Nine

Every Day with You

Sehun is doing some warming up with the team as the match is going to begin, he takes a glance at the cheers line. He finds Haewon chatting with her other friends but then catch his glance and just smile at him. He smiles backa and goes back to focus on the warming up. As he walks back to the line, he sees Jaehyun who just staring at Haewon from his side of court. Questions linger in his mind but he one thing he’s sure of is that Jaehyun boy isn’t someone who leaves a good memory in Haewon’s mind. The way she looks at the other male earlier is not someone that glad or happy.

“Sehun!” Jongin says as he throws the ball to Sehun who already in front of the ring again, he quickly catches the ball and throw it to the ring while running to the other side of the ring to pass it to another team member.

“What was that?” Jongin who is standing right in front of him asks, Sehun look at the tan male with furrowed brows.

“You was thinking about something right? Your eyes went to another side of the court,” Jongin always know how to tease his mate.

“How can I ever lie to you? You know everything,” Sehun groans in joking manner while his mate laughing at him. “Oh, honey. You could never escape me,” Jongin jokingly flirt with him that makes Sehun quickly slaps his arm.

A single whistle stops everyone and each team goes back to their bench, time for the final strategy talk with the coaches.

“Remember! We’re doing 1-3-1, keep your position and make sure to keep your head and eyes to the game. Do your best!”

The team nods at their coach and the starter are getting ready to the center of the court. Coach Kwon hold Sehun’s arm and whispers, “That Jaehyun boy is your main concern, Sehun. Your game is slightly higher than him but you’re the only one that I’m sure can handle him.” Sehun nods as the coach pat his back.

“Good luck, brother! I’m sorry I made you play the whole match,” Minwoo says as the captain sits in the bench with bandage around his leg.

“It’s okay, just pray for us!” Sehun says as he joins his other team mate to the center of the court. Minwoo waves at him while screaming to support his team.

“Let’s do this,”

Sehun says to his teammate and they start to shake hands with their opponent before the referee throws the ball to the air and Sehun quickly tosses the ball to his teammate that is standing behind Jaehyun.

 


 

“Do you know Sehun’s nickname during junior high school?”

Jisoo asks Haewon while watching the match from the side court. Haewon looks at her and shakes her head.

“Spider-hand. Once he got the ball, it won’t let go unless he does.”

Jisoo nods her head towards Sehun who is dribbling the ball and passes it to a senior who is standing right near the ring. Hanhwa’s team easily scores the first point in the game. The crowd cheers and the mood starts getting hotter.

“Jaehyun isn’t going to let it pass, he always break the first point right?”

Eunyoung mutters and Areum nods. They watch the game as the point adds up, one catching another. Time flies fast as the second quarter ends already. It means that the cheerleader teams have their time to cool down the atmosphere with their routines. First up is the opponent’s team.

“This is the team that work with the professional choreographer?”

Miyoung asks her friends, other sophomores. “Waste their money and her time,” Miyoung says again and the whole team laugh together.

“Good luck,” Sehun says from his bench to the cheerleaders but actually only meant for Haewon. “You did great,” Haewon says to him and he just laughs. Miyoung calls the girls and they all run to the center of the court.

While doing her routine, Haewon could feel Jaehyun looking straight at her and watching her moves. Things that would made her feeling all funny with butterflies in her stomach. But it was all in the past. He changed from someone she cares about the most into someone who’ll she avoid. He was her comfort other than her friends, he always treat her nicely and they do quarrel a lot. That makes sense after her said that he only think of her as his sister.

Uh yeah.

Just a couple minutes later, Haewon already back in the side court as the officials blow their whistle and try to gather both team that are still discussing things with their coaches. Two officials come to each team and they finally get in the court again. The third quarter starts, the crowd cheers them even luder than earlier quarters.

“Third quarter people! Hanhwa is leading with 34-29! Shall we see how the Panthers are going to beat the Lions or are the Lions are going to shove their claws to the Panthers?!”

