Silent rebel

Mending Our Hearts

"Mrs. Lee, We are really sorry that we could no longer keep Taehyung with us. We understood his situation when we took him in that he needed extra care and love but things are going out of hand. We just have to terminate and withdraw our involvement in this foster care program." 

 

"Mr. and Mrs. Son. We sincerely apologize on behalf of Taehyung and on our part as the Orphanage. .."

 

"Taehyung dear. We are sorry we cannot have you with us anymore, please take care." A pat on Taehyung's shoulders and the Son couples left. This was the 4th time Taehyung has been returned by his foster parents to the orphanage care facility that the government had placed him under after he was discharged from the hospital, it has only been a few months. 

 

"Kim Taehyung! Why must you make things so difficult for everyone? It's not easy to find a placement for a teen like you in our foster care system. You are being fortunate that people out there heard about your story and wanted to help. Don't you want a home?" Mrs. Lee, the director of the orphanage facility was trying her best not to vent her frustration on Taehyung, but despite being mute, Taehyung had been acting out. Fighting in school, vandalizing, stealing, tantrums, running away... everything a stuck up rebellious teen would do. Or worse. 

 

His therapist Dr. Yang worked a whole month just to get Taehyung to respond to simple conversation. The only thing Taehyung did was a nod or to look straight into the person with his soulless ghostly eyes. When he is not acting out, Taehyung will spend most of the time being in his own world, almost similar to a child with autism. 

 

Returning to his bunk bed in the facility. Taehyung curled himself in his blanket. Silent tears damped the pillow. No one had ever seen him cry, not even Dr. Yang. 

 

'Mom. I'm scared.'

 

 

Taehyung: Hyung! 

 

Seokjin: Hey Tae. How are you doing?

 

Taehyung: Alright I guess. I am back in the facility again. 

 

Seokjin: Oh no. Why? Did your foster parents treat you badly?

 

Taehyung: No. It was my fault. 

 

Seokjin: Want to tell me what happened? 

 

Taehyung: I fought in school again and I broke one guy's nose. 

 

Seokjin: Why did you do that? 

 

Taehyung: They are saying bad stuff. Really bad stuff.

 

Ever since Seokjin contacted Taehyung. They have been communicating through text messages fairly often although they have not met in person since that unfortunate day. No one knew Taehyung had been communicating with someone other than the people around him, it's a secret Taehyung wants to keep. 

 

"Hey, dumb (mute) boy! So you are back here again? Told you no one wants you. Heard you fought someone again. You have some guts huh?" There are always bullies and people like that everywhere you go. Taehyung would just ignore them most of the time unless things get physical or words get harsh and Taehyung might just lose it and lash out his anger. Sometimes it's frustrating for Taehyung, ever since he lost his ability to speak, his disability had become a cage that held in all his emotions without a place to release. Taehyung wanted to shout, to yell, to curse back, or to just tell someone how he felt inside but he just couldn't. 

 

"Stop glaring at me, dumb boy. Come! Curse at me! I know you want it. What's the matter? You can't?" Those bullies again, slapping Taehyung across the face and laughing. 

 

"Oh wow. Look at his eyes. They are on fire! Ouch! Hahahaha... wanna fight? You have guts don't you?" 

 

Before another boy could say more degrading words to him, Taehyung threw a forceful punch into the boy's face and kicked another in the guts. Although that boy was seemingly taller and larger in body size than Taehyung, perhaps it's just like the story of David and Goliath, Taehyung took him out cold with just one punch, accidentally the boy's head hit the metal bars of their bunk bed, blood starts to seep through the boys hair and to the flooring he laid. 

 

Other boys were stunned by what just happened, Taehyung knew he could stay no more, he ran, took his rucksack and head straight for the secret escape route out of the facility that he discovered a few weeks ago. It wasn't difficult, without much hassle Taehyung was out in the open. 

 

Taehyung knows he needs to get away before the authorities or the people from the facility comes after him, but he has nowhere to go, there isn't a place called home anymore after that day that took his only family away. Taehyung, sprinting through the dark alleyways, the only person that came to his mind was Seokjin. The only person he could talk to. It has been decided. Taehyung is going to Seoul. 

 

Taehyung: Hyung. 

 

Seokjin: Oh hey Tae. What's up? 

 

Taehyung: I am in Seoul. 

 

Seokjin: WHAT?! 

 

Taehyung. I ran. 

 

Seokjin: Where are you? 

 

Taehyung: I don't know. In the bus terminal. 

 

Seokjin: Stay there. I'll come get you. 

 

It was late at night, probably the last bus that came up all the way from Busan. It must be a long ride, almost 5 hours. Seokjin is a little worried for the boy. What had Taehyung got himself into? It wasn't difficult to spot Taehyung, there haven't been many people at the terminal at this time of the day, a lonely and rather miserable figure stood leaning against a pillar with a rucksack across his shoulders. Seokjin pulled over his car and approached Taehyung.

 

"Hey. Tae?"

Taehyung lifts up his head and turns his eyes from staring at his own feet to Seokjin. It was a long moment of silence. There were so many unsaid words in the boy's eyes and Seokjin could see the tear that Taehyung held in but never let out. Seokjin gave Taehyung a hug, wanting to calm the tsunami of emotions inside the boy.

"It's ok, Tae. It's ok." 

Seokjin held Taehyung's rucksack and led him to his car. 

"Had your dinner yet?" It sounds stupid to ask such question, Seokjin wanted to laugh at himself for foolishly asking that, he was pretty sure Taehyung never had food after he ran, but probably he just wanted to break the silence and awkwardness between him and the teen. Taehyung shyly shook his head.

"Let's get something to eat shall we?" Taehyung nodded.

Seokjin pulled over at a noodle shop and both sat down for a meal. 

"You can order anything." Seokjin smiled at Taehyung, assuring him he could pick whatever he wants to eat. But something felt weird for Seokjin, the boy had never uttered a word since he picked him up from the bus terminal, all he did was nodding or shaking his head in reply to all his questions. And when the waitress asked if he wants any drinks, Taehyung would point at the glass of water the neighboring table's customer is having. Seokjin is puzzled, Taehyung 'talks' a lot in their exchange of text messages but this doesn't seem to reflect the image of the boy he had in his mind. Something seemed to be off. 

The trip back to Seokjin's place was also silent, although the boy fell asleep halfway through the drive, it was rather bothering for Seokjin. 

"Hey Tae. We're here." Seokjin gently woke up the sleeping boy, tapping on Taehyung's shoulders. Taehyung rubs his sleepy eyes and found himself in front of a rather nice house, though not huge per se, it was of decent size, way better than any of his previous foster family's household. The house was neat and decorated with basic furniture, but it was empty, Taehyung did not see anyone there, and Seokjin seem to have caught Taehyung's curious expression.

"I'm the only one living here. It's my uncle's house actually. His family migrated a year ago and so they let me have it. Technically is still his though." Seokjin explained and laugh. 

"You can have the empty room over there. I'll get you a blanket and pillow." After setting up the bed for Taehyung, Seokjin went for a shower, the question regarding Taehyung still lingers in his mind. He knows he needs to talk to Taehyung, or at least know what happened that caused him to come all the way on his own to Seoul. Just as Seokjin pushed opened Taehyung's slightly ajar room door, he found Taehyung soundly asleep on the bed and his pillow dampened. 

'I guess I'll talk to him. Maybe another day.'