Mayday

Mending Our Hearts


14 hours before impact:


"Oppa! Why are you not packing your bags? Aren't you excited? " Jungkook's little sister is overly hyped about tomorrow's trip to Seoul and it was her first time to be on a plane, even though it is just a one-hour domestic flight. Jungkook shrugged at her energy, wondering how much candy the 7-year-old ate after dinner while trying to focus on his PS4 games.

"Dami, could you stop for a moment?! You are disturbing me." Dami jumping in front of the TV screen blocking off Jungkook's aim with his rifle in a combat game. Dami is so into her jolly imagination about the family trip to Seoul that she totally ignored her brother. Jungkook's father smiled looking at their little daughter's happy dance while trying to finish off his work so that he could spend the weekend peacefully with his family on their short getaway.

"Mom!!! Dami is disturbing me! Could you just get her out of the way?!" Jungkook clearly annoyed.

"Dami! Stop jumping in front of your brother! Go wash up, is time for bed. You don't want to miss the flight." Jungkook's mother shooed little Dami to wash up for bed, after tucking Dami into bed, his mother turns to Jungkook: "Jungkook-ah, you better stop your game and pack your bags, it's getting late." Reluctantly, Jungkook turned off his games and proceed to pack his luggage bag and head to bed.

It's not Jungkook's first time to be on a plane, so it does not excite him as much as it did to Dami, however, he does look forward to the trip, it's been a while since his busy dad has actually planned a family trip. He would love to take loads of pictures of their trip just to boast it to his classmates.

 

*********************************************************************************

 

"Hwijoon-ah! Kim Hwijoon!"

"Yes?Hyung?"

"Erm... Did you see my passport?"

"OMG...Hyung! Not again!" Hwijoon wasn't trying to sound annoyed or be rude to his elder brother Namjoon but it was like the 3rd time Namjoon seems to misplace his passport ever since they arrived in Korea for their brotherly backpacking trip. The brothers are planning to take a flight back to Seoul from Busan and probably stay a few more days before they travel back to the US. So far, their trip had been amazing without a hitch, only a few times Hwijoon is close to having a heart attack that they might need to go to the US embassy because Namjoon misplaced his passport.

"Oh...I found it!" Namjoon exclaim with joy.

"See... I should have known." Hwijoon is just so done with his clumsy brother.

 

*********************************************************************************

 

11 hours before impact:

 

Jimin: Hey hyung. Asleep yet?

 

 

Hoseok: Nope. Why?

 

 

Jimin: Can't sleep.

 

 

 Hoseok: LOL. Nervous?

 

 

Jimin: Ya.

Jimin: Do you think we can make it through the first round?

 

                                                     

 Hoseok: Have confidence! We have been practicing for months!

 

 

Jimin: I know. Just ....

 

 

Hoseok: C'mon Minnie. You are a dancer! You have been dancing for years now. You've got skills. You just need to show them what you've got.

 

 

Jimin: Thanks hyung.

 

 

Hoseok: We're in this together, our dance crew is the best! Have faith!

Hoseok: Sleep early, we have a flight to catch!

 

 

Jimin: Sure. Good night hyung!

 

 

Hoseok: Good night Jiminnie!

 

*********************************************************************************

 

"Mom! I'm not going to Seoul!" Taehyung shouted.

"What do you mean you are not going? Didn't we agreed?." Taehyung's mother was in shock.

"Please, mom. Must we really do this?" Taehyung almost on his knees pleading as his eyes start to tear up.

"Taehyung honey. Mommy is really sorry that things turned out this way, I know you have been very upset ever since me and your dad go our separate ways and I know how much you will miss your friends. But could you just try for once to be in mommy's shoes? Your dad didn't want to care about us anymore and we need to live. It's fortunate that I got a job call in Seoul and it will also be better for your education over there." Taehyung's mom also begins to sob.

"Mom. I...I really..." Before Taehyung could say further, his mother pulled Taehyung into a tight hug, and Taehyung started crying into his mother's embrace.

"We need to be strong, baby. Just for now, I promise we will come back when things get better."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"I love you mom."

"I love you too."

 

*********************************************************************************

 

4 hours before impact: 


"Wake up! For goodness sake! When did you sleep last night Yoongi? Didn't I told you to sleep early last night?" Yoongi still in his deep slumber was woken up by his girlfriend's violent shaking. Yena, pulling up all the blinds from Yoongi's bedroom windows allowing the soft sunlight of the morning to penetrate the dark bedroom that almost never sees daylight throughout the year.

"Mmmmnn" Yoongi mumbling under his breath, slightly irritated by the bright light that could be seen even through his tightly shut eyelids.

"C'mon we are late!" Yena giving a last and forceful yank on Yoongi's , almost causing him to fall off his bed.

"Alright.Alright! Am up! Am up." Yoongi jumped up in surrender to his girlfriend's aggressive morning wake-up call and moves swiftly into his bathroom to get ready.

