intention.” He said. “Now, I’m being hunt by my enemy without knowing who they are.” He looks out the small window, “However, they will not hide long. I will find out who’s behind all of this. Right now, I only care about getting back home safe. Most important, getting there ahead of my second brother by a step is my top priority.” Said Nichkhun, calmly.

* * * * *

            Sitting in a cabin on the train, Jaesuk observes the beautiful green trees peacefully as he patiently waits for the train to arrive at the last destination, Ch’onju. They manage to escape a few spies on their way to the train station.

            “Teacher Yoo, would you like me to fetch you something to eat?” Wooyoung asked.

            “I’m not hungry. However, I would like a cup of tea.” Said Jaesuk.

            Wooyoung nod mannerly before he stands and leaves the room.

            “How long have you and Major Jang serve Nichkhun?” Jaesuk asked Junho.

            “I’ve served him for five years now.” Junho answered. “General is very calm and kind. He thinks of others before himself.”

            Jaesuk lightly nod. “He always thinks of others before himself. That’s what makes him different from others.” He said.

            “Every ordered he gave. Wooyoung and I will do our best to complete it, even if it cost us our life.”

            Jaesuk smiles softly, “You and Major Jang is very loyal to Nichkhun. He is lucky to have you and Major Jang to trust.”

            “No, teacher Yoo. We are very lucky to serve under general Lee Nichkhun.”

            Jaesuk takes out an envelope from his jacket pocket and hands it to Junho. “Please give this to Nichkhun for me.” He said.

            “Why don’t you give it to him yourself once we arrive?” Junho question, suspiciously.

            “Once we arrive, I have an urgent matter to attend and will not go straight to the Lee’s resident.” Said Jaesuk in deceit. “Make sure you get this letter to Nichkhun. Only to him, no one else.”

            “Yes, sir.”

            Suddenly, they heard screaming from outside. Junho stands and went to the door. He stops and looks at Jaesuk, “Teacher Yoo, for your safety, please stay while I go see what is going on outside.” Said Junho.

            Jaesuk nod and Junho leaves the room. Junho walks down the small hall into the passenger cabin. Junho sees people surround at the other end of the cabin. He went over there to sees what was going on. Lying on the ground was a man pressing his hands at his chest, trying to breathe.

            “Everyone, give him space.” Said Junho before he walks up to the man and gets on his knee. He begins doing CPR, beginning with chest compression and reading his pulse.”

            Wooyoung enters the passenger cabin with a cup of tea in his hand and sees Junho performing CPR. He walks over to give him a hand. A mysterious man smirks and walks out of the cabin, down the small hallway and open the door to Jaesuk’s cabin. Jaesuk turns his head and sees a familiar face. He remains calm as the mysterious man close the door behind him and take a seat across him. Jaesuk chuckles lightly as they meet eye to eye. 

            “You’ve successfully found your way here.” Said Jaeseuk. “You have no change at all, Yonghwa.”

            “Teacher, how have you been? It has been a long time since we’ve seen each other.” Yonghwa asked.  

            “I’m fine. Thank you for asking.” Jaesuk answered. “You’re not simply here to ask me that question, right?”

            Yonghwa calmly smirk. “Indeed, you are correct, teacher.” He said. “I’m here to complete my mission. The youngest son of the Lee’s family is on the way to Ch’onju. I am unable to track him or his wife down. They’ve gone separate ways. However, I’m certain that he takes the dangerous road while his wife takes the safe road. As for the teacher, you choose the road that will attract the most attention with two of his adjuncts.”

            “As the teacher, I do what’s best for my students. I would have never expected to see you here on this train.” Said Jaesuk.

“You always favor him more over me. No matter what he does, he will always be right. What I do is always wrong.”

“I treat those who take the right path in life better than those who choose the wrong path in life.” Said Jaesuk.

Yonghwa glance at the tree and open land then he looks at Jaesuk again. “I just want what is best for me. Money and power, who doesn’t it? In a time like this is a good opportunity to conquer. Don’t you agree, teacher?”

Jaesuk sees through his sharp evil eyes and cockily self. “What is it that you want?”

            Yonghwa smiles lightly and viciously. “I want to know if Marshal Lee is alive or dead. Also, I want to know what the youngest son of the Lee’s family will do to avenge your death.” He said as he pulls out his gun from the waist on the back and point at Jaesuk head.

            “I knew this day will come.” Said Jaesuk in a calm and worriless tone. “Since a child, you’ve always found a way to achieve your goal. You frame countless other people to get what you want. Today, you will do the same to tear the Lee’s family apart. This ambition of yours will one day get you killed.”

            “Teacher, I’m sorry. I must carry on the mission given to me. As ordered, I have to kill you. I assure that it will never come. Between Nichkhun and I, he will be the first to die. I will live to see the Lee’s family fall to the ground.” Said Yonghwa with an evil smirk. “I promise you.”

            With Yonghwa last word, Jaesuk closes his eyes. Yonghwa pulls the trigger and fires a bullet at Jaesuk.

            BANG!

            Blood splatter the seat as Jaesuk fall lifelessly back against the seat. The loud gunshot caught Junho and Wooyung attention. They stop and jolt to their feet. The man lying on the ground quickly pull out his gun.

            “Ah!” A woman shouts. Junho and Wooyoung turn around. Wooyoung quickly steps in front of Junho and pull out his gun as well. The two bullet fires. The enemy bullet hit Wooyoung in his left upper arm while Wooyoung’s bullet hit him at the chest. Junho takes out his gun and shot the man in the head.

            “Are you okay?” Junho asked, concerned.

            “I’m fine. Teacher Yoo.” Said Wooyoung, worriedly.

            The two of them hurries back to the cabin. Junho opens the door. They see Jaesuk dead in the cabin. Junho quickly searches the area for the shooter, but he was nowhere found. He went back to the cabin, standing outside. Wooyoung walks up to Junho with an envelope and a suitcase in his hand.

            “I can’t find the shooter.” Said Junho.

            “We must report to General about this.” Said Wooyoung.

            Junho nod.

 

To be continued………………………………….