Chapter 16: MISERABLE

ACID ft. ALKALINE [HIATUS]

Taeyeon went home and prepared himself after back from the restaurant. He keeps thinking about last night. Thought of seeing Tiffany flash her smile widely with her boyfriend coming in, and there were Juniel on the other side. Taeyeon felt guilty upon leaving her last night. He going to apologize to her later.

After spending 30 minutes to get ready, taeyeon drive to hospital. Luckily, no one page him this morning, so he can let himself sober or he can’t attend his patients later.

--

AT THE HOSPITAL

Taeyeon can’t see any of his friends when he arrived. They probably busy with their work now. As far as he knows Sunny and Yoona were having day shift. Yoona probably will be on call too since she’s a resident. It’s only 11 am and he already at his workplace. He is on night shift today and just came early because he wants to continue doing his paperwork and to avoid seeing Tiffany. He knew that Tiffany will going to talk about last night and he don’t want to hear it.

Taeyeon just want to get out from his office when someone called his name.

“Taeyeon!” she cracked a smile while walking towards him.

Like a telepathy, a person he wants to meet appeared. “Hello Juniel.” He smiles back to her.

The woman now stopped her steps and stand in front of him. Concern about him, she asked. “Are you okay?”

Taeyeon stare her with a confuse look. “Why? Do I look like I’m not okay?” He caresses his face.

Juniel chuckled. “No Tae, I mean you were really drunk yesterday. You even passed out.”

Now Taeyeon understand what she’s talking about. He feels bad when reminded of last night. “Ahh that one. Y-yeah I’m okay. I’m sorry by the way…”

“Hm? S-so” Just when she wants to finish her words, she saw few residents looking at them while walking at the hallway. The hallway is not that big, so their conversation might be heard.

Taeyeon noticed it and suggested something to her. “I think we should talk about it somewhere else. How about coffee? Or you’re busy right now?”

Juniel shakes her head. “I just finished checking on my patients. My next appointment is on 2 o'clock later, so I guess I’m done for now.” She explained.

“So… you’re good for coffee?” He asked for her decision.

She nodded. “Yeah. But I’m going to put on my things first.”

“Alright. Great, I’ll see you at the café then.” Taeyeon watched she walks away to her room. He then locked his office and walk to café.

--

AT THE CAFETARIA

Taeyeon waits for Juniel with 2 cups of coffee. After about 15 minutes, he saw Juniel walk towards him. She takes a seat across him and look at the cups.

“I don’t know what’s your liking, so I used the old trick.” He smiled to her.

Juniel chuckled upon Taeyeon’s words. “And the trick is?”

He smirked. “Decaf espresso.” He slowly shoved the cups towards her.

She looked at the cup and smiled. Taeyeon still remember her favorite. He even remember that she can’t take strong caffeine. After takes a sip of the espresso, she take a look at Taeyeon.

“Seems like your trick worked.” She said and put the cups down.

Taeyeon smiled. “Well, an old trick can’t never go wrong.”

Juniel nodded in agreement. “I think here is better than the club isn’t?”

Comparing last night, this cafeteria right now much calm than the club. “Of course!”

“I think the only crowded and loud place you willing to be is emergency department though. Hahaha!” She started to reminisce their memories before. Taeyeon would always be the first one to go home when they hang out at the bar. And not to forget he also rejected her request to go to amusement park date since it always crowded. As far as she remember, their date always end up in a quiet place like café, library, park and art gallery.

“Ey you still remember it!” He felt excited.

Juniel let out a small smile. “I can’t and will never forget it Tae.”

Feeling slightly awkward, Taeyeon then brushed his nape. “Y-yeah… I also still remember your liking, see!”

They both continue to talk and throwback things when they were study. There’s a time that Juniel asked Taeyeon about their department as she still not familiar with the staff. Within that time, Taeyeon tries as much as he can to keep the conversation natural. He also didn’t forget to apologize to her for leave her hanging last night. He reasoned that he was not prepared to discuss the matter and hoped she did not feel dejected.

