Chapter 14 : THE CONTRACT

ACID ft. ALKALINE [HIATUS]

It’s been a week and Tiffany still admitted in hospital. Within that time, Taeyeon look after her so well. But he understands that he cannot freely going into her room anytime he wants. So, he decided to visit her on midnight. Midnight is the only time where there does not a lot of people seeing him. Well at least for public though. For the past days, Taeyeon has been begging anyone to swap schedule with him. He needs to be in night shift or at least on call in order to see Tiffany at night, or else people at hospital will become suspicious towards him. But not all his beg being heard.

“I’m sorry Dr Kim, I need to finish my paperwork and night is the only time I got.” A doctor said and went away.

Taeyeon nods and let out a bitter smile. “Ugh why don’t everybody want to swap with me?! I mean it’s a good deal though. I’m willing to take the night shift that everybody hate ugh.” Mutter himself.

Yoona who was accidentally Taeyeon’s conversation approached him. “What’s wrong oppa?”

Taeyeon turns his head and saw Yoona already standing beside him at the counter. Seeing that there were few nurses and patient there, he dragged the girl to the corner.

“Yoona yah, your oppa got a problem...” Taeyeon then tells Yoona about he’s having difficulties in looking after Tiffany. Yoona listen attentively and began to talk when he done talking.

Yoona thought on something for few minutes. She understands Taeyeon’s situation right now, so she offers her help since she already knows about his marriage. “Oppa how about like this, if you can’t look after Tiffany unnie during the day, then I’ll help you. I’ll look after her from time to time.”

Taeyeon’s glum face became bright and let out a wide smile to Yoona. “Really Yoona yah? You’ll help me? Really really?” he then hugged her while jumping, showing on how happy he is.

Yoona laugh between their hugs. “Hahahaha you’re so happy huh? I never see you happy like this. I mean not this much though.” Taeyeon release the hug and asked her “Am I?”

Yoona nods “Yeap. I’m 100% sure that I never see you this happy. Like really your face seems so bright.”

Taeyeon stop to smile widely and just let out a small smile, tries to cover his happiness. Yoona chuckled and then walk away because she has other tasks to complete. But before that, she managed to wink and make a “hwaiting” sign to Taeyeon, showing her support to him.

But little did Taeyeon knows, someone was there and heard their conversation.

“Taeyeon and Tiffany? What have they got to do with each other?”

------------------

Taeyeon got a call this morning that his father and Tiffany’s father will come to the hospital to visit Tiffany. He automatically feels miserable. Taeyeon did not know how to deal with his father and father-in-law. They must have many questions for him, especially his father. Not to forget, how the wants to answer if his friends saw all of these.

While he was thinking, the door of his room was suddenly knocked on and a resident appeared.

“Yes Kang Soo?”

“I’m sorry for disturbing you Dr Kim, but your father is here, and he wants to see you.”

Crap! Here goes the trouble.

Taeyeon sigh. “Alright I’ll be there in 5 minutes.” The resident then nods and close the door back.

Taeyeon went to restroom to fix his hair and face, want to make himself look presentable in front of Tiffany’s father. He then grab his white coat from the room and quickly go to Tiffany’s ward.

When he arrived there, he surprised to see 4 bodyguards stand in front of Tiffany’s ward.

The heck….?

Taeyeon does not bother them and just went straight into Tiffany’s room but the bodyguards stopped him. Taeyeon didn’t flinch. He understands that his father-in-law is a VVIP, of course there were bodyguards around to protect him all the time.

“I’m sorry sir, but you cannot enter the room.” One of the bodyguards said while staring at Taeyeon.

Taeyeon move closer to the bodyguard, trying to whisper something. “I’m Tiffany’s husband.”

The bodyguards look at each other then look at Taeyeon. They scanned him from head to toe and stop when they say Taeyeon’s name tag. “Are you Dr Kim?”

Taeyeon nods. “Yes, I’m Kim Taeyeon.”

The bodyguards quickly bow to him and apologized and make his way into Tiffany’s room.

Taeyeon greeted both parents and stand beside Tiffany’s bed, tried to look like a normal married couple.

“Ah Taeyeon, it’s been a while. How are you?” Tiffany’s father asked. 

“I’m good, nothing much other than need to attending piles of cases every day. I got a boring life Mr. Hwang” Taeyeon brush his back hair while smiling sheepishly.

The old man expression changed. “Are you still awkward calling me dad Taeyeon?” he asked with a semi-serious tone.

Taeyeon quickly apologized to him “I’m sorry dad! Please don’t think like that.”

