Chapter 5

Snatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung POV

"... and I just sat there. I couldn't even respond to him, What should I do?" Chaeyoung looked to Lisa for her reaction, but her friend seemed not to have heard her. Lisa was sitting on Taehyung's lap, the latter kissing his girlfriend's exposed shoulders as she tried to focus on Chaeyoung.

"What? Sorry, can you repeat that?" Lisa asked attempting to push Taehyung's face away from her shoulder, which didn't work.

"Nothing," Chaeyoung replied, allowing her friend to enjoy herself. After all, Lisa was her own person, not someone Chaeyoung was entitled to control. She stayed in her seat, but turned away from Lisa, giving her and Taehyung as much privacy as she could in her situation. Chaeyoung smiled bittersweetly, happy that her friend was with someone was truly in love with her. She, on the other hand, had squandered her chance with Jungkook. No, she corrected herself bitterly. There was no chance in the first place. Your eager mind probably distorted his words. The words "You look beautiful today" revertebrated in her mind. Yes, it was true Jungkook had complimented her. But did he really mean it? He could've said it out of courtesy. Or maybe he did mean it. Or maybe that was just a compliment he threw around easily. Don't overthink it, she told herself. It was just a compliment. People give other people compliments all the time.

So why was she still so hung up over this? He certainly wasn't her first crush. She definitely didn't have a chance with him, especially after this incident. But something about him made him feel like he cared about her, specifically. 

She glanced around the tight room, noticing how almost all the younger employees were paired with another person. Even Jennie, who had come here unfamiliar with everyone besides her and Lisa, was chatting animatedly with a blond boy. She spotted Namjoon off to the side, looking quite tipsy but approachable. She didn't know Namjoon all that well, just that Lisa and Taehyung were pretty good friends of his.

Namjoon immediately noticed her approaching, and he straightened up from his position against the wall. "Hey, what's up?" he asked as she neared him. "How did your talk with Jungkook go?"

"Nice conversation starter," she jabbed, trying to avoid the question.

Namjoon's eyes narrowed. "I know what you're trying to do, missy. Answer the damn question." Namjoon leaned back against the wall, his fingers massaging his temples. He smashed his head back onto the wall with a loud thud, making Chaeyoung jump. "I'm so sorry, I'm really drunk, and Jungkook's pestering isn't helping me one bit. He's been buzzing up my phone all night."

Chaeyoung slowly nodded in response, glad that Namjoon wasn't the type to get physical when he was drunk. She mentally slapped herself for even thinking that. Not every person was like her dad when they got drunk.

"But I still want you to answer the question. How did the talk go?"

Chaeyoung still wanted to avoid the topic, now regretting engaging in conversation with him. "If Jungkook told you about it, you should know. I was an idiot."

"Jungkook?" Namjoon asked, still rubbing his temples. "Oh yeah, Jungkook totally was the one that told me about it." Chaeyoung didn't notice his eyes flicker to Lisa's direction. "Well, Jungkook only told me that you had a conversation. She- I mean he was too busy to tell me anything about it." Chaeyoung, again, didn't notice Namjoon's eyes snap to Lisa, who was now making out with Taehyung. "Yup. Very busy."

Chaeyoung prayed to whatever higher beings there were for what she was about to do next. "Namjoon, can I ask a favor of you?"

"Sure, as long as it doesn't involve driving." His expression, however, didn't match what he said. He must be really annoyed at Jungkook, then, she thought.

"You're friends with Jungkook, right?"

"That's correct."

"I need you to tell me... if he likes anyone."

Namjoon's head perked up at the request. "He likes me," he said warily.

"You know what I mean," Chaeyoung replied, though she appreciated his caution.

"Do you want me to be honest with you?" Chaeyoung nodded in response, a little too eagerly. "I'm not sure. We haven't been friends for too long. But in the short time we've known each other, I've figured out that he plans to bury himself in work. He doesn't care about relaxing or being happy in general as long as he's not stressing anyone else out.

Chaeyoung nodded, fully understanding where Namjoon was coming from. She was reminded of what Jungkook said when they were outside: "It's better to get hurt than to see others get hurt." 

Namjoon continued with his thoughts. "So he keeps his feelings to himself to avoid hurting others. And in a way, to avoid hurting himself. Something must've happened to him to make him like this, to give him this sacrificial mindset. Whether it's with me, or with a new coworker he's just met, he isolates himself so he can't upset them, no matter how much he wants to reach out to others."

So Jungkook was like this with everyone. For some reason, that stung Chaeyoung. Why was just a simple crush making her feel this way?

Namjoon seemed to read her feelings. "But I can sense it's different with you. I know something happened between you two in the past few days. What with Jungkook showing up to work with a new injury, or the worried glances he kept throwing your way during work."

"How do you know all this?" Chaeyoung asked, her response immediately proving his theory. Only she and Jungkook knew about what had happened last night, right?

