CHAPTER 12 : BIT BY BIT

ACID ft. ALKALINE [HIATUS]

Yoona still cannot digest of what she heard before. Taeyeon got married and much worst, he doesn’t even tell them! Despite of feels happy, she kind of feel betrayed with him. Their friendship is not just built in a day, it has been many years. But whatever it is, she must understand that Taeyeon will come up with his own reason for not telling them about the marriage.

While Taeyeon still in Tiffany’s room, staring blankly at the floor after the secret got leaked. Tiffany, who knows that he being bothered what happen earlier tries to talk to him.

“Hey… it’s okay. I’m sure she’s not going to break her promise.” Tiffany was referring to Yoona, who made a promise about not to tell others about their marriage.

Taeyeon look up to her.

“Yeah, I know I’m just…” He stopped.

He can’t finish his word and just continue stare at the floor again.

“Uh… you know that you didn’t finish your word just now right?” She asked him.

The silence between them continue after Tiffany’s question not being answered around 5 minutes.

--

 “ how I’m going to face her now? Duh!”

“Why the hell that I’m thinking at that time?”

“Ugh whatever I’m her husband after all!”

“Husband? Did she really think in that way? T.T”

This kind of conversation has been in Taeyeon’s mind since Yoona left the room.

“Um, Taeyeon? Are you okay?” Tiffany breaks the silence after a while.

He looks up to her. “Yy-yeah I’m good. Gonna leave now BYE!” he sprint out from her room.

Tiffany is speechless. “What is wrong with him? Did I say something wrong?”

--

Taeyeon back in his room when suddenly he got a call from emergency ward. Great. Now he can keep himself busy and stop thinking about what happen just now.

While Jessica and Yuri rushed to see Tiffany right after the show ended. Both of them came across the news while checking their social media.

“Do you think she’ll be alright?”

“Yes, she will babe, don’t worry.”

Jessica look down. It is rare to see her being worried like this. No matter how Tiffany make her annoyed, Jessica will always be the first person to be there with her when she in need. Knowing that she will get worried, they wouldn’t dare to tell her about the incident earlier.

Yuri pat Jessica’s hair to comfort her. While Jessica lean her head on Yuri’s shoulder and try not to have negative thinking.

--

MEANWHILE AT THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT

“What’s the status Kang Soo?” Taeyeon ask him as soon as he arrived there.

The resident quite startled with Taeyeon’s sudden arrival and question but still manage to give him a brief explanation. “We have a 21 years old male involved in traffic accident. The patient has multiple fractures. We have taken a CT Scan and it seems like one of his middle cerebral arteries is ruptured.”

Taeyeon nodded. He studies with the explanation given by the residents. “Uhm quite bad. Then?”

The resident seems clueless with Taeyeon’s question. He keeps quiet without answering Taeyeon’s question.

“Ya Choi Kang Soo!” Taeyeon tries to ‘wake him up’.

The residents flinched upon his scream. “Yes Dr Kim!”

“Get yourself together will you?!” Taeyeon shake his head with the resident reaction.

“I’m sorry Dr Kim! I will do better!” the resident keep saying sorry and bow to him.

“Keep your sorry and answer my question earlier. I need to know more Kang Soo, so please.” He sighed.

“Yes Dr Kim! Hh-his right pupil dilated about 4mm. Fortunately his vital is stable. And the bleeding is around 30cc.” He explained in 1 breath.

Taeyeon nod again. “Good. That’s what I want to hear. Good work Kang Soo.”

The resident let out a small smile. “Uh Dr Kim, will you perform ligation?”

Taeyeon get quiet for about 2 mins. “Uhm… we’ll see. I need to discuss with the other doctors first.”

“Ah I see. Alright Dr Kim.” The resident then makes his way out to continue his work.

LATER THAT NIGHT

Taeyeon finished his surgery and fortunately it going well. He walks out from the operation theater with his scrubs on and walk towards the nearest vending machine. Sunny, who happened to walk there too then bump into him.

“Ya Taeng!” she greets him from a far.

Taeyeon turn his head to see the person who greeted him. He smile when he see Sunny walk towards him. Does not even bother to answer her, so he just waving his hand and continue to wait for his coffee.

Sunny give out a weird look to him. “What is this? You just finished a surgery?”

“Uhum.” Taeyeon nodded then gulping his instant coffee that just ‘freshly’ brewed by the vending machine.

And suddenly… “SMMACK!”

Sunny kick Taeyeon’s leg. Fortunately, he managed to save his coffee from spill.

“AACK! Ouch!!” He flinched and furiously scream at Sunny.

“YAAH!!! Are you crazy?!!”

Sunny not even flinched with his scream. She even step in front of him, forcing Taeyeon to back off. “YOU ARE THE ONE WHO CRAZY! Who the hell walk around with their scrubs on?”

Taeyeon looks around. Luckily there are not much people at the area. Just few people that might waiting for their family to finish their surgery and few nurses.

“Alright I’m sorry okay? I just really gonna go and change after drink this.”

“I bet you going to scream out of your lungs if you see any residents wear this outside right?” Sunny said while fold her arm.

“I ALREADY TOLD YOU IM SORRY!” Taeyeon finished his drink quickly and walk away from there.

Sunny laugh. Feels happy to .

Seeing Taeyeon walk away, she asked him. “Yah where are you going?!”

“I’m going to change before you kick my leg again!” With that, Taeyeon walk away from there and going straight to his locker.

--

AT TIFFANY’S WARD

“Are you sure you just slipped off the stage? Hm that is not so you…” knowing Tiffany always professional and efficient in her work, Jessica feels weird with Tiffany’s answer after being asked about how can she get the injury.

But then Tiffany’s phone ringing. She checked it first to make sure it is not from unknown people.

“Hello?”

“Uh… Fany this is me, Ttae-yeon.” Taeyeon on the other line sigh after realize the stupid question.

“I know it is you silly. Is there anything?” Tiffany shake her head and let out a small smile. While Jessica and Yuri look at each other, knowing to know who she talk to.

“Ani… I just finished my shift, is there anything you want to eat or want me to bring from home?”

Tiffany think for a while. About 2 minutes after that, she began to talk again. “I don’t think I need anything.”

“Alright, bye.” With that she ends the call.

Tiffany put her phone away and see both of her friends were staring at her.

“What both of you looking at?”

Yuri give her a stern look. “Is Chul Woo calling you?”

Tiffany surprise to hear that name. “Do you think he can still make me smile after what has he done?” She shot a question back.

“Then who is it?” This time, Jessica barge into the conversation.

Tiffany sigh. “It’s Taeyeon. Happy?” It’s her time to give them a stern look.

Jessica nod. But then, she thought of something. “So, that’s mean Taeyeon can make you smile but not Chul Woo anymore?”

“Wow this is interesting!” Yuri said.

“If yes then so what? At least he did not cheat on me. Rr-right?”

The couple simultaneously nod to Tiffany’s answer.

Soon after that, they heard someone knocking the door. Yuri just get up to open door when the one who knock already open it by himself.

Taeyeon surprised to see the couple and greet them warmly. “Oh, I’m sorry! I didn’t know you guys are here. Should I leave first?”

“No no you don’t have to! Come and join us!” Jessica said while pointing at the chair beside Tiffany’s bed.

Taeyeon walk into the room and sit where she’s pointing at.

“Do you think her injury is serious?” Yuri tries to loosen up the situation.

Taeyeon get up and take a look at Tiffany’s ankle. “It is swollen and I can see some redness on it. Can you walk?” He asked.

Tiffany shakes her head. “I can’t even stand.” Suddenly he recalls on how he managed to catch her earlier today. “Ah sorry, I forgot. What about the result of your x-ray?”

“The doctor said that there is no fracture. But they want me to stay because they want to run other test.”

Taeyeon nodded to her explanation. “That’s it? Nothing more?”

“Yeah…”

Taeyeon then walk out from the room and tries to find the resident responsible for her case. Those people in the room were clueless.

Few minutes after that, he drags a resident back into the room and let him faced Tiffany’s leg.

“Tell me what you see there.”

Tiffany can hear his tone changing. To a scary one. Even his eyes look different. The couple also keep silent.

The resident look down.

“I don’t have much time. Explain to me what you see.” Taeyeon repeat again.

“Pp-patient’s right ankle is swollen. X-ray has been done and there is no fracture detected. Also… her ankle is red.” Realizing his mistake, the resident apologizes to Taeyeon and Tiffany. “I’m sorry Dr Kim! I’ll try harder! I’m sorry!”

Taeyeon drag the resident away from them and talk to him. 

“No matter how small the cases are, patient is our priority. Regardless their standard of living. I know you got much more serious cases out there but she is your patient, your responsibility. Be a doctor does not always about medical terms or research paper. Use your sense.” He said.

But then a doctor come in and unfortunately it’s his long time enemy, Nichkhun.

“I heard you mess with my resident?” He asked. Nichkhun has been known as a popular doctor as he has a good face and super friendly. But not with Taeyeon. If this hospital has an award for someone like him, it will be ‘The most lovable doctor in Seoul Centre Hospital’

“Sorry, mess you said? I can mess with you for real here if you want.” Taeyeon replied with a deadly serious look and tone.

Suddenly the resident barge into the conversation. “Umm… ii-it is my fault. I was careless. I supposed to give the patient gel pack and also put on the cast when the swelling down.”

Taeyeon give Nichkhun a smile to shows that he’s winning. “See? He mess it up by himself.”

The resident continue to talk. “There are many cases coming in today until I forgot to check up on the patient. I’m sorry!” The resident then keep on apologize to the doctors and Tiffany.

“You.” Nichkhun point at the resident. “Attend this patient and meet me in my room. And my apologize to miss Tiffany for the careless action by my staff.” Nichkhun bow then make his way out from the room.

--

The resident get out from the room after finished put a cast on Tiffany’s ankle.

Taeyeon check the cast then said to her “Don’t move your leg too much. The cast still wet. I’ll ask nurse to change your bedsheet okay?”

Without answering, Tiffany just nods to him.

Taeyeon look at his watch. His shift ended 2 hours ago but he still not going home. He need to sleep or at least take a bath to continue his shift tonight. Yes, Taeyeon is on call tonight as there were short of staff.

“I need to go home first. I’ll come back tonight to check on you okay.”

Don’t know what urge him, but Taeyeon casually kiss Tiffany’s forehead and bit goodbye to the couple then make his way out from the room.

--

Jessica and Yuri who witnessed the scene is speechless.

“What just happen…? Did I see he kk-kiss her?” Jessica said.

“I don’t know…” Yuri responded.

Tiffany, who was being kissed by him 2 times today is frozen too.

On the outside, Taeyeon talking by himself while walking out from the building.

“Why did I do that? Argh just it off, I don’t care!”

-- END OF THE CHAPTER