Chapter 9

Snatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung POV

Why, when she was being so unbelievably intimate with Jungkook, did she feel so clear-minded? Why, when she was usually so introverted, did she feel so natural, even if it was just this once, being so near an extremely attractive man? Why, when Jungkook was showing so much vulnerability, did she feel the same pain as him?

Why, when she was so undeserving of him, were her arms the ones wrapped around him?

Despite the questions fluttering around in her brain, the ones that begged for her to doubt her actions,  she never for a moment second-guessed herself. Right now, her inhibitions didn't matter. Jungkook was in pain, so she had to do everything in her power to take it away.

She didn't know why she felt this sense of duty toward Jungkook. She was not his not his mother, not his family, not his lover, not even his friend. But this didn't matter, either. All that matter was that he was there, she was there, and that she would willingly trade her happiness for his.

She felt him lean into her embrace, whether knowingly or unconsciously, she didn't know. However, no matter what his intent was, she felt her heartbeat accelerate, and she feared that the intensity of it would be audible.

But if he noticed her traitorous heart, he didn't let it show. Though the physical tears had long been cried out of his system, he occasionally let out a shaky breath, signifying that he hadn't recovered yet. Not that she was complaining, though. The feel of his perfect masculine body under her arms, just hidden by a thin T-shirt... she should be thanking him for the contact. But that would be undeniably creepy, so she didn't voice her gratitude.

Eventually, Jungkook sighed, a deep, heavy sound. He obviously was still affected, but she could tell he was more collected now. With reluctance, she unwrapped her arms from his body, and it was as if the air around her became colder. Just realizing the position they had been in, she blushed at the fact that she'd been practically spooning his back.

Jungkook turned toward her, his gaze down toward her hands. "Thank you," he murmured. "You didn't need to stay."

"That's what fr-" She had been about to say "That's what friends are for". But really though, were they friends?

"I wanted to stay," she said. "I would feel guilty if I didn't." That was the safer answer.

Jungkook nodded. "I really wish you didn't see me like this." He leaned back into his side of the couch with an angry blush rising up to his ears. I really wish you didn't."

"Why? Everybody has those days."

"But..." Jungkook looked at his own hands. "You're... you."

Whatever that meant, Chaeyoung didn't press him. Frankly, she was just happy that she had lasted as long as she had in a normal conversation with him.

She could tell that dwelling in his past had taken a toll on him. She should know; what with her almost daily flashbacks. She also knew that the best treatment for the feelings that those memories drudged up was to take his mind off it.

"So..." she started, making sure to make her tone sound light and cheery. "Do you have a girlfriend?" The question not only served the purpose of changing the topic but, although Chaeyoung didn't admit it, she was genuinely curious. Namjoon had reassured her, or tried to reassure her, that Jungkook liked her. But how could he be so sure? She doubted that the two men were close enough to share the details of their love life. For all she knew, Jungkook was currently in a happy relationship with someone she didn't know.

"What?" Jungkook asked, dwelling in his pit of his despair, didn't hear the question.

"You heard me," Chaeyoung replied. "Let's get to the juicy stuff. Are you dating anyone?" Chaeyoung hated how corny and cringey and insensitive she sounded, but when Lisa talked to her like this after a flashback... well, it didn't always cheer her up, but it at least took her mind off her feelings.

"That's a dumb question," Jungkook replied, though he didn't sound facetious. "Do you think anybody would date this?" he asked, gesturing to himself. Which was completely absurd, because the answer was obviously yes.

"What's there not to like?" she wanted to ask, though she could already predict what kind of answer he would give. He would probably say something extremely self-deprecatory and untrue, based off the kind of person he was.

She decided just to get straight to the question she had attempted to ask him last night, at the party. She dredged up what little courage she had, telling herself that being curious was nothing to be ashamed of. Yes... that was what this was. All the emotions inside her: the quickening of her heartbeat every time she heard his voice, the blush that painted her cheeks every time he looked her in the eye, the smile that graced her face whenever he said her name- yes, that was just curiosity.

"Do you like anyone?"

Jungkook stiffened instantly at the question, and it comforted her to know that Jungkook was apparently not a good actor. That meant, whatever his answer was, she would finally know for sure. And she would finally get the "no" she knew was coming.

Jungkook looked so cornered and awkward that she almost felt bad. No, she did feel bad. But her resolve was strong. She had to know. She raised an eyebrow, hoping it would provoke a response from him.

Jungkook let out a sigh, resigning himself to his fate. He moistened his lips, sending shivers down to her core. Apparently Jungkook wasn't the only one in this house that had a thing for lips.

"Well..." he began.

*

Jungkook POV

"Well..."

How could she not know the answer to that question without even asking it? How could she not know how he felt every time she was around? How could she not know that he was the happiest, and most nervous, he was when she was near? How could she not know that she was the epitome of the word perfect?

"I like someone..." He found himself staring at her lips (why did he keep doing that?) while he talked. "But she doesn't know that I like her."

"Hmm," she rubbed her chin, and pretended to contemplate who it could be, ticking off some unknown calculations with her fingers. "Well that just leaves half the Earth's population."

Jungkook chuckled, the first episode of happiness he'd experienced since his humiliating breakdown. "Fine. She works at BigHit."

"Oh?"

"Yeah... but that's all there is to the story. She doesn't know how I feel."

Chaeyoung nodded and looked deep

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter