Chapter 4 : STARTER

ACID ft. ALKALINE [HIATUS]

TAEYEON’S HOUSE

When Tiffany wakes up next morning, she found herself awake on the bed. She tries to recall what happen last night as she could remember clearly that her last location was on the couch. Suddenly Tiffany checks on her body and outfits. It’s still the same outfits and she didn’t feel anything different with her body. Still felling unsatisfied, Tiffany then go out and knocks on Taeyeon’s room. Few minutes try to call him, but she didn’t get any respond from him. Feeling a little bit worry, she then open his door. Luckily it’s didn’t lock.

She looks around and didn’t see any sign of Taeyeon. His room already neat, like he’s gone to somewhere. Just then Tiffany remember what Taeyeon told her last night.

“Got your answer? Now please excuse me, I need to sleep as I got morning shift tomorrow. Bye!” She recalls the thing he said to her last night.

Tiffany then close Taeyeon’s room door, she then walk to the kitchen as her stomach suddenly growling. She tries to find for some food in the cabinet when she suddenly saw something being put under a cover. As she uncovers it, Tiffany saw a sandwich and coffee along with a note.

“I’m leaving for work now. Here is your food for being hardworking last night.

– TY”

Tiffany reads the note. She then put aside the note and start to eat the sandwich.

“Did he try to be nice to me? Heh.” She mutter by herself while looking back at the notes earlier and munching her food.

With that, Tiffany quickly finish her food and prepare herself to go out. She already promise to go out with Jessica later on.

--

MEANWHILE AT SEOUL CENTRE HOSPITAL

Taeyeon arrive at his workplace early like usual. He quickly go into his office and grab his things. He then do his daily routine which is check on his patient. Since his last surgery, Taeyeon didn’t get any update about the patient with ruptured aneurysm. As soon as he enter the section, few residents and nurses greet him. There’s a time Taeyeon will reply them, or not he’ll just give them a smile. As he was reading the report at the reception desk, someone approaching him.

“BAM!” Sooyoung surprise him by tapping his shoulders.

Taeyeon flinched upon it and quickly turn his back. “Yah!” he already lift up the files. Ready to hit Sooyoung.

“Hahaha! Sorry Taeng! I was just teasing you.” Sooyoung back off a little bit, afraid of getting a hit from him. Looking at Taeyeon already quiet and continue to read the report from his files, Sooyoung suddenly thought on asking him about disappearance yesterday. 

“Oh by the way, where did you go yesterday Taeng?  I didn’t see you for the whole day. Have a conference?”

Taeyeon close his files. “Nope. I’m taking a leave yesterday.” With that, he just walk away from him.

Sooyoung then quickly follow him. “Yah Taeng, why did you just leave me there? Want to have breakfast at the café?”

Taeyeon smile and shake his head. “Nah I already eat my breakfast at home. You go eat by yourself shikshin. Hahaha.”

Taeyeon quicken his path, he wants to run away from Sooyoung actually as he knows that the guy will ask so many question about yesterday. With Taeyeon few steps ahead from Sooyoung, he left him puzzle.

While being left, Sooyoung keep thinking about Taeyeon who’s taking a leave yesterday. It was all sudden and he feels something weird about Taeyeon who didn’t look happy or at least hype with him. Sooyoung actually notice that Taeyeon tries to avoid him. But what more important now is, he needs to get his food. Sooyoung truly a shikshin indeed.

--

 

For Taeyeon, he manage to get away from Sooyoung and continue his work. As he was walking at the general section, he passed by a boy who look alike like somebody he used to be before. He stopped walking and take a look at the boy closely. The boy got broken arm and still look cheerful.  Taeyeon shakes his head, telling himself that it’s not true. As he want to walked away from the boy, he once again being stopped by someone talking to him.

“Excuse me, are you the doctor I’ve been waiting for?”

Taeyeon turns to see the boy he was observed talking to him. “Yes?” He answer him.

The boy smile. Again, Taeyeon feels like he’s being shot. His face, his smile exactly the same.

“A nurse told me that there will be a doctor come to see me. Perhaps, it’s you?” the boy ask him once again.

Taeyeon shakes his head. “Nn-no. but I can check it for you. Wait here.” With that, Taeyeon goes to the counter to ask about the doctor who suppose to be with him.

After he got the information he wants, Taeyeon going back to the boy. “Your doctor is Dr. Lee Jin Wook. He’s in operation room now. He’ll be out soon okay?”

The boy nods and smile at Taeyeon. Somehow, Taeyeon feels sorry for him and hand him a chocolate bar. The boy look at him and smile. “Take it. You must be bored while waiting for him right? So eat this.”

The boy take the chocolate bar with joy. “Could you open it for me? I can’t open it, cause you know..” He then smile sheepishly while show his broken arm.

Taeyeon smile to him. “Yeah sure.” He open he packet and hand it back to him. Taeyeon want to get back to his workstation when the boy once again stopped him.

“Um hey, don’t you want to sit with me? You said my doctor will be here soon so it will not be long right?” The boy hoping for Taeyeon to sit with him more. Taeyeon gave up and finally sit beside him. He still stared at the boy’s face while he eating the chocolate bar.

Suddenly Taeyeon saw an x ray film being put on the table beside him. He take a look at it. The boy didn’t say anything and just look at what Taeyeon was doing. Taeyeon then put the x ray film under the lamp.

Few minutes after that, he began to talk. “Hm, it’s a severe fracture but I don’t think you’ll need pins.”

“Why?” The boy ask as he feels curious.

Taeyeon take a sit back beside him and said “Because, young bones tends to heal very well.” He then end it with small pinch on the boy’s nose.

The boy nods and thought of something. “Young Bones? Isn’t that s ‘Star Trek Origins’ graphic novel?”

Taeyeon laugh upon his jokes. “Hahaha you bet. What’s your name by the way?”

“Tae-min. Kim Taemin. And what’s yours?”

“Me? I’m Kim Taeyeon.” Taeyeon say his name while showing his name tag along.

“Hey we got a same surname!” The boy said with a bright smile.

Taeyeon smile. “Yes we are.” Feeling curious, Taeyeon then ask him for his parents. “Where are your parents?”

Taemin, who is still munching the chocolate bar answer him. “They’re coming. Both of them work in other city so it will be a long drive for them.”

“So how can you end up here?”

Taemin then explain on how he can have the injury. “I was on a school field trip, and I tripped over my feet. It was right in front of the Kyobo Bookstore Entrance. Of course it was gross but at least I can get sympathy points for that. Hahaha.” He still manage to make a joke out of it.

Taeyeon listen to him carefully and surprise to hear the cause. “I thought it was caused by a more serious matter?”

“Nope. It just a trip.” He smile and continue. “I always tripped over myself. Well, what can I do? I’m clumsy.”

After hearing his explanation, Taeyeon got some theory playing on his mind. So he tries to do some basic test for. “Now Taemin, please follow my finger okay?”

Taeyeon move his index finger left and right, also he change the finger movements after that. While doing that, Taeyeon observe Taemin’s eyes. He notice something.

“You have a nystagmus which is involuntary eye movement.” He told him.

With another curiosity, Taemin ask him. “So what’s that mean?”

Taeyeon didn’t answer his question and just began with the case study. “When you fell, did you hit your head?”

Taemin confidently answer him. “Nope. Why? Do you think I got a problem with my brain?”

Taeyeon answer him. “I don’t know, but nystagmus can be a sign of neurological issue which mean your brain.”

“Hm interesting. So what doctor you are? You seems to know a lot.” Taemin ask him.

Taeyeon smile to him. “I’m a neurosurgeon. Wait here, I’m going to order a head CT for you.”

With that, Taeyeon quickly arrange the CT scan for Taemin as he didn’t feels good with his case.

--

IN CT SCAN’S ROOM

“This won’t take long Taemin, so don’t worry okay?” Taeyeon tries to calm the boy as he afraid he’ll get nervous.

But unfortunately, Taemin’s answer made Taeyeon and the other nurses laugh. “I know, it’s okay, I’ve had two of these.” And he continue after that, “1 more of this and I’ll get my scout badge. Hahaha.” Taeyeon then saw the boy on the monitor.

“You’re funny and that jokes is really funny. Hahaha.” Taeyeon reply to him while still scanning around his head.

“It’s hard to tell as I can’t see you. But I’m guessing that was sarcasm.” Taemin replied. He can’t see Taeyeon as he was laying right now.  

This boy really something. He’s good in joking and he even good in talking. “Why you say that? Do you think I didn’t have sense of humour?” Taeyeon ask him.

Taemin smile can be seen on the monitor. He then reply him. “Now that is funny.”

Taeyeon smile and keep on talking to him. “Do you have friends?”

“Yes of course. I used to be friend with Jackson. And you know the interesting part is? He’s autism. Cool right?”

Taeyeon getting interested in the conversation. “Yeah cool. How’s to have a friend with autism? Is it good?”

“Yeah. He’s a bit weird but super nice.”

“You said you used to know him. You don’t know him anymore now?” Taeyeon ask him as he was curious.

“Um.. he died. Hit by car. How about you? You know anyone who died?” Taemin ask him.

Taeyeon smile a little bit and he give an answer that people never expect. Even nurses in the same room as him turn to him after that. “My brother.” Taemin who hear to his answer apologize.

“I don’t like how dim this conversation be now. Let’s change the topic. So you married? Have a girlfriend? Boyfriend?” As Taeyeon want to answer him, suddenly image of the Ct scan came out. Taeyeon take a look at it closely and what did he saw shocked him.

At the same time, Dr. Lee Jin Wook come into the room after being inform that his patient was taken by Taeyeon to do a CT. “Hey Taeng. What’s up man? Why did you’re giving the fractured arm a head CT?”

“Ssh look at here Jin Wook. He’s not having a common trip but he has a brain tumour behind his ear. See this?” Taeyeon point at the CT scan image.

“Oh my… Let’s get to the parents.” Dr. Lee Jin Wook speaks. 

Both of the doctor then went to meet the parents while Taemin being assist by other nurses. When they meet the parents, they were shocked as Taemin’s parents already aware about his sickness and now insist to avoid any consultation arranged by Taeyeon and other doctor. Taemin’s parents also ask them not to tell Taemin about it. Now Taeyeon feels bad as he needs to lie and hide the truth from Taemin, he’s a good boy and it will hurt him if Taeyeon need to lie to him for the sake of his parents.

Today, Taeyeon got 2 surprises. He got to meet someone that he used to be with before and that someone was diagnosed with something big. With that, Taeyeon continue his day with no-so-happy mood.

MEANWHILE AT TIFFANY’S SIDE

At the same time at Taeyeon’s house, Tiffany get ready after eat the breakfast made by Taeyeon. As she was riding Taeyeon’s car last night, so Tiffany didn’t have her car right now. The solution is, she needs Jessica to pick her up.  They were going to hang out before going to a photo shoot.

Today, Tiffany tries to go out while exposing herself. Means here, she didn’t wear hoodie and mask anymore. She tries to be more carefree and walk around people. Since her problem already solved. Tiffany now wait for Jessica at the lobby of Taeyeon’s apartment. Few minutes of waiting, Jessica arrives and honk at Tiffany who is busy with her iPod. Tiffany quickly get into the car and drives out from the building.

“So how was last night? Did he…” Jessica start the conversation with a tease.

Tiffany plug off her earphone and glare at Jessica. “What? Nothing happen. And don’t start with your ert mind Jung.”

“Awh chill up Tiff. Just want to live up the mood. Can’t i?” Jessica ask her while focusing on the road.

“I’m good, don’t worry. Can we stop for a coffee Jess?” Tiffany already had coffee at home as Taeyeon make one for her but it’s maybe her habit to have a cup of coffee before going to work.

Jessica didn’t say much and just follow her will. They stopped at coffee shop few minutes after that and coincidentally, it’s the coffee shop that Taeyeon brought her few days ago. Tiffany suddenly remembers the incident that day. They were running from the paparazzi. And that is the night Taeyeon brought her to a convenience store. Her daydream ceased when Jessica took her out of the car.

As they reach the counter to order the coffee, Tiffany realise that there are few pair of eyes were looking at her. Also there are few person are whispering among themselves.

“What do you want Tiff?”

Tiffany look up to Jessica. “Just the usual one Jess.” And she start to low down her head again. Tiffany can hear that Jessica is ordering an ice latte for her as it was her usual drink.

As both of them waiting for their coffee, Tiffany saw a few staff who stand behind the counter were talking to themselves. But coincidentally, staffs blurt out the words quite loud until it can be heard by Tiffany and Jessica.

“Yeah she is. She’s the one that being dumped by our Chul Woo.” It then being accompanied by another staff continues the gossip.

“Hahaha serves her right!” the staff then laugh among themselves.

Tiffany put her head down more as she was feeling ashamed by it. Eventually, Jessica who was playing with her phone also get to heard it. Jessica look at the worker and gave them a sharp look. She then say “Excuse me, if you are talking about my friend here, I'm sorry but you should slow down your voice or you'll have to talk about it in front of me.”

Jessica know she shoot the gun right at the target. They were quiet now. She then continue to talk. “Now how? I've heard all your conversations about my friend. Do you want to talk about it in front of me or do I have to talk to your manager? You know, talking about your working ethics and manners with customers.”

Their orders has ready. Jessica hand in the ice latte to Tiffany. But she still waiting for the staff answer. No one dare to answer her. Even few of the customer there were looking at them. “Call your manager out now.” Jessica said. With a cold tone and expressionless,

The staffs then quickly apologize to both of them. They appealed to not be reported to the manager as they were just working there and wanted to cover the cost of their studies. There are also those who take the modelling course, and she wants to be like a both of them .After heard of their explanation, Jessica agree not to report them to the manager.

Before both of them walk out from the shop, Tiffany gives a business card to the staff. “If you have finished studying and want to start a career as a model, you can call this number and say that you received this card from me. Okay?” the staffs receive it and thanked Tiffany for it. Tiffany didn’t mind about what they said earlier, it was all true by the way. But it just hurt her when hear that.

Both of them then walk out from the coffee shop and going to the studio as they have photo shoot and also interview to attend.

Tiffany day starts rough, but it getting better between times. Not only Taeyeon but Tiffany also has a packed schedule. After all of that she have fitting session and Jessica will drive her to her home to take her car as they will not have many schedule together after this. Well, it was her routine. Maybe, she didn’t have to work in shift like Taeyeon, but she work in rush time.

THAT NIGHT

Taeyeon feels relieve as he didn’t have such a tight schedule like usual. Sooyoung did ask him out, hanging out at their common place but Taeyeon reject it and say that he want to rest. When Taeyeon come home, he notices that Tiffany is not at home and most importantly she eats the breakfast he made for her. When he goes home, he can smell a very fragrant smell. Taeyeon thought on it was Tiffany’s perfume. He smile when it smell the scent. It smells really soft and refreshes the mind. The scent seems like rid of the fatigue of the day at the hospital.

Few hours at home, but Tiffany still has not been home yet. Taeyeon didn’t think anything bad will happen to her so he just continue his reading and also research about Taemin’s illness.

As tiffany arrives at home, she saw the study room’s door was open. So, she thought on take a peek in it. Tiffany saw Taeyeon were reading at his study table, he is so focus so she thought he didn’t realise of her return. But she’s wrong, he turn his back when she was on her way to her room tip toeing.

“Just got home?” Taeyeon speak.

Tiffany flinch upon hearing his voice. “I thought you were reading?”

Taeyeon show the book on his hand. “Yeah I did.”

“So?” She reply him.

Taeyeon didn’t understand what she’s talking about. “So what?”

While Tiffany thought Taeyeon was trying to be annoyed with her. “Ugh! So how can you know I’m home? Duh!”

He laugh when he hear to her question. “Hahaha. Yah, sound of your heels is louder than a bomb you know that? Of course I can hear that!” With that Taeyeon going back to his reading room, while Tiffany going to her room with annoyance with Taeyeon.

Sitting on the chair on the long time because of reading made Taeyeon’s back feels hurt. His back has been hurt since a while. Taeyeon didn’t get to meet the orthopaedist yet since he’s busy these days. Since he want to avoid any medication, Taeyeon tries to relieve it with one way. It’s swimming.

He then change into sleeveless hydroguard and trunk. He’s getting ready to swim at the swimming pool downstairs when Taeyeon saw Tiffany taking something from her drawer. The room door is half open so he can see her clearly. Seems like it was medication bag.

“You sick?” he said while stretched out his head into her room.

Tiffany flinch once again upon his sudden talk. “Yah! Don’t you know how to knock first?”

“Whoops. My bad. Sorry ma’am.” So Taeyeon redo his action but this time he knock her door first. “How’s it? happy?” Taeyeon ask her back.

“Ugh whatever. What do you want?” After a second look at him, she just noticed that Taeyeon has change his outfits. And it somehow is exposing his muscles.

“I’m asking you, are you sick?” Taeyeon repeat his question earlier.

Tiffany thought on how Taeyeon suddenly ask her that question. “Uh just a normal back pain. How do you know?”

Taeyeon point out at her medication bag being put out just now. “That one.”

“Uh yeah…” Tiffany reply him and continue to take some pill in the bag.

Taeyeon feeling curious upon the medicine she takes. So he just snatch it from her even before Tiffany got to eat it. “Yah!” Tiffany half scream to him.

“Shut up.” Taeyeon shut her up for a few second. He examine it and make sure the medicine suitable for her. As for Tiffany, she didn’t get to do anything as he was a doctor after all.

Few minutes after that Taeyeon start to speak again. “Did you consult to any doctor about this medicine?”

Tiffany shake her head. “Nope. I just bought it at pharmacy. I was busy so I didn’t get to see a doctor.”

“Do you know what medicine is this?” Taeyeon show her the pills.

“Well, um…painkillers?”

Taeyeon nods. “And you eat it every time your back hurt. Isn’t?”

Again, Taeyeon is right. Tiffany nods upon her agreement to Taeyeon’s statement. Taeyeon then thought on 1 idea. Since they have a same illness, Taeyeon thought that he maybe can help her reduce it by the way he did to himself.

“Um want to try something that can make your back feels good again?”

Tiffany look up to Taeyeon with his sudden question. She was curious about it but at the same time, she didn’t want to join it. “No.”

“Oh come on Fany, I promise that it will not hurt you.” Taeyeon reply her. He just want to help you as he know how hurt it is when the pain strike.

Tiffany heard something different from his mouth. He called her ‘Fany’. That is so different. No one ever call her with that name. But she didn’t bother to ask him or anything, so she just be quiet about it.

“What is it?” She ask him.

“Swimming.” Taeyeon answer her question.

Tiffany didn’t think the way Taeyeon does. In her mind, she just thought Taeyeon want to take advantages towards her while he’s not. “What? No way. You ert!”

“Eh? No, listen here. I know what think. It’s not like that, okay? What I said was true, swimming did helps your back. I don’t have any bad intentions or anything. My back giving me a hard time, just like you. I know the pain behind it.” Taeyeon explain to her.

Tiffany now get what he mean and getting interested with him. “Hm, I want to know more.”

Taeyeon give a small smile. “The painkillers you ate will just stop the pain but not repair it. But with swimming, you can repair your back muscle.”

“How does it can help me?”

“Look, when you swim you tend to go with the water flow. Plus, swimming has a low impact and didn’t cause a further damage to your muscle. Got it?” He explain to Tiffany diligently.

She was satisfied with his brief explanation but gave her many positive impacts. Tiffany now knows that there is a way beside taking medication. With that, she joins Taeyeon to for a swimming.

--

AT THE SWIMMING POOL

As both of them arrive at the swimming pool, Taeyeon put his things on lounger and start removing his bathrobe to reveal his hydroguard. He then walk at the poolside and wash his feet, getting use with the temperature of water as they will have a night swim. Few minutes after that, Taeyeon plunge into the swimming pool. While Tiffany on the other side, still sit on the lounger afraid that people might see her with Taeyeon. She still be in her sleeveless hooded cover up dress looking for anyone suspicious.

Taeyeon, who was in the pool calling her. “Yah, come in here! What are you waiting for?”

Tiffany hesitate at first. But after being convince by Taeyeon, she start to go near the pool. What is Tiffany afraid of is water. She afraid of water. She had a dark history with water a long time ago. But Taeyeon didn’t know about it and just pull her into the pool.

Tiffany then got panic and couldn’t balance herself in the water while Taeyeon laughing as he didn’t know what has happen. Tiffany now tries to swim to upper surface but she can’t as she was too panic. All can be seen was her hands that trying to reach something to cling on. Taeyeon didn’t found its funny anymore when he saw Tiffany is not on the water surface. He then quickly swim towards Tiffany and grab her to bring her to upper surface.

When he reach at the upper surface, Tiffany already unconscious. Taeyeon quickly check her ABC’s. ABC here means, her Airways, Breathing and Circulation. Tiffany didn’t show any sign. Taeyeon continue with CPR. He perform chest compression to her and he did stop few seconds to check on her whether she’s breathing.

“Tiffany! Fany get up!” He said while shaking her body.

Taeyeon then continue the CPR when finally he decide to just give her breath. He already  tilting her head back and lifting Tiffany’s chin. He didn’t try to take an advantage on her right now, but that is what he needs to do right now. Taeyeon just go and give her a mouth-to-mouth CPR. Few minutes of trying, Tiffany finally given a respond.

Taeyeon relieved when he saw her again. Didn’t wait anymore he then lifts her in bridal style and bring her home. Taeyeon ask Tiffany to not talk too much as she just conscious. There was a sense of guilt inside him now. He shouldn’t do that. Taeyeon then thought of something in order to pay it back to her.