“It’s okay Tae, I understand. It’s too early to talk about it.” She said calmly while letting out a smile to him.

Just when Taeyeon want to answer her, his pager beeping. So is Juniel’s. They both look at it.

“It’s emergency department. Let’s go.” He spoke. Luckily he already at the hospital, so he doesn’t need much time. Both of them then get up from the seat and leave the cafeteria.

--

They both quickened their steps. They went through the hospital lobby because it was a quicker way to get to the emergency department. Meanwhile, Juniel has asked her assistant to cancel her appointment this afternoon. At the same time, Tiffany was walking in the hospital lobby, heading towards Taeyeon. She had follow-up about her leg injury. They now walk in the opposite direction. Tiffany stopped when she saw a pair of familiar figures walking briskly in front of her. She turned around and watch them walked away towards the end of the hospital.

Taeyeon didn’t notice that he had passed Tiffany because he was too busy asking about the emergency case over the phone. He also only looked at the phone along his steps, not talking to Juniel.

“Isn't she the woman I saw last night? Why they were together?” She mutters to herself and continue to walk to the consultation room.

--

Taeyeon and Juniel continued to head towards Kang Soo who was writing the report in the file at the counter.

“What’s the case?” Taeyeon asked.

The resident quite surprise seeing Taeyeon and Juniel come together. He knows Taeyeon is in night shift tonight, but accidentally pressed Taeyeon’s code. That’s why he paged Juniel right after it. He thought of messaging Taeyeon right after finish writing the report, but he already here.

“Eh? I thought you’re on night shift Dr. Kim?” He cocked an eyebrow in confusion.

“If you know I’m in a night shift then why did you page me?!” He bared his teeth in a grimace.

Kang Soo brush his nape and smile sheepishly. “I accidentally pressed in your code… hehehe”

While Juniel who standing beside Taeyeon chuckled upon his silliness.

Taeyeon giving him an icy stare and flicked Kang Soo’s forehead. The resident flinched in pain and say sorry to him. He didn’t bother to reply to him as they got case to attend right now, so he just asked him to explain the case.

“Whatever. Shoot it, quick.”

Kang Soo showed him the file. “It’s a 30 years-old male involved in traffic accident with multiple fractures.” He explained.

Both of the doctors nodded to his explanation and Kang Soo continue to explain. “We have taken a CT Scan since he was unconscious. It seems like his middle cerebral arteries is ruptured.”

Taeyeon listen to his explanation while read the patient file. He then passed the file to Juniel. While the resident continue to explain. “And his right pupil dilated about 4mm.”

“How about his vital?” Taeyeon asked.

“Fortunately, his vitals are stable.”

Juniel close the file and handed it back to him and asked more. “The bleeding?”

“It’s around 30cc, Dr. Choi.”

Juniel nodded and looked at Taeyeon. They need discussion due to several factors. The resident then shoot a question to Taeyeon.

“Dr. Kim, will you perform ligation?” He asked since he knows Taeyeon is one of the best neurosurgeons. He’s a genius and even capable to do freehand aspiration! God knows how much he adore Taeyeon.

Taeyeon turn his head and answer him. “I can do that, but we’ll need to discuss after all. Right Jun?”

Juniel smile and nods to him. “Iyup.”

Taeyeon then asked the resident to take a 3D CT angiography for reconstruction of the arteries. It will be much easier to see when they have those 3D scans.

--

After discussion and monitor the 3D scans, they agree to do the ligation. Taeyeon asked the resident to contact Anesthesiology department and prepare the OR. He then went to his locker to change into scrubs.

Not noticing that he was followed by Juniel, Taeyeon flinched when he saw Juniel stand next to his locker just when he wants to take off his shirt.

“Argh! You surprised me!” He said while roll back his shirt down.

Juniel chuckled. “I’m sorry! I just want to ask you something but you’re too fast.”

“It’s okay. What is it you want to ask?”

She hesitated. “Um… c-can I assist y-you?” She afraid he’ll reject it like the other day.