Looking at Taeyeon quick bow and apologize, he smiled. One of the things he like about Taeyeon is his respectful towards elders. He let out a warm smile and tapped Taeyeon’s shoulder. “It’s okay Taeyeon, I understand. But I’m sure my daughter can brighten up your days, right?”

“Yes dad, she’s my happy virus.” He answers without hesitant.

Tiffany looks up to him. “He acted so well.”

They then continue to talk among them and asked Taeyeon about Tiffany’s condition. Within the time, Taeyeon being so lovely towards Tiffany. Tiffany knows he just pretending so she plays along. There’s time where Tiffany pinch Taeyeon’s nose after he makes small jokes. Both of parents let out a warm smile upon seeing their children happy with each other without knowing that all the gestures were just acting from them.

“You want some apples babe?” Taeyeon asked Tiffany while caressed her hair.

Tiffany flinch upon hearing Taeyeon calling her babe. “Hm?”

Taeyeon stare into her eyes, signaling that there’s 2 pair of eyes are looking at them now.

Understand Taeyeon’s signal, Tiffany quickly change her expression and let out her eye smile to him. “Y…yeah sure Tae.” Both of them exchanging smiles.

Taeyeon’s father then thought on something. “Min Soo, I think we can expect a grandchild very soon.” He said with a smile.

Tiffany’s father automatically agrees with his in-law words. “Looking them like this, there’s no way I can't disagree with you.”

While Taeyeon and Tiffany shocked with the sudden words. “W…what?” Tiffany said in shaky voice.

“Ani… isn’t it too early dad?” Taeyeon’s turn to talk while staring blankly at his father.

Both parents shaking their head in unison. “Of course not Taeyeon.” His father-in-law said and let out a warm smile.

The elders want to stay a bit longer, but their schedule didn’t let them. Both of them were a busy businessman. Their appearance has already made a whole hospital curious as most of the hospital staff already know Taeyeon’s father as the biggest medical supplier there. But now he appears with CEO of the biggest advertisement company in South Korea made them more confused.

Taeyeon sends them to the car and goes back to Tiffany's room. He then saw the unpeeled apples from earlier.

“Do you want me to peel the apple for you?”

Tiffany glare at him. “Of course not.”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Alright then I’ll just eat it.” He bites the apple, and when he want to make his way out from her room, Tiffany called him.

“Yah where are you going?”

He turns his back. “You yah me? Seriously?”

“What? We’re the same age, lol.” She smirks.

Taeyeon sighed. “Fine whatever. I’m going back to my office, what do you want?”

She pointed at the chair beside her. “Sit.”

Taeyeon stared at him. Although she was giving him order like a superior, but he still obeyed her instructions and take a seat there.

Tiffany rummaging in her bedside table drawer for a paper and passed it to Taeyeon. “Here, read.”

He takes the paper and read the title. “Marriage contract of Tiffany and… Taeyeon.”

“What is this?” He showed the paper.  

Taeyeon was in confusion. Why this marriage needs to have a contract? Why can’t just follow the flow? Isn’t this will make it complicated?

“Can’t you read? It’s a contract.”

“I’m not stupid for not knowing what is this, but I mean why? So sudden?” He questioned her.

Tiffany shakes her head. “It’s not sudden. I’ve prepared the contract since the day I know we’ll be married. I just can give it to you since there’s a lot of things happen recently.”

Taeyeon sigh. “Can’t we just talk at home?”

“Nope. I want to it be settled before I discharged.”

“Do this contract matter?”

“Yes, it is. You are just a replacement, Taeyeon. We are not even love each other. Now our parents already asked for grandchild. I know this marriage itself already a burdensome to you. We just need to stay in this marriage in a year. After everything cool down, we will take our own path.”

“A replacement.” Don’t know why the word can hurt him when it’s the truth.

He massaged his temple while still holding the contract. He reads the contract again. There was a list of rules. Tiffany’s rules to be exact. He reads until the last point. “Don’t you dare to fall in love with me…” he muttered to himself.

“If everything clear then you can write your conditions here.” She pointed at the blank space on the paper.

Taeyeon take his pen out from his pocket and begin to write. He doesn’t take long and pass the paper back to her. Tiffany then read what he writes.

“I don’t need much but just 3 things from you Tiffany. First, please call me if there anything. Second, inform me your whereabouts. Third, wish me good morning and night.”

Taeyeon’s conditions are simpler than Tiffany’s. He doesn't have much ‘don’ts’.

Tiffany chuckled and look at him. “This is easy.”

Taeyeon nods. “Well, that’s the least you can do to make you seem like a wife.” He said sarcastically and walk out from her room.

“Ugh! Annoying!” She’s screaming inside.

Taeyeon on the other side pull out his phone and called someone. He waits for the person to pick up.

“Hello oppa.” The person answered.

“Cancel our plan. You don’t need to look after her Yoona yah.” He said with flat tone.

Yoona on the other line confuse. “Why? What’s wrong oppa?”

“Just cancel it. She can take care of herself.”

“Y…yes alright oppa…”

He then ends the call and go back to his office to attend other cases.

-------------------

FLASHBACK

***TIFFANY POV***

I stare at the papers. Is this necessary? Is this the right thing to do?

Of course it is, doesn’t it?

I should have given him this contract on the first day of marriage. Ugh stupid Tiffany.

As much as you care about me Taeyeon, you’re not my love. You’re not the one I want. Chul Woo is the one, he’s the one I love.

I can’t go with this marriage; I don’t want to develop any feelings to Taeyeon. No. He has bothered himself enough by marrying me. His life changed in the blink of an eye because of me.

In these past weeks, I have seen him. I have seen how he care about me even he’s not clearly showing it. He got the urge to kiss me, to even call me his wife. This is going way too far. I must stop his feelings.

After the day I got a call from Chul Woo, that guy… has been contacting me again ever since. I didn’t give in so easily after what he has done, but I’m not even stop him from calling me.

My phone ringing. I looked at the caller. As expected, it’s him.  

“Hi babe.”

My heart couldn’t help to feel flutter upon hearing his husky voice. He can melt me with just a simple hi, so tell me how can I forget him so easily?

“Yeah?” I answered.

I can hear him chuckled on the other line. “How are you today? When can you discharge, I miss you.”

“Everything is good. I’ll discharge… um maybe few days more?” I didn’t bother to reply last word.

“Tiff, I said I miss you.”

There you go, this guy demanding for my reply. It’s too early to give in. So I ignore it.

He talk again since he didn’t receive any respond from me. “Um… okay then. By the way, we’ll meet when you discharge. Right babe?”

I stay silent for a moment. Thinking of should I or shouldn’t I meet him. Few minutes thinking, I responded. “Right, we’ll meet.”

-------------------

FEW WEEKS LATER

Things changed when Tiffany discharged from hospital few weeks ago. It’s rare to see both of them at home anymore. Tiffany is busy with her event in the day. And yes, she has fully recovered. If she’s not busy with her event, she’ll went out with her friends or Chul Woo. While Taeyeon will left at night for his shift. These days, Taeyeon always take night shift. When his shift ended, he will continue do his paperwork at the office and going home to sleep at noon. The cycle continues every day.

Taeyeon managed to follow all the Tiffany’s rules and so Tiffany. But there 1 thing Tiffany couldn’t do. It is to give him morning and night wish because Taeyeon always gone when she’s at home.

-

And today is Taeyeon’s day off. He stays in the room and only comes out when he is hungry. And by that time, it’s already noon.

Taeyeon walks casually to the kitchen and open the fridge. “ I forgot to refill the groceries. Ugh.” He close the fridge and open upper cabinet to grab something.

“I guess it just you and me now.” He said while opening the ramen cup and fill it with hot water. Taeyeon also takes out kimchi and instant sausages. “Hm nothing could go wrong with kimchi.” He mutters to himself.

Suddenly he heard footsteps behind him, Taeyeon turn his back and saw Tiffany with half of her face were covered with hairs, making he flinched. “Damn! You scare the hell out of me!”

Tiffany who was still half asleep late to realize the situation. “Uh… sorry. I didn’t know you were at home. I just wake up because of the good smell.” He know what she means is about the ramen but didn’t bother to ask her.

“Oh I see.” Taeyeon answered flatly. He then bring the ramen cup to his room.

Tiffany who was blurred, look at him. “Um… Taeyeon?”

Didn’t bother to answer, he just turns to her.

“You didn't make one for me too…?”

He just shakes his head and lead his feet to his room. Taeyeon went out again to take banana milk from the fridge. Between his steps, he said “You will eat too when you meet your boyfriend later. isn't it so?”

Taeyeon remember her conversation last night when he got home. She talks loud enough for Taeyeon to heard about their meeting today.

Tiffany began to feel uneasy. She felt something different with him. He’s not like Taeyeon she knows few weeks ago, which much gentle. He now seems harsh and…annoying.

Feeling annoyed with his replies, Tiffany’s anger started to raise up. She confronts Taeyeon who was just taking his banana milk. “Excuse me, are you jealous or what? Why do you sound so bitter?”

He put the milk down. “Me? Jealous? Hell no. Lol.” he smirks at her.

Tiffany step in front of him. “Then why are you so harsh? It just ramen for God’s sake!” She half shout.

Not feeling threatened, Taeyeon retaliated. “Since when I’m being harsh? isn’t what I was said was true? You’ll eat when you meet him later, so why do I have to make you one? It just wasting my time.” Taeyeon bombarded her with those statements and leave the kitchen.

“Is it me or you who was harsh Fany?” He whispered from behind the door.

Tiffany who was left in stunned, mutter to herself. “You used to make for me even I don’t ask for it Tae…”

“But whatever! It’s not like I can’t do it by myself!”

She then continue to search in the cabinet but didn’t found anything. She opens the fridge, and it’s empty. There’s literally nothing to eat. Tiffany groaned.

Sensing she’s looking for food, Taeyeon stick his head out from his room. “Oh I forgot to tell you, there is no food left. So…… no food for ya! Hahaha!” He then slammed his door, leaving her alone in the kitchen.

She glare at his door. “Like I didn’t know! Ugh such a freakin annoying Kim Taeyeon!”

Tiffany went back to her room and get ready to meet Chul Woo.

-

FEW HOURS LATER

Tiffany went out from her room. She wears a basic black t-shirt paired with plaid blazer along with ripped bluish skinny jeans. She choose to wear minimal accessories and make up then put on black sunglasses to cover her face. With her Chanel flap bag and black heels, it shows her elegance and casualness. She’s a model after all, of course she will slay any looks.

Tiffany knock on Taeyeon’s door.

“Come in.” He said while still focusing on the laptop screen.

She just open and stand in front of his door. “I just want to tell you that I’m going out.”

“Hm.” He just hummed, didn’t bother to look at her face. If Taeyeon was not at home, she’ll just text him and again, he didn’t reply to her.

Just when Tiffany want to close the door, Taeyeon said. “Don’t draw too much attention. I don't want to see your face on the front page of tomorrow's news.”

She glare at him. “Ugh I know!”

“Such a nosy parker. Huh” she mutter to herself, half whispered. Not knowing that Taeyeon’s ears were alert of what she said.

Taeyeon stop staring at his laptop screen. His gaze now shifted to Tiffany. “What did you say? Nosy parker? I don’t care about your business, missy. I'm just tired of answering to our parents.”

Since she got back in touch with her boyfriend, there will be new rumors almost every week. And Taeyeon was the first person their parents would contact, not Tiffany.  She just got lecture by her father, but Taeyeon need to confront with both of them. Not to mention when Tiffany’s rumors burst out on the day he have bunch of works at the hospital. Moreover, their parents keep on putting pressure about having baby. That really makes Taeyeon fed up and sick of it.

“Whatever, bye!” She slammed his door and went out the house.

Taeyeon massage his temple. His head feel hurt just by thinking of it. Suddenly his phone ringing.

It’s Sunny.

“Yes shorty?” He greet her.

On the other line Taeyeon can hear Sooyoung’s bickering with Yoona, probably because of food. That’s the only reason both of the shikshin will bicker about.

“Yah! It just 2cm!” Sunny defend herself.

Taeyeon laughed. “Hahahaha! What’s up Sun?”

“Don’t be such a homebody and let’s go out Taeng. We didn’t hang out since Yoona and I come back.”

Taeyeon look at his laptop. He still got many things to settle. “Uh… I got paperwork to do. Nah, next time Sun.”

“Oh come on Taeng! When will we get together again? It’s your day off, leave your work for sakes ugh!” she groaned on the other line.

“Yah Taengoo you better come here! I can’t stand with your baby sister! She keep ing stealing my food bro! Only you can stop her..! Yah Im Yoona!” Sooyoung scream from behind the line.

“You heard that? I think their head will be dunk into a bucket of chicken if you’re not coming Taeng. Come on! Juniel is here too!” She tried to bait Taeyeon with Juniel’s name.

Little did Sunny know, he really wanted to avoid Juniel. But he thought about it again, if Tiffany can go out with his boyfriend, why can’t he hang out with his ex- too?

“Ugh it. I don’t care anymore!”

“Text me the location. I’ll be there in 30.” He ended the call.

--

Sunny on the other side.

“He’s coming!”

“I told you he’ll come if you use Juniel’s name.” Sooyoung said while munching his food.

Juniel smiled. This will be the first time after many years she will meet Taeyeon again, casually.

Yoona teased Juniel. “Wuu Juniel unnie must be really happy. Her face is so red!”

Juniel cupped her cheeks and couldn’t stop smiling.

 


Pardon my grammar and spelling mistakes! ^^

xoxo