Chapter 12: The Lies

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

           Walking down the busy road in an absent mind, a car driving down the road and sees Taeyeon crossing the main road. The driver presses his hand on the horn and hunks continuously. Taeyeon still absent from her and Nichkhun “argument” earlier, however, what distracts her the most was his last sentence before she left the room.

            “Can you open your heart for me… even just a little?” Nichkhun's word repeats over and over inside her head.

         “Why did he ask me that question? Our marriage is just a show… a cover to his affair with So-hee.” She continues to question herself inside her head, not paying attention to the road. A car driving up her way, sees her and honk loudly. She was still absent mind as she crosses the road. The car continues to honk.  Six feet away from hiding her, someone grabs her left arm and pull her back. Her head his head chest. His arms wrap around her. Taeyeon looks up and sees Kang-in worriedly looking down at her. Her heart beats fast knowing that she’s in his arm once again after so many years have passed. Taeyeon takes a couple of small steps back away from him. Kang-in could only sadly looks at her as he rests his hands on the side.

            “Thank you.” Said Taeyeon in a soft tone.

            “You should be careful more. Watch where you are going? That car could have hit you if I didn’t come and pull you back on time.” Said Kang-in in a semi-upset yet worries tone.

            “I will be careful next time.”

            “What’s distracting you?” He asked.

            “Nothing.” Taeyeon lied.

            “There’s something distracting you. It’s almost night and you are wondering out here alone. I can tell when you are lying to me. Tell me, I can help you.”

            “It’s nothing important. I just wanted some fresh air.”

            “By yourself? Nichkhun did not send a guard to go with you?”

            “He does not know.”

            “Taeyeon, we’ve known each other for 3 years. I can tell when something is bothering you.” Said Kang-in, looking and reading her facial expression. “Does it have to do with The Lee’s family?”

            Taeyeon immediately shook her head. “No.” She said. Inhale and exhale softly before she speaks again, “I'm just worried about my father. He will be here by tomorrow and the family is still going through grieves.”

            “And trying to silent the citizens about what happens on the burial day?” Kang-in question.

            Taeyeon’s eyes shock wide. “The rebellion… was it you?” She asked.

            Kang-in lightly nods.

            “Why? It’s was an important day to Nichkhun. Why must you take it that far?” She asked in an upset tone.

            “The Legion Alliance must take every chance we have to disrupt the Lee’s family.”

            “Even on Teacher Yoo’s burial day?”

            “Yes.

            “Kang-in… you were never like this. Why?” Taeyeon question in shock yet confused.

            “I have too. Taeyeon, you must understand. The quicker the Lee’s family falls apart and vanish in this world. The fast the world will be in peace. You and I… we can be together again.” Kang-in said as he takes a step forward and reaches for her hand.

            Taeyeon refused and steps back.

            “Taeyeon?”    

            Taeyeon tries to hold her tears back as she looks into his eyes. The pair of eyes she once fell in love with but hurt her. “I’ve waited for you… I’ve waited long for you to come.”

            “I’m sorry, Taeyeon. I wanted to come that very day. I wanted to take you with me, but I can be selfish. I can’t put you in danger. But it’s still not too late. I will make it back to you. I will not leave you again.” He said as he reaches and holds onto her hands.

            Taeyeon pulls her hands away. “It’s too late, Kang-in…”

            “It’s never too late. No matter how long I have to wait. No matter what I must do to have you back. I will do it. Even if I have to risk this life.”

            She was touch by his words but could still not except him…. Their love was once beautiful as if it was a fairy story yet shattered the day he left her waiting under the tree at the field of purple flowers. Taeyeon turns and walks away, leaving him standing there… sad.

            At the end of the road just about 600 feet away, Hani sat in the car and watches Taeyeon and Kang-in talks. Though she could not hear what they were talking about, from their actions, she knew it was a heart to heart talk. She watches Taeyeon takes the road back to the Lee’s resident then switch her attention to Kang-in, who was still standing beside the streetlight, staring down at the ground.

            “He must be the one that she has been waiting and longing for. The man that’s inside her heart.” Said Hani as she continues to sit in her vehicles and watches him for a moment before she decides to leave.

* * * * *

[The next day- in the garden… It was afternoon]

 

            Doojoon sat on the lowest three tiers rocks and waits patiently as he observes the beautiful flower on a mild-cloudy with a slight sunny day. Nichkhun into the garden makes a right turn to the patio. He stops and sees Doojoon sitting on the rock looking at the flowers in the garden. With his left hand inside his pant pockets, Nichkhun walks over to him and sit on the second tier of the rock.

            “The second sister said you wanted to talk to me.” Said Nichkhun, looking at him.

