Happy Birthday

Mending Our Hearts

"Hello? Jungkook-ah? How are you doing? Everything fine?" Jungkook finally returned a call (landline) after one week being at Seokjin's, away from home.

 

"Great!"

 

"Good to hear that. When are you planning to come back? I know you are allowed to take a break from school and return the next term but you will be missing your hospital appointments too."

 

"Aunty. Just one more week. Please." Jungkook trying to beg his aunt to let him stay.

 

Jungkook was grateful that Seokjin kept his promise, a little begging and  'agyeo' and he is allowed to stay another week. He knows his aunt has a weak heart for him, he feels a little guilty using her weakness that way but he does not want to go back yet. 

 

"You are skipping school?" Jimin asked as Jungkook ended the call.

 

"Technically, No. I got permission." Jungkook let out a cheeky grin.

 

"That's still playing hooky to me." Jimin laugh and Jungkook shrugged.

 

"You don't have a phone?" Jimin asked.

 

"Used to. But not anymore." Jungkook replied while turning on the TV.

 

"Why?"

 

"Just. I couldn't. Panic attack happens when I use it."

 

"Oh. I see." Jimin wheeled himself nearer to the couch where Jungkook sat. Both watching some variety shows when Seokjin walked into the living room towards the duo.

 

"Guys. I have a favor to ask."

 

"What is it hyung?" Jungkook asked.

 

Trying to lower his voice, Seokjin gave a quick glance at his surrounding before he started. "Today is Taehyung's birthday, and we are planning a little surprise for him."

 

Both Jimin and Jungkook's eyes widen and sparkled with interest. "So here is the plan, both of you and Hoseok is going to take a walk with Taehyung. There is a park just down the street, you guys can have some fun over there, drag the time a little while myself, Namjoon and Yoongi set up for the surprise."

 

"What kind of surprise?" Jungkook is extremely curious now.

 

"Well... cake, dinner? You'll see." Seokjin smiled at Jungkook's enthusiasm. "So you guys alright with the plan?" Both Jungkook and Jimin nodded innocently.

 

"Great!"

 

***************

 

3, 2, 1 Action!

 

"Guys. Where are you going?" Seokjin asked from the kitchen while Hoseok pushing Jimin in his wheelchair towards the door and Jungkook putting on his jacket and sneakers. Taehyung is sitting on the couch.

 

"We are going to the park!" Jungkook sounding excited.

 

"Wow. Nice. Hmmm... maybe Taehyung could join you guys too." Seokjin looking over to check for Taehyung's reaction. No reaction yet.

 

"Taehyung-ah!" Taehyung turned to Seokjin. Yes! He is looking now. Seokjin clears his throat a little, trying to act natural. "Taehyung-ah, do you want to go to the park with them? Have some fun or fresh air? You need some vitamin D." Taehyung wasn't really into the idea but others are looking at him now, even Jimin on his wheelchair too. Taehyung reluctantly nodded. Taehyung is responding a little more towards everyone now, better than the first day they met. Seokjin is really happy with the improvement.

 

 

"Taehyung-hyung, how long have you been staying with Seokjin hyung?" Jungkook asked, as the group of four walked down the street.

 

"More than 2 months." Taehyung typed on his phone. The three other boys are really excited that Taehyung actually replied Jungkook's question. It's a great day.

 

"Wow. That's nice. Seokjin hyung is really kind."

 

 

It took them just minutes to reach the park. Like Seokjin said, it's really near to their place.

 

"This park is huge! I didn't even realize there was a park around here." Hoseok was amazed to find such a nice park in the neighborhood.

 

"Guys! Look! There's even a lake here. Wow." It's not a huge lake per se, probably even a manmade one but it still amazes the boys. They walked around the park, Jungkook picking up leaves, rocks, branches and even tiny bugs that almost scare Jimin out of his wheelchair and Hoseok nearly jumped for the lake, screaming and running away from Jungkook.

 

There's a playground too inside of the park. There are exercise facilities, swings, and slides for children. Maybe for adults too.

 

Jungkook and Taehyung went for the swing once they spotted the swing seats' empty.

 

"Hyung. Can I try that?" Jimin pointing at the bars people used for exercising.

 

"That one?" Hoseok was surprised and need to confirm with Jimin again to make sure he heard him right. "Yes. That one." The bars that Jimin intended to try on was horizontal bars, the lowest one. Jimin wants to try getting up from his wheelchair.

 

"You sure about that?" Hoseok is doubtful if Jimin has the upper torso strength to support himself up yet. Nonetheless, he was there with him, nothing could really go wrong. Hoseok will just need to keep an eye on Jimin just in case. The height of the bar barely even reaches Hoseok's chest, it's just slightly over Jimin's head as he sat in his wheelchair.

 

"Alright. If you're sure about it." Hoseok wheeled Jimin towards the bar. Taking in a deep breath, Jimin lifted his arms, grabbing hold of the bar and tried to push himself up. Hoseok could see Jimin's hands shaking and his face going red and veins on his neck starts to show. Jimin is struggling but working really hard on trying. Jimin failed several times before finally lifting himself up a little, holding on to the metal bar for dear life, Jimin's feet touches the ground for the very first time without anyone's help. He still couldn't feel his legs but knowing he did that by himself even if it is just for a few seconds is more than happy for Jimin. Jimin beamed at Hoseok.

 

"Hey hyung. Want a lollipop?" Jungkook pulled out two lollipops from his pocket and gave one to Taehyung.

 

Taehyung stares at the lollipop in his palm and kept it in his pocket.

 

"Aren't you gonna eat it?" Jungkook on his lollipop and swings back and forth, enjoying the wind created from the momentum.

 

Taehyung signed something to Jungkook, and Jungkook is pretty sure it meant 'later' or something similar. Jungkook continues going back and forth.

 

They dragged on for a long time in the park, so that the others have time to prepare for Taehyung's big day.

 

"We are going back, guys. Coming?" Hoseok calls out, it seems Jimin is a little exhausted from all the exercise he is doing.

 

"You guys can head back. I'll come later." Jungkook still not finished with his swing. Hoseok is not going to leave just one of them there and so both Jungkook and Taehyung stayed for a little longer. It's also a good thing, the longer Taehyung is out, the more time for the others.

 

"Alright! Don't be too late. Call us if anything. Be careful."

 

"Sure hyung!"

 

Another half an hour went by. Now Jungkook is done. "Hyung let's go back."

But this time Taehyung didn't seem to want to leave as of yet. Taehyung typed.

 

"You go. I'll catch up. I'll have another 10 minutes." Jungkook didn't think it was anything unusual, plus, the park is just a few minutes walk away. "Ok. See you in a bit." Jungkook hops off from his swing in a jolly mood and headed back.

 

When Jungkook is out of sight, Taehyung stood up and left. Taehyung is walking further down the street instead of heading back home, arriving at a convenient store. Taehyung enters, took a chocolate bar and paid at the counter with a few coins he had with him, turning towards the door after paying.

 

"Hold your horses kid!" Taehyung froze.

 

"I don't think you have done paying for everything in your pockets yet."

 

 

*********

 

 

"Where's Taehyung?" The sky is getting dark yet Taehyung is not back. Seokjin is searching for Taehyung in the house. "Jungkook! Didn't you say Taehyung will be back in 10 minutes?" Jungkook checked the clock, it has been way overdue and Taehyung is not back yet. Jungkook starts to panic. "I-I thought he will follow just behind me. I didn't... I..."

 

"Don't worry Jungkook. I'll go find him." Seokjin grabs his jacket and went out. Taehyung is nowhere to be seen in the park, now almost empty. Taehyung is not answering his phone either. Seokjin might look calm but he is panicking inside. , Tae where are you?

 

Seokjin searched further down the street and a group of onlookers surrounding something in front of a convenient store caught Seokjin's attention. Seokjin moves closer to the crowd.

 

"Kid! Did you just cursed at me! You gestured something bad at me didn't you!"

 

"If I can't call your parents, I'll just call the police then. You lil' thief!" The shop owner is holding onto Taehyungs collar, then to Seokjin's horror, Taehyung was being slapped across the face.

 

"Stop! What are you doing!" Seokjin ran and stood between Taehyung and the angry shop owner. "What are you?! Get out of my way!"

 

"I'm his brother! How dare you slap my brother!" Seokjin almost ready for a fist fight.

 

"Nice! So you are here. Your lil' thief brother over here stole my goods. A pack of candy and a lollipop and he thinks I don't know he sneaked it up his sleeves?" The shop owner spat. Taehyung signed something and Seokjin turned to him.

 

"Cursing at me again you brat!"

 

"He is not cursing at you! He said he only took the candy and not the lollipop!"

 

"How would I know if he is telling the truth. He is a liar for stealing anyways!"

 

"I'll pay for the candy double or even triple the price! But you need to apologize for slapping him! That's assault!" Seokjin held firm his grounds.

 

"Taehyung! Apologize now!" Taehyung refused but Seokjin forced him, pressing his head down to a bow. Upon bowing, Taehyung got up pushed through the crowd and ran. Seokjin threw more notes on the shop owners face than the price of a whole box of candy and ran after Taehyung.

 

Taehyung did not slow down, running further down the street. Seokjin is having a hard time catching up with the teen. That boy sure can run! Seokjin was out of breath.

 

"KIM TAEHYUNG!!" Seokjin shouted.

 

"Kim Taehyung! You stop right there! Taehyung halted.

 

"Face me! Don't you dare run!" Seokjin commanded, sounding angry.

 

After a few seconds of contemplation, Taehyung turned his back to face Seokjin, eyes looking elsewhere.

 

"Look at me!" Taehyung rolled his eyes in annoyance before staring straight into Seokjin.

 

"What do you think you are doing Tae?" Seokjin speaks as he walks towards Taehyung and grab the boy's shoulders and gave him a nudge. "What have you done?! Stealing?!" Seokjin's voice was shaking but it didn't sound angry anymore but rather desperate and frustrated. "Do I not give you enough pocket money? Why Tae? Tell me!"

 

Taehyung is staring into somewhere else again not focusing. "I said look at me!" Seokjin gave Taehyung another nudge. Taehyung slightly pushed Seokjin's firm grip on his shoulders away and took a step back, then he signed.

 

"Don't you hate me? Don't you want to scold me? Do it! Beat me! Yell at me!"

 

"W-what?" Seokjin wasn't expecting Taehyung to say that. "No! Why would I hate you?"

 

"Just tell me I am bad. Please!" Seokjin could see Taehyung's eyes are getting red and tears welled up eager to fall.

 

"No Tae. It's not like that." Seokjin is confused where is this conversation headed to. Did he read Taehyung's sign language right?

 

"I am bad. I am. Tell me hyung." Taehyung now kneeling on the ground, tears falling, darkening patches of dry dirt on the ground.

 

"Oh no, Tae. No." Seokjin tried to get Taehyung to stand but he refuses to budge. Taehyung lifted his head and looked up at Seokjin.

 

"I-I miss her."

 

Seokjin stared at Taehyung, knowing very well what he meant.

 

"I don't know. I thought maybe if I did something bad, she would come scold me like she used to be. Smack me hard, yell at me...  I know I am stupid to think that."

 

"I just wanted to hear her voice one more time. Just one more." Taehyung is choking at his own hysterical sob, gesturing with shaking hands.

 

"I'm sorry hyung."

 

"Stand up Tae. It's ok." Taehyung's legs almost gave way but Seokjin held Taehyung's arms, stabling him, brushing off the dirt from Taehyung's pants. Seokjin then took hold of Taehyung's hand into his like how mothers would do.

 

"Let's go home."

 

Seokjin shot all the others a 'Not now' look, shaking his head slightly as Taehyung went straight to his bedroom when they finally returned. The celebration was called off that night.

 

 

***************

 

 

Someone is touching him. Taehyung felt something soft brushed across his face. Then warm breaths were felt on his skin, followed by something ticklish and ... wet. What's this sensation? Taehyung tried to open his eyes, the moment he opened them, a black figure appeared in front of him, he jumped almost falling off his bed. He quickly turned and make sure what he saw again. Now he sees it clearly.

 

 A black puppy.

 

Sticking out its tongue and wiggling its tail. For a moment, Taehyung was frozen. How on earth is there a puppy in his bedroom? Then he moved forward and slowly stretched out his hands to touch it. Fingers running through the soft fur of the puppy. It felt so fluffy, so warm. Taehyung didn't even notice he had let a smile slipped through his lips.

 

"Do you like it Tae?" Seokjin is standing at the door. Beaming.

 

"Happy Birthday."