Midnight Laundry [OK]

Bedtime Stories

Gwiboon just finished washing her hand when she heard something unusual. She looked at the side clock on the drawer and it shown already an hour pass midnight. Since a very young age she never believed in ghost or whatsoever but the thought of someone breaking into the house terrified her.

“Baby, wake up.”

“Hmmm.”

“Wake up, now. I heard something outside,” she shook her husband shoulder’s harder than before. Just arrived this morning from a business trip to Lyon, Jinki just groaned and pulled the blanket tighter.

“Let Comme Des handle it,” he mumbled without even opened his eyes.

By the time she heard the noise again, she lose her patient and yanked the blanket Jinki had been hogging.

“Baby! Listen! Something’s moving outside!!”

Unwillingly, Jinki tried to collect his soul and supports himself with on the side while the other rubbing his eyes. After almost five minutes in silence, his ears perked up by the noises that Gwiboon been talked about.

He shot her a terrorized look which replied by her special I-told-you-so rolling eyes, “What now?”

“Let’s go check.”

Gwiboon clutched the end of his t-shirt while Jinki snatched the baseball bat behind the wardrobe.

“What if it ghost?”

Jinki stopped for a while, hand’s hanging on the air while he turned to see his wife behind who now looks like ready to eat someone alive.

“Are you stupid or what?! You should be worried about someone trespassing your house and not some bull from horror movie!”

After one good slap on his back, they continue tip-toeing toward the kitchen where the noise is getting more obvious.

“Jonghyun?”

When Jinki switched on the light, a seven years old boy looked surprise, quickly got up from the floor where he was sitting in front of the washing machine, a flashlight on his left hand.

“Dad!”

“What are you doing here, Sweety?” Gwiboon walked closer to check what exactly happening while Jinki chuckled on the door frame, the bat is long forgotten next to the wall.

“I am.. uh.., I––“

“Are you washing something?”

The little kid just nods weakly, feet fidgeting nervously.

“Are you wetting your bed?”

He shook his head rapidly, slightly feel offended by the words.

“I am seven, Mom!”

“Then what are you washing? Why so late?”

“Because.. Umm,” Jonghyun’s hesitating and looking at his Dad for mental support and when Jinki smile, the little kid turned into crimson red, “IamwashingmysweaterbecauseIwanttowearittomorrow!!!”

“What? Can you speak a little bit slow? I couldn’t catch that.”

“I am washing my sweater, Mom.”

“Your sweater? Which one?”

“The one that Dad got me for my birthday. The blue one.”

“You mean the one that you’ve been wearing the whole week?”

He nods again, then keeps his head low.

“I don’t know that you love it so much, Buddy. We can go this weekend to buy another one with different color, but now, why don’t we go back to sleep? Hmmm?” Jinki kneeled down to make their eyes on the same level.

“No, Dad! I need to washed it now, I spilled my chocolate milk on it, and.. and Mom said that we have to wash the clothes as soon as possible if it happened before the stain stayed forever!”

“Oh, baby.. No, don’t worry, I’m not gonna be angry to you just because you spilled the milk on your clothes. Now shall we go head to the bed?”

“But.. but I want to wear it in the morning, Mom!”

“You can wear the other sweater, Jong.. Why don’t you wear the red one with hoodie?”

Jonghyun’s eyes look weary, he bite his lips before he speaks again, “You don’t understand, Mom! I need to wear this sweater!”

Jinki sense something off, he sits in front of Jonghyun, hands rest on his tiny shoulder, trying to lure the boy to stop the ruckus and let everyone back to sleep peacefully.

“Hey, Buddy. Do you want to tell me why you need to wash your sweater at one in the morning?”

“I told you I spilled my milk on it, Dad!”

“And may I ask again why you need to wash it by yourself and not put it in the laundry bag like usual?”

“Because I want to wear it again. I need to wear it again!”

“Why you need to wear it again? Are you not allowed to wear another sweater?”

“It’s because.. Uh, because..”

“Hmmm?”

“If I tell you the reason, you promise not be angry?”

Gwiboon’s gaping in thought of her son is being bullied or caught in a trouble at the school.

“Why would I be angry if my son being honest with me?”

“There’s this girl in my class..”

Jinki turned his head to Gwiboon which the later cannot help holding her smile.

“She said I looked good with the blue sweater and I should wear it everyday because I kind of cool in it.”

Gwiboon turns into jelly, her heart melts right away by the story revealed from his tiny mouth, “Oh, Baby. Why don’t you tell me earlier? I can help you clean it after dinner.”

“I am afraid you will be mad at me. I am sorry, Dad, Mom.”

“I will be mad if you hiding something from me again in the future, Kiddo. Now would you go back to sleep?”

“But what about my sweater, Dad?”

“I’m sorry to tell you, but I’m quite sure it would be still damp in the morning even though we already dried it, Buddy.”

The disappointment look on his face makes the smile on Gwiboon’s falter.

“Don’t worry about that, I will help you to pick another sweater that would be as cool as the blue one. Do you know her favorite color?”

Jonghyun’s eyes got its sparks again and Jinki couldn’t help beaming into the scene.

“Minjung said she loves blue! And white! Do I have white sweater, Mom?!”

Gwiboon is not sure but it’s almost two and she’s done for little drama so she just nods, “I think I saw it somewhere when I folded your clothes but let me double check again in the morning, okay?”

“But I have a white sweater, right, Mom?”

“I never doubt my memory, Honey! Now go back to your bed, will you?”

“You are the best! I need to look cool because we will have crafting class today and Minjung and I will be in the same group!”

“I’ll take note of that! Off to your bed, Champ!”

Jonghyun’s smile almost splits his face into two. He gave a kiss on Jinki’s and Gwiboon’s check before dashed off to his room.

“What a nice episode for home-welcoming,” Jinki stretched his back while Gwiboon setting the timer on the washing machine.

“I never believed when people said you and Jonghyun is an exact copy for each other until today.”

“What do you mean?”

“Nothing.”

She just smiled, closed the gap between them and reached Jinki’s lips while her mind wander to ten years ago when she met him for the first time with his green t-shirt which he wore it a week straight after Gwiboon said he looks cute in it.

“I love you too much I will let you slide this time,” Jinki murmured on her lips while his hand secured on her waist.

“Jonghyun already gave you his welcome present. Should I give you mine now?”

He kiss her once again before grabbed her and lifted her up, her legs locked around his hips and hands behind his neck, “I would be very glad to have that.”

***