            Doojoon turns his head and looks at Nichkhun, who’s now facing forward. “Yes. I have something to ask you?” He said.

            “STecond brother, do you remember when we were small, I always said these rocks are really big?”

            “Yes, I remember.” Said Doojoon. “Do you also think I’m small?”

            Nichkhun looks at him and smiles.

            “About yesterday, I was hotheaded. When Seung-gi refused to let me send the troops to Ch’unch’on to train, I was a little upset. But that’s not important. What’s important is, father-in-law had just died and the rebellion dares to disrupt his peace. Yet he let it go. I can’t stand it. I don’t want to.” Said Doojoon. “I’m hurt. So-hee is hurt. I just want what’s right for her. I know you and Seung-gi were in the garden talking. You probably wanted to help him, right?”

            Nichkhun looks down with a smile. He inhales and exhales before looking up again. “Second brother… I do want to help him.” He said.

            Doojoon let out a soft laugh. “Fighting for small things are easy. Whoever wins in the fight is theirs. But fighting for the family inheritance is a different story. A fist fight cannot solve anything.” He said. Nichkhun is calm as he looks and tries to read his facial expression. “The three of us fight for the family inheritance verbally and strategically, not harm to each other.”

            “Yes, real brother fights for family heirloom fair and square. No harm to each other.” Said Nichkhun with a calm smile.

            Doojoon nod. He gets down from the rock, walks over to Nichkhun, and pat him on the left shoulder. “Deal.” He said before he walks away.

            Nichkhun watches him leave for a moment then looks up and down. A soldier walks up to him and salutes before he talks. “General, there’s a guest that want to see you.”

            Nichkhun tilt his head and glance at him, “Who is it?”

            “He won’t say who he is. Only ask to see you.”

            Nichkhun inhales and exhales before he jumps off the rock. The soldier walks him to the front entrance of the Lee’s resident. There, he sees a black unknown car parked on the driveway with a man in a black suit waiting inside. Nichkhun walks up closer to take a peak. The man exits the car from the other side. He turns and faces Nichkhun.

            Nichkhun calm face turns fierce as he looks at the man. “What are you doing here?”

            “It has been a long time since we’ve seen each other Nichkhun.” He said. “I’m here to pay my respect to Teacher Yoo.”

            Nichkhun slowly walks up to him. “You have no right to see him.” Said Nichkhun in a sharp angry tone.

            “My right to become the next leader of the Yoo’s family. As the first disciple of Teacher Yoo, I am to take back what belongs to me.”

            “What position? You have no right to the Yoo’s power in the army.” Said Nichkhun with both his hand inside his pocket, stopping himself from making a stupid mistake. “It’s best you leave this place before I tear you apart. Don’t pretend to be good a student in front of me. I don’t take this bull crap of yours.”

            Yonghwa hissed. His pointed his right index fingers at Nichkhun chest repeat, “A little boy dare to talk like that to me.” He said.

            Nichkhun grabs his wrist and holds it still tightly. Yonghwa tries to pull his hand back, but his grip was too tight and strong for him.

            “When Teacher Yoo was alive, he couldn’t help me out of the darkness.” Said Yonghwa in a devious tone. “If he can’t help me walk back to the righteous path then what makes you think you can stand and tell me what to do.” Yonghwa tone was calm yet scary like a murderer with the eyes of a killer. He knew Nichkhun’s weakness, yet he wants to enjoy his little game as much as he can. “Aren’t you living in happiness. A happy family. A beautiful wife to love.”

            Yonghwa’s last sentence strike him to the heart. He knew very well how much Taeyeon mean to him and using her as bait will surely defeat him.

            “If you dare to touch her…  even a strand of her hair, I will take your life immediately. I’ll make sure I feed you to the dogs.” Said Nichkhun with a calm yet deadly tone. Nichkhun loosens his grip.

            Yonghwa’s hissed. “So protective.” He was able to pull his hand back and walks back into his car. He looks at Nichkhun again, “Be careful. I’ll be watching you.” He said.

            Nichkhun gritted his teeth with both hands inside his pant pocket.

            Yonghwa looks forward, “Go.” He ordered the driver.

            The driver reverses than drive away from the Lee’s resident.

            Nichkhun’s sighed, “Have my father-in-law arrived yet? Who is with my wife?” He asked.

            “Mr. Kim has arrived already. They should be here any minute.” Said the soldier. “There are five special unit soldiers with Third Lady and her maid.”

            Nichkhun felt ease and nod. “You can leave. I’ll wait here.”

            The soldier bow, “Yes, general.” He said before he leaves.

