Chapter 16: The Gentleness

If Time Could Stop The Moment We Met

[In the Lee’s mansion library]

            Mr. Lee sits on the single couch as he holds onto the semi-hot cup of tea with his right hand. Nichkhun sits beside him on the double couch carefully pouring tea to his teacup.  

            “I have a mission for you.” Said Mr. Lee. He put the cup down on the coffee tea. “I need you to go to Kimch’on. One of the banks is not cooperating. I want to know what is going on.”

            “Sung Gyo Po is a snake for holding back a portion of our wealth.” Said Nichkhun holding a cup of tea close to his lip.

            Marshall Lee was slightly surprised by Nichkhun’s words. “You knew?”

            “I heard he way secretly working with someone. So, I had someone keep an eye on him.”

            Marshal Lee lightly nod his head. “Good.”

            “I will go and talk to him.

            Marshall Lee nods lightly, “The trip to Kimch’on, you represent the Lee Family. Be cautious when you speak and act.”

            “Yes, father.” Said Nichkhun in a calm tone. “If he does no corporate?”

            “Do what is necessary.” Said Marshal Lee.

            “Yes, father.” Said Nichkhun before he takes another sip from the teacup.

            Nichkhun leaves the library and head back to his manor. Entering the main resident, Doojoon and Soo Geu see Nichkhun leaving the library. The doors are still open. Marshall Lee is still in the room, enjoying his tea. Doojoon sees another cup on the table.

            “I noticed that Nichkhun and grandmaster (Marshall Lee) have been getting along well lately.” Said Soo Geun. “I wonder what they were talking about.” He glances at Doojoon.

            Doojoon was quiet and continues to look at Marshall Lee, who now reading a book. He walks to the right, heading to his room. Soo Geu follows him disappointedly.    

            Nichkhun enters the bedroom. He slowly walks up to the bed. Taeyeon was sleeping peacefully in a semi-sitting position. Her head was slightly tilted to the left. He carefully takes a sit at the end of the bed, looks at her for a moment with a soft smile. His eyes glide down to her rose-pink lips. The temptation to kiss her lips but does not want to wake her up. He cautiously lifts her right hand up from the book, not to wake her up. The movement wakes her. Taeyeon’s eyes open and looks at him. He grabs the book that was sitting on her lap and looks at it.

            “What are you reading? It is good?” Nichkhun asked.

            Taeyeon did not answer. She helps herself up and rests her back against the pillows. “It’s a romance. I don’t think you would like it.” She said.

            Nichkhun grabs her right hand, move his body closer to her and rest beside her with her right arm around his neck. “What makes you think I don’t like it?” Said Nichkhun, looking at her. “I am a romantic person myself.”

            Taeyeon avoids his eyes.

            He looks at her, “Let’s take a trip to Kim’chon.” He said.

            “Kim'chon? Isn’t the Kang army there?”

            “Not anymore.” Said Nichkhun looking up at the ceiling. “The Kang was a force out by the Hwang. The city is neutral now.”

            “Why do you want me to go with you this time?”

            “Because I need company.” Nichkhun turns his head and looks at her, hiding part of the truth that Yonghwa is also here in the city and threaten to her hurt in front of him the other day.

            “Why don’t you invite Hani to go with you.” Said Taeyeon, looking away and hiding her jealous.

            Nichkhun sits up and moves his body closer to her. “Are you jealous?”

            “No.”

            “Then turn your head and look at me.” Said Nichkhun with a slight smirk.

            Taeyeon falls for his word and turns her head. She realizes how close they are.

            “Answer me then.”

            Taeyeon was wordless as she looks into his eyes. Her heart was beating furiously fast.  Nichkhun smiles and steals a kiss from her. Taeyeon pushes him away. Nichkhun falls back on the bed with a big smile.

            “Your lips are sweet and soft.”

            Taeyeon blush. “When are we leaving?” Taeyeon asked.          

            “Tomorrow morning.” Said Nichkhun.

            “What about my father?”

            “He’s in good hand. Father will keep him company.”

            “Is this trip important?”

            Nichkhun nod lightly as he slides his left hand behind his head. “Are you afraid?” He asked, looking at her.

            “No, as long as you’re beside me I’m not afraid of anything,” Taeyeon whispered inside her head.

            Seeing her space out, he sits up and get closer again. He smiles as he looks at her lips. She was still deep in thought, he takes another daring move and kisses her lips softly. It shocks her. Taeyeon pushes him away again, got out of bed, and covers her lips. Nichkhun lay back on the bed with big smiles across his face.

* * * * *

            Doojoon sits and stares blankly at the floors.

            Soo Geu put the cup down on the coffee table, “You should spend more time with your father more. Sitting here will not help at all.” He said. “If you keep sitting here, Nichkhun and Seung-gi will have the upper advantage and takes everything. Seung-gi and Nichkhun are probably planning something right now. They are probably working together to ambush you.”

            “We promise not to hurt each other.” Said Doojoon, looking at him.

            “Do you believe their words?”

            “They are my brothers. We all agree not to hurt each other.”

            “Doojoon, we are living a war. Enemies are everywhere. We don’t know who they are and what they are planning. Right now, planning and mobilize is the best tactic.”

            Doojoon slams his right hand on the couch arm stand. “That’s enough.” He said.

Soo Geu shut his mouth and looks away.

            So-hee walks into the room and sees Doojoon, not in a good mood. She lightly bows her head to greet Soo Geu then walks over to Doojoon.

            “What is the matter?” So-hee asked, standing in front of him.

            Doojoon takes a deep breath before he looks at her. “Nothing important.”

            “You don’t seem like you are in your best mood. Something must be bothering you.” Said Sohee, worriedly.

            Doojoon glance at Soo Geu and give him a signal to leave with his eye’s movement.

            “Why don’t you two talk? I’ll take my leave.” Said Soo Geu.

            Sohee bows her head to Soo Geu as he leaves the room. After the door close, Sohee looks at Doojoon again.

            “Is everything okay?” Sohee asks as she walks to him.

            “We were just talking about some nonsense things.” Said Doojoon avoiding Sohee eyes.

            From his facial expression, Sohee knows that he’s hiding something from her. She keeps looking at him till he tells her the truth.  The pressure of her stares is slowly conquering him but he did not give in to her demand.

            Sohee is getting impatient as she looks into his eyes. “Is it about Nichkhun and his trip Kimch’on?” She asked. “The city may be neutral for now but the Kang’s army can come back and cause corruption again. This trip is risky. You should convince not to go. I fear…” She suddenly pauses seeing Doojoon unusual facial expression.

            Somehow, he feels knives thriving through his chest as he looks into her desperate and frightens eyes that are not for him…but for Nichkhun instead. He knows she’s worry about Nichkhun. He knows how important Nichkhun is to her.

            “Are you planning to….?”

            “Is he that important to you?” Said Doojoon. He could not hold his emotion anymore. “Every time you speak, I could only hear his name. Not once you ask me or speak about safety?” He said jealously.

            Sohee lips parted and about to speak but stop by him again.

            “Am I not important to you? Do you I even have a spot in your heart?” He speaks again in jealousy. “I’m tired of living under his shadow in your heart. The one that is your husband is me. That one that saves you and carries you to the hospital is me, not him!” He lost his temperature. Doojoon closes his eyes, inhales and exhales a couple of time to comes himself down. “Forget it.” Doojoon walks pass her but stop by her grip. He gulps nervously as he stands beside her but did not face her.

            “I remember seeing someone carrying me to the calling. He calls my name as he carries me and runs desperately but I was unconscious. The face was blurry. I only know that… only remember Nichkhun being with me before the incident. I didn’t know you were there…. I didn’ see you.” Said Sohee as she turns her head to the left and looks at his side.

            “I know. You were hurt and unconscious, but you murmured his name. I was not in close distant. You were too happy to notice my presence. I don’t blame you.”

            “That’s not true.”

            “Our marriage… you only agree because your father asks you, not because you love….”

            Sohee could not stand listening to another heartbroken word of his. She tips toe and presses her lips on his. Doojoon was shocked by his action. He was stiff and still like a statue. She did not part away from him. Her lips were still on his with her arms wrap around his neck. Doojoon slowly gives in and respond to his kiss as his hand slide across her thin waist. He pulls her closer, closing the remaining gaps between them as he deepens the kiss.

* * * * *

 

            That very evening, Taeyeon went to look for Kangin at the side of the Lee’s mansion opposite from Nichkhun’s manor. Kangin exits the house and sees Taeyeon waiting just twenty feet away. He walks up to her.

            “Taeyeon.”

            “I want to ask you a question.” She said. “You have to answer me honestly.”

            Kangin nod, agreeing to her demand.

            “You join the Lee’s army because of me? Nothing more, right?” She asked.

            Kangin hesitates for a very short moment before he gives her an answer. “Yes.”

            “Good. We have a chance.” Said Taeyeon. “Nichkhun has asked me to go to Kimch’on with him. This will be our only chance to get away from everything and just be ourselves. Are you willing to go with me?” Taeyeon asked. She patiently looks into his eyes as she waits.

            Kangin takes a moment to think. “Kimch’on? Nichkhun did not mention about going to Kimch’on to me? Why is he going there? What is he planning to do there?” Kangin questions himself, searching for an answer but none.

            “Kangin?” She called him. Kangin looks at her. “If you want to be with me then go to Kimch’on. There is a wheat field about 3 miles away from the city. Use the kite as a signal and let it fly as high as it can. When I see the kite, I will meet you there.” Said Taeyeon.  

            “Taeyeon, are you sure he will let you leave his sight,” Kangin asked.

            “I not sure, but I am willing to take a risk if you are.” Said Taeyeon. “I know Hani will be there. She will keep him occupied. It will be my chance to escape.” She looks into his eyes. There was something else. He was thinking about something, but it did not bother her. She could think of escaping these miserable and be free again. But when she thinks about being free from Nichkhun, suddenly, a sadness rush through her.

            “Then I will meet you there.” Said Kangin.

            Taeyeon nod before she walks away. Kangin watches her walks further away before he looks at the sky.

            “The kite?” Kangin whispered inside his head. “The Kang army has just left the army. It is the only chance to capture Nichkhun and use him to weaken the Lee’s family. Using the kite will draw him into the trap. I have to report this to the leader.”

* * * * *

            The night is here as the moon rises to its peak.  Nichkhun is heading home from the camp. Kangin in is the same vehicle as him, sitting in the front passenger side looking straight ahead. Nichkhun was looking out the window, remembering the talk between Taeyeon and her father. It saddens him but did not stop him from loving her.

            The vehicle stops at Nichkhun’s manor. Kangin gets out of the vehicle first and opens the door for Nichkhun t step out. Both stroll to the doors and enter the manor. Taeyeon has been awake for over two hours and waiting for Nichkhun in his library. She quickly went through a few books on the shelves during the times she waits. It was all about economic and war strategies; nothing interests her except one. A different language book in Dutch and Chinese. She continues to wait until she heard footstep close by. She put the book down and walks out of the room. Just halfway through the hall, she sees Nichkhun with Kangin. Nichkhun notices her facial expression changes as her footstep slowing down.

            “Taeyeon, I have news to tell you.” Said Nichkhun.

            “What is it?” She said in a semi calm tone.

            “Kangin is going to get promoted soon.”

            “Oh really?” Taeyeon said, hiding her suspicious as she glances at Kangin.

            “Father and I both acknowledge Kangin talent and his dedication to the Lee’s army. Therefore, he will be rewarded.” Said Nichkhun in a happy tone.

            Taeyeon smiles uncomfortably as she looks at Kangin, who is looking at her was emotions and faithful eyes. “Congratulation Mr. Kim. You have both cautious and tactical strategies that will benefit the Lee’s family. However, what’s most important is brave and sincere which is hard to master. Even if you master all, I feel you go anywhere with your talent.” She said.

            Kangin knew what she meant and was slightly hurt by her words. He could only force a smile through the sadness. Nichkhun glance at Kangin then at Taeyeon. Through her eyes, he can see her emotion… her sadness and worries for Kangin. Her words were not simply to get rid of him, but to give him a hint of the danger he will face in the future if he reaches too high.

            Nichkhun gulp and looks at Kangin again, “Kangin, the road is long. We can never know the future. All you need to understand is what you want to reach need hard dedicate works but remember to keep cautious. Enemies are everywhere. The higher you go the harder you fall.” He said.

            Kangin looks at Nichkhun, understanding what he’s trying to tell him. He turns his body to him and bow. “Thank you, young third master.” He said.

            “Nichkhun, I am tired. I would go rest first.” Said Taeyeon without looking at neither of them.

            “I will go with you.” Said Nichkhun. He looks at Kangin, “Mr. Kim, I will not you out. Please excuse me.” He said.

            Kangin bow again. Nichkhun walks up to Taeyeon without taking his eyes off her. He glides his right arm around her waist and walks together with her back to their room. Abut ten feet away, Kangin finally turns his head to the right and watches them leave uncomfortably and jealously. The thought of taking Taeyeon away from Nichkhun soon erase all the jealousy. The thought of capturing and accomplishing the mission erase all the anxiousness running inside of him.

            “Kangin, you must be patient.” He whispered inside his head.

            In front of their master suite, Nichkhun opens the door for her. They entered the room but he stops at the doorway.

            “There are a few things I have to take care of. You rest first.” Said Nichkhun.

            Taeyeon turns around and looks at him. “It’s getting late. Try to finish what you need to do early and rest. Staying up too late is not good for you.” She said in a gentle tone.

            Nichkhun was pleased and smiles softly. He nods. “I will.” He said before he turns around and walks away but suddenly stop and turn back around. He walks up to her and place his left hand behind her head and kiss her forehead gently. His action shocks her. She feels his soft lips on her forehead a she stands still but holds herself together and slightly push him away.

            “What are you doing?” Said Taeyeon in slight shock.

            Nichkhun chuckles lightly. “I just want to see what’s in your mind. It’s disturbing you and giving you a headache. I thought I erase all the thought by giving you a goodnight kiss.”

            Taeyeon shyly looks down, hiding her blush face from him. Nichkhun smirk in satisfaction with his action. It takes her a moment to looks at him again.

            “I know what you are thinking and want to say. Don’t. Don’t even think about saying any words that will destroy this moment right now. I want to savor it.” He said as he lowers his head closer to her. Taeyeon shyly avoids his eyes. He smiles again. “Why don’t you rest. It’s getting late. As for father-in-law, He is in good hands. I’ve asked the father to take good care of him when we are gone. He is happy to obligate.” He said.

            Taeyeon nod lightly. Nichkhun turns around and walks away from the suite. Taeyeon looks up and watches him leave. Her heart was beating nervously fast. She could still feel his soft lips on her forehead even though he is not here. “Why are you being good to me right now?” Taeyeon said inside her head.

 

To be continued………………………………………………….