Maybe...

Narcissist - Chanbaek

Practice ran smoothly that day. None of us made any mistakes which made Suho buzz excitedly. "Our debut is going to be amazing," He beamed. Seeing our leader so happy made us all light up. Despite being completely exhausted I leaped onto my feet and cheered. Chanyeol followed suit and we danced around each other like giggling, giddy elves. Suddenly music filled the room and I looked around to see the rest of the members merrily dancing. The once tense and serious atmosphere that often hung in the Practice Hall had become light and ecstatic. I knew for sure this was going to become the happiest memory of my life. Hope and anticipation overthrew all worries I had about debut. My life with EXO was going to be perfect.

At 11:40pm most members had become tired of celebrating our upcoming success and decided to call it night. One by one everyone packed their bags and left through the white framed door and into the winter night. Everyone except Chanyeol and me who were still grinning and filled with energy. "Are you excited?" Chanyeol struck up a conversation.

"On cloud nine," My hyperactive dancing from before had made me breathless and sweaty. Chanyeol chuckled at my enthusiasm. "Me too."

We both stood staring at each other. The only sound in the room was the ticking of the wall clock that now read 12:00pm. "Should I walk you home?" The tall boy broke the silence as he made his way to the corner where we kept our bags. He picked up both of our stuff and held my coat out for me "It could be unsafe for you to be alone in the dark." He avoided eye contact as his cheeks flushed pink.

"That's sounds like a great idea." I replied shyly as I felt my cheeks heat up to match his. Why do I feel so embarrassed to spend time with a guy? Why do I get butterflies every time he speaks? Is this wrong? "A-actually, no. I'll go alone." I quickly changed my mind.

"Oh, are you sure?" He frowned subtly.

"Don't be weird." I blurted out, instantly regretting it.

Chanyeol's frown became more obvious "What do you mean?" I'd offended him.

Half-joking I mumbled "You're acting like I'm your girlfriend. It's weird." I was too embarrassed to apologise and mindlessly insulted him again. He furrowed his eyebrows, dropping my coat and bag. His breathing got faster as if he was panicking... or angry.

Through gritted teeth he muttered "That's not it." Eye's growing dismal he threw his bag over his shoulder and strode towards the exit. Before he left he turned and said "I just care, Bbaek. Don't embarrass me like that." Then he span around on his heel and stepped into the night.

I stood frozen and shocked by his reaction. Why had he gotten so upset? It was just a joke... I think. A certain cloud of regret gathered in my chest. "Stupid, stupid, stupid!" I hit myself on my forehead with the palm of my hand.

'Just because you have these strange feelings for him doesn't mean he feels the same way' I scolded myself for being so mindless and inconsiderate. Without a second thought I grabbed my bag and coat Chanyeol had dropped before me and hurried out the room, switching the light off before slamming the door behind me.

"Idiot," I muttered to myself as I took off down the path following my tall friend. "Chanyeol!" I called out as a ran up behind him. He kept walking, ignoring my calls. I eventually managed to catch up with his long strides. "I was joking. I promise!" My voice seemed a lot more panicked than I had intended. He didn't answer. I looked up at him as I half-jogged to keep up with his fast pace. His face was violently red and his eyes were glossy with tears that threatened to fall down his heated cheeks. "Are you crying?" I blurted out, trying to lighten the mood. As soon as the words had left my mouth I instantly regretted it.

"Stop mocking me!" He grumbled and stopped walking. His fuming aura startled me. The curly haired boy that stood in front of me with hands in his pockets closed his eyes and sighed. I regretfully watched as his breath turned into white clouds in the cold air. He looked down at me revealing his teary, chestnut orbs. "I'm sorry I made you uncomfortable, Baekhyun. I didn't do it on purpose, I swear. I just want to make you happy because-" He took a shaky breath and starting crying. A thousand panicked thoughts flooded my head. Post-haste I pulled him into a tight hug. As much as I hated how I felt about him I couldn't stand seeing him like this. I desperately tried to bury my butterflies and concentrated on comforting the person in my arms.

"Don't cry. Please. I never want to see you sad. I'm so sorry" I whispered into his chest.

He suddenly pulled out of the hug. "I'm not supposed to feel like this," He looked over the top of my head and spoke quickly, "but I can't deny it. I understand if you don't want to be friends after this and I understand that you think this is weird." He then looked directly into my eyes and said "I like you, Byun Baekhyun!"

Silence quickly surrounded us but a loud explosion of emotion erupted within me. I flicked my eyes away from his and stared at our feet. "It's not weird." my voice was barely audible. I looked back up to find Chanyeol had took off running down the street leaving me stunned on the pathway.

"I like you too," I whispered to myself. "Maybe..."