The One [OK]

Bedtime Stories

“Do you really think I could ever replace you?”

Kibum kept his mouth shut when he saw Eunsook’s lips trembled under the moonlight that seeped through the window. It’s past midnight already and both of them still cannot depart to the dreamland.

“Do you?”

“Sookie..”

Kibum can see clearly the tears hanging at the brim of her eyes, but he seemed cannot compose himself into some words.

“At this point I should have been disappointed with you, how in the world you think I would easily do that to you,” she runs her hand to swipe his hair, and when the tips of her finger got in contact with the skin of his forehead, she only can curved her lips into bitter smile, making Kibum’s heart feels like getting pierced thousand times, “But no, Kibum. Not when all my heart belongs to you.”

He caught her hand and brought it to his own lips, giving it small pecks while regretting why on earth he didn’t do that more often.

“If only.., if only I can ask universe to make me the first son.”

“I am too tired to even try imagining that.”

She looks beautiful with her hair down, cascading the side of her milky neck and fell on her chest. Eunsook’s eyes used to be his favorite thing to see in the world but at the moment, he hates it so much for they mirroring the same sadness all over Kibum’s.

“I wish there were another words beyond ‘I miss you’,” he closed their distance and kiss her nose, and down to her full lips, savoring all the sweetness left there after rough night, “I cannot picture my live without your smile at the end of my day..”

She rests her right hand on his face, rubbed her thumb on his cheekbones, inhaling and exhaling very carefully not to make herself broke into some sappy tears again.

“Life is funny, sometimes. The best and the worst day in my life happened within a week,” she stopped and bit her lower lips to strengthen herself, Kibum did the best to comfort her by slipping his hands to sooth her back, “When my parents said I’m getting engaged to Kim’s family son, I was in the moon at the second. I felt like the luckiest person.”

Kibum remembered it very well, how on that night she drove to his apartment and threw herself on his embrace because she thought all the constellation was on her side and let her to be happy.

“But when Jonghyun stood there that Sunday, instead of you, I though an invisible wrecking ball just hit me on the face. My mother should have told me that I’m not marrying the second son.”

She turned her torso, back facing him since her tears start rolling down her face again. And just like another day, his instinct is to wrap her close to his chest. However, this time is different. The longer his hand stays on her torso, the more pain dead-shot him on the chest. Her shaky shoulder’s glowing under the dim light, driving him nuts from head to toe.

The bed feels colder than usual. Colder when he realized by tomorrow night he will never lie his back on it anymore. Colder when he remember the flight he needs to take to leave his hometown to take care his father company in other’s country. Colder when he knew her future is not standing beside him.

Their bare limbs tangled under the sheet. He tighten his arms around her and rest on the nook of her neck, inhales her scent for the last time. As much as possible. As long as possible.

I’ll always love you, Lee Eunsook.

“I’m sure you will look very beautiful on that dress, Babe.”

***