Chapter 18: TRUST

ACID ft. ALKALINE [HIATUS]

Since the day Chul Woo met Taeyeon, he always quarrels with Tiffany. Chul Woo keep on pushing Tiffany to leave her contract husband, but she always defends it by saying that they need to follow the contract. Plus, she still needs to consider their parents feelings.

“Why can’t you just leave him Tiff?” Chul Woo asked while keep his eyes on the road.

Tiffany sighed. Tired of the same question. “That’s the fifth time today. Don’t you get tired?” She asked him back.

Chul Woo shook his head. “I won't stop asking the same question until you divorce with him.”

Tiffany glares him. “Come on, don’t be such a kid. You already know my answer Chul Woo.” She pulls her gazes away and continue to scroll her phone.

Right at that time, their car stopped at a red light. Chul Woo turn his head to Tiffany. “Oh now it’s Chul Woo, not babe anymore?” He stares at Tiffany who is busy scrolling her phone, not even bother to look at him.

Tiffany put her phone away and look at him, feeling annoyed. “What is wrong with you? It just a name. You don’t have to be so sensitive about it.” She shakes her head in disbelief.

“Now you say I’m sensitive? Yeah right I’m sensitive! I’m sensitive because you keep on defending that ing doctor!” Not realizing the traffic light has turned to green, the car still not moving, making the ones at the back keep honking them.

Didn’t bother to reply, Tiffany asked him to drive since other car at the back already mad. “Drive, it’s already green.”

But he didn’t listen to her. He still staring, demand for her answer. “No! Not until you answer me!”

With pressure from the cars at the back relentlessly honking them, along with her annoying boyfriend, Tiffany’s mad meter rising. “I said drive Chul Woo!” Tiffany shouted.

Chul Woo groaned in frustration. “ all this!” He slammed his hand on the steering wheel and step on the pedal hard, making the car accelerate at high speed.

He is now driving like a mad person and has passed several cars in front. Tiffany glared at the meter box. They are driving at a speed of 110km/h on a busy main road. That is like trying to kill themselves! Seeing that there is no sign for him to slow down, Tiffany opens . “Slow down Chul Woo. Can’t you see we’re on a busy road?”

Chul Woo didn’t bother to listen to her. He keeps on pressing the pedal, passing all the cars in front them. He changed lane and took a dangerous turn to the highway, nearly bump into other cars. Tiffany who was seating beside him started to feel panic. She keeps on glancing at Chul Woo. That guy still with his straight face and have no intention of slowing down his drive. They’re now moving in 180km/h on the highway.

“Are you out of your mind?! Slow down! Lee Chul Woo!” Tiffany said, nearly break into tears. She really scared right now. Scared of her boyfriend and scared of losing her life.

As much he wants to press the pedal more, Chul Woo heard her shaking voice. He was fighting with his inner thoughts and anger right now. He pulls over to the right side of the road and stopped the car. He then unlocks the door.

“Get out.” He said while still keep his eyes straight.

Tiffany feels relieved when the car stopped and he finally back to his sense, but she also feels confused with his words. Who did he ask to get out?

“Hm? Who?”

He turned his head to Tiffany. “Who else is here?”

Tiffany still doesn't understand. Well, she has a thought in her mind but she’s hoping that is not the one. “Are you by any chance…-” she didn’t get to finish her word when Chul Woo cut her off.

Already know what in her mind, he affirmed her words. “Yes. You. Get out.” He brought his gazes to the road outside, signaling her to get out.

Tiffany was speechless. Don’t know how to react after hearing he chased her out from the car. “No… you don’t mean it r-right?”

Chul Woo keep his face straight. “Do I look like I’m playing right now? Quick, get out!”

Tiffany begins to shed a tear. Did not expect her boyfriend would dare to treat her like that.

Looking at Tiffany still didn’t move an inch, Chul Woo get out from the driver seat and open the side door. He then takes her things and pulls her out.

“What are you doing! You can’t leave me here Chul Woo! Please!” Tiffany begged while struggling to let go from his grip.

But Chul Woo was stronger. He grips her wrist firmly and drag her out from the car. “I can and I’m doing it right now!”

Done dragging her to the side of the road, he quickly makes his way back to the car and drive away from there, leaving her alone.

Tiffany is literally being left in the middle of highway, alone. She can’t believe that Chul Woo really left her there just because of small things. She’s aware about his possessiveness before, but now he seems abusive rather than being possessive. Tiffany cries her heart out while thinking on what she should do. A lot of cars were passing her but none of them stopped.

Tiffany takes out her phone and scrolling through her contact. Trying to find someone who can help her. She was thinking about her father, but things will just become more complicated if her father know about Chul Woo. The contact list now scaled down to two persons. Of course it was her best friend Jessica and… Taeyeon. Don’t know how and why, she included Taeyeon in that list.

She contemplates for a few minutes before decided to dial the selected person number. After few ringing, the person on the other line answers her call.

“Hello?” The other person greet her.

Tiffany clears before answer. “Um hello…”

“Yes Fany?” he answered her.

“Can you help me… Taeyeon?” Yes Tiffany decided to call Taeyeon instead of Jessica and she don’t even know why.

On the other line, Taeyeon heard her sorrow voice. He could feel that something is happening to her. He still remembers how happy her voice is when she said about going out with her boyfriend earlier. And now she’s calling him and asking for help with her sorrow voice. So suspicious… “Yes of course, what is it?” He asked.

Tiffany was silent for a moment. She feel ashamed for the fact she asked Taeyeon for a help. Chul Woo is the one who supposed to protect her, but here she is now, asking the so called her replacement husband to be her knight instead. “C-can you pick me up… there’s no taxi here and I don’t know how to get home…” At this time, tears started to form on the edge of her eyes.

Taeyeon was surprised with her words. She asked him to pick her up? And what’s with the no taxi thingy? Where is she right now? All those questions were roaming in his mind. That’s it. He knows Tiffany is in trouble. “Alright text me your location. I’ll come to you as fast as I can.”

She feels relieved because Taeyeon didn’t reject nor question her. It made her realize that Taeyeon never say no to her. “Thank you Tae…” She thanked him.

Before they ended the call, Taeyeon say something to her. “No worries. And Fany? Please be safe wherever you are and wait for me. I’ll come and get you okay?”

Don’t know why, but Taeyeon’s words sound so warm and manage to calm her. “Okay Tae…” with that, they ended the call. Tiffany quickly sends her location to Taeyeon and stay to the inner side of the road.

--

MEANWHILE IN CHUL WOO’s CAR

After leaving her girlfriend alone in the middle of highway, Chul Woo drives furiously without even looking back. Anger that was raging inside him made him unaware that he has hurt Tiffany.

“Just why you can’t leave him Tiff? Why?!” He screamed while slamming one of his hands on the steering wheel.

The thought of him meeting Taeyeon last few weeks suddenly played in his mind. He still remembers how unbothered Taeyeon with his presence. That man really knows how to keep his cool. “Just you wait you ing replacement!”

He then continues to drive to his house.

--

HALF AN HOUR AFTER THAT

Taeyeon pull over his car to the side of the road after looking at the last direction given by the navigator. He put in the location given by Tiffany earlier and it brought him to the highway? Taeyeon knows it was the right location when he saw a familiar figure sitting quietly while looking down. He then approaches her slowly.

“Fany…?” He called her name.

The woman looks up upon hearing a voice. She flashed a bitter smile to him, but Taeyeon noticed something else. Her swollen eyes, puffy cheeks, and gloomy face. She looks messed up. He knows that she just stopped crying. “What happen to her?”

Tiffany stood up and walked towards Taeyeon. Not knowing what was driving her, she hugged the man. Taeyeon too didn't push her or say anything. Perhaps a hug will help to calm her down. They stayed in that position for a while. Taeyeon tenderly the back of Tiffany’s head while she cried on his shoulder.

“Why do you often get hurt, Tiffany? Why are your tears easily visible? Aren’t those tears are meant to resemble pearls? It supposed to be something rare and treasured.” Taeyeon thought to himself.

Tiffany released the hug as she realized they were still in the middle of the highway. She also saw Taeyeon’s shoulder, which was now drenched because of her tears. “I’m sorry…”

“Why are you sorry? You didn’t do anything wrong.” Says Taeyeon. That man quite surprise with her sudden apologize when that woman specifically didn’t do anything to him.

Tiffany pointed at his clothes. “My tears have ruined your shirt.”

Taeyeon shifted his gaze to the area Tiffany pointed at and chuckled after that. He finds that Tiffany can be kinda cute even when she’s sad. “Oh this? It’s nothing. Isn’t it my job to be your shoulder to cry? So don’t worry kay?” He ended his words with small smile and wink.

Tiffany stood there staring at Taeyeon’s face, saying nothing. Tiffany’s mind suddenly drifted, recalling something after hearing his words earlier.

This man was the one who calmed her down when she was bombarded with negative comments and try his best to cheer her up again. When she told him about the suspicious man, he was the one who raced towards her. He’s the one that watch her every night, checking her from time to time even though he got a packed schedule. This man is the one who will always comply with all of her demands, even if it means to sign the stupid marriage contract. Despite being called as a replacement millions of times, he will always remain at her side. Just like now.

Tiffany recalled the day when she and her friends hanging out together and Jessica pointed out something that strike right into her mind when they were talking about Taeyeon and Chul Woo. She already aware that Jessica has been always objects her relationship with Chul Woo. And now, knowing that guy wants to get her back, it made Jessica going mad. “He gave up his life to marry you even though he doesn’t even love you Tiff. He let himself get treated like a string puppet for your sake. From being a replacement, to living in your life, he can’t even make his own choice from the very first day, not even get to choose his own wedding tuxes. And if you think any of this is easy for him, then you’re mistaken Tiff.”

“Tiff, it’s not only you who is in pain. Taeyeon too, he is suffering in the same way that you are. So, if you can’t love him, the least you can do is be good to him.” - Yuri

“I just don’t understand why did you still pick that a$$hole? Why not Taeyeon? He always tries his best to make you feel wanted. And there’s no way you won’t admit that he treats you better than that liar.”

Their words echoed in Tiffany’s ears. “Jess is right. He… did sacrificed a lot for me.”

“Fany? Are you okay?” Taeyeon called her. She seems distracted. He noticed Tiffany stare into his face for quite long, like looking at something deep.

Tiffany snap back to reality after heard her name being called and quickly make her way to the car. They shouldn’t wait no more.

Tiffany remained silent in the whole ride, her eyes darting out the window, looking at every building they passed. Taeyeon would occasionally notice the woman wiping away her tears from the side mirror. He didn’t want to ask any questions right now since he knew Tiffany’s emotions were still volatile.

--

HOME

They reached home after 30 minutes driving. Taeyeon offered Tiffany to dinner, but she declined and just wanted to go home. Tiffany entered her room and shut the door behind her. She simply wanted to lie quietly while staring at the empty ceiling, letting her mind lead her down to the depths of her heartbreak.

Tiffany was still thinking about how the man had dumped her on the highway. He doesn’t even call her after that, as if he hadn’t felt a single ounce of guilt. She knows that Chul Woo never treat her appropriately as a lover from the start. The amorous encounters shown in front of the camera appear to be staged at times. It would be a lie if she never felt like she was nothing more than just a companion to him. Runaway, photoshoots, award show, after party and many more. Just name it. She accompanies him to anywhere he went to. He’ll dragged her around and pulled her into all those business talks that end up allowed him get associates with all those famous art director and producer. Since they already know Tiffany, it’s easy for them to accept her boyfriend too.

Other than all those events, she doesn’t even remember much about their normal dates. Fancy dinner for anniversaries, picnic at the park, clubbing, concerts, and few times chilling at home watching Netflix. Most of it were in crowded place and they barely have privacy between them. Tight schedules too, make them didn’t have much time together.

Questions such as “Does he really love me?” frequently cross into her thoughts. But all changed when the man proposed to her. Her uncertainty vanished in the blink of an eye, and she accepted to his proposal, hoping she had made a good choice. But unfortunately it was a wrong move.

While Tiffany pondering, someone knocked on her door. It was Taeyeon.

“Fany? Can I come in?” He asked.

Tiffany pulled back the blanket that covered her face and sigh. “Is there any important thing you want to talk about?” She asked from inside. She really doesn’t want to meet anyone nor say anything right now.

Taeyeon look at the glass he was holding. There’s nothing important he want to talk about other than just want to check on her or at least make her feel better. “Actually, yes. I do have something to talk.” He lied.

Didn’t bother to get up from her bed, Tiffany just asked him to come in. “The door didn’t lock. You may come in.”

He carefully walks into the room and put the glass on the bed side table. Taeyeon fixed his gaze on Tiffany, who was laying on the bed with her face covered, most likely wants to hide her face. He saw a glimpse of her body under the blanket through the dim light coming in from the outside. The room was pitch black, just the wind flowing in through the opened window.

“I brought apple juice for you.”

“No it’s okay. You said you have something important to talk about?” She rejects it.

“Ah about that. Let’s start by putting on some light in this room.” Taeyeon walks near her and switch on the night lamp beside Tiffany. The room then began to be illuminated by a dim light.

Tiffany groan as the light shoot into her swollen eyes. “Can’t we just let it dark?” Taeyeon shakes his head. “Nope. Because I can’t see whether you’re smiling or not.”

“And is that even important?”

He nods his head while smiling warmly. “Yes. That’s the thing we’ll talk now.”

“Oh come on Taeyeon, you know I’m not in the mood for playing around right now.” Tiffany sigh and tries to pull back her comforter up when she got stopped by Taeyeon. “So do I.” he says while pulling her blanket down slowly and put it aside.

Didn’t wait for her replies, he talks more.

“How can I ignore the facts that you were at the highway in the middle of the night, Fany? Not to mention, you freaking cried on the entire drive and now you stay in the dark, like someone who has lost hope for life. Look at those swollen eyes.” He touched the edge of her swollen eyes gently. “Tell me how I can’t be worried or curious at the very least?” he half whispered.

Tiffany, on the other hand, touched, and tears streamed down her cheeks. She was saddened once more by Taeyeon’s warm hearted act to her. Yes, it just a simple kind act that anyone would be doing if they were in the same situation as theirs, but Chul Woo never once try to emotionally be connected to her. All the is solely based on lust and pleasure. She will be left alone the next morning, like a one-night stand. Partying, get drunk, having , left alone and repeat. But since love has conquer her mind, she didn’t mind getting treated like unwanted by him. Isn’t it interesting? Tiffany, who is known for being a strong minded, optimistic, passionate about her career, and persistent, may easily get into one toxic relationship.

But this man in front of her right now, who appeared in her life out of nowhere treats her better than the man she loved. Has she been blinded by love all this time?

“He… he left me there.” Tiffany tries to open up. She tries to talk more but only a muffled sob could be heard.

As Taeyeon had expected, it’s all because of the a$$hole. He feels sorry for Tiffany. After what she’s been through, that guy seems not to have any sense of appreciation at all. “You don’t have to tell me if it was too much for you Fany. We can just stay silent, and I’ll wait till you sleep.” Says Taeyeon after realizing that it might be too much for her to brought up her pain.

Tiffany takes a few moments to think. Tiffany is well aware that she is already troubling Taeyeon in a variety of ways. As he is already stressed from his job suspension, she doesn’t want to add another burden on his plate. So she asked, “Would it make you feel burdened if I told you?”

“Yes. That’s why I suggested that we stay quiet till you are asleep.” He answers her without hesitate. He also keep his face straight to trick her.

Tiffany hangs her head weekly upon hearing Taeyeon's answer. “Of course he’s sick of your problems Tiffany. You and your never-ending pathetic life.”

Taeyeon laugh seeing her reactions. He just wants to . “Oh look at you Fany. I’m only joking because I’d like to brighten up the mood. Can’t you feel the dark vibes in here? It’s scary you know?” He then her hair gently and push up her hanging down chin.

“Are you seriously won’t feel burden with my problem?” Tiffany asked. She’s not mad at Taeyeon’s joke, she just wants to really make sure that he’s okay with her sharing her problem, again.

Taeyeon let out a warm smile while shaking his head. “You know, a doctor not only knows how to treat their patients, but they also know how to be a good listener.”

She began to show signs of interest. “Really? How come?”

Taeyeon smiles as he knows he has successful divert Tiffany’s attention. “How do you think we can diagnose a patient easily?”

“Um… because the patient describes their pain?” Tiffany makes a wild guess.

“Correct. They describe the pain, AND the cause of the pain which somehow will lead to a different story every time.” He emphasized the words to let her understand what he’s trying to say.

“A different story? What do you mean?”

“Alright I’ll give an example. A woman came in unconscious after falls at her home. And after going through several tests and conversation, she was diagnosed with an acute spinal cord injury. Surprisingly, we got to know that she is actually a victim of domestic violence. Her spouse beat her practically every day, and she was only taken to the hospital because she was unconscious. If it left untreated, it would lead to nerve damage and, in the worst-case scenario, paralysis.”

Tiffany’s jaw dropped. Couldn’t believe on what she heard. Such cases can still be found in today’s world. There are still some people unable to think rationally and have the courage to hurt their loved ones. “Oh my God… she doesn’t deserve the cruel marriage life.”

Taeyeon nods to her and continue his explanation. “Yeap that’s true. So you see, we basically just need a straight point to diagnose a patient. We shouldn’t even need to know about their marriage problems or family crisis, but there is no way someone can come to us and describe the pain professionally unless they were a medical practitioner.”

“You speak facts, I like that. So you had no choice other than have to swim into their emotion and stories. Am I right?”

He looks at her and nods. Seems like she’s already got the point. Her eyes were shining, like a kid who’s full of curiosity. “Yeap. It’s a true win-win situation. We can learn more about what’s causing them pain, and patients can voice their concerns or relieve mental stress without they even realizing it.”

“I think with all the situations, I feel like it makes you guys not only a specialist but also a counselor somehow.” She presses her index finger to one’s cheek and propping chin on rest of clenched fingers. Tiffany really finds that Taeyeon had a really cool profession. She somehow fascinates on how he can cope being a specialist doctor who has already had a lot of things in his mind, and still need to help his patients emotionally. It’s like having two different jobs in one time.

Taeyeon showed his dimple smile. He glad that Tiffany would like to talk to him like this. “Told you we’re a good listener.”

She didn’t reply to him and just draw small smile and divert her eyes to the slightly open window. She lets the cool breeze brush her face. On the other side, Taeyeon move his position to the empty space of the bed. He practically sitting beside her now.

After few moments, Taeyeon moved Tiffany body to faced him.

“Now since I can’t diagnose my patient, how about I diagnose you instead? Want to tell me your pain?” says Taeyeon.

Tiffany chuckled upon his words. “What now I’m your patient?”

“Depends. You can be my patient, friend or maybe my… wife? Haha kidding!” he joked.

They both then stay silent and Taeyeon put his hand on hers. “Hey, you can let it all out to me. Don’t keep it to yourself. I know it’s hard for you.”

Tiffany smiled as she stared at that man. She appreciates Taeyeon, who tries his best to be with her.

She then told Taeyeon of what had happened earlier. She also confessed to him on how she felt about her relationship with Chul Woo all this while. Tiffany expressed her heartache and anguish to him without realizing it. There were times she shed tears because she was saddened by her own love story.

Taeyeon remained silent during her talk, listening intently. He listened to everything and patiently waited for Tiffany to stop crying. He also gave Tiffany strength by gently grasping her hand and whispered to her “It’s okay” from times to times.

She stopped after few minutes talking and rest her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder. She doesn’t mind if Taeyeon doesn’t say anything since what she needs right now is someone to listen to her, and Taeyeon is that person, the one who patiently listens to all of her words.

“Feeling better?” he asked after they both stays silent in few moments. Tiffany nods to him and continue put her head on his shoulder.

Suddenly she remembers Taeyeon’s word before. “Taeyeon, you once told me not to choose him even though I hate you. could you please tell me why?”

“Who? That guy?” he confirms the identity with her and Tiffany nods.

“You sure I can diss him?” he blurted it out and make her chuckled with his words. “Yes you may. Go on Tae.” She gives permission.

“He’s the most selfish and arrogant person I have ever met. That ungrateful son of b!tch never learn how to treat a woman of his life. You took everything under your own hands from the very first time and takes all the blame for him.” Says Taeyeon. He felt frustrated, as much as he against his own marriage, he would never ever treat her like that. What that guy did is just too much. Tiffany on the other side was listening to his explanation. Taeyeon stated the same thing as Jessica did.

He then continues again. “Fany, I’m talking on what I see in him as a man and from what you told me earlier. He tends to put his needs first and not even consider your feelings. He makes promises he can’t keep and keep you in the dark about who he really is.” Taeyeon remember on how she told him that she barely knows his parents and he not preferred to talk about his family every time. How can he even think to get married when he don’t even show his family to her?

“Does he ever try to fix his own mess? Does he ever apologize to you of what has happen?” he asked.

Tiffany smile bitterly and shook her head.

Just as he expected. “See? He didn’t put an effort for you, for his own relationship. You’re doing all of the giving and getting nothing in return, this isn’t a healthy dynamic at all Fany. How you want to rely on him if he didn’t even treat you right?”

Everyone around her was saying the same thing. That she does all of the work but didn’t get anything from Chul Woo.

“Then how about you? Can I rely on you?” Tiffany asked.

Taeyeon get a little bit flustered with her sudden question but manage to keep calm. “Well, you can be the judge.”

“Honestly… I actually do trust you more than him. And don’t ask me why!” She warned him.

Taeyeon laugh on her warning but still think about her honest answer. He feels glad that she put trust on him. “Hahaha okay. But I feel curious too. Can’t you just tell me? Hm? No?” he tries to get her talking by keep on showing his face in front of her.

“No! Now shut up and let me borrow your shoulder a bit more.” Tiffany push his face away and put her head back on his shoulder.

“Okay you’re the boss missy.” Taeyeon let her head rest on his shoulder and just they both just stare at the window together. He put on some music to let her enjoy her view more calmly. Within a few minutes, Tiffany drifted to sleep, probably tired from all the cries and emotionally tired while Taeyeon brush her hair gently while listening to the music.

 

I know we both shared a past

Of regrets and scars

But we can leave it behind

And just run away far

We'll let the moon and the stars

Show us where we are tonight

 

I know we both like to laugh

Just like everyone else

I know it seems like the world

Wants to take that away

So grab a hold of my hand

And we can leave this place tonight

- Tonight by Demxntia

 


didn't check grammars and spelling. sorry for any mistakes! :)