I'm strong

Mending Our Hearts

With a white bouquet held in his left hand and a Hello Kitty doll on the other, Jungkook stood in front of his parents' and his little sister's portrait hung among others that lost their lives on that unfortunate flight, in a memorial hall set up by the country at the crash site. 22 survivors were down to 21 after Dami fought hard for a week in intensive care but did not make it through. Jungkook himself was in a coma, he did not get to be with his sister in her final moments, only waking up a month later to learn that he was the sole survivor of his family.


"Jungkook-ah, we should get going, it's getting late." Jungkook's aunt, his mother's sister, now his legal guardian softly called out to Jungkook. They have been there for several hours now.


"Just... three more minutes." Jungkook replied. His aunt did not rush him again, she didn't have the heart to interrupt Jungkook.


'Mom. Dad. Dami. I'll come back and visit.'


Carefully placing the bouquet and the doll at the foot of the wall of portraits along with many other bouquets, some withered, some still fresh, sticky notes with messages, ribbons, candles and many other items. Jungkook did a silent prayer before walking away.


"Are you sure you want to go back to schooling so soon? You are still healing, you can use some more rest." Jungkook's aunt wasn't quite sure if this is a good idea but Jungkook has been pestering about going back to school for weeks now.


"Don't worry. I can take care of myself." Jungkook gave his aunt an assuring smile. There is a valid basis for his aunt to be worried though, ever since the head injuries and the surgery, Jungkook was constantly experiencing seizure episodes and sometimes losing control of certain body coordination, it seems these side effects of his injury will follow him throughout his life, only able to be kept at bay with proper care and medication.

"Ask your teacher to call me if anything ok?" Jungkook's aunt kept reminding Jungkook as she drives him to school for the first time after the incident. Jungkook could not use a phone, a panic attack happens everytime he touches one. His aunt finds it weird but Jungkook knows perfectly why that happened. At the back of his mind, Jungkook was guilty of not switching off his phone as the plane took off that day, although it is clearly not his fault that the accident happened, he could not stop blaming himself. He should have listened to his parents. 

Students are staring at him as Jungkook walked through the front gate of his school. Maybe they pitied Jungkook for his lost or maybe just the unnatural way Jungkook walks, slightly limping and slanted to one side, whichever, Jungkook tried his best to ignore. 

"Good morning Jungkook! Nice to have you back" His homeroom teacher Ms. Kwon greeted him warmly, much more than he'd last remembered she did. She was the teacher that sent him to detention months ago. Irony. Classes went fine for the morning and recess came.

"Hey Jungkook. Ermm..how are you doing?" One of his classmates seated himself beside Jungkook on the lunch table. 

"Alright." Jungkook was munching on his bread and he could feel all eyes were on him. 

"Ermm. Sorry about your....your..." His friends just couldn't find the proper word to describe the incident. Maybe they were too afraid to hurt or offend him in any way, it seems to them Jungkook is too fragile and vulnerable as if a wrong move would break him. At least not from the outlook, Jungkook was a strong boy. 

"It's fine. Thanks for your concern." Jungkook casually answered. Jungkook could feel the relieve on their faces. 

"Ms. Kwon said we should help you with your school work. So ... ermm... if you need our help... just..just let us know." 

"Sure. Thanks." Again, so careful with their words. It's pretty obvious to him that the school might have had a prep talk with his classmates so that they know 'how' they should be acting around him. Jungkook wasn't a fan of this kind of attention, all he wishes was to get as much of the broken pieces of his life back into place as soon as possible. The way they are acting is burdensome. 

 

Even though they are technically teenagers but kids will always be kids, a little joke and fun and everyone tend to forget about being caution around Jungkook, which in fact Jungkook liked it that way, just like the good old days how everyone used to treat him. The only time all of them were being reminded of was during PE lessons where Jungkook had to sit out of it because his doctor wouldn't let him. It's hard to sit on the sidelines and watch others play, so most of the time Jungkook would spend his PE lessons in the library to catch up with his school work. 

 

Weeks went by, it was still bearable until one day.

 

"Jungkook, are you okay? You look tired." Ms. Kwon asked Jungkook with concern eyes as Jungkook looked rather pale and spacing out during class.

 

"Probably just a little tired but I'm fine." It is true that he was tired as he spent the night before rushing a project. Probably a power nap during recess might solve the matter just fine. Jungkook wasn't feeling unwell or anything so he just let it slide. Come recess and Jungkook tried to catch up on some sleep on his desk, as recess goes by, he was woken up by a tap on his shoulders, as he opens his eyes, his vision all of a sudden starts to blur, a floating almost dream-like sensation came, the next second... THUD. Jungkook fell over his chair and was twitching on the floor uncontrollably, eyes rolling behind his eye socket, he was having a seizure episode. His classmates were screaming, they've never seen Jungkook this way before, it was always horrifying for people seeing it for the first time, the school nurse came rushing to Jungkook's side and helped him into a recovery position. after a while, the seizure subsides and Jungkook was beyond exhausted. He was taken to the infirmary and his aunt was contacted. 

 

Seizures are no new thing to Jungkook but it never ceases to fear him. 

 

"Your aunt will be here in a moment. Everything will be fine." The school nurse passed him a cup of water and tried her best to calm him as Jungkook is still trembling and shaking. 

 

That day at home, Jungkook cried in the corner of his room, not so much of the fear of having a seizure but the terrified looks on his classmates and teachers. It wasn't a side he wanted to show them, he had tried so hard to be the Jungkook he used to be, but he failed, he is no longer himself.