Cherry blossom

Narcissist - Chanbaek

When I re-entered my own room Kai was sitting on the bottom bed of the bunk with a phone a few inches away from his face. He looked up as I hauled my clothes towards the wardrobe and began sorting them onto hangers and into draws.

"Do you want top or bottom bunk?" He asked as he switched his phone off and stood up.

"I don't mind" I smiled. I was lying, of course I wanted the top bunk.

"Is it ok if I have the top bed then?" A childish smirk slipped onto his face.

I sighed internally but managed to keep a chill exterior. "Go ahead." I had finished filling the wardrobe and dragged my feet towards my new bed as Kai climbed the creaky ladder to his. It wasn't late, yet we still slumped onto our matching blue bed covers with exhausted bodies.

A tired silence filled the small room; I hated silence.

"Kai?"

"Yeah?" His voice was sleepy and deep.

"Are you nervous for debut?"

"A bit, but I think we'll do great. We have nothing to worry about."

His confidence was reassuring but I still felt an impending pressure in the pit of my stomach. 'MAMA' would be the first impression of us to a lot of people, we had to be perfect and that meant no mistakes or trip ups. Is that even possible?

"I guess so." My voice trailed off.

After a short pause Kai spoke again"Baekhyun, we're good friend's, right?"

"Of course." I had become very close to everyone in EXO recently and loved them like brothers.

"So, I can tell you anything?" His voice was subtly shaky and he seemed nervous.

"Of course." I repeated in a friendly tone in hopes to help him feel more comfortable.

The conversation faded slightly as he seemed to be contemplating his next words. I stayed as quiet as possible, giving him  all the time he needed until he was ready to tell me. I liked this side of myself; being the centre of attention is exhilarating to me but I am undeniably a great listener and I'm always there for my friends whenever I'm needed.

Kai shuffled around on the bed above me before continuing the conversation,"I think I like someone."

Suddenly my mind erupted with questions. I was like a child on Christmas: curious of what's inside every box and present, eager to know more.

"Aw, that's good," I felt somewhat awkward trying to hide my curiosity.

"It's not good, Baekhyun. I think I like someone from EXO"

I can't lie, I was surprised. Desperately rummaging through my thoughts, I searched for something to say but the complete and utter shock that hugged me prevented my brain from functioning properly.

Kai curled up into his bedsheets and groaned, "I'm sorry. I know it's weird."

"No! It's not weird at all." I hurriedly reassured him. "I suppose it's a good time to tell you that I'm in the same situation."

For a few seconds we said nothing, then Kai sat up and climbed down the ladder of the bunk bed. He reluctantly bundled onto my bed and crossed his legs like a school kid. Imitating his position so that we were both facing each other I subtly invited him to speak.

It was now 7pm and the sky was growing dark. Surrounded by blue covers and dim light we dug deeper into our conversation.

"Who do you like?" He asked as if it wasn't obvious that me and Chanyeol were a little more than friends.

"Me and Chanyeol are... in a relationship." I unconsciously avoided the word 'boyfriend' as it still struggled to say it out loud.

"Oh." He nodded with a miniature smirk. In my mind I decided to officially name his side smiles 'Kai smirks' as they have begun to become a signature feature. "That explains a lot."

"Your turn." At this point I didn't feel burdened to make him as comfortable as possible, me revealing my intimacy with Chanyeol meant he now owed me.

He blushed as he averted his eyes. "I think..." pausing nervously he adjusted how he was sitting, still looking away, "I like Kyungsoo."

A thousand obvious gestures I had seen Kai make towards Kyungsoo before came to light in my head. It felt like it should've been obvious yet I never noticed.

"Oo, cute." I teased childishly, Kai grabbed my bed covers and pulled them up over his face to hide his rose red cheeks. I could hear his muffled giggled into the mattress which encouraged me to even more.

"Kai and D.O sitting in a tree," I sung whilst poking the lump of blue bed covers that was Kai. "K-I-S-S-I-N-G" As I half-shouted the playground song I lifted the covers and crawled under them to find Kai curled in a ball with a bashful grin. I giggled at his vulnerable state and he jokingly hit my arm in reply, starting an inevitable play fight. What can I say? I'm a child in the body of a 20 year old.

 We struggled under the covers, throwing weak punches and pushing each other from side to side with gritted teeth and scrunched up noses. We filled the room with giggles and shouts completely disregarding our surroundings. That was until my bedcovers were violently whipped away. I was currently sitting on Kai's chest holding his wrists; he was desperately trying to smack me in the face. We froze as we were suddenly exposed to the air of the bedroom, I didn't dare to look up at who had just discovered us. A deep, raspy voice confirmed that Chanyeol was standing in the middle of the room with my blanket in his tightened fists.

"Baekhyun?" His voice seemed hurt and jealous, "What are you doing?" I quickly gathered that he had got the wrong impression of the situation and climbed off Kai's chest.

"It's not what it looks like." I tried to lighten the atmosphere by adding a subtle chuckle to my sentence. "We were play fighting."

Chanyeol gave me a inquisitive look.

"It's true. He was teasing me for..." Kai stopped in his tracks when he realise what he was about to say. "Sorry if you didn't like that." He bowed his head. "I won't touch him again."

The tall boy standing in front of us softened his facial expression until he was smiling at us. I relaxed my tense shoulders, the anxiety I had that he would take this the wrong way faded.

"It's ok. I'm just annoyed you didn't include me." He joked subsequently easing up the atmosphere. "I am the best fighter here after all." I looked to the side with a false cocky expression. I laughed at his embarrassing acting, throwing a pillow at him in hopes he would shut up. He laughed too.

"The manager's gone home. He told us to make some food and go to sleep. I was told to tell you, you need to come to the dining area."

Kai jumped off the bed and scuttled out the room and towards the kitchen, probably to see what is being cooked.

I approached Chanyeol after standing up with a grin on my face. He looked down at me with loving eyes. I adored his smile; the way he left his mouth slightly open so that there was a gap between his top and bottom teeth, how his eyes wrinkled at the corners yet still shone widely, and how his cheeks became round and chubby like a hamster's was so beautiful to me. But the one thing I loved the most about it was that it was made just for me. I yearned to kiss his rosy lips so that he had a reason to keep that smile for the rest of the night, I never wanted to see it fade, not for as long as I live.

It's impossible for me to physically or verbally describe how wonderful Chanyeol made me feel but I wanted to scream it to the world. Every time we made contact I felt like a flurry of petals were dancing in my stomach just like the flowers of a cherry blossom do when the wind catches it's branches. This feeling was like nothing I had ever experienced before, even so I knew exactly what it meant.

"I think I love you, Park Chanyeol."

"I think I love you too, Byun Baekhyun."

And there it was again; that exhilarating explosion of colourful fireworks filled my heart as Chanyeol leaned in. He kissed me softly on the forehead as if I was a delicate porcelain doll, his lips were soft and beautiful like the petals falling from the cherry blossom tree inside my stomach, his hands that held mine were as gentle as the wind that carried them. I felt as if I could fly as I stared into his starry eyes.

Then the fire alarm went off.

Hectic screams from Sehun and Luhan bounced of the walls of the hallway outside my room. Me and Chanyeol sighed simultaneously before heading to the kitchen to find several members frantically dancing round a smoking pot of burnt rice. Chanyeol burst out laughing and practically collapsed in hysterical fits of giggles at the sight of Kyungsoo wafting a tea towel under the fire alarm but failing miserably due to his height.

After grabbing a pair of bright orange oven mittens from the counter I sprinted over to the burning rice and flung it at the sink. Chen bolted towards the tap and turned the knob as far as it would go causing a violent waterfall to flood the pan and spray into my face. Everyone's screaming died down and so did Chanyeol's laughing. All the members looked at me expecting a violent reaction.

"Oops, sorry." Chen winced as he looked up at my soggy, rice-covered face.

My ears turned red in anger as I aggressively pulled off the orange oven mittens. I was about to let out hurricane of furious screams and insults towards Chen's stupidity but a quiet chuckle interrupted me. I glanced to my right to see Chanyeol, still on his knees after collapsing in giggles at Kyungsoo, covering his mouth in a not-so-casual way desperately trying not to laugh at me. Seeing his scrunched up eyes and reddening cheeks dulled my anger, instead I wanted revenge. I smirked (a useless attempt at the 'Kai smirk' because I wanted to look as cool as him) and slyly swaggered towards Chanyeol, I could feel the members eyes following me, wondering what on earth I was planning.

Upon approaching Chanyeol with my beard of soggy, burnt rice he finally cracked and dissolved into laughter. Without another second of hesitation I grabbed his chin with my soaking hands and angled his face so that our noses were less than centimetres away, he suddenly became serious. I saw him glance at my lips with hopeful eyes so I leaned it.

The members surrounding us howled in hilarity. Chanyeol was expecting a kiss, so of course that's what I gave him, except this kiss involved me smashing my face against his, rubbing the wet rice off onto his cheeks in the process. I left him kneeling on the marble kitchen floor in utter shock as I went to the bathroom to clean up.

We ordered chicken instead that night. We also decided to never let Sehun and Luhan cook again and that it was now Chen and Chanyeol's job as they were the only two members that actually understood how to turn on an oven. I can't lie- I was excited to see Chanyeol's cooking skills. I still had a lot to learn about my curly haired boyfriend.

Light's out was at 10pm as ordered by Suho. Having only 20 more days left until debut meant early mornings, instense practicing and late nights from then onwards, and for me it meant constant worrying, awful pressure and growing stress but I knew I could get through it as long as Chanyeol was by my side; that chestnut haired fool that lit up my entire life.