Change

Narcissist - Chanbaek

"I have an idea!" Jongin grinned as he walked into our room and sat on the bed next to me. I switched my phone off and let him speak.

"So, since debut me and Kyungsoo have been getting really close." He smiled even wider as he said Kyungsoo's name. It was clear how much he liked this guy and I was honestly rooting for him.

"And I finally plucked up the courage to..." Jongin paused as he took an excited breath and my skin crawled in anticipation.

Was Jongin planning on confessing to his long-term crush?

"...ask him if he wants to be my roommate!" He finished.

I sighed at the counter productive response. It's been a month since debut- EXO have been together for so long. How much longer will it take before Jongin finally makes a move?

"Why aren't you jumping up and down? I thought you'd be really excited." He pulled a disapointed face.

"I was expecting you to tell me you were ready to tell him how you feel."

"Oh, no. I would never do that."

I face palmed.

"But I thought you'd be excited because if Kyungsoo becomes my roommate it would mean you and Chanyeol would be roommates."

"Oh, right! Of course. I would really love that!" I grinned at the sudden reminder.

"Great. I'll go talk to him now!" Jongin left the room.

The next thing I knew Chanyeol was hauling a lazily packed suitcase through the doorway with an armful of screwed up clothes and random objects. He gave me his wonderful, wide signature grin as he spotted me on the bed with my legs crossed and smile shining.

He threw his stuff onto a stool opposite the bunk bed and ran over to hug me. We both giggled and grinned like toddlers at a birthday party before he pulled away and began to unpack. Jongin had already cleared his stuff away leaving some space for Chanyeol to hang his clothes. Unfortunately he wasn't quite satisfied.

"Uh, Baek?"

"Hm?" I sat on the bottom bunk whilst I watched him dress the hangers with his clothes and tuck them into the wardrobe.

"Can we take some of your clothes out? There's not enough room for all of mine."

His out of the ordinary request suddenly confused me.

"What's wrong with hanging your clothes that don't fit on the coat rack or something?" I asked.

"No, I'd rather have all my stuff in one place. We can put your clothes on the coat rack."

I frowned at him but he didn't seem to notice or at least didn't care.

"Ok." I finally complied and stood up to walk towards the wardrobe. I pushed passed him and unhooked my two thick coats from the rack before noticing Chanyeol's clothes already took up three quarters of the space.

"Um, Yeol? Don't you think it's a bit unfair that you have more than half of the wardrobe yet you're still asking for me to move my clothes?"

He shrugged before leaning over my head and hanging his white jumper which read "HAPPY WITH YOU" (the one we bought on a date that coupled with mine). The contact of him against the back of my head and the sight of the special piece of clothing made me feel more sincere and I removed several more items of clothing and carried them to the coat rack on the opposite side of the room.

"Thanks Baek." He said.

"It's ok." I sighed through a half hearted smile before slumping back on the bed.

Once Chanyeol had done unpacking he slouched over to me and sank into the blue covers to my right. Carefully, he slid his arm round my shoulder and kissed my cheek and I grinned.

"You're pretty today, Baek."

"Only today?" I joked.

"You're pretty everyday. You always have been and you always will be."

The beautiful bubbling in my chest urged me to burrow my head in the crevice of Chanyeol's neck. He cushioned his cheek with my dark hair while we sat quietly.

For some time we remained content in the company of one another. Chanyeol was the first to break the silence.

"Can I have bottom bunk?"

No.

"But buttom bunk is my bed, Chanyeol." I answered hoping he would hear the disappointment in my voice.

"Yeah but you can move."

My jaw dropped. How rude?

"What has gotten into you!?" I raised my voice as I pulled away from his arms. "You're never usually like this!"

"Chill, Baek. I just wanted the bottom bunk." He widened his eyes as if I was acting absurdly.

"Don't tell me to chill. First you make me move half of my clothes out of the wardrobe to make room for yours. Now you're telling me to move beds so you can sleep were you want!"

He raised his hands in innocence which only got my blood boiling even more.

"Calm down. It's just a bed."

I stared at him in disbelief. I didn't care whether I was over reacting or not- It wasn't 'just a bed' it was my bed and the fact that he had the audacity to try to move me from it fustrated me hugely.

"Well, I'm not moving."

"Stop being stubborn, Baek. I'm too tall for the top bunk so we either sleep together on a tiny single bed or you move."

I paused and let what he said sink in. I was heated with anger at the disrespectful tone in his voice. He had a point but I still wanted to slap the selfish attitude he possessed from his mouth.

"Fine. Let's sleep together then." No way was I giving in that easily.

He let out a short sigh. "Ok. If you say so."

After a short silence I felt comfortable again. The roller coaster of angry then calm emotions Chanyeol was putting me through came to a massive turn causing me to feel more confused than ever.

Maybe I overreacted. Chanyeol was just asking for a favour and I yelled at him under the impression he was being selfish. He didn't deserve it.

"Sorry for getting mad," I said. "And sorry for not doing as you say."

I hung my head embarrassed of my actions but Chanyeol ruffled my hair happily.

"Don't worry, Baek. You're just stressed."

A small part of me didn't believe him though. Chanyeol wasn't the same. Things felt... different.

I managed to brush off the strange feeling when Chanyeol started to run his fingers through my hair like he always does. I leaned in closer and closed my eyes whilst humming the little tune I had made just for him.

'Today's just a bad day.' I convinced myself. 'Nothing has changed.'

That night we fell asleep in eachothers arms watching a Christmas movie on Chanyeol's phone. It was the middle of summer and nowhere near Christmas but the idea of doing something as odd as that seemed appealing at the time.

Fortunately for us Junmyeon didn't come barging into our room in the morning to wake us up because we had a day off. I took the opportunity to lie in until 10 but a rather sudden and annoying wurring sound prevented me from sleeping any longer. A horribly loud buzz echoed in my ears as I desperately tried to block it out and hang on to the tiny thread of sleep and dreams I had left at the time. I tried covering my head with a pillow but the sound still pushed through.

At one point I yelled "Shut up! I'm sleeping." but got no positive reaction.

I cracked open my eyes to a blinding white ceiling light that forced them shut again. Once I had finally adjusted to the brightness of the room I glared at the corner in the direction of the loud buzzing to find Chanyeol sitting idly on a stool running a hairdryer through his hair on full blast.

"Chanyeol. What the hell?"

He switched of the hairdryer and turned to face me with a blank expression.

"I was trying to get a lie in. What are you doing?!"

"I'm drying my hair." The blank expression stayed pasted on his face.

"Do you just not care that people are trying sleep?"

"Not really."

Wow. What a gentleman.

I frowned in utter disbelief at how downright rude Chanyeol was acting. What happened to the Chanyeol that would always care for every member of the group no matter what? What happened to the boy that would feel bad for stepping on an ant? What happened to the person I fell in love with because he would always go out of his way to make sure I was alright? Who is this arrogant imposter with curly hair and chocolate eyes?

A subtle tear crept forward but I blinked it away.

"Why not?" I lowered the volume in my voice and disposed of the anger. My question came out quiet and shaky.

Over and over again I contemplated whether it was me who was changing? Was I just becoming more and more sensitive? Was I overreacting? Either way, an undeniable knot of mixed anger and upset wound around my stomach.

"I've never cared." He brushed off my emotions with a small laugh as if the answer was obvious.

It was a lie and I knew it with all my heart. Chanyeol has always cared more than anyone in the world I just wish I knew what triggered him to change his once beautiful morals.

"That's not true." I muttered at a barely audible volume.

Chanyeol confirmed that he hadn't heard or at least had ignored me when he switch back on the hairdryer and pointed it at his now dry hair. It was clear he was using it as a prop to change the subject.

"We should go out." He yelled over the consistent roar of the hairdryer. "Let's go to that coffee shop we went to on our first date. I promise to finally wear that cheesy matching jumper I bought us if you like."

My mood flipped once again. That coffee shop held wonderful memories of the first date Chanyeol took me on. I remembered us arguing over who paid for the coffee resulting in Chanyeol catching me trying to sneak the money he paid for my drink back into his pocket. I remembered our trip to the cinema and the sad movie, most importantly I remembered Chanyeol's inspiring words he spoke as he held me tight in response to me breaking down as the credits rolled "Crying won't change anything."

I applied that quote to my mother. After realising that feeling sorry and upset for her isn't going to fix her problem (if anything it would make it worse) I taught myself to smile and be cheerful whenever she called my phone instead of worrying myself because no matter how much I cried into my pillow it will never change what has already happened.

"I'd love that, Channie." I gave a small smile except this time it felt a lot less real.

I let Chanyeol get dressed in our room in privacy as I showered. I hated not being able to shower before I go out- I'd always feel stressed and unprepared if I didn't.

Once I had brushed my teeth and dried my hair I reentered my room with a towel around my waist. Chanyeol had already dressed and left the room so I assumed he was waiting for me in the kitchen. I hurriedly jumped into some denim jeans and our white "HAPPY WITH YOU" couple jumper; I smiled at the thought of me and Chanyeol strolling into a coffee shop wearing matching clothes.

Finally I rushed into the kitchen with a pair of black converse in hand whilst shoving my phone and wallet in my pockets.

"I'm excited!" I sung as I rushed to the front step and began slipping into my shoes. Chanyeol chuckled and walked up behind me already ready to leave.

With a bright smile on my face I turned to look up at him; my smile fell as if it had been ripped away by gravity.

"You're not wearing our couple jumper?"

Chanyeol looked down at his grey shirt and denim jacket before looking back up at me.

"It's so cheesy, Baek. I don't want to be seen doing that with you."

My heart shattered. I wanted to scream, cry and yell.

A storm of angry and tearful sentences rushed in my head and I struggled to keep them from passing my lips.

'You don't want to be seen doing that with me? Would that damage your ego?' Screams rattled my skull.

'It's too cheesy for you? I'm sorry for showing I care and I'm proud to be with you.' Cries strangled my heart.

'You promised.' The pain stung my eyes.

"Oh." I said.

We walked into town in silence. Chanyeol strolled comfortably beside me whilst I constantly blinked away tears and solemn questions. Minutes down the road Chanyeol slipped his hand into mine but instead of warming my heart the contact felt sore.

I hated that loving this boy had become so painful so quickly but it was out of my control.

The coffee shop was warm inside, not unpleasantly hot like scorching summer's heat but sweetly welcoming like a hot chocolate on a cold winter night. Chanyeol ordered our drinks at the counter as usual.

"Two Americano's, please."

"Ok, that will be £6.30." The cashier replied after hitting a few buttons on the register. She looked up at the both of us expecting the money but neither of us moved.

Although it was wrong of me I had assumed Chanyeol was willing to pay as he was the one who suggested we came but he didn't seem to be reaching for his wallet; I took the hint.

"You can pay. I forgot my wallet at the dorm." He said even though I had already made it clear I was getting the money.

After paying we found a cosy spot by the window. Chanyeol took his jacket off before sitting down and I couldn't help but notice a leather, folded square poking out from his pocket; his wallet.

He lied.