“Hahaha you followed me until here just to ask that question?”

She slowly nods.

“Of course! Why not? Now go get into your scrubs Jun.” He push her to the female lockers beside the room.

Juniel felt happy in her heart. Just like the old days, Taeyeon would always treat her gently. This will be the first time they worked together after their break up. Before this they only perform practical, but this time she could see Taeyeon worked in the operating room and be together with him.

--

Taeyeon finished 4 hours surgery and fortunately it was successful. Walking out from operating theatre, he carried his heavy legs towards the locker room to change his clothes. Juniel was in charge in noted the family about patient’s condition. They then met once again at the locker room. Juniel tapped Taeyeon’s shoulder, making him turn his head to look at her.

“Oh hey Jun.” Taeyeon greet her looking at himself in the mirror, fixing his shirt collar.

The woman flashing a smile. She felt like fall in love once again with him. She remembers that she always fixes his necktie whenever they have presentation back in college. She snaps back to reality when Taeyeon close his locker. Seeing his shirt collar still untidy, Juniel turned Taeyeon's body and fixing up his collar.

Taeyeon was stunned by Juniel's actions. He stood stiffly by her side and let Juniel fixing his collar. She tiptoed as Taeyeon was taller than her and she couldn’t reach the back of his shirt collar.

After finish fixing his shirt collar, she returned to her original position and looked into Taeyeon’s eyes. “Alright you’re good to go.” She smiled at him.

Taeyeon brushed his nape while letting out an embarrassed smile. “U-um thanks…”

Juniel know Taeyeon felt embarrassed, so she elbowed him and said, “Just like old days huh?”

He nodded. “Y-yeah…”

They both then get out from the locker room. Taeyeon came out first and followed by Juniel at his back. Out of the blue, Juniel bumped into someone, causing her to fell down. Taeyeon surprised and turned his back to see Juniel already on the ground. He quickly apologized to the stranger without looking at her and helped Juniel to get up. He held her arms and fixing her white coat that now crumpled.

“Thanks Tae…” She thanked Taeyeon while grabbing to his arms. Juniel get up and look at the woman she bumped into. She also fell down. Juniel then quickly apologized to her. “Oh my, I’m sorry miss!”

“Ah, it’s okay.” The woman said while helping herself to get up. She still didn’t look up as she is picking up her belongings that scattered on the floor. Juniel did not hesitate and immediately helped the woman pick up her belongings. While Taeyeon standing at the side, waiting for Juniel.

The woman thanked Juniel for helping her and while flashing her eye smile, her face is clearly showed. Taeyeon who was looked at them was shocked to see the woman was his own wife.

Tiffany had finished with her appointment a few hours ago, but she deliberately waited in the hospital because she wanted to see Taeyeon. She asks the nurse about Taeyeon’s whereabouts and she was told that Taeyeon is conducting surgery and will only be available in the next 4 to 5 hours.

Tiffany went home first and came back with some food as she knows he might be hungry after 5 hours surgery. She just wants to repay him after seeing what happened this morning. She never thought that Taeyeon was really defending her. Tiffany feels guilty when she sees Taeyeon arguing with his father just because he wants to cover her.

“F-fa… I mean Tiffany?” Taeyeon called her name nervously.

Tiffany’s smile completely fades away. She suddenly thought about how gentle Taeyeon treated that woman earlier. If only she didn’t see him or he didn’t call her name, she might think they were couple.

Tiffany didn’t answer him. She just let out a bitter smile and continue to give him a glare. Juniel who noticed the awkward situation speak up.

“Omo it’s you Tiffany-ssi! I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you earlier!” She spoke.

Tiffany’s attentions turn to Juniel. “It’s okay, Dr…?” She is signaling Juniel to tell her name so she can address her correctly.

“Choi. But I’m comfortable with just Juniel.” She replied Tiffany.

“So you are the woman he mumbled in his sleep huh…” ­– Tiffany’s thought

Tiffany shuts her thought and continue the conversation. “Ah I see. Are you two partners?”