"I'm giving you 10 minutes, I'll be waiting in the parking lot. I've got your guitar and bags." Yena lifted her voice to notify Yoongi while she drags all the luggage out of the apartment. Yena might be misunderstood as a dominant person but to Yoongi she is the kindest and sweetest girl he could ever get in his life. Yena came into his life when he was at his lowest and never left him even when everyone else did. She was the inspiration of his music and the inspiration of his life.

Yoongi is anxious about his trip down to Seoul because of an arranged audition and contract that very well could be the turning point of his life if things worked out as expected. Yena knew how much Yoongi wanted this opportunity and how much doubt sometimes Yoongi had in himself thus she brought upon herself to cheer and support Yoongi. Yoongi is grateful to have Yena by his side. 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

3 hours before impact: 


"Hey Jihwan, where are you?" Seokjin was staring at his watch waiting for his college buddy to show up at the airport, slightly worried his friend might not catch the flight back to Seoul for their new semester.

"Chill man, I am already in the Airport. Coming in a bit."

"You better be. Else, I'll just have two seats for myself."  Seokjin slightly relieved.

"You worry too much man, there's still time." Jihwan was laughing over on the other end of the phone.

"We need to check in the luggage you know." Seokjin's motherly instinct is causing Jihwan to crack up even more making Seokjin's eyes roll in annoyance, though never in a bad way, Jihwan was Seokjin's best friend even during high school, going to the same college in Seoul made them even closer, almost inseparable.

"Hey you worry nerd !!" watching Seokjin standing alone at the waiting lobby rather miserably, Jihwan couldn't help it but sneak up behind Seokjin and had his arms around his friend's shoulders almost doing a headlock, making Seokjin flinch and almost choke at his friend's sudden attack.

"Oh fu..."

"Jin-ah.. did you just cursed?" Jihwan was almost rolling on the floor laughing.

"Would love to." Seokjin was pissed for a moment but then he too couldn't stop laughing at the whole silly scene. They have always been a weird combination, almost the opposite poles of the personality spectrum. However, like magnets, their friendship is strong, clicking in the most peculiar way.

 

*********************************************************************************

 

40 minutes before impact:

 

"Oppa! Look! I can see the wings of the plane from my window! Oppa! Look!" Dami just could not contain her excitement, however, Jungkook who was more absorbed in his phone app game could not be bothered.

"Jungkook-ah. You better put that phone of yours away and switch it off, it will affect the take-off of the plane." Jungkook's father reminded his son. 

"Yes, Dad." Jungkook answered almost robotic, eyes still glued to his phone screen while he goes on with his game.

"Oppa! Look! Look!" Dami now pulling Jungkook's sleeves to gain his attention, wanting to show him her new discoveries.

"Shut up Dami! Stop it!" Jungkook snapped. Slightly taken aback, Dami let go of her brother's sleeves and sat back into her seat, pouting and sadden but the bad emotions were instantly forgotten when she saw a bird standing on the wings of the plane just outside of her window seat, fascinated. Dami could not stop smiling the whole morning. Both her parents laughing over their daughter's expression. 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

"Man! aisle again?" Seokjin let out a sigh. 

"Thought you knew when I bought the tickets. Sorry, pal." Jihwan chuckle at Seokjin's annoyed face. 

"I'll switch with you after take off. Okay?" Jihwan trying to make up a little to his irritated friend for not checking the seats properly when he purchased them online. Seokjin had mentioned before his dislike of an aisle seat, his introverted personality makes him uncomfortable when people are constantly walking past his seat and the emptiness and the feeling of being exposed it give him, something that the extroverted Jihwan don't even care. Thus it's never a big deal for Jihwan to take the aisle seat, in fact, he might even get a better chance to flirt with beautiful air stewardess on the flight.  

 

*********************************************************************************

 

"Taehyung-ah, are you alright?" His mother looking at her son seated by her side being extra silent the whole morning. 

"Yeah." Taehyung still can't get his mind off the fact he is going to leave the place he once called home, the happy memories of his once perfect family, his gang of buddies at school, his neighbours; but then he remembered how much that place also reminded him of the days his parents would shout at each other, beer bottles flying across the living room shattering their TV and mirrors, how his mother would cry alone in her room and how his dad would not talk to him and eventually never came back. It's a mess in his head, he is just so caught up in all the conflicting emotions he has. His mother seems to understand what is going on with him, silently, Taehyung felt his mother's hand hold his hands and squeezes them softly, reassuring that they have made a right decision and the future ahead will be a brighter one. 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

"Hyung, I'm still afraid about the turning part and the 3rd transition part of our choreo." Jimin seated beside Hoseok was constantly questioning his own abilities.

"Jimin, look here, I want you to stop thinking of our choreo for once, just relax. You've done enough practice!" Hoseok trying his best to assure Jimin that he had nothing to be worried about.

"I'm just afraid that I might mess up and let the whole team down." Jimin still extremely nervous about his dance competition tomorrow in Seoul.

"You've said it, it's a team thing, not just you. We are all in this as ONE. Stop thinking that you would let everyone down. It will not happen!OK?!" 

