Young Forever

Mending Our Hearts

"I-I don't think I can do this, guys." Yoongi had no idea how he ended up in Hongdae with his guitar and a long list of songs in his hands. 

 

"C'mon Yoongi hyung! You practiced with Jungkook countless times for the past few days. A month ago weren't you still doing the band? You are the pro here, hyung." Hoseok helped set up an amplifier for the mic and guitar which they borrowed from a friend of Seokjin's. 

 

"I.. err... I never had a crowd of more than 20 people. I don't think I..." They are not even started yet but the crowd is already pilling up around their corner, probably curious of what performance the duo will bring about. Hongdae is famous for its street performances, singers, dancers, bands, artists, actors, magicians, you name it. It's a haven talented young people would gather to showcase their talents to the public, it's a good place to start for aspiring underground musicians like Yoongi and they could even earn a living if they are good enough. 

 

Yoongi had no idea why he was freaking out, it's not the first time he performed, although never so many audiences in the past, but he never once cared if people are even listening to him perform, it's probably a habit he developed while playing in pubs as the majority of pub goers are not there for the music. Most of the time, he would just enjoy himself on stage regardless of the cold responses from the audience, but not this time. 

 

"Seokjin-hyung, I really can't do this." Yoongi's voice is shaking, or rather he himself is shaking all over. His hands are going extremely cold, his face looks paler than he already is and his breathing turns rapid. Yoongi had a bad feeling that he could just pass out any moment. 

 

"Yoongi, you... you alright?" Seokjin immediately noticed how pale Yoongi is, the ragged breathing and the alarming wheezing sound Yoongi is producing. 

 

"Yoongi come here." Seokjin pulled Yoongi to aside, the five other boys are staring at both of them. "I think you are having a panic attack right now, Yoongi. You need to relax, it's ok, you don't need to do this if you don't feel like it, we can just go back, it's not a big deal anyway, it's for fun, remember?" This is the second time Seokjin witnessed Yoongi having a panic attack, the first time being in the plane wreckage where they first encounter. 

 

"Hyung. We can just go back. It's ok. We can still do it next time if you want to." Jungkook too was concerned with how sick Yoongi looked right now. 

 

It's getting hard to focus now, Yoongi is getting nauseous, and he sat down on the pavement trying to catch his breath. Namjoon is fanning Yoongi with a cardboard trying to give him some air and space instead of the stagnant air from the crowded street. Hoseok is passing Yoongi a bottle of water, and a plastic bag for him to breathe into, Seokjin is holding Yoongi's shaking hands, afraid that Yoongi might really pass out.  

 

Yoongi closed his eyes, taking slow and long deep breaths into the plastic bag. 'You can do this Yoongi! You can do this! You are a pro at this!' Yoongi trying his best to motivate himself. 

 

"It's ok, Yoongi. I think we should just go back. No need to push yourself for something like that." Seokjin making a decision, signaling others to pack up their stuff. Just as others are ready to abort their plan, Yoongi put down the plastic bag.

 

"I'll do it." 

 

"No. Not today. Maybe next time Yoongi." Seokjin insisted.

 

"NO!" Yoongi shouted. The others are stunned. "Let me do it! I want to do it! I have to." None of them knew how to react, they've never seen their calm and collected friend acting this way before. "I want to try. Hyung!" Yoongi now almost pleading with Seokjin. 

 

"Ok. No forcing. If you have had enough even after just one song, is fine, we can leave." 

 

"Thank you, hyung. Thank you, guys. Sorry." Yoongi tries to steady himself and when his breathing got smoothed out. Both Yoongi and Jungkook got into their positions, while the others stood at the side or behind them, giving them silent support. 

 

"Ah..ah.. Mic test." Yoongi speaks into his mic, his voice still slightly shaky but almost unnoticeable by now. 

 

"Hello! Ermm... I am Yoongi, and this is Jungkook. This is our first time performing here tonight, and we hope you all enjoy our performance! Have a great time!" Yoongi smiled, others are all eyeing Yoongi closely, afraid if things would go wrong, but to their relieve, Yoongi and Jungkook almost nailed all their performance flawlessly, Yoongi is indeed a pro, the others just have to agree, the way he lifted the atmosphere of the crowd and builds the hype, and most of all guiding and leading first timer Jungkook in his performance. Rounds and rounds of applause came their way, money too. 

 

After their final song. It was a wrap. A successful one. It's hard to tell just three hours ago, Yoongi was actually suffering a really bad panic attack. When the audience dispersed and left, Yoongi sat down on the pavement again, blank, and it almost scared the out of the others yet again when he started to cry. 

 

Jungkook was the first one that went up to Yoongi and gave him a hug which Yoongi surprisingly sob even harder into Jungkook's embrace. Jungkook didn't know what to do, so he just smiled, hoping it will calm his hyung down. Seokjin too approached Yoongi and had his arm around his shoulders, rubbing the sides as a sign of assurance and comfort. No words needed, they all knew. 

 

'I-I think I did it, Yena.'