            Nichkhun stands in front of the Lee’s resident and waits patiently for Taeyeon and Mr. Kim arrival. He walks back and forth by the front door than lean against the stone column. Ten minutes later, a car drives up the driveway and stop in front of the front entrance. Nichkhun sighed in relieved to see Taeyeon safe. Sunny exit the car first. She greeted Nichkhun before walking straight to the trunk and carry Mr. Kim luggage out. Sunny carry the luggage inside. Nichkhun opens the door for Taeyeon while the butler opens the door for Mr. Kim. Taeyeon exits the car and meets Nichkhun’s eyes. She sees something strange. His eyes were filled with worries as he looks at her. Mr. Kim exits the car.

            Nichkhun bows his head to greet Mr. Kim. “Father-in-law.”

            “It’s nice to see you again, Nichkhun.” Said Mr. Kim with smiles.

            “Father, you must be tired. Was the road long? Was there any problem?”

            Mr. Kim walks over to Nichkhun and Taeyeon. He shook his head lightly. “No, not at all. The transport was pleasant. There’s nothing wrong with your arrangement. I am very please Nichkhun. Please send a message to your soldiers that I’ve safely arrived.” He praised.

            Taeyeon once again shockingly looks at Nichkhun.

            “I’m glad that it was a pleasant trip. Father let’s go in. Why I take you to wash up first then have dinner with the rest of the family.” Said Nichkhun with charming smiles.

            Mr. Kim nods. “That sound like a good plan.” He said.

            Nichkhun reaches and holds Taeyeon’s left hand before he leads the ways into the mansion. His tight grip, sharp yet fierce eyes caught her full attention. She couldn’t stop wondering what’s disturbing him, what’s making him worry. She could not lift her gaze off him as they make their ways to the dining room where everyone awaits. The first Mr. Kim to his room in the east side of the Lee’s mansion to Nichkhun’s own manor. Mr. Kim room was just down the hall from their grand master bedroom. They enter their room. The doors close.

            Walking to the couch by the bar, Nichkhun makes sure Taeyeon sit before he walks over to the bar and fetches himself a glass of whiskey.

            “Why didn’t you tell me you arrange the trip for my father?” Taeyeon asked as she faces his back.

            “It’s nothing big to share. I just wanted to make sure father arrived safe and sound.” Nichkhun answered without turning around. “Moreover, I don’t want my wife to worry too much.”

            “You didn’t have to.” Taeyeon stand, facing the door.

Nichkhun turns around. He sighed, “Why do you always refuse my kind gesture?” He asked.

            She turns to face him, “Why are you nice to me?”

            “Because you’re my wife.” He answered. Nichkhun covers his mouth and coughs softly a couple time.

            She walks up to the glass pitcher of water and pours it into the cup. Taeyeon places the pitcher down, hold the cup up and walks to him. She replaces the glass of whiskey in his hand with a cup of water.

            “You still haven’t recovered. You shouldn’t be drinking.” Said Taeyeon, worriedly.

            “I’ll be fine.” He tries to reach for the glass of whiskey. Taeyeon moves it away from him, hiding it behind her back.

            “Water.” She commands.

Nichkhun looks into her dictated eyes and surrender. He drinks the cup of water. Taeyeon put the glass of whiskey on the counter and away from him. Mr. Kim knocks on the door. Both turn and sees Mr. Kim enter the room with smiles.

            “Father.” Nichkhun greeted him.

            “Nichkhun, can I talk to Taeyeon for a bit? It has been so long, I just want a moment with her, if you don’t mind.” Said Mr. Kim.

            Nichkhun mannerly nod his head. He glances at Taeyeon before he leaves the room. Taeyeon walks up to Mr. Kim, wraps her hands around his arm. She walks him to the couch.

            Mr. Kim sit, “Taeyeon, how’s everything here? Have you been living well? Are you use to the thing around here?” He asked.

            “Everything is well. You don’t have to worry father.” She answered.

            “That’s good.” Mr. Kim smiles. “Nichkhun listen to you really well. He may be stubborn but, on the inside, he cares about you and listen to every one of your words.”

            Taeyeon was slightly surprised by his words, “Father, how long have to been standing out there?”

            “Not too long. Just enough to see how much Nichkhun cares and listen to you.”

            “He does not listen to me all the time. Only when he is in a good mood.” She mumbles.

            “What did you say?” Mr. Kim asked.

            “Nothing.” Taeyeon quickly respond.

            “So, when will you and Nichkhun have a kid. I want a grandchild to play with me.” Mr. Kim asked.

            Taeyeon was taken back by his words and blushed. “Father.”

            “You two have been married for a year, yet, I still have not heard any good news. If not bad news about the Lee’s family, then it’s rumors about Nichkhun.” Mr. Kim put the cup of tea down on the coffee table in front of him. He looks at Taeyeon with worries. “Is there something you’re hiding from me?” He asked.