"o..okay..." Jimin is a great dancer but the huge hurdle that he always had with him was his self-confidence, it took Hoseok almost a whole year to convince Jimin that he is capable of dancing and should join their dance crew. Hoseok did not want Jimin to back out last minute, not after he had put in so much effort, Jimin has the potential. Hoseok just wanted to see Jimin come out of his shell and shine. 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

"Phone?"

"Check."

"Wallet?"

"Check."

"Passport?"

"Hold on.....................................CHECK!" Hwijoon almost had another heart attack with his brother as Namjoon holding his passport turning towards Hwijoon beside him beaming like a silly idiot. 

"Hyung. Seriously. One more time I am going to just leave you here." 

"Sorry dude." Namjoon smiling brightly, showing his dimples, although slightly apologetic. 

It is almost their yearly ritual that the Kim brothers would spend some time traveling the world together. They love exploring new places, and this year they finally made up their mind to visit the home country of there ancestors. 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

"Hey Yena, I think I... ermm..." Yoongi clutching tightly to the handles of his seat, seemingly uncomfortable.

"Yoongi. Seriously? We have not even left the ground yet!" Yena was in shock that Yoongi's acrophobia was this serious. Half laughing at how afraid Yoongi was, Yena moves slightly over to Yoongi's side and gave him a peck on his forehead and smiled, though Yoongi was terrified, Yena's little moves does bring peace to him and magically comforting him, soothing his fear. 

"You better don't puke on me later, here is your paper bag." Yena waving the paper bag in her hands teasing Yoongi. 

"It'll be ok silly." Yena assured Yoongi. Yoongi finds himself falling even deeper for this girl. 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

30 minutes before impact:

 

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome on board flight KZ108. This is your Captain speaking. ...." 

 

After the safety demonstration that only got Dami excited. The plane took off. 

 

********************************************************************************* 

 

15 minutes before impact: 

 

"Hyung. Did you smell something?" Jimin sniffing into the air around him.

"What?" Hoseok was reading.

"Smell, hyung. Doesn't it smell like something burning?" Jimin still sniffing. 

"What smell?" Hoseok wasn't paying attention. 

Just as Hoseok is trying to register what smell was Jimin talking about, they saw a few air stewardess with troubled expression walking rapidly past their seats towards the direction of the cockpit way in front of the aircraft. It was slightly weird, both Jimin and Hoseok thinking to themselves, is there something wrong?

The smell is getting stronger, now even some other passengers started to notice it. Noises of whispering and talking start to fill the deck. 

 

"Honey? Is there something wrong?" Jungkook's mom getting slightly worried asked her husband but receive no affirmation. Nobody knows what is going on. 

 

"Jihwan, wake up!" 

"Urgh...what?" Seokjin shaking Jihwan to wake him up.

"Something is not right." 

"What?" Jihwan still blur from his sleep.

 

Just as everyone was questioning either the smell or the abnormal behavior of the cabin crew. The seatbelt lights went on. And then a strong jolt across the aircraft was felt. It is getting alarming. But just as everyone trying to be optimistic assuming that it was just turbulence, another strong jolt was felt. 

 

"Dami!Jungkook!Put on your seatbelts!" Jungkook's mother ordered.

"But why mom? What's going on?" Jungkook stopped his game and realized the tense atmosphere. 

"I'm scared mom." Dami almost crying.

"Shh...is ok dear. Don't worry." Jungkook's dad trying to calm the little one down. 

 

"You ok?" Yena was extremely concerned as Yoongi kept throwing up and the unsettling atmosphere in the plane.

"I'm fine." Yoongi tried to take deep breaths to stop his urge to puke. 

 

"Taehyung-ah, put this on." Taehyung's mother following the instructions pulled over Taehyung's seatbelt and strapped it firmly onto his son. 

"Mom. What happened?"

"I don't know. Let's just put this on. I'm sure they will announce." 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

10 minutes before impact: 

 

Sure enough. Not long after the seatbelt lights came on, there was an announcement and it wasn't a clear one. The only information they got was there are some technical difficulties and the passengers are required to remain seated. 

 

Then, 

 

"MOM!!!! FIRE!!!!" Dami and Jungkook yelled as they saw sparks and smoke coming out from under one of the wings just outside of their window. Before they even finished their words, screams and shouting erupted inside the plane, many have seen the fire from their windows.

 

The announcement came on again, the Captain announcing in a shaking voice that they are going to do an emergency landing and everyone on board are to take cover. The situation inside is chaotic, screaming, yelling, crying can be heard from every direction. The sound of prayers filled the air. It was supposed to be just a short one-hour domestic flight, what on earth is this?

 

*********************************************************************************

 

5 minutes before impact:

 

A strong jolt causing everyone that isn't properly strapped down to be thrown out of their seats, the oxygen mask from the ceiling was ejected down, the lights start to flicker, emergency alarm went off. The next minute, the aircraft starts to dip and plunge, the plane is shaking and spinning so much no one is actually sure where is the ground and where is the direction of the sky anymore. 

 

 

"Mayday!Mayday!..." 

 

 

Sound muffled. Then it was silence. Darkness.