Chapter Twenty Seven

You & Me

Him

"Do you feel even the smallest amount of remorse because of what you've done?"

When his interlocutor just shook her head negatively, two lines appeared on Taehyung's forehead.

"What gives you the right to act like that?", he asked then, less patiently. "Need a better view? Okay, then!"

He took the laptop and placed it on Yo-Na's lap, then he clicked space bar.

On video player was CCTV footage in the resting room, dating from this morning. Yo-Na was seen walking into one of the cabins, and not even two minutes later, Somin appeared in the corner of the camera. She walked to the sink, took the mascara out of her beauty-bag, that she then placed in front of the mirror. After that, she took out lipstick and Yo-Na walked out and stood in front of the sink next to Somin's, so she could wash her hands. There was no sound on the footage, but it is seen that she turned her head while drying her hands, which for some reason, disturbed Somin, who then straightens pose and turns as well.
The two of them talk for a few moments, then Somin walks closer, technically getting in other woman's face, who was still talking. Somin's hand raises, but is quickly tackled down by Yo-Na's, whose other hand flies over Somin's face instead.

The screen freezes after that moment.

"Have you thought about your reply now?", Taehyung put laptop back on desk and stares at his friend intensely. If she wasn't here for other reason, maybe she would've enjoyed that gaze and the fact that she was with him.

However, Yo-Na couldn't help but notice that during the past seven day, her best friend from college has transformed into completely different person.

"Actually", she speaks up after a few moments, "I have."

He tilted his head a little, awaiting.

"If someone gave me the chance to repeat this morning, I would slap her even harder."

Fake reconciliation in Taehyung's eyes was replaced with anger. "How dare you..."

"Tae, not a single person in this building is able to withstand that woman! She's bullying everyone while you just sit here, nod your head and jump whenever you hear her voice! You act like a teenage boy who's madly in love and threatens to fight anyone who dares to touch his girl! But that isn't you!"

He grabbed her by arms and shook her vigorously. On his face, that was switching moods like a child on a seesaw, was now showing sadness, indecision and worry.

"Then who am I, Yo-Na?"

She extended one arm out of his grip and laid palm on his cheek. She missed that feeling, as well as the times when she was allowed to hold his hand and hug him when he's down, excusing it on friend's love. Because that's all she's ever going to be in his life - a friend. And friends don't give up on each other.

"You're Kim Tae Hyung, the heir of multi-million dollars worth company. You like homemade food prepared by your parents' cook, Miss Choi. You're not sorry for the money you spent on clothes and wine. You love life and people, and most of them all, you love your wife, Jeon Jiwoo."

On mention of that name, Taehyung winced. It was strange, hearing it slipping down someone's tongue instead it being constantly on his mind. He could swear that he'd completely forget her soon, he had a very good reason to after all. But why was he, instead, going back to times when he was allowed to put his hand around her waist just because they were in public, when he could hear her laugh and secretly admire her whole being? All that admiration would disappear as soon as they'd step into house that was empty without her love that he craved so badly.

"I know she's the one you love, the one you wouldn't shut about for two years before you were finally able to propose her."

He wanted to stop her, to tell her she's not right, when he actually wanted to listen to her talking rationally, speaking out everything he was afraid to admit to his reflection in the mirror.

"How can you be so sure about what you're saying?", he barely managed to say.

"When you were telling me about Jiwoo for the first time, I saw this gleam in your eyes. That gleam only exists in eyes of people who truly love another person. You didn't fall for her looks only, you found out she's very brave in kitchen and heard about how caring she is. For the first time in your life, you truly wanted something."

Now he already turned his back to Yo-Na, so that she wouldn't see the tears in his eyes.

"But Jung Seola is not something you want, but rather something you think you need to want. That's why I'm begging you not to do anything just for the person that doesn't cause that gleam I saw in New York six years ago."

Every new word was like a dagger piercing deeper into his heart. Taehyung knew that Yo-Na was right, but it still hurt. How was he supposed to get over all Jiwoo's cold shoulders?

"Yo-Na", he tried resisting once again, "she tried to kill me."

"Did you ever bother listening to her side of the story? Or did you push her away because of tantrum?"

His silence was the clearest answer she could get.

"At least try hearing her out. If you think there is still a reason that's good enough to never see her again, I won't meddle."

She headed to the doors, stopping only when she heard Taehyung calling her out.

His gaze was already a little more lively.

"Why are you helping me if I just..."

She smiled a little. "That'll be my little secret."

***

"Hey kid, are you even listening?"

Taehyung snaps back to reality and the first thing he sees is his Father's serious face staring back.

"What?", it was clear that he didn't hear a word, nor he even bothered to.

Truth to be told, all he could think about was the conversation with Hwang Yo-Na and how much effect her words have left on him. So much that Taehyung was debating whether or not he should call Jiwoo and try to talk to her when she's not under influence of alcohol and when he's thought about their situation more thoroughly.

However, he wasn't allowed to zone out, because today was the day of his final trial with rival company from Busan, that sued Taehyung for "abuse of position". After more than half-a-year, they gathered enough proofs to turn over the verdict and it seemed like luck was finally facing him.

His father's lawyer, one of the best from his field, Han Sang Goo, met them prior to departure for court, to go over details and what each one of them is supposed to say.

"I was just talking about your scenarios. You're going to testify in your own defense and that, perhaps, is the most important part in whole trial. You know exactly what you're supposed to say, right?", Mr Han looked at him under half-moon shaped glassed, waiting for reply.

Taehyung just nodded and murmured something that was supposed to sound like "of course".

His thoughts kept interrupting his concentration; he thought about Jiwoo again and what might happen once they meet again. Would she even come back if he asked? Taehyung doubted, but decided to call her when the trial ends.

The meeting prolonged for around thirty more minutes, when Taehyung felt strange pain piercing through his chest. The dull feeling continued and his hand instinctively pressed the center of his ribcage.

"Are you okay?", Kim Jung Woo asked and his son just shook his head.

"It's just too hot inside."

"Come to think of it, we could use some new air conditioning... I'll call workers as soon as next week. Now let's go, they won't wait for us", the CEO got up and headed outside. Meanwhile, the pain Taehyung felt has stopped, but he followed his father outside with his gut telling him something bad was going to happen.

Outside they waited for the drivers to arrive with their cars and Kim Jung Woo took that time to call his wife. Taehyung was standing on the pavement when his phone rang. Recognizing the number, he made sure no one was watching him and only then picked up.

"Detective Park?"

"Mr Kim...", the voice on the other side greeted back. "It's about Miss Jeon..."

The tension in Taehyung's body automatically built when Park Min Ho mentioned Jiwoo.

"She was shot ten minutes ago..."

A knot in Taehyung's stomach tightened.

"Where is she now?!", he nearly yelled, fearing the worst.

"They're taking her to Lower Manhattan Hospital; Matthew Kim ran away two minutes before ambulance arrived."

Matthew Kim? Is that the name of the man who was always with her?

Taehyung couldn't waste any minute, as he had to get to the airport as soon as possible.

"Detective Park, listen to me. Do just as I told you before - follow every step and never let her out of your sight. I'll be there soon enough."

Hanging up, he looks around and notices that their cars just arrived. Crazy idea went through his mind as he approached the vehicle, but he had to be fast in order to get to the airport as soon as possible.

Both drivers were outside the cars, with their backs turned to him, which seemed like perfect opportunity. Taehyung grabbed the door handle and entered the driver's side, locked from the inside and started engine in the matter of seconds. When his father finally noticed, it was already too late as his son was driving down the street in full speed.

Incheon International Airport

Taehyung didn't bother looking back to check if he pushed anyone or if someone was following him. The most important to him was to get to the nearest reception... which was near to impossible in crowded spring afternoon. Guided by stubbornness, and also by fear for Jiwoo's well-being, he fastened his walk and pushed through the crowd, angry yelling and swearing following him, but again, he didn't care one bit.

God, please just let her be alright... Pass your curses on me, just leave the one I love live in peace!

Taehyung didn't mind getting hurt as long as Jiwoo was safe and sound. He cursed himself for leaving her so easily, thinking that he would eventually forget about her and their ways would part naturally. Because it only made him even thirstier for the love he never got in return.
He didn't mind leaving everything behind; the company, their parents, friends and lives in Seoul, just in order to be with Jiwoo.

He bought a one-way ticket to New York, and the nearest flight was in three hours. Too long for someone as impatient as him right now. He would've ordered a private plane, but those had to e scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. After he ran away like that, Taehyung doubted his father would let him go anywhere farther than his office.

He set on a bench and let out a deep sigh. The energy that he had from when he stole the car until he bought the ticket was slowly leaving his body and for the first time today he was tired. Even so,  Jiwoo actively ran through his mind, as he wondered where she could be shot and would they operate her immediately? If it's something serious, like head trauma, would she be in coma by now?

Taehyung placed his head in his hands and sighed again. He raised his head seconds later, to find that Jung Seola was standing in front of him. She was wearing her usual work uniform and her cheeks were red, as if she just ran. She gazed at him with eyes filled with sorrow.

"You're going back to her, aren't you?"

"How did you know I'll be here?", he avoided replying by asking back.

She shrugged. "I was just nearby when you snatched the car. Brave. But you could at least let me know."

"There wasn't really time for goodbyes...", he returned shortly and cautiously. There was no guarantee that she wasn't followed by someone from the company.

"It's okay, I don't really expect you to go back or make excuses. I'm used to being left behind by the people I trust the most."

Taehyung looked away. He had no energy or will to act nice and explain to details why he was leaving. It was obvious anyways. Not every side-story is meant to have a happy ending.

"What do you want, Seola?", he asked on edge of his patience.

"Just a bit of your time", she replied. "Join me for lunch in restaurant on 1st floor and let's call it a day. I'm going to quit my job so you can come back with her."

How he didn't sound convinced, or still on guard, she sighed. "It's just you and me. Besides, if you just sit here for the next two hours, Kim Jung Woo's people are going to find you easily."

Convinced only a bit, Taehyung finally gets up and follows Seola to said restaurant. He had no reason to do this, maybe it was just the little empathy he had left, but he still hoped it wouldn't take longer than one hour.

Just as he feared, their lunch prolonged for the next two hours. More precisely, her lunch, since Taehyung hasn't touched a single meal placed in front of him.

"Remember our first dinner together? I called you out back then as well", she commented, faking sentiment just so she would keep him sitting for as long as possible, which was mission impossible when he kept checking his watch every five minutes, knowing exactly when he's supposed to leave. Little did he know both Jung Seola and Jeon Somin had very different plans.

"I'd rather not remember that", he looked away from both her and the food. He nearly fainted back then, if it wasn't for her to call his name million times and slap him.

"Too bad, I feel like it was yesterday...", she smiled a little and reached one hand in her bag.

"At least have this juice I got you", she passed him a small bottle that he took reluctantly and how Seola didn't take her eyes off him significantly, he got that as a message to "at least take a sip".

Taehyung then opened the bottle and took one swig, just to satisfy her curiosity. It really tasted like grapes, maybe too sweet for his taste. She smiles wider.

"You should head out first", she concluded and got up to greet him for the last time by pulling him into tight hug and laying her head on his chest.

"Promise me one thing...", her whisper echoed on his ribs. "Whatever happens, promise me that you won't be angry with me, or look for me to get your answers..."

Small tears formed in the corners of her eyes. Those were Somin's real tears and Somin's feelings, though she had no right to ask such thing from him. He fell for Seola, not Somin, the greedy liar whose lies ruined three more lives. But it was too late to turn back now.

Taehyung hummed out one "yes". "I could never be angry with you. If anything, I should be thanking you, because you helped me realize the truth."

"Believe me... you don't even know half the truth."

After they parted, Somin stayed inside alone for a while before going out herself. She headed towards the boarding section when her phone rang and she knew it could only be one person.

"Everything alright?"

Somin then looked over at the crowd that started to form ten feet away from where she was standing. People where gathering around lifeless body and she didn't have to look to know the body belonged to Kim Tae-Hyung.

"Yeah", she replied in English. "All according to plan."