 

"Hyung... Hoseok hyung!" Jimin called out to Hoseok that seems to be staring at something, too focused to even realized Jimin had called him multiple times. "Hoseok hyung, we need to get going already, you done packing those wires?" Jimin's voice snapping Hoseok back to reality. "Oh yeah, sure." 

 

 

*************

 

 

Back in Seokjin's house, Jungkook phoned his aunt, eager to share his experience which almost gave his aunt a heart attack, and now Jungkook is pestering his aunt to let him learn singing and guitar. Good luck aunty Mikyung! The others just have to laugh. 

 

That night wasn't the last night Yoongi performed, since then, he had been heading to Hongdae by himself almost every day even during the day, one other night, Jungkook and the others had again joined him for fun.Yoongi seems to have found his motivation again. There's still a little block that he hasn't overcome when he does his composing, but it is fine, he believed he will eventually find his inspiration again. 

 

 

*************

 

 

It was like any other nights that all seven of them gathered together in the living room after dinner, it has become almost a habitual thing for them to have some bonding time, whether just to chat around, movies, or games. After almost two weeks together, they are getting fond of each others' company. Two weeks isn't a long time for the seven of them, but so many things happened in that short duration of time, it's a rather crazy experience for all of them. They had never cried so much or laughed so much since the incident. It's almost as if they had all saved up their crying and laughing quota just so they could spend it all during their two weeks together. 

 

"Hyung! (not particularly directed to anyone but everyone in general) What should we do tonight?" As always, Jungkook initiates the conversation. 

 

"Movie." Taehyung gestured. Taehyung surprised everyone as that was his first time making a suggestion. 

 

"Oh my god. Taehyung-ah!" Namjoon almost jumping onto Taehyung hugging him, Taehyung shrugged without even looking at Namjoon. 

 

"Hahaha ... ok Tae. Nice. Let's go with a movie then." Seokjin starts to go through his collection of movies. 

 

Yoongi noticed Jimin was not in the living room yet as the movie starts to play. "Hey Hoseok, where's Jimin? He's not watching?" 

 

"Oh yeah, he's taking a nap just now, I'll go ask him." Just as Hoseok was about to get up from the couch to get Jimin, a loud bang was heard from the hallway, particularly from Hoseok and Jimin's room. Hoseok immediately rushed to see what had happened, the others followed behind. Hoseok's blood immediately went cold when he saw Jimin on the floor with his wheelchair overturned and a corner shelf had also fallen to the ground with books and other items scattered everywhere. Hoseok went to help Jimin up without hesitation but was stopped by Jimin yelling at him. 

 

"Don't touch me!" 

 

"W-What? Jimin what's wrong?" Hoseok was taken aback by Jimin's response. 

 

"Don't bother, just leave me alone!" 

 

"Leave you alone? What are you doing?... Were you trying to stand and walk?" Hoseok is confused. 

 

"Just go!"

 

"Jimin, at least let me help you up ok?" 

 

"I SAID LEAVE ME ALONE!" 

 

"Jimin! What's wrong with you?!" Hoseok's blood is starting to boil. 

 

"Get out!" Jimin is trying to push himself up off the ground but failed and falling once more. 

 

"Jimin! Stop!" Jimin is so close from landing on a broken mug as he falls yet again. Everyone's heart skipped a beat. 

 

The other five boys all stood at the door staring in shock and silence, not knowing how they could interfere. Despite Jimin's yelling, Hoseok approached Jimin and grabbed Jimin under both his arm, forcefully lifting Jimin up to settle him back on his wheelchair, but before he could do that, Jimin was starting a fit, pushing Hoseok away from him. 

 

"NO! GO AWAY!... NOO! LEAVE ME ALONE!" Jimin was screaming and crying so loud even Yeontan ran and went into hiding.

 

"Jimin! What's going on?! Please!" Hoseok was frustrated as he couldn't calm Jimin down. 

 

Jimin, now crying on the floor. "I can't do it. I can't do it! I CAN'T DO IT! HYUNG!!"

 

"YOU CAN! But not now Jimin. It takes time, you knew it!" 

 

"It's been more than six months hyung! Even if you cut me on my legs, I can't feel them!" 

 

Hoseok had no idea why Jimin acted this way all of a sudden. Wasn't Jimin getting better already? What happened? Hoseok is extremely puzzled. 

 

Jimin suddenly let out an eerie laugh. "I guess I am as good as dead. Hyung, you should just leave. You don't need to pity me you know? Why waste your time on me, hyung? You should be enjoying your life, college, get yourself a girlfriend, you know. Don't spend your precious youth caring for a hopeless piece of . I should have just died that day, it would be great if you just left me on that .." Before Jimin could finish his sentence, Hoseok slapped Jimin hard across his face, so hard, his hand turned red and numb and Jimin was shocked with eyes wide opened. There was a moment of silence, everyone was holding their breath. Then, Hoseok stood up, pushing through the others crowding the room door, headed down the hallway for the main door, slamming it shut behind him and left the house.