The crowds are getting crazy and shouting could be hear around the place. Haewon watches as Sehun moves his arm to the side to give a sign to his teammates and they quickly passes the ball to one another to the ring they aim for. Suddenly Sehun is already standing near their intended ring and easily scores a point as soon as he got the ball in his hand. He high fives with his teammates and run to their ring as Jaehyun starts to dribble the ball from his side of the court.

Haewon has watched Jaehyun plays for years, she knows his moves. Not in a creepy way, she’s an observant. Jaehyun dribbles his ball while looking for a way in through Hanhwa team, he was known for his fast legs game. He looks around and decides to pass the ball to the tallest player from Hyundai. Someone from Hanhwa leaps to take the ball before quickly dribbles the ball to the other side of the court and Sehun quickly run to match his pace as he passes the ball to Sehun. From a three point area, he quickly shoots the ball because the defender in Hyundai’s side is standing right in front of the ring. If he fails while shooting the ball from a close range, that player could easily take the ball and passes it to his teammates.

Crowds cheer as the three point shoot makes it to the ring and three more points added to Hanhwa’s score. Haewon smiles and claps along the other girls. She knows he could play but she didn’t realize he is that good.

“He’s really something,” Jisoo remarks and Haewon nods, she just can’t believe that the person running around the court is the same person who asked her out a couple hours earlier or someone who accompanies her while shopping a couple days ago.

The game goes on and Hanhwa wins the game as expected. The jv players are on fire as soon as they play in the court. Somehow, the older player feels proud that they have an excellence bunch of dudes who love basketball.

 


 

“So, you’re going out with him today?”

Areum raises her brows at Haewon who just finished changing her clothes. Haewon chuckles while keep tidying up her stuffs, “You said I should give him a chance, that he’ll be different.” she says. Her friends let out a whistle while also tidying their clothes and shoes.

“He must be, he should be different.” Jisoo adds while nudging her shoulder.

Haewon just keep smiling and finally finished all her stuffs, she closes her locker and locks it. “You’re going back home?” Haewon asks Eunyoung and the latter nods, “My parents are coming back tonight, he won’t have anything weird other than movie night with me in the living room.” Eunyoung laughs as she zips up her bag. “Alright then, see you later.” Haewon bids goodbye to her friends.

“GOOD LUCK WITH HIM!!”

Haewon could hear them shouting and whistling at her. She shakes her head and exits the room. She’s just about to fishes out her phone when someone stands right beside her.

“Haewon,”

She looks up when her she heard her name being called. She looks at the person who calls her and finds Jaehyun walking towards her. Haewon could feel she is holding her breath as the boy is getting closer. It’s like when you’re caught skipping class by the teacher, nerve-wracking. Jaehyun casually makes her way to Haewon, just like how he used to do in the past. In the past, Haewon would smiles brightly at him and wait for him patiently. But now, she just want to leave and find Sehun.

“You’re done changing? Going somewhere?”

Jaehyun asks Haewon who nods her head, “Yeah, sorry about the game. You must have wanted to win so badly,” Haewon mumbles and he just chuckles. “You know me, but your school has some mad skilled players. Nothing I can do about it, huh?” Jaehyun says again.

‘Do I really know you?’

Haewon wonders, it’s been two years since they talk in a long and normal conversation like this. Usually, Jaehyun would talk about his relationship and ask for advices to her. Something that she’s not really fond of but there’s no way she told him that she hates it. She’s not a type of people who would say out loud what she wants or she hates. She’s more to timid side than her friends. That’s why not a lot of people would ever hear her argues or disagreeing with someone. If Haewon ever does that, it means that the situation has gotten worse and she can’t hold it anymore. She would make sure everyone around her happy, something that would often makes her upset over something.

“Can I ask you something?” Jaehyun asks her again and she nods, he takes a huge sigh as if he’s searching for words to say. “What’s wrong? What is it that you want to ask?” Haewon furrows her brows at him and he laughs awkwardly, “I don’t know but I felt that you deliberately avoid me during our last year in junior high. Was there something wrong?” Jaehyun finally asks her and she was quite taken aback by his questions.

‘A lot of things have gone wrong, you just never realize it.’

Haewon quickly let out a chuckles, “Why do you say that?” she tilts her head. “I don’t know …. I just felt like something was up between us,” Jaehyun scratches his head and Haewon swears she just wanted to get out from that situation. A silence takes over and the two of them could only keep quiet because none of them have anything to say or want to say anything. She doesn’t want to tell him how she feels because he’s still with Siyeon. It’s not something that she’s comfortable with. Being exposed. Her friends told her that it’s better to let it out but she knows all the consecuenses. Jaehyun doesn’t have to know about it. Now, all she needs is something to get out from this uncomfortable situation.

“Hey!”

Suddenly Sehun already stands by her side, Haewon lets out a gasp and he laughs. Sehun looks at Jaehyun in front of him, “Hey, great play. It was nice to play with you,” Sehun says and Haewon shakes her head because she knows he uses a pun of normal ‘nice to meet you’ sentence. Jaehyun nods at him and suddenly his eyes squint at the sight of Sehun and Haewon. More like, squinting at Sehun’s hand that’s currently holding Haewon’s.

“Nice to see you but we need to go somewhere else, see you next time?” Sehun politely says and Jaehyun nods, “Nice game too, you have mad skill. Yeah, sure. See you next time,” Jaehyun smiles and let the both of them leave.

Sehun brings her away from the building as they walk out of the school. He could feel she’s been quiet and take a look at her as they walk.

“Breathe, just breathe.”

Haewon looks at him who let out a smile, “Breathe, he’s gone. We’re away from school, take a deep breath.” he soothes her.

“How do you know that I need to be saved?” Haewon wonders and he chuckles, “I may not a highly observant person but I could see you’re sweating cold sweat and you need something or someone to help you get away from him.” Sehun answers her as they walk to the bus stop to wait for the bus to come. Haewon looks at him with a smile plastered to her face, “That was very thoughtful and precise, thank you, by the way.” she thanks him and he just nods. They just sit in the bus stop without saying anything but then Sehun’s phone rings and he apologizes before he let go of her hand that he’s holding. Haewon doesn’t realize that their hands are still intertwined together until he lets her hand go to take his call.

“What? What again?”

Sehun asks in annoyance to the other person, Haewon looks at his side feature as he’s talking with the caller. Since they meet a lot and spend some times together, she uses to looking at his front side face. She observe his side features, his jawline and nose bridge are things that stood out the most. She rarely take a clear look on any other guys because she doesn’t really care about them, she can’t find any comfort in them unlike Sehun. He makes her feels safe, she doesn’t know why but he just does.

“They’re on a business trip, just get in and find anything you want. Nope, I’m currently unavailable.” Sehun quirks as he takes a glance at Haewon who raises her brows at him, “Shut up, I’ll see you guys later. Just DON’T burn my house, Kim Jongin. You hear me?” Sehun raises his volume but it looks like the person on the other side just laughing. Sehun sighs and locks his phone before put it back to his pocket, “Sorry, my friends are killing me.” Sehun explains and she laughs, “They seem like a very fun dudes though,” Haewon says.

At last, the bus comes and they quickly get on the bus. “Where are we going?” Haewon asks to Sehun as the bus start to leave the bus stop, “Actually, I haven’t think about it but I bet you’re hungry, so why don’t we eat first?” Sehun offers and she nods. “Do you want to eat anything or somewhere? You can choose the place,” Sehun asks her and Haewon thinks about it for a second, “I thought you’re the one who ask me on a date.” she teases him and he just laughs.

“Seriously, you don’t want to eat anything in particular?” she shakes her head, “Alright then, I’ll show you an amazing place to eat.” he proudly smiles.

 


 

The bus ride is about fifteen minutes and they walk for another five minutes before they reach a small shop in Samseong-dong. He opens the door for her and let her in first.