"I'm just observant," Namjoon said simply. "But I can tell you don't believe anything I say. Even if it makes logical sense, you refuse to believe that you have a chance." He tilted his head, observing Chaeyoung's expressions. "If you need an actual answer, I would try asking him." He pointed back in Lisa's direction, at the boy Jennie was talking to. Jungkook's really close to him."

Chaeyoung nodded, deciding that it would be best to consult someone Jungkook would confide his feelings in. But then she hesitated. What if he shared what he told her to Jungkook? She shuddered at the thought. That would make things so much worse. It can't get much worse than this, she comforted herself. He already thinks you hate him.

She remembered the brief look of pain on his face after she didn't respond to him. He admitted to caring about her. She said nothing. He called her beautiful. She still said nothing. But Jungkook always sacrificed his own feelings to spare others. Her previous theory that his compliment was just courtesy came back to the front of her mind. She balled her fingers into a fist. 

She couldn't let this time be like before. She couldn't stay silent. Even if it was being selfish, she had to find out if both Lisa and Namjoon's hunches were true, for her own sake.

Before she could make her way to Jennie and the blonde, Namjoon gently held her by the wrist. As she looked into his eyes, she could see just how tight a grip the alcohol had on him. His eyes were unfocused and his eyelids were heavy. She was eternally grateful to him for toughing through it for her. "Chaeyoung," he started. "Even if my guess is wrong, even if you decide he's not right for you, just know this." His face was sincere and she could tell he meant what he said, no matter that he was drunk. "You're attractive and you're humble. Any guy, including Jungkook, would be lucky to have you in their life, one way or the other."

Chaeyoung didn't say anything in response, and Namjoon didn't seem to be looking for one. He let go of her wrist, and she made her way to the blond. She was so focused on her goal that she didn't notice the hungry stares from men that followed in her wake.

*

Jungkook POV

He stared at the beer in the clear glass in front of him, admiring the amber colored liquid. It smelled almost fruity, an alluring smell that compelled Jungkook to take a sip. Jungkook had never tasted alcohol in his entire life, avoiding its effects at all costs. But now here he was, about to subject himself to something he promised himself he would never do. He lifted the glass, to eye level, eyeing the froth that coated the surface of the beer. It'll just taste like apple cider, he told himself before perching the glass at his lips.

But then he lowered the liquid to the table with a loud thud, spilling half of it and earning him a glare from the bartender. He muttered a quick "sorry" and turned so he was facing the band. A new one had just come in, the previous one had been too tired to continue. This band was much better than the last, but no one seemed to notice the quality difference.

He nodded along to their singing, appreciating how they opted for ballad songs. He even let himself sing along to some of them, but still, he couldn't distract himself completely. He couldn't distract himself from what had happened earlier.

How could he have been so stupid to think that showing stalker-like concern for Chaeyoung would elicit a good response from her? He had admitted that he cared about her, but only after he said that had he realized that the statement was totally unacceptable. He had only known her for two days, and if he were her, Jungkook would be creeped the hell out.

me, Jungkook thought, considering drinking again. No, he told himself firmly. Even if you were low enough to make Chaeyoung feel uncomfortable for your selfish needs, you won't swoop that low.

He held his head in his hands, considering leaving the party for what felt like the hundredth time that night. IHe didn't care if Namjoon would stop being his friend if it meant he would be saved from further embarassment.It was past midnight already; he could claim that he was tired. But then he changed his mind. Chaeyoung probably didn't know who he was anyways. She probably thought of him as some random creep that she had to avoid. Fine, he thought. It'll be better for both of us.

He spotted Namjoon off to the side, holding a bottle of beer in two fingers, and it looked like he was about to pass out. He would have to drive him home. He looked in Jimin's direction. He was still chatting with the girl he liked, oblivious to the fact that Jungkook had been gone for almost half an hour. Jungkook was jealous of how easily Jimin was able to start and stay in a conversation. If only he knew how not to make himself look like a total creep, maybe things would have turned out better for him.

Despite how awkward he was at conversation, Jungkook wanted to talk to someone. Awkward or not, Jungkook wanted to hear a voice that wouldn't judge him. And there were only two people at the party that filled that criteria: Namjoon and Jimin. Namjoon, however, despite maintaining a tipsy appearance, was completely drunk. Jungkook could tell by the way his normal composure was completely gone: he couldn't stand up straight, his shoulders were hunched around himself, and his body language just read "Stay away from me." Although Namjoon didn't look like the type to get completely wasted, the evidence was right in front of Jungkook.

So that just left Jimin. Jungkook turned his other friend's way, and noticed that his face was red from alcohol. This, however, didn't say much because Jimin's face turned red at the smallest sip of beer. 

Jungkook decided to go to his long-time friend, despite how engaged he already was in the conversation with the girl. He got up from his stool, ignoring the dirty look the bartender gave him, He felt cold in just his T-shirt, despite being inside with a ton of people. 

He reached Jimin at the same time as Chaeyoung. Both of them paused in their tracks, Jung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter