Honne [JxYou]

Bedtime Stories

You’re a part time lover and a full time friend
The monkey on your back is the latest trend
I don’t see what anyone can see
In anyone else but you

I kiss you on the brain in the shadow of the train
I kiss you all starry eyed, my body’s swinging from side to side
I don’t see what anyone can see
In anyone else but you

– Anyone Else But You (The Moldy Peaches)

***

I recalled the first time I sat in this very room receiving my trophy from English debate competition at my second semester of freshmen year. Now, all the walls pressed down my chest, suffocating me in its most possible way. The clock’s ticking tortured me slowly, sent me an urge to sprint away through door behind me. Piles of cold sweat stream down my back. The face next to me is not really impressed. Neither am I.

“Miss _______, do you know why I called you here?”

Quoting Kim Kibum, playing innocent is the sweetest get away ever from troublesome hour, “I’m not really sure, Sir. Mind to tell me so I can explain if I should?”

The man before me exhaled in such a disappointment, “Your forecast SAT score dropped. Something happened during the class?”

My granny taught me to appreciate people who care about us. But making a fuss over only 3 points lower than the earlier is just a fruitless attention and definitely unacceptable, “With all due respect, Sir, I’m fine and it’s normal for anyone to get different result in tests, isn’t it?”

“The final is coming, _______.”

“I am aware of it, Sir. It’s 8 months to go in my calendar.”

Suddenly his face changed into don’t-joking-around-with-me look, “_______, you know there will be several universities offering their early admission for those who own a significant achievement during high school.” He looks so concern so I politely supplied him with nod, “Is something bothering you lately?”

“I’m more than fine, Sir.” Not really, when your house is a mess and you should live with your grandmother, “I might just over study and got tired on the last test so I couldn’t make the most of it.”

Said that he doesn’t really buy them and clear his throat for a second, “Is it related to some teenager issues?”

“Pardon me?” I almost chocked myself.

“I’m sure you gave your 200% on study hall. But in case you need an advice, I thought dating a trouble maker is not the best option during college prep.”

Adults really have no idea about teenager, haven’t them? I used to cringe in awkwardness when some emo girls stated that. Just now, I acknowledge their point of view. Shouldn’t your home teacher considered adult?

“Nothing has to do with Jonghyun here, Sir. And excuse me if I may, my history class about to start in 15 minutes. Have a good day.”

His brows furrowed into a strong bridge below the forehead, and that’s my cue to step outside.

***

To say that Jonghyun is a trouble maker was absolutely wrong. The whole school knows him as a kid who almost brighter than the sun, a jokester that never fails left the other in happiness. He might not as smart as what people said I am, but he’s kind and never planned to burn down the school.

Since the third year of elementary, my competitive side grew bigger. No fund came out from my pocket to finish middle school because the local government covered it for me. While I’m a straight A student, Jonghyun pursued his dream to be a musician which people mistaken him as a hobo who never pay attention in class. He never got some ranks, but never drowns below the average line neither. His grade in Calculus is slightly so-so, but his music teacher praises him as if he was God. And he does make a good boyfriend.

“Hey, beautiful!” someone purposely clung his muscular arm onto my shoulder.

“Let me go, or my boyfriend will break your arms.”

“I’m afraid I had to kick his first before he even touched me.”

No one beats his obstinacy, so I just rolled my eyes and leaned back, fix my neck’s nape to the arm behind me, and keep walking with both my eyes closed tight.

“That’s not the most dazzling face within this year. What’s wrong?” Jonghyun flee his finger to comb my bangs, gave me warm frisson when his skin brushed my forehead.

“I got scolded just because my recent score is 3 points lower. Three points, Jjong.”

“Aaaaww..,” Jonghun moved his hand slowly to give a little massage on my neck, “Our model student is in a slump. She shouldn’t date an idiot like Kim Jonghyun.”