“Auntie, I’m here!” Sehun brightly calls for someone as he approaches the register desk, an old lady around her sixties comes out from her kitchen and smiles at Sehn’s presence. “Oh gosh, you’re here! Sehun-ah, how are you my dear?” he hugs the lady and smiles at her, “I’m fine, how about you auntie?” he asks her back and she answers him with a cheerful tone.

The auntie looks at Haewon who stands behind Sehun and quickly approaches her, “Who is this beautiful girl? Auntie never seen her,” she asks Sehun who’s now standing behind her.

“Auntie meet Haewon, Haewon this is the owner of this delicious shop.” Sehun introduces the two and Haewon gladly shakes hand with the lady, “It’s nice to see him with a girl, especially a pretty one. Now go have a seat, I’ll bring you the menu.” auntie users the two to take a seat and she goes to tak her menu book.

“You’re a regular customer here?”

Haewon asks Sehun as they sit, he nods his head

“Yeah, I used to go here every day with Jongin and the others after school back in junior high, this place is crowded during weekdays especially after school. You should try her cheese ddukbogi and kimchijeon, they’re the most delicious foods I ever eat.”

Sehun suggests as the lady comes back, “Auntie, I’ll have the cheese ddukbogi and kimchijeon. He said it’s your famous dishes.” Haewon says and the lady chuckles. “Of course dear and you, young man?” the auntie asks Sehun, “I’ll have the cheese ddukbogi, sundubu jiggae, and kimbap.” Sehun answers her. “Any drinks?” the auntie asks again, “I’ll have an ice tea, you?” Sehun asks Haewon who says she’ll order the same. “Alright then, I’ll be back very soon.” the auntie left them to her kitchen.

“Well, you’re a very healthy athlete.” Haewon comments and Sehun just laugh, “It’s been a while since I’ve been here, I need my weekly intakes of auntie’s foods.” he jokes and they both laugh together.

There’s a moment of silence as they’re just playing with their own phone, Sehun is texting his friends whose making a fuss about him going on a date with Haewon. Meanwhile Haewon is just calming down her friends about her going with a human male gender. That is as rare as seeing Kim Jong Un leaving North Korea. Haewon puts down her phone and look at the boy right in front of her. Sehun feels that he’s being watched so he looks up and sees that Haewon is looking at him.

“About Jaehyun,”

Haewon starts and Sehun locks his phone to listen to her, Haewon seems like she’s arranging the sentences in her mind that her eyes wanders around the room.

“You, if you don’t want to talk—“

“No, it’s okay.”

Haewon shakes her head and Sehun let her to continue her story, “We went to the same junior high school. We first met back in seven grade and he’s…. nice, like really nice. We chat and talk, we hang out together. You know,”

“Just like us, I see.” Sehun says and Haewon can’t help but laugh.

“Yeah, I feel really comfortable with him which is quite weird. I’m not that kind of girl who’s famous within boys and I don’t feel really good at interacting with boys. We have a lot in common, people thought that we’re together because we’re always together. But then, reality hits me.”

Sehun can sees a painful memory comes to her mind when she talks, makes him quite worry.

“He asked other girl out and then he said that he treats me like his own ‘sister’ that he could never have. Sister zone detected right? Long story short, we don’t talk anymore because just like any other cliché story I fell for him. The end.”

Haewon let out a chuckle as she ends her story. It’s been years, she thought it would be okay for her to tell the story. But the pain is still there so she’s absolutely wrong. Yet she feels so right telling Sehun about this.

“Thank you for telling me,” Sehun says and she looks at him, “I know how hard it is to tell someone else’s your painful story, so I’m honored that you tell me about this.” he smiles at her and she laughs. “Well, you look like someone who have a lot of experiences with girl. I didn’t suspect that kind of comment came out from you.” Haewon admits and the other male in front of her just laughs.

“What do you mean with ‘a lot of experiences’? Some kind of playboy?” he raises his brows and she laughs in embarrassment.

“Well, some kind like that. I’m sorry,” she apologizes because she doesn’t want him to misunderstand.

“I get that a lot actually, I mean, I play basketball.  People think that any athlete is always a playboy, but I’m not. I’ve only date one girl back in junior high and that’s it,” Sehun recounts and Haewon widens her eyes, “Seriously?” she asks and he nods while laughing.

“I mean it, one girl but she turns out to be using me for getting to Taemin. Tak about cliché,” he says as he shrugs his shoulders.

“That was awful, but I suspect it’s a ‘bros before hoes’ thing?” Haewon teases and Sehun laughs although he nods, soon the auntie comes back with foods on her tray.

“Foods for my favorite customers, the omurice is in the house. It’s my new recipe, you should try and tell me how it was.” she gives them her blink and the two just laugh, “Thank you for the meal, auntie.” they both say in unison and the auntie leaves while laughing.

 


 

“I thought girls hate superheroes movies,”

Haewon laughs at him as they walk around after they finished eating at the auntie’s shop. “Well, that was until my brother introduced me to Iron Man, it’ a whole new universe for me.” Haewon says as she looks around the street, “You have a brother? That’s a new thing,” Sehun tilts his head as he is quite astonishes by the new fact about Haewon having a brother. Because in the three hours they’ve been, she never mention a brother.

“Well, I had. He’s not around anymore,”

Haewon sighs softly, Sehun notices the mood went down so he nudges her arm. “I see that there’s a lot of things I should know about you, huh?” he rubs his chin as if he’s thinking hard about something, Haewon sees that and laughing again.

“I think one date won’t be enough, huh?” she teases him back and he laughs as they reached the bus stop. “Another date, I suppose?” Sehun quirks and she slaps his arm softly, “If you don’t mind,” she shrugs and the bus comes from afar.

“See you at school tomorrow, be safe.” Sehun says to Haewon as the bus opens its door for the passengers. “You too,” she says back and he let her to enter the bus, “I’ll call you?” he asks and she turns around. Haewon smiles at him.

“Sure, I’ll answer it, I guess.” She rolls her eyes in joking manner and then laugh before get in the bus.

Sehun waves his hand and watches until the bus leaves. He smiles at himself and then walk to the other way from the bus because his house is in the other way and it is easier for him to use the subway. He walks as he pulls out his phone and see that there’s a bunch notifications from his group chat with his friends. Mostly talking about the game earlier that day and ‘trash talking’ him as if hes not the iin the chat, he laughs as he reads it one by one. Then Jongin chat him useless chat such as

Kkamjjong: Where’s the t-shirt?

Kkamjjong: Is it still being washed?

Kkamjjong: Found it!

Kkamjjong: Just ignore my texts, enjoy your date!

Kkamjjong: Invite her over some time!

Kkamjjong: Oh, never mind

Kkamjjong: HEY I FOUND MY T-SHIRT BACK FROM LAST THANKSGIVING!

Sehun laughs at Jongin’s useless yet very informative texts, his diaper friend still hasn’t changed. He also has a bunch of texts from other friends who congratulates him for winning the game. He enters the subway station and wait for his train.

It’s Sunday night, most of the people in the subway station are either students who get out but still reading books for tomorrow’s test or someone who just spend their time with their family and need to get back for tomorrow’s work. Subway is a perfect place to observe and learning people’s habit. Sometimes he would get out from his house just to watch people or a family spending time together. Things he misses. The train comes and he rides while listening to his playlist.

 


 

Haewon reaches her apartment and quickly takes a shower. She feels all stuffy yet happy. This is the first time she ever feels comfortable talking and spending time with a guy. Sehun sure becomes her favorite person to chat with aside from her friends. She used to avoid any interaction with other males ater she lost her brother and that ‘Jaehyun case’.

Yes.

She lost her brother.

Son Taewon.

He was her older brother, her only sibling. Her only reason why she left New York, why she choose to live alone in Seoul. An unfamiliar yet familiar city for her.

Haewon remembers everything, the horror, the mourning and tears, everything.

 


 

“Are we visiting Taewon again?”

