Out

Mending Our Hearts

Two cars, seven boys, one-day city tour. That's the plan. Hoseok had Jimin and Jungkook in his car and Seokjin had Yoongi, Taehyung, and Namjoon in his. It wasn't a surprise that none of them made any request or joined in the planning of their tour itinerary except Seokjin, Namjoon and Jungkook occasionally, considering all of them have just known each other less than a day or two and were still pretty awkward and a little too polite around each other, not to mention all of them have different things going on in their minds especially when they are all at a city they didn't get to make it the last time. They aren't in a bad mood, just slightly heavy somewhere inside, all trying their best to push things aside and welcome the vacation mood in them. With Jimin's wheelchair in mind, they tried to avoid any places that are difficult to access for the disabled, they did not make it a bid deal, but Jimin knew. 

 

Historical sites weren't something that seems to interest them, being Koreans themselves, places like Gyeongbukgong, Namdaemun gate, or the statue of King Sejong only reminds them of boring History classes in school, so they just drove past them for a quick glance or probably just for the sake of a few photos taken from their car window. Namsan Tower was a hassle, too much tourist and people buzzing around, they did not stay long, too much attention for Jimin's liking. The weather was great and Seokjin suggested they do a lunch picnic with takeouts by the Han river. It wasn't an uncommon practice, it's the weekend and people love to gather and hang out around the grassy fields and slopes along the Han river. It even surprises Seokjin himself that there are delivery services straight to them in the outdoors. 

 

They planned to have lunch there, all of them needed some fresh air out in the open, the past months had been suffocating for everyone. The breeze was pleasant, Seokjin with the help of Namjoon and Yoongi spread the mat over the grass where they all sat in a circle, much like their college or school MT sessions (MT is a Korean abbreviation for Membership Training, it is a get along session). Jimin was uncomfortable, they could all tell. It's weird to be the only one in a wheelchair, sticking out in the crowd like a sore thumb if Jimin would put it. Along the river, there are a few people in wheelchairs too, but all of them elderly, Jimin was young, way too young to be in a wheelchair. Reality is cruel.

 

"This chicken is great! We don't have these back in Busan." Hoseok munching his chicken with a crispy crunch sound with every bite, expression almost looking like what actors do for a fried chicken ad, satisfying. Those actors might not be acting after all.

 

"I can't remember the last time I had something like that. It would go great with a little beer." Yoongi admiring his food almost religiously. With minors around, they opt for beverages without alcohol, Coke, while Jungkook and Jimin were forced to just take juice instead.

 

"That's not fair!" Jungkook pouting while watching Taehyung gulped down the bottle of Coke that could very well be his if not for Seokjin stopping him. They can't help but laugh.

 

The lunch picnic was great, they had fun chatting and joking, though it didn't stop them thinking about something else with the sight of families happily eating, couples taking photos, kids playing around. There's a void somewhere inside of them. But they need to do this, to face it, to overcome it, they can't be avoiding and escaping it forever. Turning back to each other in a circle, there seems to be warmth in the void. Somehow.

 

"Where shall we go next?" Seokjin started picking up the used paper plates and food crumbs that had fallen on the mat.

 

"Anything you guys want to do? Or places you wished to visit?"

 

"Shopping?" Namjoon suggested.

 

"That could do too." Seokjin calculated the idea in his head.

 

"Won't mind that." Hoseok replied with Jungkook nodding in agreement. Hoseok shot Jimin a look, Jimin did not reply, that means no disagreement. Everywhere is crowded anyways, better be in the indoors than the outdoors since the air is getting colder by the hour.

 

"Fine with me." Yoongi, still chewing on his last bite of chicken. Taehyung, on the other hand, is playing with his phone while others stare his way, though they came to know Taehyung most probably won't react at all, after repeating similar scenario so many times that day.

 

While heading back to the car, Jungkook walked up to Seokjin.

 

"Seokjin-hyung." Jungkook almost whispering while walking beside him.

 

"Yes?Jungkook."

 

"Why is Taehyung-hyung not talking to us at all? He-He..ermm can't talk can he?" Jungkook seems to be really concerned, his 'mission' is stuck because of Taehyung.

 

"Yes. He can't speak. But he is fine. You'll get to know him better, just give him some time." Seokjin gave Jungkook a warm smile and a pat on the shoulder. Jungkook wants to sit with Taehyung somehow, trying his best to complete his 'mission', which he ended up swapping car seats with Namjoon. 

 

 

 

 

The shopping went smoothly with most of them just window shopping rather than really purchasing any item. Even with window shopping, time flies, their tummy grumbling a little and it is almost evening. 

 

"How about we go get some drinks or light snacks before we get back for dinner? There's a famous shop somewhere around here that sells really nice cream puffs." Seokjin was tiptoeing, turning in all directions and stretching his neck as if it helps him to locate the shop he remembered sighting some time back.

 

"I could use some caffeine." Yoongi mumbled while scrolling on his phone. Namjoon agreed, nodding. 

 

"Cream puffs sounds great, coffee would be good too." Hoseok was already running through his own imaginary menu in his head. 

 

"How about you guys?" Seokjin seeking the response of the others. 

 

"I don't think I need anything." Jimin said softly, showing a slight grin as a courtesy as he rejects.

 

"I'll get you some hot chocolate." Hoseok pat Jimin's shoulders and made a decision for him. Somehow Jimin did not seems to be against the idea. 

 

"I think a few of us could go get the food and drinks, others can stay here and rest for a bit, I think there will be a long queue in those shops." Seokjin analyzing the crowd flow around the area. 

 

"Tae?" Taehyung looks away from his phone and stared at Seokjin as his name is being called. Others are in awe how Seokjin is able to get the boy to respond. Taehyung pondered for a moment and typed on his phone.

 

Bubble tea.

 

Taehyung is really one special boy that Seokjin constantly being reassured that he had made the right choice in taking him in. Seokjin smiled.

 

"Jungkook?....Jungkook?" Upon hearing his name, Jungkook was snapped out of his daze as his mind was drifted off somewhere while the others were in the conversation, returning to his senses. 

 

"Jungkook. You alright? Anything you want? Drinks? Snacks?" Seokjin asked, noticing the boy had been looking tired from all the activities.

 

"Yes. I'm fine. I'll .. I'll just have what Jimin-hyung is having." 

 

"Alright! Hot chocolate that is. So, who's coming with me?" After a show of hands, just like how kids do in school, it was decided. Hoseok and Namjoon will go get the cream puffs while Seokjin, Yoongi, and Taehyung (Somehow insisted to tag along) will get the drinks, split up into groups to be more efficient. This left Jimin and Jungkook as they did not want to follow along, and so they stayed in a corner where there are benches for shoppers to rest. 

 

"Ju-Jungkook, you look tired." Jimin tried to break the silence between both of them.

 

"Just a little, too much walking around I guess." Jungkook said casually and turned to Jimin with a grin. 

 

"How old are you?" Jimin figured that he only knew Jungkook's a teen, which is obvious, but the cute and innocent look on Jungkook's face, coupled with large round eyes really got Jimin puzzled if Jungkook is 13? 14? or 15? 

 

"Fifteen. How about you hyung?" 

 

"Seventeen."

 

"Wow. I really wish I could graduate middle school soon. " 

 

"Why?"

 

"Ermm... I just don't like it there." Jimin never pushed further to ask why he did not like being in his middle school.

 

"High school wasn't that great either. I didn't like being there too. High school calculus . No jam." Jimin jokingly shared Jungkook some harsh reality. Both of them started laughing. 

 

"I think high school would be fun, as long as I can get into any school that is not the school that I might go to along with my other classmates." Jungkook was thinking, he was at a point that he didn't enjoy seeing all his friends and teachers anymore. They did him no wrong and he felt a tinge of guilt for hating them without a reason. There is a need to clean the slate and start over again, perhaps. 

 

"Hyung. Do you have something you like to do?" The question caught Jimin off-guard. Perhaps Jungkook shouldn't have asked such a question, but nonetheless, Jungkook asked out of innocent intent, probably just wanting to talk to him or just curious for some unknown reason.

 

"I err...I dunno. I don't think I have.... Not anymore." It's almost weird how Jungkook just nodded and never asked further. Jimin was thankful for that. He knows clearly what he likes to do, but it will be too painful to give that more thoughts now, he needs to concentrate to forget it. That's his current goal. 

 

"Hoseok-hyung really cares for you, hyung. I wish I had a friend like that." Jimin went silent for a moment before opening his mouth.

 

"I know." 

 

Jungkook really looks exhausted, Jimin himself too. Probably their bodies are not completely healed yet, or maybe it is just a coincidence of the medication they both had that drains them easily. Jimin watched as Jungkook almost dozed off but tried to keep himself awake. It's rather cute how Jungkook would shut his eyes for a moment and suddenly jolt back into awakedness. It was all cute until Jimin noticed Jungkook's eyes seems to become dull and out of focus in a way that didn't seem right, even when Jimin was talking to him. Just as Jimin wanted to ask Jungkook if he was alright. Jungkook fell from the bench to the ground hard and starts twitching. 

 

It's a seizure. 

 

For a second, Jimin was stunned and didn't know what to do, he wanted to reach Jungkook from his wheelchair but it was too risky that Jimin himself might lose his own balance and tip over his wheelchair too. Jimin wanted to shout for help but no one was in the vicinity, they have chosen a rather quiet and secluded corner to wait for the others, which now seems to be a huge mistake. Jimin quickly pulled out his phone and called Hoseok. 

 

"Hyung! Help! Jungkook..Ju..Jungkook is having a seizure!" Just before he even finished his sentence, Hoseok and Namjoon had came sprinting towards them, fortunately, they are already on their way back to them before the seizure started. 

 

It's not like both Hoseok and Namjoon knew how to deal with a seizure episode, witnessing it for the first time themselves, Hoseok held on to Jungkook so his head would not hit the ground and continue to hold him until the twitching and muscle spasm subside. Jimin was already crying, although he did not realize until the seizure stopped. Jungkook looks extremely disoriented in Hoseok's arms, pale and frail. It wasn't until he fully gains control of his body again that tears started falling like rain. Hoseok hugged him tightly, trying his best to assure Jungkook he is fine and it's over. Hoseok can't help imagining how terrifying it would be for Jungkook. Jungkook was still slumped on the floor with Hoseok hugging him from the back when Seokjin, Yoongi, and Taehyung came running after Jimin phoned them immediately after the seizure subsides. Namjoon still in shock. 

 

"H-hyu-hyung, I'm s-sorry." Jungkook, still shaken up and in tears.

 

"It's ok. Let's go back." Seokjin said with an assuring smile, though it would seem rather forced for any bystander, whilst Hoseok carried the boy on his back and head to their car. 

 

The whole journey back, Jungkook kept apologizing and begging Seokjin not to call his aunt. 

 

"Please! Seokjin-hyung! Please don't call my aunt. Don't tell her! I'm sorry." 

 

"Jungkook. Stop apologizing. It's not your fault, it's just.. just you not feeling well, that's all. But your aunt should know, she will be worried. "

 

"No! Hyung! PLEASE!" Jungkook was pleading and sobbing so hard, eventually, Seokjin gave in. 

 

"Fine. I'll not call her this time. But you need to tell us if you are feeling the slightest discomfort." 

 

"Thank you. Hyung." Jungkook muttered in his tired and hoarse voice feeling relieved and fell asleep.

 

Back in Seokjin's place, Jungkook was carried to his bed to rest while the others gathered in the living room still shocked from the incident but did not say a word until Seokjin came back after checking on Jungkook.

 

"How's the boy?" Yoongi asked.

 

"He's sleeping now. Just tired."

 

"That's was one hella seizure." Hoseok finally letting out a sigh, recalling the horrific event. 

 

Seokjin with the help of Yoongi and Hoseok made simple dinner for all of them, they decided to let Jungkook have his rest and left Jungkook with some soup and porridge if he happens to wake up later and gets hungry. 

 

 

 

 

The next morning was as peaceful as it always had been in Seokjin's place. The chopping and dicing with the sound of hot pan sizzling gently woke up Jungkook and the others. 

 

"Hi there Jungkook. How are you feeling?" Seokjin turned from his kitchen stove towards Jungkook, still rubbing his sleepy eyes.

 

"Better." Jungkook smiled. 

 

"Great. Would you mind to go get the others for breakfast? It's almost ready." Seokjin is pretty sure the others are already up and they will be happy to see Jungkook back on his feet all smiling. 

 

With Jungkook as their 'morning angel', everyone was up and have gathered around the dining table in no time. But someone's missing. 

 

"Where is Namjoon?"