            Taeyeon hesitates to answer him. She looks away from his eyes and at the coffee table for a moment, thinking of what to say and what not to say.

            “Do you love him?” Mr. Kim asked again.

            Taeyeon faces her father again, “Love?... Can there be love between him and me?” She said in a sad tone.

            “You’re still waiting for your first love?” Mr. Kim asked.

            Taeyeon hesitates to answer. Nichkhun came back not too long ago, just in time to hear the last few questions from Mr. Kim as he stands quietly behind the doors.

            “I once fall in love with him… waiting for him to return… waiting for him to take me away from here.”

            “If a marriage you do not want then why did you agree in the first place?” Mr. Kim asked.

            “Do I have a choice?” Taeyeon said, in a despairing tone.

            Nichkhun grips his fists tightly as she stares at the floor. Hurt and sad by her words, He walks away.            

* * * * *

            Everyone is at the long rectangle table in the dining room. Maids walking out of the kitchen placing the entrees on the table then walk back to the kitchen.

            “In-law, I’m sorry I couldn’t accompany you when you arrive.” Said Marshal Lee. “It is a pleasure to see you again.”

            “No worries. Nichkhun and Taeyeon kept me company.”

            Marshal Lee nod with satisfaction. “That’s good. How was the trip? I hold there were no disturbing moments on the way here.” He asked.

            “Everything was well. Nichkhun arrangement was excellent.” Said Mr. Kim.

            “Thank you, father, for the compliment.” Said Nichkhun.

             Marshal Lee holds up a glass of wine, “Lets’ toast. It has been a long time since this house has been full and happy.”

            Everyone holds up their glass of wine and toast before they drink. They all pick up their chopstick and begins eating. Nichkhun serves Mr. Kim a bowl of spicy seafood soup then grabs a few types of meat and vegetables and put it in Taeyeon bowls. Mr. Kim observes as he sat at the end of the rectangle table. He smiles with satisfaction entrust his daughter to Nichkhun. So-hee sneak a glance a Nichkhun and sees how well he take cares of Taeyeon makes her jealous.


[After dinner – in the room]

 

            Mr. Kim and Marshal Lee sat side by side with a small table in between. A tradition pot of tea with two filled teacups sitting on the flat surface of the table.

            “In-law, on your way here, did anyone follow you?” Marshal Lee asked.

            Mr. Kim shook his head, “No. Nichkhun had someone disguise as me with a few soldiers taking a train to another city.” He said.

            “That’s good. I’m sorry to cause you trouble as well. There have been a few bad news about my family. A lot of things have happened. To prevent another news to the family, I had to make sure you are safe.” Said Marshal Lee. “I actually did not know you were coming until today.”

            “I’m sorry for not informing you. Nichkhun told me to keep the visited a secret to prevent.” Said Mr. Kim.

            “It’s good that he was cautious.” Said Marshal Lee.

            “Nichkhun is great son-in-law. He saves me many times, from my position to my visit here. I can’t keep count of how many things he has done for the Kim family.” Said Mr. Kim with a smile. “I am very grateful. You have a great son.”

            Marshal Lee lightly smiles. “I don’t doubt this sound of mine.” He said.

            Mr. Kim takes a sip from the cup of tea. “On my way, I heard that a group of rebels disturb Teacher Yoo burial.”

            “The news is true. It seems like the heart of the citizen is shaking. The group of rebel shout for freedom and peace. I’ve given them both yet they are still unsatisfied. Citizen is confused now. They don’t know what’s right or wrong anymore.… It seems like they are slowly supporting the government.” He said with a calm yet a cold glance at Mr. Kim.  

            The smiles on Mr. Kim face disappearing with his eyebrows narrow together. He gulps.

            “The people want the country back in the monarch, supporting the Yi’s Imperial rules.” Marshal Lee continues. “If the Yi want to go back to the monarchy system, it wouldn’t be hard. They only need support from the people.”

            Mr. Kim nervously laughs, “You are only half right.” He said, in a calm tone. “But you have the other half of the country supporting other lords. It would be hard to the Yi’s to go back to where it once was.”

            “You are wrong. It doesn’t take much to change the people’s heart.” Said Marshal Lee.

            Mr. Kim places the cup of tea down. “His majesty is concern about the future of the country.” He said, truthfully. “Half of him want to overthrow dictators power. Half of him just want the governments to be in power, but not under monarchy system.”

            Marshal Lee lightly nodded. “Let’s continue to enjoy the wonderful tea.” He said.

            Mr. Kim picks up his cup of tea and drink with Marshal Lee. As a member of the Yi’s imperial, a part of him is nervous and worry, but seeing Marshal Lee calm face shake away the fear.

 

To be continued………………