Chapter 7

Snatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook POV

Almost as an afterthought, the mysterious woman introduced herself. "I'm Jisoo, by the way."

Jisoo... The name clicked somewhere in his mind, but he didn't know where he heard it from. He racked his brain for some sort of recognition, some sort of encounter they had. This woman, Jisoo, had known his name. So that must mean she'd seen him more than once, or else she wouldn't have been bothered to remember her name. One thing was for sure, though. Jungkook had never seen Jisoo, or at least had never held a conversation with her before. He would've remembered such a beatiful face. Her thin, straight eyebrows, her wide eyes with a slight crease under them to give her a look comparable to a panda, her slender nose, her heart-shaped lips, her cute, puffy cheeks, her round, perfectly proportional face; yes, Jungkook would have remembered such a face. 

But he couldn't help but compare Jisoo to Chaeyoung, and suddenly, the woman seated in front of him seemed to be less attractive to him. Chaeyoung was the epitome of his ideal type- from height to voice to looks. And for Jungkook, Chaeyoung's beauty eclipsed Jisoo's.

But still, sitting in front of someone of the opposite made him nervous. As he realized he had been checking Jisoo out for way longer than what was comfortable, he finally responded. "I'm Jungkook." Pause. "Oh wait, you already know that." He scratched the back of head, cursing himself for being such an introvert. "Um, no offense, but how do you know me?"

Her eyes widened, and parted suddenly. "Oh my gosh, I must look like such a creep! I work at Sihyuk- I mean, Bighit Enterprises." A cute blush crept onto her face, a light pink that emerged onto her pale face. "We've never actually talked before, though."

"Well, here we are now," Jungkook replied, immediately earning him a smile from Jisoo. "You must be cold. Do you want something to drink?" he asked, rising from his seat to order for her.

"Yes, actually," she replied, rummaging in her wallet for money. "I'm a cappuccino person myself." As she fished out the proper bills for the drink, Jungkook admired her similar taste in coffee.

Jungkook denied her money with a smile. "I'll pay for you," he said.

"Wow, such a gentleman," Jisoo teased, tucking the money away in her wallet. "Is this because you're falling for me?"

Jungkook back. "Don't get too ahead of yourself now. I'm only paying because my friend paid for my drink. So you should be thanking him, not me."

"Thank you, Jungkook's friend!" Jisoo announced in a childish sing-songy voice with a bit of natural aegyo added to it. The other customers in the vicinity turned to look at her, eyebrows raised, and she just waved back at them.

Jungkook shook his head, chuckling, and went to order.

*

As time passed in the coffeeshop, Jungkook got to know Jisoo better. She was 23, she'd been working at Bighit Enterprises for a year now, her favorite color was purple, she had a dog named Dalgom, she liked sweatpants, etc.

Jungkook didn't talk a lot about himself, as he wasn't as social as she was. However, Jungkook enjoyed listening to Jisoo narrate her life story enthusiastically while he just enjoyed the sound of her voice. He could feel himself warming up to her easily, even quicker than he had warmed up to Namjoon.

However, he was still sure he had heard the name Jisoo before, yet for some reason his almost-perfect memory was acting up. Every time he searched for her name in the databanks of his brain, it would fill him with a sense of dread. If only he knew why...

"That was some party Boss Sihyuk threw last night," said Jisoo.

Jungkook just nodded unenthusiastically, not quite agreeing but not wanting to hurt the person sitting opposite him's feelings, either.

"Why the down face?" Jisoo asked, reading his expression surprising well.

"I'm not really a party person. Or a people person, for that matter. Large parties aren't my setting, so I just felt out of place the whole time."

"Are you kidding me?" Jisoo put down her cappuccino and leaned forward with her elbows on the table. "You were the star of the party! You had everyone's attention!":

"And I hate getting attention. When people's eyes are on you... whether you know it or not, they're judging you. They're judging you for what you look like, for what you sound like, for what you do. When there's attention on you, you have to be careful of everything little thing you do or else you'll give people the wrong impression. Besides... the star that night was really Chaeyoung. There's no debating that one."

"Chaeyoung... it's always about Chaeyoung," Jisoo muttered under her breath, her face visibly darkening.

Jungkook was shocked at this sudden change in character. One second ago, she had been all cheery and "Yay! Happiness!" But now... there was a maniacal glint in her eye that deeply unsettled him. "Is something wrong?" he asked, though it was very obvious what the answer would be.

Jisoo smiled, but to Jungkook it looked like she was baring her teeth in a smile similar to a wolf's. "Of course not. Why would anything be wrong? Everything's fine!" Her voice got a little higher in pitch at every word, and was breathing very heavily. Apparently, she was a bad liar.

Jungkook crossed his arms. "It's pretty obvious that there's something bugging you." Bugging...

"I'm pretty sure Jisoo bugged the car."

Jungkook's heart started pumping erratically, getting him ready to either run or fight. A second ago, he had been so relaxed, just getting to know this woman. Yet, in just a snap of his fingers, adrenaline was coursing through his brain, fearful of Jisoo's every move.

That's where he heard the name from. How could he have possibly forgotten? It was the most important thing that was said that night, and it had slipped out of his memory. He felt guilty; like he was betraying Chaeyoung by fraternizing with the enemy.

Fraternizing with the enemy?

He shook his head and told his body to calm down. Yes, it was true that Chaeyoung had told him Jisoo was dangerous, but wasn't the conversation he just had with her proof otherwise? Jisoo seemed like a normal, sane human being that talked a little too much. 

And yet, Chaeyoung had been so sincere at the gas station, seemed so concerned for his safety. Was Jisoo really a threat? He knew never to judge a book by its cover, but... Jisoo had a pretty convincing cover.

"You look pale," said Jisoo, breaking him out of his thoughts. "Are you okay?"

"I think I'm sick or something," Jungkook's voice quivered, but he hoped that would add to his case. "You know, since it's cold and stuff."

Unfortunately, Jisoo was able to see right through his act. "I thought I was a bad liar. But compared to you, I'm a professional actress."

Jungkook let out a breath, resolving himself to the awkwardness that was about to ensue. He his lips, contemplating the best way to say what he was about to say. After a minute, and a lot of silence, Jungkook finally voiced the question that terrified him the most. "How did you get into my car last night?"

Jisoo didn't say anything at first, and Jungkook thought that she was about to ignore the question and leave him in confusion. But eventually, she answered. "I saw Chaeyoung crying in the passenger seat. I wanted to comfort her, so I tried opening the door, and it was unlocked."

What confused Jungkook the most was the silky smooth way Jisoo said this statement, without a hitch in her sentence, still looking him directly in the eye. She was lying, Jungkook knew it for a fact. But the way she said it so calmly scared him. What happened to the girl who couldn't lie before? Was that Jisoo all a front?

"You're lying," he said. "I'm 100 percent sure I locked the door." He got up, empty cup in hand. "Chaeyoung was right about you." He made to walk away, but Jisoo's next words froze him in his spot.

"And what did she say about me?" Jisoo asked, smiling and still seated. Despite the accusation

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter