Half-mast

Mending Our Hearts

"Hyung...Hyung...HYUNG!!"

 

Panting to catch his breath, Hoseok woke up drenched in cold sweat to find himself lying on a hospital bed. Jimin's voice still ringing in his head. 

 

"Mr.Jung, you need to relax. Don't move. Your ribs are fractured." A doctor or a nurse told him, whichever he did not bother. All he wants to know is how was Jimin.

 

"Wh-Where is Jimin? I need to go see him." Despite the pain and the warning, Hoseok ignores and tries to struggle himself up from his bed which was instantly caught by a medical staff before he stumbles across the room to make his injury worse. 

 

"Sir. You cannot leave your bed. Sir!" 

 

"Hold him down."

 

A few more medical staffs came rushing into the room to secure Hoseok from his sudden fit, where he starts kicking, pushing and yelling.

 

"Please... Please let me see Jimin. Please!" After losing all his strength to fight back, Hoseok slumps to the ground crying and pleading to the medical staffs to allow him to see Jimin.A doctor kneels down in front of him to comfort him. 

 

"Mr. Jung. Patient Park Jimin is still in a coma in the ICU right now. I'm afraid we can't let you see him for the time being."

 

"Wh-What happened? Is-is he okay? H-he wasn't moving at all..." Flashes of Jimin lifelessly lying on the walkway displayed in Hoseok's mind, his heart went cold, it was graphically so clear in his mind that he swears he could still smell the smoke and blood. 

 

"He...erm..."

 

"TELL ME!!" Hoseok shouted, demanding an answer.

 

"Jimin has severely injured his spine, sustaining punctured lung with multiple bone fractures. He is on life support. We are sorry that we cannot guarantee if he will make it through. But he is a strong boy, and he is trying his best." 

 

The news came crashing down on Hoseok. In addition to the news of the death of his other team members of his dance crew, he was in such a huge shock that the medical team had to sedate him to calm him down. It was too much to bear. 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

Namjoon woke up with a broken arm and legs in a cast. There is nothing more painful than the picture of Hwijoon's body crumpled in front of his eyes. A sharp pain in his head causing him to throw up. It is normal to throw up upon sight of some horrifying bloody scene, however, this is different. This was his brother, his beloved brother. How could he throw up thinking about his own brother? The sudden guilt made his scream, yelling at the top of his lungs. His parents that had just arrived from US upon receiving the devastating news came running into his room. 

 

"Mom!Dad!... I am so sorry! I'm so sorry!" Namjoon could not stop apologizing. 

 

"It-It's okay dear." Namjoon's mom said in a shaking and sad voice, tears rolling down her face.

 

"Hw-Hwijoon is...he is...." His mother held him tight in her arms.

 

"It's not your fault...It's not your fault."

 

"I-I can't save him. I can't." Namjoon sobbing in his mother's arms. 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

"Mr. Kim? .. Taehyung-ah? Kim Taehyung?" The nurses had been calling him for hours now, the boy, however, did not respond. All he did after he arrived at the hospital was staring into distance not uttering a single word, neither did he cry. Although he did not suffer any serious injuries other than some scratches or bruises sustained from the impact, his behaviour was worrying. 

 

"Doc. We really can't get him to talk or respond to us. He has been ignoring us for a whole day now. Do you think we need to call for a therapist from the Psychiatric department?" Taehyung's nurses were all very worried for the poor boy. 

 

"I will get the Psychiatric department to send someone down to check on him. He has not been eating or drinking too." His doctor shook his head, not knowing how to deal with Taehyung. 

 

"Hello. Kim Taehyung? I'm Dr. Yang. I am your therapist, so do you mind if I join you?" Dr. Yang smiled, although knowing very well Taehyung would not respond. Pulling a chair over, he sat down near the room window where Taehyung is staring outside into spaces, almost not blinking his eyes. Silently, Dr. Yang observed the boy. 

 

Taehyung is experiencing severe post-traumatic stress disorder. It's common for survivors of tragic disasters to experience different symptoms and post-traumatic responses, such as panic attacks, depression, breakdowns etc, but Taehyung is a much more rare case where he shows absolutely no response whatsoever as if he is in another world of his own. Dr. Yang is determined to help Taehyung, but he knows it would not be easy after knowing from reports that Taehyung had witnessed the whole ordeal, especially his mother's death in front of his very eyes.

 

*********************************************************************************

Beep~Beep~!

 

"DOCTOR!! He is having another seizure!" A nurse yells as doctors rushes to Jungkook's side.  Jungkook underwent surgeries for his head injuries as there are internal bleeding discovered within his brain. Fortunately, they managed to stop the bleeding before it worsens, but there are so many damages that has caused to the brain, it is hard to tell if it would have had any life-changing effects on the boy. 

 

Ever since his surgery, Jungkook had been slipping in and out of coma and experiencing seizures. His sister, on the other hand, was also on life support. 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

"Mr. Min. Are you sure you want to do this? You don't need to force yourself." Said a staff nurse.

 

"Yes." A firm answer, although Yoongi knew he will never be ready to see this. 

 

In front of the mortuary door in a wheelchair, Yoongi knew Yena is just behind that door. How much in his heart that he hopes as he opens that door Yena would just come running and jumping onto him with her signature sweet smile as she did so many times before. 'It's all just a nightmare. Yena will be coming home.' Yoongi wished he was dumb enough to deceive himself that all these did not happen, but it is never clearer to him that Yena is never coming back. 

 

Holding his breath, Yoongi held out his shaking hands, the door pushed opened. 

 

It's cold inside, almost eerie to anyone that set foot in a mortuary, but for Yoongi is a conflicting emotion of longing and despair. His heart sank beyond retrievable as he saw what he did not want to see, Yena, that once beautiful and energetic girl was lying there, pale and cold, cuts and bruises covered her once healthy tan skin. Yoongi could not hold in his emotions anymore, he cried and cried and cried until he was having trouble breathing. The staff nurse had no choice but to forcefully get him out of the mortuary.

 

'Why did you leave me? What should I do now? How should I live?'

 

********************************************************************************* 

 

Staring at his IV drip dripping for hours, Seokjin remained silent on his hospital bed before he decides to wash his face. Heading to the bathroom while rolling his IV drip stand along with him. Splashing cold tap water on his face while watching the water swirl in the sink like a little whirlpool before disappearing into the tiny holes in the sink. Taking in a deep breath, Seokjin walks back to his bed, now watching the ceiling fan turn. 

 

Seokjin did not want to close his eye. For the first time in his life, he hates seeing Jihwan's face. 

 

*********************************************************************************

 

24 hours after impact:

 

All flags in the country are now flying at half-mast.