Don’t know what urged her, she just shoot the question straight away. in Tiffany’s mind, partner can have many meanings. So they shouldn’t be flustered if there weren’t anything.

 “P-partners? N-no we just…-” Her words got cut off by Taeyeon. “Yes. We are partners.”

His answer just got Juniel’s heart drop and so is Tiffany. She feels hurt somehow when he admits they were partners.

“In work. We are partners in work. Right Jun?” Taeyeon smirked to Tiffany and move his eyes to Juniel. He knows he has fooled Tiffany.

Juniel feels being toyed by him. Taeyeon made her put hope in their love again. But she understands that maybe Taeyeon didn't do it on purpose. “Y-yeah… we are colleagues.”

Tiffany felt relieved when Taeyeon said they are just colleagues. But she still wonders why Taeyeon mentioned Juniel's name in his sleep. But wait, why does she need to feel relieved? It’s not like she likes Taeyeon, right…? *author smirks

“So what’s bring you here?” Taeyeon asked her.

“Ah I have appointment regarding my injury. So, I’m thinking on stopping by your office.” She explained everything, excluding the part where she waited for him for hours.

Taeyeon was a bit shocked by Tiffany's statement. He did not expect that Tiffany would meet him in the office in such a situation. After all, he didn't think there was anything they needed to talk about. So why she really wants to meet him?

“Oh really?”

“Yup. Oh and your dad also asked me to give this to you.” She said while showing the bag she was holding.

Juniel who was standing next to Taeyeon just watched them both. They both look close as their parents were friends. Otherwise, Taeyeon's father would not come to visit Tiffany in the hospital few weeks. That is enough to prove that they were more than just business associates.

“I've never met Taeyeon's father even when we’re together before. But she already close to him… I guess that is why Taeyeon took so much care of her before…” She mutters to herself while remembering the scene she saw before.

Juniel had seen Taeyeon enter Tiffany's room before. After that, he was seen frequently entering her room, bringing her food. And every time she wants to ask Taeyeon, there must be something prevented her from do to. Like right now.

 

Taeyeon feels confused. What could his father give him? His thought stopped when he saw people started looking at them. Tiffany can't be seen here, or he might need to give a second statement to the press.

“Ah by the way Fany, you shouldn’t be here for too long. People might recognize you. Let’s go to my office.” Taeyeon casually hold her hand and walk away from there but stopped when he thought about Juniel.

Taeyeon turn around. “Before I forgot, you’ve finished your shift right Jun? Thanks and good job for today. See ya!” He waved and back to hold Tiffany’s hand again.

Juniel just saw them both walked away. She just nodded to Taeyeon and left. She saw how easy Taeyeon grab Tiffany’s hand, while he just held her wrist at the club before.

“Hm I just want to invite him for lunch. Maybe next time…” Juniel mutter to herself and make her way to her office to get her things before going home.

Juniel is still thinking about how close Taeyeon with Tiffany. There is no way they could be close just because of their family. The last time she remember, Taeyeon has no acquaintances in the entertainment industry because that is not his interest, and he also does not have many friends. Only those who are there are his friends. Seeing Taeyeon able to hold Tiffany’s hand casually makes Juniel think, do they actually more than just a friend?

--

Taeyeon lead Tiffany to his office and look around before unlocking his office door. He just wanted to make sure there is no people see them together. When there someone passes by the hallway, Taeyeon will cover her with his body. By that time, he still didn’t let go her hands. After feeling sure there were no one following them, they enter Taeyeon’s office. He quickly locks the door and put the window blind down.

“Yah.” Tiffany speaks.

Taeyeon look at her blankly. “What?”

Tiffany brought her eyes down, toward their still-held hands.

Taeyeon followed her eyes and immediately released the grip after realizing that they were still holding hands.

“Why don't you let it go yourself? Or you want to take advantage of me? You know, so you can hold my hand longer huh?” Taeyeon let out a coy smile.

Tiffany’s eyebrows furrowed when hear his words. “Ugh says the one who grabs my hands first. Lol.”

