Chapter 5 : PAYBACK

ACID ft. ALKALINE [HIATUS]

Taeyeon still can’t get the incident out of his mind. Is he nearly kill somebody, somebody that he hate to admit which is his wife? He let Tiffany rest after that and decided to take an emergency leave tomorrow but it was not approved by the head chief. So, Taeyeon had to swap to night shift or he’ll not get any leave at all. He cannot swap with Sooyoung as that shikshin will ask him many questions. So Taeyeon decide to just swap with one of the residents.

--

NEXT MORNING

Taeyeon didn’t sleep well as he keeps check on Tiffany at the midnight. He afraid she might awake and need something. So, Taeyeon keep on going back to her room and end up fell asleep in Tiffany’s room.

Tiffany awake after having a very deep sleep last night. Her head feels heavy but she still remember about last night incident. Tiffany remember that Taeyeon pull her into the swimming pool and she didn’t remember well after that. There’s a time Tiffany awake at midnight, but because of her body didn’t feel right, she get back to sleep. Tiffany tries to get up but she stop and surprised to see Taeyeon was sleeping on the floor.

“Did he look after me last night?” Her inner feelings said. But her mind rejects it. “Nah, it can’t be. He must feel guilty for pulling me last night.”

Few minutes of staring Taeyeon sleeping, his body start to move and it makes Tiffany going back to close her eyes, pretend that she still asleep.

Taeyeon check on Tiffany first before he make his way out from her room. Taeyeon put back of his hand on Tiffany’s forehead to make sure her body temperature is normal. Tiffany on the other side can feel a soft and cold hand on her forehead. Taeyeon then look at her face to make sure that there isn’t any changes or maybe swollen. After checking her, he gets out from the room and takes a shower.

Tiffany, at the same time quickly open her eyes when she heard her room door has shut. Her inner feelings started to talk again. “What the heck he was doing? Worry about me?” She keeps on thinking about it until fell asleep again.

After done taking shower, Taeyeon get ready to go to the nearest supermarket. He had to buy ingredients to cook for Tiffany or at least food for her to eat. He left home quietly, didn’t want to awake Tiffany.

While on his way, Taeyeon thinking on any food that suitable for her to eat. He search in the internet and also ask the elders that were around him. Many of them said it’s good to give her abalone porridge as it will gain her strength back. Taeyeon then remember something, his mother always make him the same porridge when he is sick. So he decides to make her abalone porridge but unfortunately, Taeyeon didn’t know the recipe and the way to make it.

But then he remembers something. When there is problem in cooking, aunty Hana will be his life saver. So Taeyeon call aunty Hana to ask her about the recipe, also he have reveal the reason why he want to make the dish for Tiffany. Taeyeon already expect that it will spread to his father and father in-law ears for sure. His father calls him right after few minutes Taeyeon finishes talking to aunty Hana.

“Taeyeon, how can this happen?!” He didn’t get to greet him yet his father already scream in his ears.

“It was accident dad. We were going to swimming and I don’t know she can’t swim. I’m sorry dad.” He explains.

His father sigh on the other line. “I know you didn’t love her, but try to get know about her at least. She is your wife, Taeyeon.”

“Yes dad, I will. I’m sorry.” With that, Taeyeon’s father cut off the line. Taeyeon feels hurt somehow with his dad’s words. He don’t even listen to his explanation. He really didn’t mean it.

--

With that, Taeyeon keep on going to supermarket and buy ingredients to makes the abalone porridge. While on the other side, Tiffany who was at home get out from the room as she can feel that Taeyeon is gone.

“Off to work maybe.” She mutters.

Tiffany can’t find anything to eat as Taeyeon didn’t make it before he left earlier. So she just drink a glass of water to get rid of thirsty. Luckily she just has an evening schedule so she had some more time to rest. Her body still feel weak, so Tiffany just lay down on her bed while scrolling her phone to check for the latest news online. She was surprise to see an article about her. Tiffany quickly click and read it.

“Tiffany was caught with other man?” She reads the headline. “What the heck?”

She keeps reading it until the bottom of the page. There’s a picture of both of them too where Taeyeon was reaching out his hand to her. Luckily it was night, so his face cannot be seen clearly. Tiffany thought the reporters already stop following her, but seems like she’s wrong about that. She passed the article down and continue to read the other article. Tiffany knows that she must be extra careful after this. The reporters will not let her go easily this time. Reading few more articles, Tiffany finally fell asleep again.

--

Taeyeon is home after an hour buying ingredients to make abalone porridge. The first things he do was checking on Tiffany in her room. He saw her sleeping while holding her phone, so he put away her phone and correct her sleeping position to a more comfortable way. Taeyeon then quickly change his shirt and starts to cook. Based on what has been jot down by Taeyeon when he called aunty Hana earlier, he made it as guidance and starts to prepare the ingredients. He also get some help from the older people at the supermarket earlier.

Half an hour be in the kitchen, Taeyeon now have to wait for the porridge to cook. While waiting for that, Taeyeon also arrange the groceries he bought. He also bought some fruits for Tiffany in case she didn’t want to eat his porridge. He also steal some time to continue his readings on Taemin’s disease that stopped last night.

After the porridge done, he cool it down before bring it to Tiffany. when Taeyeon walk into her room, Tiffany still asleep. So he carefully put the bowl down and wake Tiffany up. Her eyes open after smells something near her and she saw Taeyeon sit beside her.

“What are you doing here?” She ask him.

Taeyeon point his finger at the bowl. “I made you abalone porridge. Come on, get up and eat.”

Tiffany look at the bowl of porridge and try to get up but she failed because of her heavy head. Taeyeon, who saw that quickly help her to get u but got rejected by Tiffany. “I can get up by myself. Let me go.”

“Fine then.” Taeyeon let her go and Tiffany’s body also fell on the bed again.

“YAH! What are you doing?!”

“What? You said to let you go. That’s what I’m doing.” Taeyeon reply her with his innocent face.

“Ugh! You’re annoying!” Tiffany half scream beside Taeyeon and nearly want to hit him.

Taeyeon smile. Looking at her babbling, Taeyeon knows that she’s fine. “Shut up and let’s eat. I’ve cool it down for you.”

Taeyeon take the bowl and sit beside her. He wants to feed her but looking at her expression now, Taeyeon just pass the bowl to her. “Here, eat.”

Tiffany looks closely at the porridge and she also smells to make sure there’ll not have another prank. She also checks the texture of the dish. Taeyeon who was there laughing with her action.

“Hahaha it’s a real porridge silly, I cooked it just now. And don’t worry, there’s no poison in there. I’ll not make you die in my house, hahaha.” Taeyeon said while stand up, ready to walk out from her room when he suddenly saw Tiffany is glaring at him now.

“Whoops. Just kidding!” with that, he quickly escape from her room.

Tiffany didn’t run after him and she take a spoon of the porridge then taste it. It didn’t taste as good as it should be, but she knows that Taeyeon should be given some points for his efforts. While Tiffany eating, she suddenly remember that she have schedule this evening and forgot to inform Jessica she couldn’t make it as she still feel weak. Just when Tiffany want to dial Jessica’s number, she heard doorbell.

She stop doing anything as she wants to hear the voice at the door. Few minutes later, Tiffany saw Jessica at her room door.

“Jess? Why do you come here?” Tiffany surprised upon Jessica sudden visit.

“Oh I’m here to visit you of course Tiff.” She said while walk into her room and take a sit beside her.

Tiffany still clueless. “But how do you know?”

“He told me last night.” Jessica point at Taeyeon who was standing at the door, didn’t come into the room as he didn’t want to bother the best friends.

“Huh? How?” Tiffany reply her as she’s hoping that one of them will explain to her.

Taeyeon take a step ahead by open his mouth. He explained that the night on they were going for swimming which is where she’s drowned, Jessica did called to confirm about their schedule but Taeyeon pick it up as Tiffany is asleep after being brought upstairs. Taeyeon can’t help but tell her the truth. Jessica quite upset with him, but she still put trust in him after all as he is a doctor.

Tiffany nods as she was satisfied with his explanation. Taeyeon then get out from her room to give them space to talk.

“I’ve inform the director that you can’t make it to the interview today. By the way. Have you eaten?” Jessica asked while she observing her best friend’s face.

Tiffany nods and she move her eyes to her side table. “Yes I did. And thanks Jess for telling them.”

Jessica follow her eyes and it stopped at a bowl of porridge being put on the side table. “He cooked it?”

Again, Tiffany nods for her question. “Oh my! Don’t you think he is sweet?”

“HELL NO. He make me drown, Jess. DROWN.” Tiffany emphasize the words.

“But he still takes a responsibility though. He switch with his friend just because want to take care of you.” Jessica said. Taeyeon did tell her what he’s going to do in order to repay his guilty feelings.

“He just feels guilty towards me Jess. I don’t care. It his fault.” But in Tiffany inner feelings, she still think that is it true Taeyeon willing to do that for him. Suddenly Tiffany remembered about this morning. Taeyeon was fell asleep on the floor in her room. His swollen eyes even can be seen clearly.

--

On the other side, Taeyeon is getting ready to go to the hospital. He’ll be in the night shift tonight as he switched with other doctor last night. His body ache as he slept on the floor last night. Plus, he didn’t get enough sleep as he keep on going back to Tiffany’s room. His body pain can’t be tolerate anymore, so Taeyeon put some medical patch to endure it. At least for a few hours.

As he was passing by Tiffany’s room, he heard both of the girls were talking and laugh. He feels relieve as Tiffany meet her friends that at least can cheer her up. On the second time he’s passing by, Tiffany stopped him.

“Tt-Taeyeon!”

Taeyeon stop walking upon his name being called. He turn to see Tiffany is calling him.

“Yes?”

“Um… are yy-you going tt-to work now?” She is stutter because she never talk in that tone with him before. That question also awkward for her.

While Taeyeon feels surprised with her question. He never know she had an angelic voice. “Not now, but a few minutes more. Why?”

Tiffany shakes her head. “Jj-just go drink some coffee. You looks sleepy.”

Hate the awkward situation, Taeyeon . “Eyy, you worry about me eh? Gotcha!”

“NO I’M NOT! Yah! Your eyes look like it will be invisible. That’s why I ask you to drink coffee, to make your eyes alive. There’s no way I’m worry about you!”

Now she back to herself. Taeyeon didn’t bother to reply her and just go back to his room. Jessica then slaps Tiffany’s shoulder.

“Auch! The heck Jess?!”

“The heck? Yah, you should at least talk politely to him. He take care of you. Come on, pay some respect to him. He still your husband.”

“I did!”

“For a few seconds yes you did Tiff.”

“It his fault Jess.” Didn’t want to lose, Tiffany keep on blaming Taeyeon.

“Yes, but he takes a responsibility for it.”

That’s it. Tiffany lost to Jessica. She got a point, yes she’s right. After that, both of them talk about other topic and there’s sometimes Jessica ask Tiffany about her marriage life.

--

Before Taeyeon going to work, he stop by at Tiffany’s room.

“I’m going to work now. Do you want to order anything?”

Tiffany shakes her head.

“Are you sure?”

She shakes her head again.

“Really?”

Tiffany, who was reading a magazine look up to Taeyeon. “Ugh! I already say no. what do you want me to answer you?”

Taeyeon laugh. He just do that purposely. “Hahaha I just kidding. By the way, I’ve left my office number and hospital number in case you need anything. Alright see you tomorrow.” Within that, he also not to forgot to leave her with his numbers can she can reach him in case he was not with his phone.

--

AT SEOUL CENTRE HOSPITAL

As Taeyeon walks along the hospital’s lobby, there are some nurses and other doctors greet him. Taeyeon give a smile to them and stop by for a while sometimes. Taeyeon didn’t forget to stop by at Taemin’s room to check on him. That boy still looks cheerful and greet him excitedly.

“Hi Taemin.”

The boy put down his console and turn his face to Taeyeon. “Hi! I was waiting for you for ages!”

Taeyeon laugh upon Taemin’s over reaction. “Hahaha! Why?”

“I want to show you something. Come, sit here with me!” Taemin said while pat the place next to him. Taeyeon then take a sit beside him and wait patiently.

“Take a look at this! My work got feature in the school magazine!” Taemin show his school magazine to Taeyeon.

Taeyeon take a look closely and flip page by page until he saw the art section. There is Taemin’s face along with his grade and class. Beside it, there is a drawing. The situation become quiet for a while. Taeyeon amaze with his drawing skills. The drawing is full of details and the colour shade being use

“Cool isn’t?” the boy ask him cheerfully.

Taeyeon nods to him. “Yeah it is. You’re good in drawing! I should give you a reward though.” Taeyeon cares Taemin’s hair.

Both of them continue talking until Taemin’s parents went into the room.

“Taemin, how many times do I have to tell you? Do not disturb the doctor.” Taemin’s father said.

Taemin’s father then apologize to Taeyeon as his son disturbing his working time.

“Nah it’s okay, I was the one come here to see him.” Taeyeon said with a smile.

This time, it’s Taemin’s mother starts to talk. “He was looking for you this whole day Dr. Kim. I’m very sorry our child here is so excited even though he is sick.”

“It’s okay. It’s nothing big. I’m sorry for Taemin as he was looking for me. I was in night shift today.”

With that, Taeyeon excuse himself to go to his office now as he still tonnes of work to do. He didn’t forget with Taemin to give him a reward after got feature in the school magazine.

--

Taeyeon continue to walk to his office when again, he was forced to stop. One of his residents stood in front of him with a pack of snacks in her hand, prevent he from walk.

“Dr. Goo, can you move aside please?”

The resident shakes her head. She then handed him the pack of snacks. Taeyeon look down at the packed snacks and then he look at her face. “What’s this?”

The girl smile sheepishly. “I packed snacks for you as I know you’ll be in night shift Dr. Kim. I packed some fruits and kimbab for you.” She show it to him.

Taeyeon sigh. His head feels heavy somehow. “Did you pack for anyone else who’s in night shift?” Taeyeon ask her.

Dr. Goo shakes her head again. “No I didn’t. I just pack it for you Dr. Kim.”

Taeyeon don’t even takes the pack of snack from her hand. “This is wrong Dr. Goo. What is you intention actually? Why you give it to me?”

Hearing his question, Dr. Goo keeps silent and not to forget there were some nurses looking at them now.

“Have you finished your research?”

Again, she shakes her head. It makes Taeyeon’s mad meter rise up. “You got free time to pack this food, but you can’t even finish your research? I’m warning you Dr. Goo, your submission left around a week. Better be prepared or you’ll have to reattach for another 2 years.”

Taeyeon walks away and left the resident alone. He noticed that the girl always want to approach him since day 1. He massage his temple when thinking about the residents. Taeyeon rush his steps as he didn’t want to get bump into anyone else. But his intention got cut when he hear someone call his name. It’s not the residents nor his colleagues for sure as he/she call him with his nickname.

“Kim Taengoo!”

Taeyeon turns his back. No one knows his nickname here except for Sooyoung, but he recognize Sooyoung’s voice and it’s not even him.

He saw his best friends stand with a bright smile including Sooyoung. Sunny from Otolaryngology unit or as knowns as ENT Department (Eyes, Nose and Throat). She been away since 3 months ago because she was given off for a special research which Seoul Center Hospital cooperate with an international hospital in United Kingdom. Sunny did a great job in presenting her research about airway inflammations and chronic sinusitis in front of the chairman of the international hospital.

“Yah Sunny ah!” Taeyeon quickly walk towards them. But, there is not only Sunny was there but there someone else more.

Taeyeon also recognize a familiar girl who was standing next to Sunny. It’s Yoona. “Yah Yoona yah! I didn’t notice you. You’ve becoming beautiful huh?”

Yoona was the youngest among them. Few years ago, she went to India to pursue her dream to be a doctor too. Yoona was supposed to be in India another 2 years after completed her studies to be resident in India General Hospital, but now she’s back to South Korea after made application to be resident in her birthplace.

“Just when you comeback? Why it can be like this?”

Sooyoung start to speak. “Sunny came back when you’re on leave while Yoona just came back this morning. You supposed get to see her but since you changed your schedule so yeah.”

“We planned to surprise you, but Sooyoung said you keep on changing your schedule and take emergency leave. Is everything okay Taeng?” Sunny ask Taeyeon as she had the same feelings as Sooyoung.

“Huh? Ahhh nah it’s nothing. Just something up at home that’s why.”

Taeyeon nod in agreement. Now it makes sense. They then continue to talk while going to Taeyeon’s office. Few nurses look at them as they never see Yoona and Sunny before this. They catching up to the old times until Sooyoung brought them to meet his father to report.