Chapter 8

Pretending

Kim Jongin just became extra clingy after this. He lighted up all bright while talking to Kyungsoo and especially when the latter showed his signature smile.

He would text Kyungsoo about a few insignificant small things as soon as they get to work. If Kyungsoo attempted to mute the notification because Jongin was on the verge of blowing up his phone with random stuff like 'Hyung,what are you eating today?' 'Hyung,I am hungry!😭'  'I am so sleepyyyyy😪😴    'I miss your food!!🙁🙁🙁'     'I want to go back home with you alrdy :((( '

And when Kyungsoo opened his phone after his workload was finally done, he would see what could be thousand of texts from Jongin.

Lastly, the contact name. The younger just caught a glimpse of Kyungsoo changing the contact name,which the younger saved as "Love❤" in his phone, and he just went all pouty and stomping feet and whiny and stopped talking to Kyungsoo until the latter finally gave into the kid with a promise of not changing it later.

And Kyungsoo learned not to jump in shock when a tanmed arm loosely wrap around hus waist and a fluffy head leaned onto his neck while he was cooking because that seemed to be Jongin's latest habit. But the latter still couldn't avoid it when the older hit him with a spatula on the head when he would become extra clingy.

However,Kyungsoo believed that the best thing happened was that how Jongin's mom's hosility had lessended. Lately,they would even have a shared cooking session which  Jongin would watch from afar with a satisfied grin. Though she wasn't talking much to him yet, she would give him tips about some curries Jongin enjoyed and the his son swore he even saw a small smile on his mom's face while she was talking to Kyungsoo. But Jongin was not surprised. Everybody loved Kyungsoo. Maybe he did too.

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

"I think I am in love." Jongin suddenly started while they were in the middle of checking documents and schedules.
Baekhyun looked up at his boss and old friend with a smile. "Kyungsoo?" That obviously startled as the tanned male looked up with wide eyes.

"How--how do you know!?" He laughed out loud.

"It's hard not to notice when you check your phone every 10 seconds and pout so hard when you don't receive any messages from "LOVE❤" ,Jongin." The said male blushed.

"But you look troubled too. What's wrong?" Jongin sighed and leaned back on the couch. He couldn't really hide anything from his long term friend. "It's just..I don't know....I mean....he is a guy,you know." Baekhyun put the pen on the table as he frowned.

"So? I don't see anything wrong with it."

"But I always...go for girls..." Jongin muttered, making Baekhyun sighed.

"Kim Jongin, many people discover something about themselves at your age too. There's nothing wrong with it and I hope you know it. You are free to love whoever you want. Plus,You are already married to him, dude. What's wrong with falling for him?" The younger put his face between his hands.

"I don't know! I feek like the real thing would be more complicated....." Baekhyun smiled gently.

"You like him,right?" Jongin nodded.

"Really really like him?" The tanned male nodded so fast like an idiot.

"Then you should grab the chance before it's too late,Jongin." Baekhyun said, looking dazed with a soft sigh.

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪
"Hyung, your brithday is in... January,right? What's the date?" Jongin asked as he got under the duvet.
Kyungsoo bit his lips before replying softly. "January 12th. Yesterday." Jongin stopped whatever he was doing.

"WHAT THE HELL!?" Jongin turned his whole body at Kyungsoo, who was now had his back against the headboard.

"Wha--what?"

"Why didn't you tell me,hyung!?" Kyungsoo just stared at the younger who wore surprise and hurt on his face.

"Because I don't really think it's important?" Jongin pouted, looking like he was going to cry soon.

"Forget about it." With that, Jongin lied down and turned his back to the older. "I don't matter that much to you anyway." It was a whisper but the older heard it anyway.

"Jongin,come on." Kyungsoo sighed deeply when he didn't budge. He looked up at the wall to check the time.

12:00 am January 14th

"Happy Birthday,Jongin ah." Kyungsoo muttered softly.

▪▪▪▪▪▪

A familiar scent he liked greeted him as soon as he came out of the room, still casually dressed as today was the holiday.

"Oh hey, finally you're awake! And showered!" Kyungsoo  teased as it was already 12 pm when he got up. The older smiled at Jongin before turning his attention back to what was on the stove.

Dak-galbi, Jongin's favourite.

"Believe it or not but your mother had already went back." Jongin was surprised at this. "And she told me to cook this for you like how she always did on your birthday." Kyungsoo smiled rather shyly as he put the spicy stir-fried chicken in the dish.

"Would you like to eat it now or---"  the older looked hesitant.

"I will now." Kyungsoo smiled again as he continued preparing lunch. This was such a domesitc scene, Jongin thought.

"Where's yours?" Jongin asked when the older only prepared the dishes for him only and Kyungsoo's lips was half opened as he tried to find a right answer.

"I...I thought you might want to eat alone."  Because of what happened last night.

It was left unsaid but they both knew it. Jongin rather felt guilty at how he acted so childish last night.

"It's my birthday." Kyungsoo clenched the front of his apron as he felt uneasy when Jongin sighed deeply and stared at him intently. "Please eat with me,hyung."

The lunch was very quiet. Kyungsoo felt like everything they had had last few days was ripped away. What left now was the awkwardness they had when they first met.

After that, Kyungsoo quickly went into the room to take something and spent a few minutes ,standing at the door before going out again because he was going to give Kim Jongin, a guy who had everything in his life, a small present and honestly,he just felt scared.

"Here." He pushed the packed square gift right onto Jongin's chest who was looking very surprised now.

"It's nothing but I couldn't think of anything else." He said, looking down omat his feet instead of the other's eyes.

"Hyung---" Jongin said softly before said looking down at his presents and tearing the wrapping open.

It was one of Keigo Hishigano's book.

"You have been wanting to read this but you couldn't find this anywhere anymore so--I requested my friend from the bookshop...." Kyungsoo spoke up in a small voice as he scratched his already red ears."I know it's really nothing but---"

He couldn't finish his sentence because suddenly Jongin threw himself onto him with his arms arms wrapped arounf Kyungsoo's neck securely.

"Hyung--" Jongin sniffled and the shorter male guessed that Jongin's eyes were welling up with tears now.

"Are you crying!?" Kyungsoo asked, couldn't help but laugh at how soft the younger was.

"I want to celebrate your birthday and it hurt me so much when you didn't tell me about it,hyung!" Jongin whined, still not letting go of him.

"I am sorry. I am sorry. Don't cry." His hands previously resting beside his sides now moved to the younger's back, moving up and down in comforting gesture.

"Do you want to go to that dog cafe today?" Kyungsoo asked a few seconds later, wiping Jongin's tears away when they moved apart.

"Can we!? Are you following!?" He lighed up instantly at the mention of it. Jongin had been bugging Kyungsoo non-stop about going there together  after he saw about that on Instagram.

Jongin was very chatty on the way there. And he shocked Kyungsoo when he told him about some girls took pictures of them together in Paris and posted it on Instagram but Jongin assured the older that the girl, respecting their privacy at least, blurred Kyungsoo out or covered his face.

Now Kyungsoo was scared to be seen out with the younger who just laughed it off, saying how everyone on social media was in love with Kyungsoo and thought they two were very compatible. (They both bluhsed slightly at that)

Visiting the Dog Cafe was more fun than expected. Jongin hadn't stopped smiling once he got in the place and saw the dogs. Kyungsoo sipped on his coffee while watching the younger playing with dogs around. As usual, the tanned male was very keen on taking pictures of almost everything.

But what Kyungsoo didn't notice was Jongin also took candid pictures of Kyungsoo secretly and now the former"s wallpaper was the older smiling widely while patting a huskydog.

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

"Here." Kyungsoo looked up,surprised, when he saw the younger handing him one of the wine glasses while holding the other glass and the bottle in the other hand. They had had dinner outside (Jongin's treat) and they just decided to end the day, watching their favourite sitcom together.

"Ending the day in a classic way." Jongin joked and smiled which made the deep dimple in his cheek appeared.

"You know I can't drink much,Jongin." He puffed which made Jongin laughed.

"I know, I have seen it." Kyungsoo was frowning but his beating heart said otherwise when the younger winked at him playfully.

"I can hold my liquor well, so I will take care of you even when you get drunk. Just try not to chuck it all down at once." He was already pouring the red wine in both glasses.

The time went on with a comfortable silence between them and occasional laughs at the series. Kyungsoo was still sipping on his 2nd glass whilr Jongin had already drunk like 3 glasses amd seemed still fine.

Suddenly, Jongin suddenly wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder which made the latter so still like a statue.

"Hyung! Hyung! Look at this!" He sighed in relief(and a little bit of dissapointment) when he realized the younger did this just to show something on his phone.
It was their pictures at Dog Cafe which the younger posted.

"The comments are all about how much they can't wait to see your face." Jongin turned to him with a wide grin, checking his reaction. "And and! Some are even saying you are SO cute even though you face isn't revealed yet! Everyone loves you,hyung. They all think you are super duper cute." Kyunsoo snorted.

"I am a guy, Jongin. I am not cute." The younger laughed at it till his eyes closed, their faces very close to each other that Kyungsoo could Jongin's hot breath on his face.

"Hyung,you are cute." Jongin patted his shoulder. "And cool" The hand was now moving up and down along Kyungsoo's arms, their stares unmoving from each other's eyes. "You are perfect." The last sentence was merely a whisper and the smile on Jongin's face dropped as a serious expressipn replaced it. Kyungsoo gulped, startled at the sudden change of atmosphere.

"Haha. What's with all those non sense compliments!" He laughed off awkwardly, looking away. "Are you doing this 'cause you want something from me?" He joked.

"A kiss." Kyungsoo's face jerked towards Jongin, eyes widened in shock. Jongin was staring at him, still all serious. His lips opened once before closing again.

Then a smile formed. "Joking! Haha." Jongin said loudly before abruptly moving his arm around Kyungsoo before creating a safe distance between them.

"I am going to the toilet." Jongin chucked down on full glasses of wine before standing up,leaving the older all flattered.

Jongin spent about 15 minutes in the toilet, calming himself down (NOT IN THAT WAY) before he was ready to go out and face the older again. He said and thought he could hold alcohol well but his head was now swimming around as he felt tipsy. Probably because it had been a long time he hadn't drunk that much.

When he got back in the living room, he saw Kyungsoo with his head hung low. When the younger was gone, Kyungsoo had drunk like 3 more glasses to calm down his rapidly beating heart but that only made it worse.

He sat down quietly beside the older, eyes fixed on the TV though his vision was hazy and his mind was definitely not there.
He glanced at the older only to saw him looking down at something, so focused on it with his tongue poked out at the corner of his lips.

Then Jongin realized he was trying to put his old screen protector on his phone. He laughed, his head leaning back on the sofa. But Kyungsoo paid no attention to him

"Hyung, what are you doing?" He moved closer to Kyungsoo in a swift motion with a smile on his face.

"Putting this back on my phone." The older muttered. "You won't be able to do that neatly!" Jongin joked, giggling.

"I can!" Kyungsoo turned to look at him, pouting. Yep, Kyungsoo was definitely drunk. And jongin was too.

"No, you can't! He retorted back like a kid.
"I can!" Kyungsoo's cheeks were tinted red and he just looked irresistible to the younger.

"You can't." It came out merely as a whisper. Jongin's eyes were now on the older's lips.

"I ca---" In a mere seconds, Jongin leaned forward so fast, pressing his lips firmly onto Kyungsoo's.

Jongin had been wanting to do this forever.

 

A/N- something something might go on in next chapter *wink wink*