Taeyeon take seat in front of her while said “It just because I want to drag you away from there okay!”

“I can walk by myself if you tell me though.” She said while flips her silky hair.

Taeyeon groaned. He knows he already loss to Tiffany. “Whatever, woman always right after all!”

Tiffany smirked knowing that she’s winning. She then put a bag on his coffee table. “Here.”

“What is this? Since when you met my dad? I thought you with your friend?” He shoots the question.

Tiffany sighed. “Stop questioning will you? Just open it!” she ordered.

Taeyeon followed her order and open the bag. It reveals a few food containers contained side dishes, soft tofu stew and rice. He look at Tiffany. “My dad gives all these?” Taeyeon feels weird as these would not the things that his father would give him out of nowhere. Not even Aunt Hana.

Tiffany laugh. “Of course not, silly. What do you think your colleague will say if she knows that it was from me. Duh. You really want us to be exposed didn’t you?” She glared. Tiffany Hwang indeed terrifying when her eyes working.

“Of course not! But why?” He asked, feeling curious about her sudden kindness.

“Why what?” Tiffany replied as he removed the food container from the bag and placed it on the table.

“These.” He pointed at the food containers.

“A-ahh it’s nothing! I just thought you must be hungry after surgery that’s why.” She opens the food container one by one and arranged it in front of Taeyeon.

“Hm… this is suspicious… you cook for me so sudden. Hm… is this even edible?” He pointed at the tofu stew.

Tiffany’s eyes became wide, and her eyebrows curved. “Fine then don’t eat it!” She closed the food containers and put it back into the bag but was stopped by Taeyeon.

Taeyeon hold her wrist, preventing her from taking the food. “Aish, I was just kidding! I’ve never seen you cook before, that’s why. I’ll eat it, give me the food back.”  He took a spoon and scooped up the stew with rice. He even arranged the side dish on the spoon carefully. Now he got a mountain of rice, tofu, and kimchi on his spoon. Just when he wants to feed himself, he stopped. “But seriously Fany, you aren’t trying to kill me… right?”

Tiffany, who had been excited to get Taeyeon's reaction stop smiling and shoot him a glare. “Tease me again, and I’ll pack this so-called inedible food and go home. For real this time.”

“Alright alright I’m sorry okay? Here, look.” He feed himself. Taeyeon suddenly felt something. Something he used to taste on his taste buds. The taste of this food seems like his mother’s cooking. It wasn’t completely the same, but he could taste through the condiments and flavor. Since his mother passed away, only 1 person can emulate his mother’s cooking, it was Aunt Hana.

“Where did you bought this?” He asked. He would go the restaurant every day just to taste it.

“Bought? I cook it myself for God’ sake! You really don't trust me don’t you?” She assures him with staring right into his eyes.

“Nn-no it’s not what I mean to. It just… it nearly same as my mom’s cooking…”

Tiffany was shocked to hear his confession. She never thought her first dish would evokes his memories. She take a look at him. Taeyeon already hang his head low and put down the spoon.

“Um I’m sorry if my food made you sad... I just followed the recipe given by Aunt Hana…” She explained.

Taeyeon look up to her and let out a small smile. “It’s okay. You called Aunt Hana just because of me? Uwuu…” He smirks.

There he is, going back to be a jokester.

Tiffany slaps his shoulder. That’s it, she’s done with him. Hopefully, the slaps will bring him back to his nature.

-----------------

FLASHBACK

Tiffany returns home after learning that Taeyeon is still in the operating room. She thought of wanting to do something for him, but she doesn’t know what Taeyeon like. Tiffany wanted to make something to show her sincerity, so she intends to cook for him. But, what’s his favorite food?

Tiffany thought to ask someone, but to whom? She doesn't know any of Taeyeon’s friends. She wants to call Yoona, but she doesn't have her contact number. Does she need to contact her father-in-law just to ask about her husband’s favorite food? Sitting still for 10 minutes, Tiffany then suddenly remembered something. Aunt Hana!

They exchanged phone numbers on their wedding day few months ago. Just in case she has any questions or problems with Taeyeon, she can call Aunt Hana. She then dialed her number. After a few rings, Aunt Hana answered the call.

“Hello?” A warm voice greeted her.

“Hello Aunt Hana? It’s me Tiffany.” She introduced herself.

“Ah Tiffany. Is there anything? Are you okay?”

“Yes I’m okay. Um… I just want to ask you something, it’s about Taeyeon…”

Aunt Hana on the other line has already feels nervous. Are both of them having problems?

“Taeyeon? What is it Tiffany?”

“Um… do you perhaps know… umh-his fav-favorite food? Or is there anything he prefer to eat?” Tiffany asked the question nervously.

Aunt Hana chuckled on the other line. “Aigoo… I thought you had some serious questions about him, Tiffany.”

Aunt Hana is not like other aunts. She’s cool and supportive towards them. She knows how busy they were, and maybe this is the beginning for them to be close as Tiffany were making efforts for him today.

To answer her question, Aunt Hana explained to her briefly. “Taeyeon is not a picky eater. He usually eats everything being cooked. But there’s something he would prefer, regardless of any fancy food out there.” Taeyeon really adore his mother’s cooking, even though it was just a rolled omelet.

“And that is?”

“His mother’s cooking.”

Tiffany went silent. How could she possibly cook exactly like his mother? Aunt Hana’s answer had left Tiffany confused.

Not hearing any response from Tiffany, Aunt Hana understood that maybe right now the young woman was looking for a way how to cook like Taeyeon’s mother.

“Tiffany? Are you there?”

Awakened from her silence, Tiffany replied. “Ah I’m sorry Aunt Hana. I was… thinking.”

Aunt Hana smiles on the other line. “Oh don’t worry Tiffany, I have the recipe. I can give it to you.”

Tiffany jump in joy. “Really Aunt Hana?!”

They then turned off the call. Aunt Hana has sent a list of ingredients to Tiffany. She then immediately headed to the nearby supermarket. Throughout her time there, Aunt Hana has guide and assisted her in selecting ingredients through phone calls. For steps to cook and prepare ingredients, Aunt Hana has made a video call to her since she has something do and can’t come to their house. After 2 hours, Tiffany finished preparing the meal and thanked Aunt Hana for helping her. She has promise to visit and learn to cook from her next time.

-----------------

Taeyeon continue to eat happily. Tiffany smiled at his behavior. She didn’t know that Taeyeon could be a talkative person. There were times where he would talk about his mother’s cooking while munching his food, making few grains of rice stick on the edge of his lips.

As if someone was pushing her hand away, Tiffany casually wiped Taeyeon’s lips with her thumb. Taeyeon flustered with Tiffany’s sudden action. He look at her with blank stare.

“You eat like a kid. See?” She showed him the rice grains.

Taeyeon ignored her words and continued to munch his food. In the blink of an eye, he had emptied all the food containers. He wiped his mouth and drink a glass of water spared in his office. Taeyeon then packed up and put all the food containers back into the bag.

“Um t-thank you…” He muttered the words and handed the bag to Tiffany.

“What? I can’t hear you?” Tiffany smiles and purposely .

Taeyeon sigh. “I said thank you.” He repeat the word.

“Sorry, what?” She showed him her eyes, pretending to not hear his word.

Taeyeon get up from his seat and sit next to Tiffany. “Aish! I said thank you for the food!” He half scream to her ears. “A-and t-thank you for cc-cook for me.” This time he turns down his voice and mutter the words, while stammering.

Tiffany smiled contentedly at being able to tease Taeyeon. She took the bag from his hand and get up, walk to his door.

--

Taeyeon escorted Tiffany to her car and back to her office. On his way, he was called by staff nurse from VIP units. Early this week, Taeyeon has been instructed to attend a case involving a minister. The case is not even involving neuro, yet he personally requested Taeyeon to attend the case as the minister knows his father.

