Fireworks

Narcissist - Chanbaek

Packing was fun. I had never moved or gone on holiday before, in fact, I rarely travelled at all because of my mum so this was a first experience and I was ecstatic. I skipped and sung around my room whilst pulling various items of clothing and accessories out of their usual places and heaping them into a suitcase.

I took good caution of wrapping the photoframes from my mantelpiece in bubble wrap and arranging them in a box.

The frames held lost memories of a happy family I could never meet again; a handsome, grinning man with thick, caring arms that were wrapped around a beautiful, smiling woman with rosey cheeks and shining eyes. My mum was almost unrecognisable. Her once bright face had become frail and dizzy and I missed the way she would gaze lovingly at my father for minutes on end as if she was getting lost in a wonderful galaxy. She had the most desirable personality too. Anybody and everybody meant something special to her, whether that be a frail homeless man sleeping on a bench or a stuck-up business man that she happened to be aquainted with, she cared for everyone as if they were her child and that's what made her such a perfect mother. She would do everything in her power to make our family as happy as we could be and fix all our problems, even if that meant making a sacrifice of her own she believed it was always worth it. But then one day a problem arrose that she couldn't fix no matter how hard she tried. We fell apart. Before, each jigsaw piece fit perfectly but then my father stole a square away, he ruined us, he left my perfect mother and our perfect life, taking that damn puzzle piece and finding a new place for it to slot it into, as if my mum wasn't good enough for him. She became a self-loathing, disappointed wreck because of it. My dad's love gave her confidence and motivation, now whenever she looks at herself in the mirror she can only see the bad parts and the reasons why he is gone. She doesn't want to remember, so she drinks. Daily, nightly, hourly she tips the bitter memories out of their bottles and into her stomach. I wish I could go back to the time when we were happy.

A single tear upon my cheek interrupted my thoughts and reminded me of the situation at hand; how the hell was I going to shut this suitcase? The items I had collected from around my room amounted to be twice the size of my only bag. This was going to cause a problem.

I tried just about everything to shut the case; I sat on it, jumped on it, lay on it but it still wouldn't zip up. I didn't want to ration what I wanted to bring with me so I called Chanyeol.

"Urm, Chanyeol." I greeted as he picked up the phone.

"Hello." I could tell he was smiling brightly just from his refreshing tone of voice.

"I can't fit all my stuff into my suitcase. I only have one. Do you have a spare?" I felt rude for asking.

"Mmm, I only have two and I'm using both of them," He paused, I assumed he was looking for something to help. "Ah, I still have some room in one of them. We can share it."

I sighed in relief. "Thank you, Yeol. You're a life saver."

"Should I come and pick you up on the way and we can pack it then? Dad's letting me borrow his car."

"That would be great. Thanks again."

"See you in a bit," He hung up to finish packing.

My skin tingled in excitement as a hurried and skipped around my room making sure I hadn't forgotten a thing.

Within an hours time Chanyeol was standing at my front door,  suitcase in hand, furiously ringing the doorbell. I stumbled down the stairs at full speed and swung the door wide open.

"We're moving!" I shouted at the top of my lungs as I tackled him with a hug.

"Yes we are!" He cheered back.

I quickly pulled away from the hug and scrambled back up the staircase as if I was an excited child on Christmas. Chanyeol followed, eyes twinkling. Together we split one another's belongings between our suitcases eventually managing to zip them up after piling our bodies on top of them in attempt to flatten the contents. Then we both stood up having broke into a sweat from the struggle and grinned.

"I'm so excited, Chanyeol. This is going to be the most amazing time!" With a smile stretching from cheek to cheek Chanyeol nodded as I spoke, causing his hair do bob around- I loved it when it did that.

With great difficulty we hauled the luggage down the stairs and out the front door. A tiny dark blue car was waiting for us on the road. After helping Chanyeol squeeze our bags into the boot I quickly rushed back inside to say good-bye to my mum. She was lying on the sofa watching her favourite show when I leant over and kissed her on the cheek. "I will visit you, I promise." I hopelessly tried to hold back my tears. Words can't describe how much I cared about her, I worried every second that I was not by her side. She looked up at me.

"You're going to have a perfect life, Baekhyun." I watched as water formed in the corner of her eyes. "I will always be so proud of you. Just don't lose yourself along the way. Keep being yourself. Everyone will love you for you."

I bit my lip as a waterfall formed on my cheeks. "I love you, Mum."

"I love you too, Baekie." I gave her several long and sincere hugs before leaving the house. Her words stuck in my head as I walked towards the car in which Chanyeol was waiting patiently behind the wheel. 'Don't loose yourself along the way.'

I climbed into the passenger seat with red eyes and a runny nose.

"Are you ok?" Chanyeol's voice was filled with concern.

I nodded with a sniff. "I'll just miss my Mum, that's all." He leant over and rubbed my arm in comfort. "We can visit as much as possible." He reassured me.

We drove in a comfortable silence to our new dorm. Chanyeol respected the reason  why I was sad and made sure to give me some space during the journey rather than bombarding me with conversation starters or music.

An undeniable grin spread across both of our faces as we got out of the car infront of our new home. Me and Chanyeol were the first to arrive and we entered using our new keys from the manager.

We were going to be living on the second floor of an apartment complex and the space was massive, however with twelve members the rooms would feel quite homely.

Without warning Chanyeol grabbed my hand. His soft skin against mine made my heart beat quicken and my stomach flutter. He dragged me through the apartment, exploring every room with a childish smile. The kitchen was big enough to hold an elephant, the shiny marble floor looked modern and mature whilst the black counter looked fit for the queens breakfast. I wandered who was going to cook.

Chanyeol pulled me into the next room; a comfy lounge with an enormous corner sofa. I immediately eyed the spot closest to the right arm making a mental note to claim it once the rest of the members arrived.

Next we stumbled into a hallway with six bedrooms branching off to the sides. As if the building was on fire Chanyeol stumbled in and out each one with me attatched to his lanky arm. He was trying to find the best room before somebody else could take it. He seemingly settled on the third room on the right.

"Why this one?" I asked, my hand still in his and my stomach filled with butterflies.

"The window and curtains match your room." I glanced at the window on the wall opposite the door and he was right. The navy blue curtains that hung to the sides of a large empty piece of glass looked almost identicle to the one in my room.

"Oh yeah." I exclaimed. "But why is that necessary?"

"I want you to be as happy as possible here." He took my other hand so that now we were face to face. "I want you to feel at home. That's all that matters to me"

Leaning over slightly until he was a similar height to me, Chanyeol's face was only inches away from mine. Every centimetre  of my body lit up in anticipation. I felt as if a million fireworks were erupting inside my stomach. His breath was warm against my lips as he came closer and I closed my eyes.