Chapter 2

Snatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook POV

He watched her out of the corner of his eye, holding the pretense of reading a book at his table in the coffeeshop. Chaeyoung was crying, and he couldn't help but think that such a beautiful face didn't deserve to hold any sadness. When she left the coffeeshop, it was as if Jungkook didn't have control over his body. He had to follow.

It wasn't his business to know why she was sad. He barely knew her. No, he didn't know her at all. Besides her name, what else did he know about her? I know that she's sad, and she's probably not thinking straight. That was Jungkook's justification for his stalking. No, I'm just following her to make sure she gets home safe, that's all, he thought again. 

At first, he kept his distance, not wanting to be seen. But, it seemed as if she was so preoccupied that she didn't even notice him at all. If other pedestrians didn't move out of the way for her, he was sure she would have caused a collision. At one point, while she waited at a stop light, he got close enough to smell her. And he wasn't sure why, but he was reminded of spring. Spring in winter, huh, he thought. I'm going crazy, aren't I. I'm even stalking a girl now. How pathetic can I get? He shook his head, finally talking himself out of following Chaeyoung. And he intended to do so, except she walked straight into the dangerous part of town. The shift from the "safe" to the "dangerous" zone was very abrupt. The buildings were all run down, the lampposts didn't work, and the sidewalks were littered with shattered bottles and cigarettes. There were bums and druggies slouched in alleyways and sleeping on dumpsters, many of whom had mental diseases. This was where the degenerates went, the outcasts from society. No one in their right mind would go there, not even the police.

Jungkook now knew for sure his coworker wasn't in her right mind.

He wanted so badly to put a hand on her shoulder, to tell her to stop walking. He himself was scared of his surroundings, but for some reason, he was more scared for her. But he didn't have the courage. Or the confidence. He was being selfish. He wanted to spare his own pride, his own feelings, than to keep Chaeyoung out of danger. If he told her to turn back now, it would reveal that he had been following her, which would ruin his chances with her. Chances? he thought. What chances? I never had any. Jungkook cursed himself for being so weak that he couldn't even think about someone other than himself. He stayed in the shadows, keeping his distance from her. For now, he thought. She might not even need my help.

Finally, she seemed to snap out of whatever trance she was in.and finally looked up for the first time. She scanned her surroundings quickly, and as Chaeyoung turned in his direction, he could easily see the panic in her eyes. Now's the time to step in, he thought. Go help her. But there was a loud voice in his mind that said Chaeyoung would mistake him for a resident of this area and run. Running is probably safer for her at this time, in this place. Just do it. He took a deep breath, his resolve finally worked up, but at that time, a drunkard made his way out of the shadows to Chaeyoung.

His mind screamed "Go in! Do something!" so many times, but his body couldn't comply. It was was if the neurons in his brain were sending signals to his muscles, but the message was being scrambled up so his body couldn't comprehend the message. His feet were glued to the floor, even as another man stepped out to talk to Chaeyoung. This one had a predatory look in his eyes and was clearly bad news.

By this time, they were very far away from Jungkook, as they had been walking, and he hadn't. His body finally unfroze and he ran towards the three. He watched as they dragged her into an alleyway, but this time, his mind overcame his body. He didn't freeze up, he didn't back down. When he arrived to the three, none of them noticed him. He saw a flash of a knife held by the sober man, and saw him whisper something in Chaeyoung's ear.

"I'd back off if I were you," he said in a low voice, but his words somehow seemed to amplify as if he were shouting.

The two men, quickly turned around to face him, shocked at first. But the sober man laughed and said, "It's two with a weapon, versus one without a weapon. Well, I guess one and a half if you coun't this one." He gestured toward Chaeyoung. "She's mighty fine, isn't she," he added when he saw the enraged look in Jungkook's eyes. "I'll have so much fun sticking my di-"

"I'd back off if I were you," he repeated, louder this time, cracking his knuckles in what he hoped was a display of confidence. In a quiter tone, he added, "I think it's pathetic you prey on the innocent. Those weaker than you. Those who have no right to be dragged down to your level. You're truly pathetic."

Jungkook expected them to attack. That was the purpose of his words: to direct their attention away from Chaeyoung. And it worked. 

The drunk guy lunged in first, which was stupid of him, considering he was unbalanced and very likely to hit his friend. Jungkook made quick work with him, landing a spinning kick on his temple. Jungkook felt almost guilty after hearing a loud crack against the wall next to them. He's not going to have fun waking up tomorrow, he thought, surprising himself with his own sadism. He had no time to clear the thought before the sober guy lunged, knife held straight out in front of him, ready to stab. Jungkook caught the man's wrist with one hand, twisted it, and punched him in the face. Since he was holding the guy's wrist, he didn't fall. Jungkook kneed him in the stomach one, two, three, four times until he dropped the knife.

Jungkook kicked the knife behind him and let the guy crumple to the ground. Jungkook let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. He looked at Chaeyoung for the first time. She was shaking, but she otherwise looked unharmed. She was looking at him with wide eyes, eyes that conveyed gratefulness and...fear? No, it couldn't be. Could it?

His answer came when she yelled "Behind you!"

The drunk man had somehow gotten up from the floor, taken the knife, and was charging toward Jungkook and Chaeyoung. Jungkook had his arms up, ready to disarm the guy if he took a swing at him. But he noticed that his unfocused eyes were now focused: at Chaeyoung. Jungkook was only prepared to defend himself, not defend his coworker. When the slash came toward Chaeyoung, he caught the blade with his left hand. He felt the blade dig into his palm, but all he felt was a warm sensation. The only thought in his mind was to keep Chaeyoung safe, no matter what he cost. With an inhuman yell, Jungkook wrenched the knife away from the other man's grasp, kneeing him in his groin before elbowing him The man fell to the ground without a sound.

He saw the sober man getting up slowly to his feet. Not again, he thought, and put his hands up in a defensive stance. However, the other man had his hands up in an 'I surrender' pose. "I'll just take my leave right about now. You can keep the little ," he said nodding toward Chaeyoung.

Jungkook felt another surge of anger well up in him, like he was a volcano ready to burst. The other man smiled, seeing it had the intended effect on Jungkook, and ran away. Jungkook was ready to chase after him. He took one step after him, but he felt a hand on his shoulder. He swung around to punch the owner of the hand, thinking that it was the drunkard. However, before his fist could move, he realized that it was Chaeyoung. 

"It's over," she whispered with an audible quiver in her voice.

Jungkook dropped his fist, as well the knife he had forgotten was still in his hand.

*

"You're bleeding," she said concernedly as they made their way away from the scene.

"I am?" Jungkook asked, looking at his hand, noticing for the first time that there was a very deep cut. The adrenaline he had during the fight diffused out of him like air and his mind registered the pain for the first time. "It's not that bad," he said, trying to shrug it off. With every step they took, the pain seemed to intensify.

Without warning, Chaeyoung gripped his wrist, and held the injured hand up to her face. Despite the situation, Jungkook felt tingles as he felt both her eyes and her skin on his. "'Not that bad'? This cut has to be at least half a centimeter deep!" she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter