Chapter 9 : WORRIES

ACID ft. ALKALINE [HIATUS]

The next day, Tiffany awake by the sound of ringing phone. It’s from her manager, and its probably because of she wants to remind her about the flight today. Yes, today is the day where Tiffany goes to Busan for Fashion Week. This year, she will be wearing Jimmy Lim’s design. Jimmy Lim is a young Asian and fresh designer. There were some of the kind side of Tiffany that really cant be seen by anyone. She tries to help the new, young designer to get highlight in the industry.

As much as she hates to wake up early in the morning, Tiffany knows she need to do it anyway before her manager comes and rush Taeyeon’s house.

But then, she realised that she’s not sleeping on her bed. Tiffany looks around. She scanned the room and Taeyeon presence cannot be seen. The thought about last night suddenly rush into her mind. “Did he really said that?” “Why he said that suddenly?” those things were playing in her mind until she gets surprised by the phone call from her manager again reminding her to not to be late as she knows how late Tiffany can be even though she has already wake up 5 hours before the event.

“Ugh! Alright alright! I’ll be ready in 1 hour!” She reply to her manager and end the call. Lazily, she managed to get her body out from the bed and went back to her room.

--

AT THE HOSPITAL

Finished doing his morning check, Taeyeon went to the café to get some coffee. Sleeping on the couch last night make his back hurt and barely gets to sleep. But then Sunny came to greet him.

“Morning Taeng.” She greet him after finished ordering her americano.

Taeyeon turn his head and saw Sunny. He then smile and said “Hey yah.”

Looking at his order, “Early caffeine boost huh?”

“Hahaha yeah, today gonna be a long day like usual, so… yeah coffee is the best.” He said while showing off the coffee cup. Sunny nods upon his reply and walk away back to her station after get her coffee.

“See ya later Taeng, bye.” Taeyeon nods and waved his hand. He then take a seat at 1 of the table at the café and read his patient’s chart while take a ship of his coffee when he suddenly saw a woman having trouble to use her right hand. Taeyeon forgot about the chart and observed the woman for quite a while.

He saw that she having a trouble to hold a glass and even a fork. Feeling curious, he step up towards her.

“Hi. I saw you’re having some trouble with our hand, have you checked it?”

The woman looks puzzled with Taeyeon’s sudden approach. “Huh what? My hands were okay.” She answers. But then, she say something again. “If this is just your trick to get my number or something, you’ll fail. Your method is just so lame. Lol.” Added her.

Now its changed. Taeyeon is the one that now confuse. “Ah excuse me?”

The woman looks at Taeyeon. She stares right into his eyes. “I’m aware that you’ve been staring for a while since I was at the counter. So, stop flirting with me.”

Taeyeon chuckled upon hearing her words. “Miss, you’re just both overly aggressive and defensive than necessary. I just look at your trembling hand. How long has your hand shaken like that?”

“Why do you want to know? Are you a doctor or something?” She reply, with an arrogant look.

Taeyeon look at his outer self. He didn’t wear his white coat, no wonder the woman seems suspicious towards him. He smile to the woman. “Yes, I am.” While at the same time showing his hospital ID card to her.

The woman flinched. “Kim Taeyeon, neurosurgeon.” She mutter slowly to herself. While Taeyeon grins because he knows now the woman loss of words.

“So what if you’re a doctor? Any problems with me?” She starts talking after few seconds of silence.

Taeyeon then take a seat beside her and began to explain. “Peripheral nerves can be temporarily stimulated to cause the hands to tremble. But brain malfunctions also can be the cause. That’s the reason I was concern to your trembling hand.”

She laughed when listen to Taeyeon’s explanation. “I’m just 27 years old. Don’t you think I’m too young for brain malfunctions?” “Look, I know you’re a doctor, but aren’t you overstepping your boundary?”

He nods and answer her bravely. “You’re right. I think it’s a basic trait that all doctors need to possess.”

“Well what a smooth talker. I don’t need your service currently doctor, so why don’t you just bother about your own self? Seems like you’re the one who need some treatment.” The woman then brought her eyes on Taeyeon’s pants, shirt and finally landed right to his eyes.

Taeyeon understand he looks a bit miserable because he was meddling with his back pain currently. And of course he knows that first impression in important. So right now, his impression to the woman is bad. “I’m sorry if I’m offended you.”

The woman then sighs and get up from her seat, making her way out from the café. Not even 50 metres, she suddenly collapsed. Taeyeon turn his back and quickly help her. The woman had a seizure and Taeyeon try his best to hold her head and the others in the café help him by holding the other parts.

“I need a cushion or something soft to place her head, please!” Taeyeon half shout. A woman then gives her scarf to Taeyeon. He quickly fold it into a shape and place her head slowly.

In this condition, Taeyeon cannot move the woman as she still under seizure attack though the emergency section is right beside the café. His identity also already known by the café worker as he work there.

Few minutes of observing her. Taeyeon asked another help. “Do you have first-aid kit?”

The café worker answered him. “Yes!”

“Good, there should be lorazepam in there. I need it, now!” The café worker then run as fast as he can to get the first-aid kit. While he get it, Taeyeon asked the others to hold her down.

Few minutes after that, the café worker returned back with the first-aid kit. Taeyeon then quickly take out the medication and inject into her. After that, he check her eyes reflex. Fortunately, her seizure seems to be calm down and Taeyeon quickly call the emergency unit. He thanked everybody for helping him before he go.

--

Along with the emergency team bringing the woman to the emergency unit, Taeyeon briefed them. “27 years old, mental stupor. Pupils are 5mm and 3mm. There’s no pupillary reflex on the right eye. It’s suspected to be cerebral haemorrhage. She’s showing the signs of status epilepticus.” They all nods to Taeyeon’s explanation and quicken their path.

“Prepare an OR!” 1 of the emergency team shout and prepare the woman with intubation to stabilize her vitals and will take a CT scan after that. While Taeyeon go prep himself.

--

Taeyeon being informed about the result of CT scan after an hour. He quickly go to the room and take a look at the result. Dr. Goo who was a resident is there in the room, she was the one who take the CT scan. Taeyeon stop his path when he saw her but maintain his straight face. He stare right into her eyes, like giving a warning not to cross the boundaries between them after what happen few days ago. Taeyeon put his hand in his white coat pocket. He then takes out his hand again but something was changed. The resident saw his hand and his finger. He’s wearing a… ring. Yes, his wedding ring. Taeyeon always put it in his coat or pocket. Not that its his wedding ring, but the ring also can build a wall between him and other people especially women. He truly not interested in any woman or anything as he still need to manage Tiffany.

Ignoring the resident, he then sit on the chair and stare to the computer screen.

“80cc is confirmed for the right brain.”

Taeyeon nods upon her explanation and keep silent.

“Um… will you performing a navigated aspiration?” Dr. Goo breaks the silence.

While still looking at the computer screen, Taeyeon answer her. “No. I’ll be performing a freehand aspiration.”

The resident shocked. Freehand aspiration can have too much risk. “What? Doctor… are you sure?”

Taeyeon turn to her. “Yes I am. It takes more than an hour to prepare aspiration. While she has already unconscious nearly 3 hours. The patient will die.”

“Bb-but its too dangerous…”

“Yes that’s why I’m doing it. So cut the talk, contact the Anaesthesiology department and prepare the OR.” This time he get up from the chair and walk out from the room.

“Its’s already prepared Dr. Kim.”

“Good then we’re set.”

--

The news of Taeyeon doing the freehand aspiration is spread to the whole department. Even Sooyoung is shocked of hearing the news.

“Is that rascal crazy?!” He mutter to himself while making his way to the OR hall.

Meanwhile Taeyeon already prepare himself and get into the OR. He monitored the CT scan once again.

When Sooyoung arrive, he saw few residents already been there excitedly looking at Taeyeon. He heard 1 of them asking a question about the operation.

“How will he know where to place the catheter without navigation? Have you seen anyone do this?”

“That’s what doctor did before navigation was invented.” Sooyoung answer to the question.

The residents then bow to him. “Hello Dr. Choi.”

He nods to them and smile. “Whoa you guys were so fast huh.” The residents were just giggling among them and continue to watch Taeyeon.

Taeyeon take a deep breath. He began to sit on the chair. “Place the monitor on my right please.”

He then did a marking on top of the head with a marker. “Scalpel please.”

Taeyeon cut the marked part carefully while his assistant do a suction towards the blood flowing down. He then put the meyerding retractor between the cuts to make it open. Looking again at the scan, Taeyeon wants to make sure the exact location he need to punch the skull. He then drills it confidently and put the catheter in.

“Pull it out and ready the syringe.” He ordered.

“Yes doctor.”

Taeyeon then pull the syringe slowly. Not only the people watching, but Taeyeon also feel nervous. He continue to do the same thing but even after pull it up to the quarter of the syringe, but no signs of anything. But Taeyeon didn’t stop. He remains calm and keep on pull it and press the tube when suddenly he saw blood flow out from the tube slowly. Taeyeon feels relieves. He’s smiling behind the mask and same goes to the people watching upstairs. They’re all praise him and give a big applause upon his success.

Taeyeon then passed the closing to his assistant and walk out from the OR.

As soon as he walks out, the doctors there congratulated him and also praised for his action that bravely performed the freehand aspiration. Sooyoung walks out from the hall and hug Taeyeon.

“Yah you really did it! As always our Taeng!”

Taeyeon smiles to him. He just want to talk when Yoona come to approach them. “Taeyeon oppa!” she waves to him from afar.

Yoona continue to smile and she pat his back, congratulate him. Sooyoung who was standing there frown as Yoona didn’t greet him and only focus on him. “Yah Im Yoona! Don’t just talk to him, I was here too!”

Yoona surprised and turn her head to see Sooyoung who was already mad. “Oh my, Sooyoung oppa! I’m very sorry I didn’t see you. I thought it was a pole so I ignore it hahaha!” Yoona purposely tease Sooyoung.

“YAH! How dare you! Come here you little rascal!” Sooyoung ready to hit her head when Yoona much faster than him. She run from there while half shout “I’m just kidding! Sorry!”

Taeyeon shakes his head while smiling. Just when he wants to take a step back to the changing room, Dr. Goo comes to congratulate him too.

“Congratulations Dr. Kim.” She said and smile widely to him. Her hands grasped tight the mask.

“Yeah thanks to you also for assisting me. Good job.” Taeyeon let out a small smile and walks away to the changing room.

 

MEANWHILE AT GIMPO AIRPORT

Tiffany arrived at the airport and saw lots of reporters and fans already standing there, waiting for her. She let out a big sigh.

“Want to wait first?” Her manager asked.

Tiffany take a deep breath. She put on a shades and wear her earphones, try to not make any contact with anybody. “No unnie, let’s go out. I got this.”

Her first step out from the van led to her fans to scream. Also the reporters, who race to get the best shot from her. Tiffany continue to walk out from the van and walk towards the entrance. She just wear a denim jumper matched with her sport jacket and sneakers along with her clutch, Tiffany walks confidently to the crowds and draw small smile while her manager and security try to make a path for her to walk. She finally stopped walking at the entrance door. Showing her respect and appreciation towards the fans and reporters who willing to come, she bow and greet them.

“Hello everyone, have a good day. Take a good care of yourself, it’s hot today.” She let out a smile and the same time and did wave to the crowd. Tiffany then walk into the airport and straight to the check in counter.

When she’s done with checking in, her phone rings. Tiffany look at the caller and see Taeyeon’s name. She feel hesitated to answer it.

“Just pick it up, we’re going to the lounge anyway. Don’t worry.” Her manager says.

Tiffany nods her head can answer it. “Hello?”

“Hello, hey. I just want to say sorry for last night.” Taeyeon said on the other line.

Tiffany can’t get what he’s talking about.“Huh? For what?”

“Uhh.. about my friends…?”

“It’s okay.” She replied.

“An-and I’m sorry too for not wake you to sleep in your room. You sleep so soundly.”

“It’s alright.”

Hearing her short answers, Taeyeon not bother to ask more questions. So he just stop the conversation. Somehow, Taeyeon feel hurt on how she reply his call. “Oh okay then. I should’ve just let you sleep in the closet if I know your reaction will be like this. It’s not worth it to let my back hurt because of you.” With that, Taeyeon end the call. His tone seems he was frustrated with her.

Tiffany stare at her phone after the call ended. She don’t understand on what Taeyeon said about his back was hurt because of her. She then tries to call Taeyeon again to get a confirmation but unfortunately he didn’t answer. Tiffany thought on what can makes him so mad at her. But it was cut off by the flight announcement announcing for their departure.

While in the plane, Tiffany still thinking about Taeyeon. She did call him for the last time before take off but again, it was ignored by him. Apart of feeling curious, Tiffany try to maintain her focus on the work.