Chapter 15

Pretending

A/N- Comments are always welcomed & very much appreciated <333

Jongin pulles his coat tighter as the wind got colder the more he walked forward. He decided to clear his head and got some coffee after reading and signing piles of papers. He was still not a fan of coffee but at least he could bear drinking Latte. Baekhyun volunteered to buy it for him but he declined. Jongdae's words from yesterday kept replaying in his head despite jow much he pushed it nack.

"They---they are ex boyfriends.." Jongin felt like he couldn't breath the moment the words slipped out of Jongdae's lips.

"What? Tell me--tell me more." His voice came out in a harsh commanding tone.

"I am sorry..But please tell me more." He apologised back after seeing how his tone frightened Jongdae.

"They--they dated for like 3 years back in college. Everyone thought they're gonna end up together but they broke up a year after In sung hyung graduated and went abroad." Jongin was now sitting in front of the other man,other people in the office glancing at their way curiously as they walked out to head home.

"Why?" Jongin asked,trying to know more.

"Insung hyung--he got married when he was in New York. Kyungsoo only knew of it was the end of their relationship when he found out about that on news and from a apology message from him." The tanned male clenched his jaw so hard, imagining how Kyungsoo mught have felt.

"It was a difficult time for Kyungsoo. He barely ate and slept. I had to drag him out of his room..." Jongdae trailed off with a sigh,his face significant of how his thoughts were travelling back to those days.

"I...Thank you,Jongdae. For telling me." Jongin stood up shakily with a timid smile to which the other male nodded.

"Jongin" He turned back to look at Jongdae,who called out just when he was to walk away.

"I might be wrong but......I feel like you like him..Please take care of our Kyungsoo." Jongin was taken by surprise and got embrassed at him knowing it but nontheless,he nodded slowly with a small smile.

Jongin did like Kyungsoo. But it was one-sided after all.

▪▪▪▪
With these thoughts and he was already at the door of these small yet cozy cafe. The door bell chimed and he was greeted with a polite smile from the waiter near the door,which he replied to with a smile too.

His steps headed to the counter but it halted when his eyes caught the sight of two familiar figures,seated at the right far corner of the small shop. Jongin just stood there, obliviouw of the quizzical stares of the girl behind the counter. He inhaled deeply and let out a shaky breath when the obviously taller and older guy reached out his hands towards the other guy to hold the latter's hands in his own. The smaller guy was just sitting still. He couldn't see the smaller one as he was giving his back side,but he knew who he was.

It was Kyungsoo,whose hands were held on the table by Jo Insung.

▪▪▪▪▪
"Do you want to come with me?" Jongin looked up in surpise to see Kyungsoo standing awkwardly in front of where he was sitting.

"What?" He asked,dumbfounded of what the older was trying to say. Kyungsoo shifted on his feet,still awkward,as he tried his best to remiain the eye contact.

"Sehuh..he is not free today to go with me there and I thought you might wanna come along.." Jongin's lips formed an O in realisation of how Kyungsoo wanted him to come along to where he and that younger guy had been going. As much as he felt happy to be called by the older, he knew sadly that it was only because the Sehun guy couldn't come with him.

"Urm..sure. let me just take my coat and the car key."

▪▪▪▪▪
Jongin was more than surprised when Kyungsoo requested to drive to the Seoul Hospital. The thoughts of why they were going there swam around his head during the whole rather silent drive. They didn"t talk much. Just a few occasional glances here and there and Jongin felt okay with that.

He walked side by side,not too close yet not too far,their arms brushing as they walked. Kyungsoo casually greeted the nurses at the reception counter when they got to the 4th floor and Jongin's surprise grew bigger together with the curiousity.

It was cold whn they went into the particular hospital room. Kyungsoo walked near the bed and Jongin just stood at the door awkwardly,not knowing what to do.

"You can come near,Jongin." The older chuckled lightly and only then Jongin walked slowly towards Kyungsoo.

"I am not sure I have every talked to you about him but meet my younger brother,Kangsoo." Jongin opened and closed his mouth several times,too surprised to utter a word. He did hear Kyungsoo saying something about brother and hospital fees on the phone before they were married.

"He---what happened?" Kyungsoo replied nothing for quite a few seconds,staring down at his brother on the white bed.

"Car accident." He didn't elaborate further and Jongin decuded not to ask further. He believed the older will open up when he felt ready to.

Seated not very far,he watched Kyungsoo taking out the flowers they bought on the way,putting it in the vase beside the bed and after that, Kyungsoo wiping his brother's hands and legs very gently with a wet towel. Jongin wondered how it would be to have someone like Kyungsoo as a brother. Maybe their meeting wouldn't be complicated as it was now.

▪▪▪▪▪
They got back home and yet Kyungsoo had not talked about it yet. Jongin felt like asking it first yet,he didn't overstep the boundaries which they had placed since the first time. It was a big mistake. Their meeting was a mistake. Jongin wondered if he would have a chance with the older if they ever met differently.

"Here,hot chocolate." Jongin looked up in surprise when Kyungsoo handed hin a cup

"Am I a kid?" Jongin chuckled,but took the cup anyway

"I know you like it" the older replied with a smile as he sat besude the tanned male

"So...about my brother..." Kyungsoo looked hesitant,his hands funbkubg with the cup in his hand.

"Hyung,I understand if you don't wanna talk about this right now " Kyungsoo shook his head gently.

"It's okay..Well,urm......So...he was only 15 when it happened. The accident happened on my high school graduation day." Kyungsoo started softly.

"Oh....Hyung..."

"I went to the school first for reharsa,I think and my parents and brother were coming later. It was raining hard by that time. I was rushing them too and got very upset when they explained they wiuldn't be there on time when the ceremony started due to the heavy traffif jam." Jongin turned his body more than halfway towards Kyungsoo,giving all his attention to the older who had his head low.

"I muted my phone before the ceremony started. That was how I missed all those calls and messages. I only knew about it when my aunt came to the school.........They said a truck slipped on the highway and jammed right into my parent's car at the junction...and that they--they passed away on the spot..Only my brother lived but he had been in that stage for 8 years,Jongin." Jongin inched closer to the older,who hid his face in his palms.

"I blame it on myself. Maybe if I didn't"t rush them--maybe if I hadn't been so selfish--none of these would have happened---" With that,Jongin wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo,bringing the latter into his chest as he rest his head gently on top of the other's.

"No. No. No. No. It is not your fault,Hyung. Don't think that way." He said in a soft gentle tone,his hand rubbing the older's back in comfort.

"They kept telling me to give up on Kangsoo since it's been 8 years and all--but I can't--I can't do that--" Kyungsoo gripped on his shirt tighter.

"You don't have to,hyung. You are not alone anymore,I am here now." The last lart came out merely as a whisper.

"Thank you. For telling me all this. I feel trusted." Jongin muttered while they were still in the same position for like five minutes before Kyungsoo backed out alittle, his ears bright red because of their position they were in. Jongin internally whined at the loss of Kyungsoo's"s warmth.

"I am sorry." The older apologised, appearantly embrassed. Jongin shook his head with a small smile.

"Don't"t be." Jongin replied breathless as he got alittle distracted. Who wouldn't be when your crush's plump lips was just centimetres away that he could even feel his warm breath on your face.

Jongin took his chance. He knew he shouldn't but he did it anyway as he dived in,pressing his lips onto Kyungsoo's. It was just like that for a few seconds before Jongin took courage again,when Kyungsoo was not pushing him,that he moved his lips gently against Kyungsoo's and his hand moved to caress Kyungsoo's cheek.

That was when the older was pulled out of trance and pushed him away lightly,standing up. Away from Jongin

"We can't--we can't do this,Jongin. We can't!" As much as he knew how it was his fault for coming onto Kyubgsoo so suddenly,Jongin's chest tighted at this rejection.

"Why?" He asked softly,looking up at the shorter who frowned at his question.

"Is this because of your ex boyfriend,Jo Insung?" It came out of jis lips before he could stop and he felt like his heart was torned into pieces when Kyungsoo's eyes widened slighlt.

"How did you know?" Jongin scoffed at the question.

"Why didn't you tell me back then? About you two's history." He retorted with a question instead.

"Because there's no reason to. It doesn't matter anyway" Jongin stood up abruptly,frustration rising in him.

"It does matter! I am your husband! We are married!" His voice cane out high.

"On paper,Jongin. A pretend marriage!" Kyungsoo equally shouted back,emphasising carefully on the words. Jongin's breath hitched at the older's words,which was the utter truth.

"Right..Yeah,you're right." He chuckled like a mad man amidst their argument before hrabbing tje wallet anf car key. "Then I bid you two a life long happiness. Last long." With that,he stormed out of the room,leaving Kyungsoo behind in confusion and an ache in his heart.