The minister just had herniated disc problem, and now he’s complaining to have headache. He just prescribed diclofenac injection to the nurse to ease the pain but here she is, calling him again.

Taeyeon took out the phone from his pocket and answer it. “Hello?”

“Dr. Kim! The minister is having a severe headache! His blood pressure is 170 over 100, you should come quick!” The nurse sound panic.

The nurse continues explaining the condition of minister but Taeyeon seems not to hear it. His head suddenly felt heavy, as if a rock had hit him. His vision also became blurred and he could not hear clearly. He was standing in the middle of the hospital lobby, where a lot of people passing by him. Taeyeon cannot help but to close his eyes to regain his clear vision.

“Dr. Kim? Do you hear me? Please come quick!” Again, she hear no respond from Taeyeon. The nurse then end the call.

Few minutes after that, his head no longer in pain and everything is back to normal. As if nothing had happened. Taeyeon felt weird how his phone could be in his hand.

“When did I take out the phone?” He mutters to himself and goes back to his room.

--

FEW HOURS LATER

Taeyeon was writing his paperwork when Sooyoung suddenly barged into his room. The door open and revealed Sooyoung’s face. He was mad at him.

“Yah Kim Taeyeon!” He shouted. Even the residents behind him startled with his voice.

Taeyeon who was typing on his laptop look up to Sooyoung. “What do you want? Can’t you see I’m working on my paper Soo? We can go eat later, now go back to your room.” He assumed that Sooyoung come to barge into his room for food. Well what more he needs from him other than food?

Taeyeon still didn’t notice about Sooyoung’s mad face. Sooyoung’s mad meter rising up. He went straight to his chair and grab Taeyeon’s caller. His grab made Taeyeon slightly lifted from his seat.

“Yah! Are you crazy?! What are you doing?!” Taeyeon screamed. The residents try to hold Sooyoung but with his long arms, he managed to stop them.

The tall man stares right into his eyes. “You’re the one who’s crazy Taeng! Where the are you?!”

Didn’t get what he means, Taeyeon replied him. “Where what? I didn’t go anywhere! I’m just here working on my paper!”

Sooyoung slammed him back to his seat. “Then why don’t you answer the calls?!”

“Calls? What call?”

“Don’t play dumb Taeng! The nurse from VIP unit just ing called you!”

The VIP unit? Taeyeon didn’t recall receiving a call from them.

“What? No I didn’t receive any calls from them. Why? What happen?” He insisted.

Sooyoung’s anger flared up. He never thought that Taeyeon would be unprofessional like this. He was shocked when the nurse from VIP unit called him because they’re not able to contact Taeyeon.

“Are you ing kidding me Taeng?!” Sooyoung questioned him.

“I’m not ing kidding with you Soo. I got not time for that and I’ve said I never receive any calls from that unit!” He insisted.

Sooyoung covered his face with his palm. He take a seat on Taeyeon’s sofa and let out a deep sigh. He asked the residents to get out, leaving them alone. Sooyoung explain to Taeyeon about the situation, and he was beyond shock when he heard about it.

“What?!” Taeyeon screamed in shock when he heard that the minister passed out and they discover an active tumor in his brain and performed an emergency surgery.

Sooyoung’s expression still stiffed. It’s rare to see him goes mad but when he does, he really going all out. After taking over the case, Sooyoung was called by the director of the hospital, which was his own father, to ask about the matter. Sooyoung couldn’t answer because this thing was going out of control and they themselves were shocked by Taeyeon’s behavior. This can tarnish their reputation as one of the best hospitals in South Korea. Moreover, this was a about an important person in Korea. Now, they were trying their best to make sure this news does not leak to the public and media.

Sooyoung just want to open his mouth when Taeyeon’s phone ringing. It was from the director secretary. He answered it and make his way out from his room, leaving Sooyoung alone.

--

AT THE DIRECTOR OFFICE

Taeyeon take a seat facing with the hospital director. He look at the director nervously.

“The minister was under your supervision right?” The director starts the conversation.