The eleven years old Haewon cheerfully asked her mother as soon as they entered an apartment building in Exeter, New Hampshire. Taewon was a second year high school student in Phillips Exeter Academy. He was the top of his class and the student body president. A main and sole candidate as the valedictorian in his senior year. Taewon is five years older than Haewon but he managed to skip one grade and eventually went to high school one year earlier than boys his age. He let her to call him by his name rather than ‘oppa’ because he wanted to be her best friend and brother.

He decided to enter PEA rather than Trinity School in New York because he wanted to live independently. He then given an apartment in Exeter rather than being the boarding student.

Haewon was very close with him, he loves her dearly and always took care of her well. That’s why she always gets excited whenever they visited him.

But it was different. The air was quite colder that it was and quite quiet than it should be.

Haewon and her mother went up first because her father needed to take some time to take the stuffs out from the car. “You’re excited, sweetheart?” her mom asked her and she nodded her head. Soon, the elevator reached the 10th floor. They finally in front of his apartment door and her mother opened the door as she has the keys.

“Taewon? Where are you? We’re here!”

Her mom went to the kitchen to put some groceries she bought, Haewon looked around for her brother but he’s nowhere to be found.

“That’s strange, he said he’s free today.” Mrs.Son muttered and Haewon decided to roam around. She stood in front of his opened bedroom door which is quite weird because Taewon always close and put everything back to his place.

“Taewon? It’s Haewon! We’re—“

Haewon stood in front of Taewon’s body hanging on the ceiling of his bedroom. Haewon couldn’t forget the horror, the terror and creeps around her.

“Honey, what are—TAEWON! OH GOD!”

Mrs.Son fell to the floor and tried to take Haewon under her arms so that she wouldn’t look at Taewon’s condition. Haewon’s crying but soundlessly, she’s terrified and upset. She lost her only brother, her source of strength whenever she needs one.

Soon, her father came in and called the police. His body was taken and the police found a letter. The title said it’s suicide. Everyone knew.

I’m sorry mom, dad, and Haewon but please let me go.

 


 

That is the real reason why she moved to Seoul, the house her parents living in Manhattan currently is filled with memories of Taewon. They did everything together, how could she erased that image of Taewon in his apartment’s bedroom when all she saw back at home was him. His bedroom was across her bedroom. The pain is too much.

That’s why she asked permission to move to Seoul, to get know her own country, her origin. Her parents were worried but she assures them that she’ll be fine, she need some time off from all the memories. She just needed an escape. She was eleven, the image stayed on her mind. Painful memory, miserable times.

Seoul is her sanctuary.

Haewon get out from her shwer and checks her phone as it’s ringing. The name on the screen says it all.

Sehun

She smiles and slide to answer the call.

“Hey, stranger.”

 


 

“She moved her hands a couple hours ago, we believe it’s a sign of her regain her consciousness. Wait for a couple days or at least two weeks, she might wake up real soon.”

Sehun nods his head and then looking at Haewon on the bed, all attached to the machines.

“The accident cost several brain damages, we all know that. But human is an amazing thing, I beliee shell recover soon.”

“Thank you, doctor.”

Seokjin put his hand on Sehun’s shoulder, “You shouldn’t blame yourself. You hear Minseok, she’ll be fine. Her condition is better than she was months ago.” he says to the younger male.

“Let’s pray that Taewon will save her,”

⇒ Took me some weeks to write and upload this lol I hope you like this^^ Sorry for any mispronounce or gramatical errors, hven't re-read it again! GIVE ME YOUR COMMENTS AND SUBS PEOPLE!<3 I love reading people's comments~~ Anyway, I took my IELTS as you know and I got 7.0 for the overall band!!! Just want to share the news:D Anyway, HAVE YOU SEEN SHINEE NEW MVs?? Their albums and songs are always over the top! Thank you for subbers and commentators also upvoters^^ Please do leave a comment and tell me your feeling about this story~

Will update again soon! Things will be revealed soon!

Bye<3