The ooze feeling he send through my lower head is just gone right after those non-sense words came out from his rather huge mouth, “Not you! You’re the least I expect to deliver me those creepy sentences.”

 Jonghyun send me his broken smile, now looking at me in concern, with both his hand steady on my shoulders, “I can’t help but getting used to that, baby..” His puppy eyes perfectly mirrored my sad feeling.

“I don’t like it.”

“Me neither. Now get into your class, Smarty. I saw Mr. Jin earlier and he’s not at his best too.”

“You just send me away like that?”

I can’t hide my disappointment upon his action. Jonghyun pats my head, knowing this gesture as my favorite from all those PDA stuff, “You hate it when someone came late to the class, don’t you? Besides..”

“Besides what?”

“Besides, I’m going with Minho!” he flashes his bright white teeth.

“Another day with Minho?! Jjong-ah.. I told you to stop wandering around with him! You know yo…”

Soft lips on my cheeks pushed back the words I’m about to spill back down to my throat, “This is the last time! Promise!”

“So you won’t walk me home AGAIN today?”

Because some words need to be emphasized to make your significant others realize how pissed you are. But Jonghyun just placed both his hand together under his chin as an excuse. Once he had a will, there’s no way anyone can’t stop him unless the doomsday decided to stop by after him.

“I’ll take it as a permission to go home with Jinki.”

I can see his teeth clenched inside his shut tight mouth, “Fine.”

Lee Jinki is always his weak spot and I’m happy that I can easily mess his sweet dream at night just by mentioning that dork’s name, “You can go with him. His house is just a block away from yours anyway.”

1 for Choi Minho, 0 for me.

***

Jinki and I just finished the classic literature class, one of my favorite subject since we got two hours in library with at least a thick and worn out old novel and trapped inside a futile debate whether Juliet or Romeo fault that put them in such a disastrous fate.

“You really are a ferocious.” Jinki gushed over, swayed his long golden locks to the air.

“And you are forever second rank.”

“First. You’re falling lately, remember!”

“Not a chance! You’d never pass this class!”

“FYI, darling, Kibum got the best mark on literature.”

“He is an underclassman! Respect your own dig..”

“Kim Jonghyun! How many times I should tell you that no one allowed to sleep in my class?!”

“I’m sorry, Mr. Cho. I promise this kind of inconvenience won’t happen in..”

“.. The near future. Is that what you’re going to supply me?! Your template didn’t work on me, young man!”

We were stopped by the loud shout that trespassing the concrete before I could finish my argument. I’m pretty sure the Kim Jonghyun mentioned just now is the same person with the one who used to serenade me over the phone every single time I got anxious with the ongoing test or anything troubling. A light poke obscurely touched my arm and when I tilt my head, Jinki casually slipped his hand inside his pockets, bid me his farewell, and walked to the south.

Five minutes passed with two people almost yelled to each other inside and me wrapped the ia Woolf masterpiece closed to my chest. The door finally shriek opened to puffy blonde bangs.

“Oh, hey. Do you need to speak with Mr. Cho?” His stupid grin broke when I shook my head weakly, “Perfect. He’s not in the mood. You might get pitched by the trophy behind his desk.”

He walks passed my side, and after steps away he realized that I didn’t move any inch unlike any other day when I always tagged along him any possible chance between class or lunch time or morning ceremony or after school.

“Any problem?”

I sighed and approached him because someone should be more mature around here and offered that position to Kim Jonghyun is impossible.

“There is a problem, isn’t it?” Despite his lack of focus, he never failed read my face as if every single thought ever popped inside my mind written on it.

“You are the problem,” No startled looks means he’s aware of himself or totally clueless, “Baby, have you ever considered attending a class without leaving any bad footprint?”

“Am I looked like a grizzly bear?”

Sometimes, Jjong. Sometimes.

“It’s metaphor, you Dino! Give your brain attention as much as your muscle.” There’s only silence left because Jonghyun doesn’t lift his head and keeps staring to his worn out Converse, “Please, I hate it when you’re on mute.”

“So, am I really stupid enough in your eyes?”

“When did I ever tell you that?”

“Like.., just now?”

His low voice pinched my heart and I know, his detestation gaze means he attained more pain than myself, “Jonghyun, I’m sorry if you’re offended but I swear to every single God that exist there’s no way..”

A hand my hair lightly; stopped me bursting out. Jonghyun trails my face down and rests his hand on my cheek, “I know, baby.. I know. I’m just kidding.”

He’s not kidding and I know it.

“I’ll call you later, okay?”

He replaced his hand with a quick peck and dashed away before I could ask where he’s heading to or even shout his name.

***

And he didn’t call after. Or at night. Or at 3 AM when finally I realized keep staring to my phone since dinner was useless because there’s no way he would call me.

***

Dating Kim Jonghyun is not easy. Never. With every single teenager who develop some s with bunch of estrogen all over the school (and outside) were all fangirling on him ever since he won the songwriting competition held by the local government and got his popularity on the peak, I found myself hard to breath when they’re questioning why the hell a heartthrob like him would date a nerd like me. A straight A nerd to be exact.

Me myself also never expected that one day I’d bumped into him at the hall and dropped my iPod on the way, led him who never touch a book before staying in library until he got a chance talk to me who finally finished worksheets after 2 hours non-stop with his desire to my playlist as an excuse.

Or I’d accidentally ruined his power nap when I cussed around about the new physics teacher who argued my theory about the solar system and didn’t realized he hid behind the old elm where I threw my tantrums away which ended up in a session of talked heart to heart about family stuff. I have no idea too why we could jump from universe forming theory to personal stuff.

Or he’d snatched away the only Naruto costume left at the Spooky Shop two days before Halloween, forced me to buy the Freddy Krueger costume for Jinki. It almost cost me my friendship but the pumpkin latte after the encounter definitely worth it.

Or the fact that magically he’d everywhere in a blink of an eye. At school, at the dentist waiting room, at the bakery, and at my porch despite his house was miles away from mine. Suddenly I spent my hours at school not only in the library, but also under so much attention, including the cynical and hostile one from the other girls on the line all waiting for the boy who own the most beautiful and rich voice in the world.

Jonghyun is not lingering around all the time, but he found his way slipping some butterflies inside my tummy every single time we talked. We rarely met, but each time we collided, my heart soothed away; made me forgetting what’s to be the first in everything. He replaced the absence of my parents. The hole that my granny unable to filled is perfectly covered by his existence. No matter how people around – mostly around him since I don’t make any acquaintance besides family and Jinki – convinced us that we’re poles apart, there’s a thin line tied us.

My world turned upside down once he dropped by the institute I went after school, face as red as pomegranate juice Kibum always bought for Jinki and I; while he handed me a small yellow box contained a disc accompanied by a letter. Later in the morning, I realized there’s no way I couldn’t escape his friendly greeting, and just like that, I fell into his smile and everything. The next following morning, he started calling me girlfriend and the rest of the Eve’s daughters in the world started hating me. More.

Regardless his ability of disappearing into his popular circle, he was a sweet and caring boyfriend who tried so hard to stay in sight just in case I exploded in an uneasy circumstance. So, a massive fight like today is more than surprise for me.

It started like any other day when we spent time sitting side by side, dubbing other couple chatters from a far, between the school massive pillars.

“Jjong-ah, where have you been these past three days?” I my head his direction after time passed without his prompt on an underclassman couple across the school yard.

“Around.” Jonghyun’s answer swallowed among the shouts behind us.

“Did you go to your class?”

“What are you talking about?! Of course I went to school!!”

“Did you or did you not go to your class?”

Jonghyun ducks his head and adjusts his earphones carelessly; seems have no plan answering me.

“Kim Jonghyun.”

Still no reaction from the boy before me who keeps his mouth shut. I lost my patience and grab his chin, drive his gaze to my face, “I’m talking to my boyfriend here.”

I cup his face and try to find my answer in his dopey eyes but nothing’s there. Even my reflection seems gone away long time ago, “Jjong-ah, you’ve been avoiding me. I’m fine with that because I knew, even if you’ve been around me voluntary, I don’t own you. But abandoning your classes isn’t right, honey.”

“It’s always about the school isn’t it? The only stuff you care about.”

“I don’t care about anything but you.”

“If you care enough, you’d know where I laid my passion at.”

I chew my inside cheek and take a long breath before spill the beans out, “Your score dropped recently. I know you’re far from what people said stupid. But you’ve been missing too often lately. I couldn’t reach you.” It’s already written in his face all defenses he prepared about his passion stuff so I decide to take a quicker action, “I’m not talking about your music class. It’s beyond my area and I believe it gave you a super wonderful grade.”

“How do you know about my grade?!” he kind of upset and unexpectedly raises his pitch.

“Mr. Cho called me this morning. My grades dropped as well. He asked me to break this news for you, hoping that you’ll change your mind.”

“WHAT?! HE GAVE YOU MY REPORTS?!”

“What’s the matter with you?! It’s okay. We can fix this together, baby!”

He punches the concrete wall beside him and I believe those pink shades upon Jonghyun’s cheeks is not the same one that Kibum used to pamper his face, “You’re not supposed to know that, _______!”

A year and a half, no matter how bad the crack we faced, no matter how tired he was, never once he yelled at me like this very time, “Are you ashamed of that?! I’m your girlfriend for Pete’s sake!”

“Mind the line! Even people who married for years need to have some space for privacy!”

It’s not a good day to argue about such a thing, “Is it my fault then if I want to know what the problem you’re tackled is? “

“And gave you right to told me how to handle my life? Like what should I catch up to befit you as the number one brain in this entire school?!”

“I never asked you to change the way you are!”

“And what do you call this?! HAH?!”

The girl always expected to be the one who can handle any possibilities in a relationship, “Come on, Jonghyun. You’re not this childish. I keep falling too. Jinki might speed up my position.”

“No need to entertain me!!”

Jonghyun’s screeching without squint at me a bit and I lost it when he started texting people as if I’m invisible, “You think the earth centering at you? Everybody has their own problem, Jong!”

“Like what? Parents who forget they had a daughter?! I heard that long time ago!”

As if someone soaked me with iceberg crumbs, my lips sealed at once. The sound of kids dancing along passing the hallway filled the atmosphere around us, because neither Jonghyun nor I bother to listen.

“Tell me you didn’t mean it.” I don’t need tears to worsen this up, but with a boyfriend who act as cold as ever, the stream kind of deliberately fill up my vacant cheeks.

“Aren’t you curious about my falling grade, Jjong-ah?” I hope my bangs are long enough to cover my hand while wiping the sheds away and let me ease the atmosphere before Jonghyun coo another words, “Something happened at home. The last thi..”

“You can handle everything, can’t you?” He clamped the phone between his ear and his broad shoulder, while his hand busy folding his sleeves, “Lizzy-ah, why don’t you reply my text? Where are you?!” the other line seems annoyed with his rang, “You promised! I’m going to your class. What? Nope, it’s okay. Don’t you dare tell Minho.”

And his voice is fading away just like his figure, leave me in hollow with some words hung on the air. My ear drums stiffen as if it’s drown in a flood, flushed away the cheers from the nearest students pack, and replaced it with roar of the water as its back sound. Wondering what’s wrong with me, my heart aches as Jonghyun didn’t bother to look back.

A girl gotta do what a girl gotta do.

“Jinki’s speaking!” the other line greets me in such a bright voice.

“Is Kibum with you?”

“Of course. Hold on, did you just cry?”

“Can I talk to him for a minute?”

“Are you alright? Kibum-ah, _______ want to talk with you.” Jinki’s mouth keeps rattling around at the background, make sure Kibum asking me about what did just happen.

“Hello, there. You’re making everyone panic here.”

“Let’s worry about that later. By any chance, do you know Lizzy?”

No one beats Kibum in remembering people. He’s been a walking phone book who not only provides number and address but also habit, family background, side jobs, hobby, achievements, social status, and love preference of someone. And as usual, give him a name and you’ve got plenty on your hand.

“She’s from my year. Her chirpy tongue turned her into a cute and friendly girl. Last year she went to trot song competition as Jinki’s duet. Her grade is getting better recently since her father declared his urge to send her abroad. Why are you asking?”

“I’ve been hearing her name a lot lately.”

“That girl is really a recent hot stuff. Some boys are hitting after her but the rumor said she already had a badass back her up. I’m still on my way finding the lucky one. A raising star? I think we should start call her that, matched perfectly with her. _______? Are you still there? Gosh, why are you crying again?”

***

A month passed in a blink of an eye while you’re descending under stack of tests. Or prep classes. Or English course four hours a day after school. And when a house is not decent enough to be called a home, the local library that just re-opened after a minor renovation is like an oasis in a vast desert. This kind of routine might stressed some students out but definitely a one hell great distraction for a vacant heart.

Started in a snail speed, the hole marked its way to the surface as Jonghyun gone. Not that he really is gone, but I’ve been struggling to catch his shadow. The voice mail now sounds familiar in my ears because no day wasted away without those operator voices repeated when I left a message.

My shaking boat keeps sailing without any notice from Jonghyun whether I still can call him with fluttering heart or just prepared for the worst that I need to pack my bag and continue my life without him in it. The last message I received from him was two weeks after our last conversation and almost two months from now. It read: ‘Don’t forget to eat. Sleep well. Don’t force yourself.’ and I re-read it again and again every single night when my brain feels worn out. Not miserable enough, I found myself woke up in the morning with swollen eyes and phone still in tight in grip.

Dating Kim Jonghyun is not easy. Never. But breaking up with him is more difficult than I thought.

“I think Mr. Cho was right. I do have a teenager issue.”

“You ate too much Calculus sheet. Have some real food.” Jinki’s talking with as usual, a mouth stuffed with oily deep fried chicken.

I grab a small bun that came out in a nice peach color and munch it in one go, “Bring back my freshmen year when I have nothing but History and Chemistry inside my head.”

Jinki gives a grin that count as grimace, “Freshmen year .” He then spits some bones to the plate.

I scratch my itchy elbow with my mind visiting some events in the past when Jinki and I got splashed with a full and tall cup of fresh Slushie, “Yeah, particular part doesn’t enticing enough. Have you closed the windows?”

“I closed it just now. Why?”

“It’s not properly closed I guess.” I hate when those damned insect bite me on the palm because hell no, how can you scratch your palm without being ticklish?

“I can see that. Your neck got few kiss from them, pretty romantic isn’t it?” he chuckles while taking another drumstick from the chicken bucket.

My throat stings and I scoff abruptly hearing Jinki’s theory, “Oh, please! Kibum-ah! Give me your mosquito repellant! Or some baby powder!!” my voice crossed the room and reached Kibum on the kitchen. I heard clanking sound on the sink and the latter intrude the living room with first aid box in his hand.

“When I said you can study here with Jinki if you got bored with the library, it doesn’t count shouting and yelling to the house owner you know?” Kibum hand me the small purple tube in lavender scent, “Who ate my shrimp buns?!”

And my eyes almost ran away my face, “Did you just say shrimp?”

Suddenly it’s hard to breathe when I realized Jinki, apparently, did close the windows.

***

The smell of well moped and sterile floor slowly wakes me up. My head is so heavy but I remembered Jinki thrown his chicken away while Kibum frantically screamed over my direction. No need anyone to tell that a needle shoved into my right hand. The left one is even harder to move because when I looked down, someone’s hovering on it. It’s neither Jinki’s brown hair nor Kibum’s jet black.

“Jonghyun..” It out as whisper, both because my throat has been whiny and I’m afraid waking up this boy, so I’m pretty much surprised when he’s jolted his head up right away and run his own hand to my face.

“You’re awake?! You scared me so much! Do you know how hard it’s running straight to the hospital from my house? Are you alright? Where does it hurt?”

Those puppy eyes are red and weary. Did he get enough sleep? Is he alright?

“I should passed out more often to get your attention..”

He flicked my forehead lightly, “I thought you’re the smartest girl at school. I date a wrong girl then.”

“Are we still dating?”

Jonghyun chuckles on my innocent question. He shakes his hand and tuck strands of hair behind my ears, “As long as you want it, of course we’re an item.” I stretch my free but not so free hand because Jonghyun still on my side doesn’t make enough space to move it and ask him to hug me. Without ado, he places his soft lips on my forehead and carefully hugs me without making a mess on the bed.

“How long I’ve been here?”

“Almost two days. This time it worse on your throat. They almost drill a hole on your neck because your respiratory system shut down for a while.”

My lips lifted into a weak grin, “I didn’t mean to stress everybody out..”

Jonghyun squished my hand lightly and drag it to his face until finally rested it above his chin. Another silence seeps in and I let myself enjoying the view of Jonghyun closed his eyes.

“I should take care of you better. How can I abandon my girl when she faced unfortunate moment like this? I’m really sorry about your grandmother. You should tell me earlier.” His affection flows toward me, pierces all over my skin.

“I’ve tried but you’re too upset and I’m afraid it’ll drift you away.”

“Your grandmother got sick, leaving you alone at home with no adults. Not to mention your hide and seek games with the social service officer who try to place you to somebody else houses because they thought you’re practically orphans. You kept that all for yourself. Do you know how bad you successfully made me a terrible person?”

“Who told you that?”

“Jinki ran to me and rolled everything out while Kibum took care of you when you collapsed.”

“I give you permission to kick his this time.”

“Why don’t you just call your parents and told them everything?”

“They’re worst. They shouldn’t called parents since they never consider me exist. Being an orphan is way much better than beseeching their attention. I’m done being a disturbing rock on their smooth path, Jong.”

“They just haven’t understood that having you as theirs is the best thing people could ask in this world.”

“And you’re way too nice.” It’s ticklish even though my cheeks are still a bit numb when finally I can’t stop myself from shedding tears, “Look. You’ve been taking care of me these past years. And I realize you shouldn’t. You can leave whenever you want, Jong..”

“Are you breaking up with me?”

“It’s been hard for you, hasn’t it? You must be burdened by my shellfish whiny needy competitive brain. Lizzy won’t tell you what to do in your life. And you sure will make a cute couple together.”

“Lizzy? Why suddenly Lizzy?”

“Because the last time we talked, she successfully made you chose her over me,”Jonghyun’s mouth makes a perfect O, “Remember now?”

“Baby, you’re quite an idiot yourself.”

“Because you magnificently made me a fool who fell easily on your buttery words?”

“Because you have no idea how much I love you,” I rolled my eyes, I promised to stop shivering on his words but too many weak spots in my heart for him, “I called Lizzy because Mr. Cho already crossed the line by dragging you in my problematic grades.”

“Still a fool here.”

“Her Dad hired a private teacher and her grades got better ever since. I thought about doing something similar so at least you don’t feel ashamed on me. I called her right away on that day before everything went more wrong.”

“So you’re still mine?”

“That’s the same question that I want to ask you all the time. Are you still mine?”

“Why are still asking?”

“Because it feels like a dream I can call you mine. You’re smarter than me. The top ranks student and no one ever pay attention on me. You achieve everything so easily; you don’t need to shed a sweat while I need to drain my blood out just to earn tiny recognition.”

Just like an angel wings shoo any evil source in this universe incase guarding you, Jonghyun words sweep away all my insecurities. Never crossed my mind, any slightest this blonde over here would so scare of the thought losing me.

“That’s exactly what I feel. I petrified with the fact of having you by my side because I thought you belong to the world, not to me.”

“I might belong to the world, but I’ll always find my way coming back to you, _______.” The hole inside my chest is not only filled up but completely vanished away, “Unless..”

 “Unless what?”

“Unless you want Jinki find that way instead of me.”

“Are you nuts? Why do you think it would work with Jinki, you idiot?!”

“He’s kind of you in a boy form!!”

“I’ll tell you something that will change your mind forever. The rea..”

“I forget her favorite fish and chips!” I heard the sound of a door being pushed and then closed carefully. Kibum sounds disappointed by his own slackness.

And there’s the other voice that sounds so worried, “Is she allowed to eat that?”

“She’s allergic to shrimp, honey. Not fish.”

“But wouldn’t it better if she eats soft meals first?”

“Are you going to argue with me?”

“Of course not, babe.. She probably wants so.. Oh, thanks God you’re awake!” Jinki rushed to my right side, and those slanted eyes are nothing but sparkling in relieve.

“Morning, Jonghyun!” Kibum casually put so many plastic bags I don’t even able to guess what’s inside them on the table and placed it in an instagram-able angle.

 “Oh, my Lord! I didn’t know that was shrimp inside! I thought it was regular bun but in a different color! I’m sorry, _______! I’m sorry Jonghyun! I swear I’d kill myself if your girl getting worst!” Jinki burst into long speech while Jonghyun looks so confused with every single thing he just heard.

I shift my eyes to Kibum who finished his touch on the last banana and quite satisfied with it as both hands on his hips and smile wide across his face. Right when he turned to us, I send him a message with my eyes as possible as I could and thanks God he’s rather a genius.

“Jinki, there’s something I forgot. We should go back to the supermarket.”

“But we need…”

“Let Jonghyun do that.”

“I know but..”

“No more buts. Give them some times, baby.”

Jinki’s about to cry, his face crumpled into one. Before another nags came out his plump lips, Kibum snatch his arm and locked it to his, “Come on.. I’ll see you later, guys.”

The taller one drives themselves away with Jonghyun’s gaze fixed to their back until they lost in sight. I welcomed him with a big grin when he finally ready to face the reality.

“What the heck did just happen?! Are they..” as a consent, I pout at him cheekily and give him a full nod, “My dear, God. Since when?”

“Last year?”

“And you keep it from me, TOO?”

Remember when I said some words need to be emphasized? Yeah, we learnt it from each other.

“Baby, I love it when you went crazy whenever I mention Jinki’s name.”

The boy before me seems like having mental breakdown more than a highschooler that failed at college entrance test. Minutes passed before he finally laugh his out loud and balled a fist onto his forehead.

“Now you don’t need to worry about Jinki anymore.”

“Gosh, you’re so smart.”

Giggles leaked out spontaneously from my mouth, in sync with Jonghyun’s, and then suddenly his lips captured mine into silence. His lips are cold and warm at the same time, moves in a very slow rhythm. A hand my cheeks softly, while the other intertwined with mine. Heavy breaths brushed my skin, spread warmth all over my heart. Despite his manly appearance, Jonghyun’s always soft like this, handles me like a fragile crystal jar in such a delicate touch. And just like that, my insecurity is gone.

His husky cackles gave me nice shiver when finally we’re apart. He pecks my nose quickly before stretched his body and jumped off the stool. Jonghyun must be planned to have a little revenge and spare some jokes on me. I can see it in his eyes.

“We need to eat something. I’ll grab some from Fisherman’s Pods.”

“You don’t like fish and chips.”

“But I like you.”

Jonghyun is Jonghyun, after all. He will always find thousand ways to woo me away. One of them is being such a cheese ball like this.

***