Nothing Like Us

Mending Our Hearts

Seokjin is jealous. He is jealous of a dog. Yes, you've heard it right. A dog. Poor Seokjin is lonely because six other people in his house are busy spending time with Taehyung's new puppy. Taehyung named it 'Yeontan'  (Coal briquettes) because of its gradient black fur. But jokes aside, Seokjin is really happy to see Taehyung smiling a lot more these days, the atmosphere in the house seems much more livelier too with the puppy around. Seokjin did a lot of research on Taehyung's case, reading through tons of books and articles and discussion with Taehyung's therapist. It's not easy, in fact, it's not even guaranteed if Taehyung will ever be able to speak again, but Seokjin felt the need to try for Taehyung's sake, or else no one would. The puppy was an idea he'd gotten when he read through a book by Rebecca A. Reynolds on Animals as Intermediaries, named 'Bring me the ocean', depicting real-life cases that people start speaking again after their interaction with animals. Seokjin knew he had to give it a try. So far Seokjin is happy with the results, but it all takes time. 

 

 

*************

 

 

With a red pen in hand, a phone indicating 23% battery life, a sandwich clenched between his teeth, and a newspaper job classified section filled with red bold 'Xs' and circles, Yoongi sigh deeply as he sat on a bench in a subway platform. Seoul is no better than his hometown, job searching was hard, in actual fact even harder and more competitive in the big metropolitan. Papers, qualifications, language abilities, soft skills, special field experience, etc, all the flowery things that employers require of a 'perfect' employee, however, Yoongi has none of those. He has worked a lot of different odd jobs in the past, but they don't count, the only thing he is good at is music, even that, he is technically not qualified. Passion and undocumented talents don't count.

 

"Hello sir, do you have a qualification in music education? A degree or diploma is music?" 

 

"No."

 

Yoongi capped his red pen, folded his newspaper and closed his eyes, trying to push away the dull pain in his temple. The subway is buzzing with people, all too busy and occupied with life that no one even pays attention to a soft melody that subtly fills the subway platform like a background music to the endless buzz of footsteps. Yoongi heard it loud and clear. He opens his eyes, turning left and right to find the source of the music. Yoongi got up from his bench without even realizing, almost like children being lured by the sound of the pied piper's magic pipe in the famous legend story. Yoongi walked to a corner and found a man playing the violin, he is a busker. There are only a handful of people actually listening to the performance but the audience did generously donate or tip the busker. Yoongi stood there for almost half an hour listening to the performance, memories and flashbacks run through his head, happy ones, sad ones, Yena. 

 

Yoongi only has a few bucks in his pocket, but he generously gave it to the performer which to his surprise, the busker refused to take as he packed up his musical equipment before he left. 

 

"I don't take money from people that truly understands music." Weird enough, that was what the busker answered when he refuses Yoongi's tip. As Yoongi headed back to Seokjin's place, his weird encounter continues to linger in his mind. Most people might tip a busker either out of benevolent motive or just a general feeling that the busker is talented and should be rewarded, but Yoongi could somewhat understand that music is just like a story, a message, a testimonial, a person's life in the format of melodic notes or lyrical word depiction and that's not equated to any monetary value. The busker no doubt makes money out of his performance because he needs to survive too but in all honesty, he might just want to tell his story and he is brave enough to do so. Can Yoongi still tell his story? Is his story even worth telling? 

 

"Yoongi hyung! You are back!" Jungkook is getting clingier by the day towards Yoongi ever since he took care of him during his breakdown on that stormy morning. Yoongi is not the affectionate type of guy, a little more reserved, even though Jungkook's affection could be a little too much at times but Yoongi would not deny he did enjoy the younger's company a lot more than he thinks he would. 

 

"Oh hi there Kookie." Yoongi tried his best to force a smile for Jungkook, not wanting the younger to think otherwise. Yoongi's head is still throbbing with a dull pain and he is exhausted from his job hunting. 

 

"Did you get a job today?" As innocent as Jungkook could be. 

 

"Well. Not yet." Yoongi tried to sound casual. "I'll go take a bath." Yoongi raised his voice a little, just so that others heard him as he went through the hallway. 

 

After dinner and some bonding activities together with the others, Yoongi went into his room, shut the door, his guitar bag, taking out his guitar and pulled out his music score journal. Yoongi took in a deep breath and flipped to a new empty page with clean rows of lines waiting to be filled with music notes. He tries to strum a few random chord patterns to get himself into the mood, then closing his eyes to feel the lingering echo of the key he played. Nothing came. Hours went by, still nothing, his page still clean and empty. It's now deep into the night, he had tried writing something but all ended up being tore, scrunched and tossed away. Some ended in the trash bin, some around it on the floor. 

 

Yoongi desperately wanting to get something out. Perhaps, a little too desperate. Yoongi lay his head on top of his empty page on the desk, tears start to fall, dampening and wrinkling the paper beneath. It's frustrating, one second you feel you are all better and hopeful, the next you are back to square one, is this what people called 'depression'? Yoongi wasn't even sure what is he thinking right now, he just felt useless. He remembered the day he sang in front of the others, it felt great, as great as a mirage could be. All placebo. 

 

"Yoongi hyung? You alright?" Namjoon was walking to get a cup of water from the kitchen when he notices Yoongi was sitting outside on the veranda smoking a cigarette all by himself in the middle of the night. 

 

"Ye-yeah. I'm fine. Just insomnia." Namjoon now sat beside Yoongi drinking his cup of water, both looking into the little garden and listening to the sound of cicada filling the silent night. "I heard music from your room."

 

"Oh, did I wake you up?" 

 

"No no. Actually, your music. It was nice." 

 

"Nah. Those aren't even fit for a song. Just...just trash."

 

"But I really think those were great." Namjoon is sincere. Yoongi just smiled, though a little bitterly. 

 

"Hyung. You should really sing, do music. I really can't tell how much you've inspired me that day when you sang for us."

 

"It's not that easy Namjoon." 

 

"You aren't giving up aren't you?" There was a moment of silence. Music is Yoongi's passion, but then there are countless times he wanted to give up. Every time it was saved by Yena, but now only by his own weak will, he is not so sure anymore. 

 

He is always counting on Yena to save him, to pull him back up from his slump, now he is like a baby eagle being pushed off a cliff to learn how to fly on its own, but the only difference is there is no more safety net that he could depend on anymore. If he fails, he dies. 

 

"I don't know." Yoongi replied. 

 

 

*************

 

 

"Yoongi hyung!" Jungkook is standing at Yoongi's room door as happy as always, smiling brightly as if there's no one bit of evil in this world. 

 

"Can I come in?" 

 

"Sure."

 

Jungkook sat on Yoongi's bed, almost bouncing on the spring of the bed. It's a bed, not a trampoline! Yoongi almost wanted to stop Jungkook. 

 

"What're you doing?" 

 

"Nothing, just writing some stuff." Jungkook was obviously peeping over Yoongi's desk to see what he is doing and replied with an 'o' shaped mouth before retreating toward the bed. 

 

"Hyung. Can you teach me how to play the guitar?" 

 

"W-What? No."

 

"Pleaseeeeeee.?" Yoongi hates this. He had fallen for Jungkook's trick the last time and he is determined not to fall for it again. Jungkook's 'agyeo' is poisonous and deadly. Must avoid. 

 

Approximately 16 minutes and 9 seconds later. Min Yoongi is dead. 

 

"Just ONE song. No more!" Yoongi glared at Jungkook.

 

"YES SIR!" 

 

"So, what song do you want to learn?" Yoongi now positioning and tuning his guitar.

 

"Erm...  Justin Bieber, Nothing like us?" 

 

"Huh? You have some crazy taste for music kid." Yoongi laughed. The song wasn't too hard a song. The chords are easy and repetitive, probably just one or two chords a little harder for first timers but it was an alright song to try out. To Yoongi's surprise, Jungkook is a fast learner, he picked up faster than he had expected him to. That night, Jungkook was already able to play the song rather smoothly. Yoongi was even considering if Jungkook was a genius in disguise. What more surprising is how well the boy can sing. Jungkook sang the song in the living room with Yoongi's guitar and everyone's jaw dropped. 

 

"Oh my god! Jungkook, that was amazing!" Hoseok can't stop staring at the boy.

 

"Seriously. Yoongi, Jungkook. Both of you should just perform already, just go busking or whatever! You guys need a stage!" Namjoon was also sincere this time and others are nodding violently in agreement. 

 

And just so, Namjoon's idea became a reality. Not long after that night, seven of them are gathered at Hongdae, with Yoongi holding his guitar and Jungkook holding a mic. Panicking.