Prologue: The Promise

Innocent Love

Jimin has been sulking since he heard the news last week, his close friend, Jungkook was leaving for Seoul to stay with his father. Jungkook is two years younger than Jimin but they have been friends since they were toddlers. Their parents are childhood friends but lost touch when Jimin’s parents moved to the United States due to his dad’s work, but they met up again a year later when Jungkook moved to the United States with his mother to stay with his grandparents due to his parent's marriage problems. When Jimin first met Jungkook, he was a shy and timid boy and Jimin being a loud kid, they didn’t get along but eventually, they grew closer. They are both in their seventh grade of middle school even though Jungkook is only eleven, being smart he was able to skip the sixth grade, they became inseparable like twins. Where Jimin was, Jungkook was there, they didn’t share the same hobbies, but they were both athletic, Jimin into dancing and Jungkook into sports like soccer or running.

Since his parents told him last week that Jungkook is moving to live with his father in Seoul, South Korea, Jimin has been depressed and moody. He tried to convince Jungkook’s mother to not move back to Seoul, but she brushed it off by telling him that he was not going for a long time and that he will be back sooner than he realizes.

The day has finally arrived and Jimin was in a hurry for school to end so he would be able to spend time with Jungkook before he leaves. There was five-minute left of class, he starts to fidget with his pencil as the teacher finishes up the lecture. The bell finally goes off and he jumps out of his seat, shoves all his stuff into his backpack and rushes out of the door. He meets up with his friend Taehyung but being in hurry, he waves at him goodbye while he rushes out of the exit and towards the parking’s where the chauffeur Mr. Steven’s was waiting with the car. Mr. Steven had the car door opened for Jimin, Jimin quickly gets in the car and puts on his seatbelt and the chauffer closes the door.

The drive home felt long, Jimin who usually is talkative, stayed quiet staring at his phone, Mr. Steven’s knew he was sad because Jungkook was leaving today so he didn’t question his attitude. As soon they reach home he rushed out of the car with his backpack and into the house, passing his mother in the leaving room,

“Whoa!” says his mother, “where are you running too?” 

Jimin unaware of his mother’s presences didn’t hear her question and rushed to his room, he throws his backpack on the bed. The door opens, and his mom was standing in the doorway.

“Why are you in a hurry?”

“Oh, I’m going to Jungkook’s house,” he replies taking off his school uniform. His mother sighs and folds her arm,

“Jungkook isn’t leaving until seven, slow down,” she says, “You’re going to get hurt running around like that. Eat lunch and do your homework, then you can go hang with Jungkook.”

“But…” protests Jimin, “I can do my homework later.”

“No, eat lunch and do your homework right down,” she insists, glaring at him, “It’ll be too late by the time Jungkook leaves.” She walks out of the room and closes the door. Jimin sits down on the bed with his arms folded, pouting.

Jimin quickly finishes his homework after an hour, he looks at the clock and it was already four o’clock, he picks up his cellphone and rushes out of the door.

“Did you finish your homework!” shouts his mother from the Kitchen,

“Yes!” he exclaims and slams the door shut as he quickly runs out. Jungkook didn’t leave far, it was a minute walk, he lives across from them, they got lucky the house was for sale. Jimin standing in front of the door takes a deep breath and exhales, calming his heart that was racing due to his running.

He knocks on the door and the maid opens the door, “Young master Jimin?” Jimin smiles taking a glance in the living room but he could not see anyone,

“Is Jungkook here?”

“Yeah, he is in his room,” says the maid, “Come in….” before finishing her sentence, Jimin walks past her. He goes upstairs to Jungkook’s room, he opens the door but Jungkook was not in sight, hmm, he is not here. The door opens and Jungkook walks in,

“Jimin?” he says surprised, “Why are you here so early?” Jimin breaks out in a huge a grin,

“Well, I wanted to spend time with you before leaving for the airport,” he replies. Jungkook smiles and motions for him to sit down, Jimin, too nervous paces back and forth in the room instead. His eyes land on the suitcases leaning against the wall,

“You’re all packed?” 

Jungkook nods his head, Jimin felt a sharp pain, everything starting to sink in, Jungkook’s really leaving. His eyes start to tear up as he stares at the suitcases, Jungkook gets off the bed and stands in front of him, he grabs a tissue and starts to wipe Jimin's tears, Jimin looks up at him, despite being younger, Jungkook was a lot taller than Jimin and mature, he always has been, people often thought he is the oldest among them two.

“You promised you wouldn’t cry,” he says in his own tears, Jimin looks at him, surprised, it was the first time seeing Jungkook cry, even when he was talking about his parents’ marriage problem, he didn’t shed a tear before.

“You’re crying too,” he replies, he wipes Jungkook’s tear with his finger. 

Jimin was on his stomach and Jungkook was beside him, pulling video games even though Jimin is not good at it, he enjoyed playing it because Jungkook would always let him win,

“How long has it been since you have been to Seoul?” asks Jungkook,

“Hmm,” says Jimin, “I don’t remember, long time.”

Jungkook puts down the controller and gets up, Jimin follows him with his eyes, puzzled, Jungkook comes back with one of his arms behind his back, 

“Can you stand up and close your eyes?”

Jimin stares at him confused but gets up, he closes his eyes and feels something dropping down his chest, he touches something that feels like a metal and opens his eyes, a small double silver pendant with the infinity symbol was hanging from his neck, he smiles, Jungkook pulls the same necklace from under his shirt,

“We'll always be together, no matter how far apart we are,” he says gripping the necklace. They both grin,

“Promise?” says Jimin,

 Jungkook goes quiet for a few minutes,

“I promise I will come back…Will you wait for me?”

Jimin stares, blank, "wait for you? His eyes grow wide, understanding what Jungkook was asking.

Jimin has always confessed his feelings to Jungkook since they were little. He made it known to everyone that when they are older, he will be Jungkook first boyfriend but Jungkook always gave him the cold shoulder whenever he said that, and their parents would laugh.

“I promise,” he says, “Promise to call me every day?”

Jungkook chuckles and nods his head. Jungkook pulls Jimin closer wrapping his arms around him. His embrace warm, and his small arms seemed very protective when wrapped around Jimin's frail body. Despite the heaviness in his stomach, it flutters at the feeling of Jungkook’s body pressed against his. He sinks into the warmth of his side, appreciative of the simple gesture. His touch made the room warmer somehow, his future within its walls seem a little less bleak, everything felt right at that moment.