From the Ashes

Mending Our Hearts

A slight inhale of air choked Hoseok, coughing out what seem to be dust and dirt in his throat, jerking his still strapped down body causing a sudden sharp pain across his chest and his abdomen where the seatbelt seems to have grazed through his skin, awakening all his sensory receptors. The pungent smell of kerosene and smoke fills his nostrils, choking him awake yet again. There was a throbbing pain in his head and his eyelids are heavy, but a sudden wave of fear run through his spine when he starts to push himself to open his eyes. Hoseok had no idea how long that he was out, opening his eyes to only realize the predicament he is in.

 

Hoseok is still strapped to his seat, there was no sound, though he is not sure if it is just him or is it really that silent. nothing is moving beside the constantly oozing smoke that seems like angry dark clouds approximately 40 feet in front of him and visible dust particles floating in the air.Hoseok's vision is blurry and it was dark, the only lights are the daylight that managed to shine through the windows, however, he is pretty sure there was a huge opening around the 40 feet mark in front of him because there is where the strongest light comes from. Did the plane just snap into half upon impact? Hoseok was too afraid to even think about anything logic at the moment, nothing seems to make sense. Then another sharp pain spread across his chest, this time trying to move his limbs to reach for his chest. After the pain started to fade into a dull sting, Hoseok realized something was missing.

 

'Jimin! Where is Jimin?!'


Hoseok starts to panic, turning to the seat beside him that once belonged to his dear friend, it was empty.


'NO! This can't be!' 

 

Hoseok was horrified, he tried to free himself from his seat to search for Jimin, aiming for the aisle from his middle seat he tripped on something, causing him to fall to the ground. Much to his horror, he finds himself tripping over Jimin's body, now face down lifeless on the aisle walkway.

 

"JIMIN!"

 

Hoseok shouted while trying to position Jimin and check on him. Tears were spilling out of Hoseok's eyes as if the dam just broke after he finally discovers a faint pulse on Jimin.

 

"Wake up! Jimin! Wake up! Please!" Hoseok desperately trying to wake his friend. But Jimin remained unconscious. Hoseok was so lost he did not know what to do, he wanted to reach his phone from his pocket but it was no longer there. In a panic, Hoseok stood up from his initial kneeling position beside Jimin only to hear a very soft cry from a distant corner in front of him. Without realizing, Hoseok was advancing forward to where he presumed was the source of the soft crying voice. Walking past dead bodies of people that were once smiling and alive with him just some time ago, Hoseok started to throw up, a dizzy spell overpowered him and he stumbled. His head is spinning but he tries to regain his control and push forward, finally reaching where he thought he heard the cry. It was all rubble in front of him, and there was the cry again. Hoseok pushed the rubble away with his bare hands, digging through pieces of fallen boards, plastic, and other materials to find a teenage boy and a little girl still strapped in their seats. The girl was pale and not moving while the boy is bleeding heavily from his head, the boy opened his eyes slightly to find Hoseok standing in front of him.

 

"h..help..." That was the softest audible word Hoseok has ever heard, almost not catching it. Before Hoseok knew it, his hand has already begun to unstrapped the two child and releasing them from the rubble as they are pretty much stuck and buried under. Hoseok held the boy and the girl one at a time with all his might and carried them towards the walkway where Jimin was still lying unconscious. Staring at the boy barely keeping himself conscious from his head injury while grabbing tightly to his sister's motionless body and back to Jimin. Hoseok could not help but break down in tears. It was a mess and he prayed that it was just a nightmare.

 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

Yoongi woke up to a sharp pain in his head and shoulders, the pain was so intense he was instantly gasping for air, only to realize what had just happened. Yoongi was flooded with fear and started to panic, causing him to suffocate from the effects of a panic attack.

 

"Hey!Hey!Hey! Don't move! Relax. I got you!"

 

A young guy that seems to be of similar age as Yoongi was trying to free Yoongi from a seat and a metal bar that was pressing onto Yoongi's body. With that, Yoongi tried his level best to calm himself down, however, his mind didn't seem to want to cooperate with his body, Yoongi was fearing for Yena as he could not spot her whichever direction he moves his eyes.

 

"Hey!You need to stop moving!You are going to hurt yourself."

 

"Yena! D...Did you see a girl? Sh..she was just beside me!Please! Please help me find her."

 

Yoongi was begging in tears and shaking, the young man knew what he meant and held Yoongi's hands.

 

"I do not know where she is. It's a mess here. Listen. We will try to find her. But I need to help you get out of this. Do you understand me?"

 

Still in tears, Yoongi nodded and relaxed his muscles but his heart is still palpitating fast. Looking up to see the young man trying his best to break the seat apart to free Yoongi, he realized the young man had been crying too. There were tear streaks staining his dirt covered face.

 

While helping Yoongi out, both guys heard another cry, or rather a sob in the wreckage. Without much hesitation, both guys approach the source of the sob. To their horror, they found a teenage boy covered in blood still strapped to his seat and a body of a woman on top of him, hands wrapped around the boy, seemingly using her body to protect the boy from the impact.  Carefully, they removed the tight grip of the woman on the boy and moved her body to the side to check on the boy. Although he was covered with blood, he did not seem to have suffered any serious injury. Those were the blood of the woman.

 

The boy did not stop crying. He cried so hard before he loses consciousness.

 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

Namjoon knew Hwijoon was gone the moment he opens his eyes. Hwijoon's unnaturally twisted and distorted body lying just 5 meters away from where Namjoon was himself lying, covered in dust and blood. Namjoon wants to move towards his brother's body but he couldn't move his body.Slowly, Namjoon was once again engulfed in darkness and silence.

 

*********************************************************************************

 

4 hours after impact:


The news of the plane crash broke out in all media outlets in the country and even abroad. The tragic plane crash of KZ108, a domestic flight aircraft Seoul bound that crashes into an agricultural field just halfway through their one hour course. There were witness accounts of fire on the plane before impact, however, the truth is still under investigation. Out of 113 passengers and crew onboard, only 22 survivors with a majority still in critical condition, 3 still yet to be found.