Taeyeon nodded. “Yes.”

“Then how did this happen?” He questioned Taeyeon.

Taeyeon shakes his head. “I’m sorry I don’t know…”

The director sighed. “Dr. Kim, this is not so you. If only you responded to them, the minister wouldn’t be in such danger.” He said in stern voice.

While Taeyeon still there, hanging his head down, not answering.

“Dr, Kim, tell me the truth. What happen?” He shoot another question.

Taeyeon shakes his head and brush his back hair. “Honestly I don’t know Sir, I was just in my room after conducting a surgery. I didn’t go anywhere, and I don’t recall receive the phone calls.”

“You’re the head of Neurosurgery Department, don’t you think you’ve threatened the whole unit? You’re also a well-known neurosurgeon!” The director slammed his table.

Taeyeon flinched upon his sudden moves and lift up his head. Taeyeon is absolutely convinced that she did not receive a call from the unit. No matter how many times he tried to remember, there would not be a single memory of him receiving a call from the VIP unit.

“I’m telling you the truth Sir. I never got a call. Please believe me.” He defends himself.

The director takes out a phone and show it to Taeyeon. He take a look at it. It’s true, the VIP unit did call him. Taeyeon didn’t believe it and take out his phone for confirmation. His eyes widened when he saw that his call log also showed the VIP unit number. He doesn't know how this happened, but he really doesn't remember anything.

Taeyeon cover his face with both his hand. He didn’t believe this. “I’m sorry Sir, I’ll apologize to VIP Unit and the Minister…”

“I’m sorry Dr. Kim we still need to discuss with the disciplinary committee for the necessary action.”

Taeyeon nodded in silence. This incident has made his credibility as a doctor have been questioned as well as his negligence in dealing with patient.

He then went out from the director’s office and went back to his office. The director has advised him to cancel his schedule for today and go home. Along his steps, Taeyeon was thinking what could happen and why does he cannot remember anything. The director was right, this is not so him. He’s not being the usual professional Dr. Kim Taeyeon.

Taeyeon realized there were several eyes staring at him. Certainly, the news has spread to the staff at the hospital. Didn’t want to feel bothered, he just brought his foot back to his office.

Suddenly his phone ringing. Taeyeon look at his caller and put the phone back in his pocket. It was Sunny. Sooyoung must already told them about this. For now, Taeyeon just want to be alone. This is too absurd for him. How can he be punished because of one phone call? Taeyeon reached his office and lock the door. He put the do not disturb sign, shut off the blind window and put his phone in silent. He sits on his chair while staring at his phone blankly.

“What’s wrong with me…?”

--

ON THE OTHER SIDE

“Did he answer?” Sooyoung asked. They’ve been waiting for Taeyeon for about an hour in front of his office. Not knowing that he already back from the director office.

Sunny shakes her head. “Nope.”

“Then call him again.”

“We’ve been calling him like 20 times already Soo! Let him alone first.” Sunny suggested.

“But we need to know the story behind this! There must be something he’s hide from us.”

Sunny slaps Sooyoung’s shoulder. “Be patient will you? If you want to know the story, why don’t you ask him earlier instead of punching him?!”

He flinched. “Yah I didn’t punch him! I just grab his collar okay!”

“I don’t care whatever it is Soo! We must help him. We’re his only friends, and we can’t let him go to the committee.” Sunny worry about Taeyeon. He never do thing like this.

“I know I was just… out of my mind earlier. I also don’t want him to go to committee. It will damage his reputation.”

They remain waiting for a call from Taeyeon while continuing their work.


NOTE : Ligation means the surgical tying of veins through a small incision in the skin to prevent pooling of blood.

 

- Another update! Um kinda long chapter since i'm over my target date ^^ Oh and I apologize for the grammar/spelling mistakes. You know me, too lazy to check >< I hope you enjoy reading it and don't throw bricks at me for writing a lot of Juniel and Tae interaction keke~ hm still curious about Tae though... what happen exactly? Stay tuned!

much love, xx