Ill

Narcissist - Chanbaek

WARNING: This chapter includes the mention of vomit. If you are sensitive to this or would not like to read this chapter feel free to skip. I tried not to include too much detail. Stay happy x

An awful crashing and clanging woke me and Kai up. I bolted upright in surprise as the sound of two frying pans being wacked together filled the dark bedroom. The only light visible was the light from the hall silhouetting our leader, Suho as he stood in our doorway gripping two pots from the kitchen.

"Argh," Kai groaned at the horrific noise.

"Shut up!" Yelled Sehun from the room opposite.

I glanced at the digital clock resting on my bedside table: 6:01am. After giving Suho an unforgiving glare I got up to get washed and dressed, he subsequently left closing the door behind him and choosing Kyungsoo and Chanyeol as his next target.

Seeing as it was practice today I slipped into a pair of comfy joggers, they barely fit round my waist as I had lost a lot of weight since we began practicing for debut. They sagged loosely around my ankles and just about held onto my bony hips.

"Junmyeon, I will kill you!" The deep morning voice of Park Chanyeol thundered through the apartment making the deafening clangs of the frying pan seem meek and half hearted. The fact that he used Suho's birth name gave the situation a sincere vibe and although Baekhyun should've been worrying for the well-being of his good friend he couldn't help but chuckle at the slightly comedic situation.

Once all twelve of us were up and ready to go, some still half asleep with drooping eyelids and scruffy hair, we set off through the front door. The morning air was refreshing and bewildering, after being locked in a crowded dorm for several hours I felt relieved to finally breath the bewildering wind into my lungs.

I walked next to Chanyeol with my small hand subtly cupped in his large bear paws. Frequently our bodies would collide as we strolled unevenly. I kept as close as possible to him in a useless attempt to bury our intertwined hands between our coats so the other members wouldn't see but Chanyeol merrily swung our hands about making the situation more obvious than I wanted, I let him dance along anyway just because it kept that beautiful smile on his face.

"Are you excited? I'm excited!" He sung happily as he skipped by my side.

I gathered he was referring to our impending debut in which I replied "No, I'm terrified." And it was true. I was terrified. To the point were sleeping had become a difficult task as I tossed and turned along with my insides every hour of the night, and eating wasn't easy either; my churning stomach often threatened to reject my food at the thought of performing live onstage.

Chanyeol stopped skipping. "Aw, don't worry, Baek." He squeezed my hand in reassurance. "I promise to be there with you every step of the way! I will never leave your side even if it kills me."

I smiled at Chanyeol's sweetness.

"Really, Baek. You're so special to me and I hate to see you sad so I promise to always be there for you to make you happy. Forever." He continued.

My smile grew larger with every word he spoke. At one point I felt as if my lips couldn't stretch any further yet they still managed to as his soft voice filled my senses.

"I promise to be there for you too." I replied sincerely.

"Forever?"

"Forever and ever and ever and ever!" I laughed childishly as Chanyeol pulled my skinny body into a playful hug.

We both grinned hugely as we trailed behind the members on the way to the practice room. I was drunk and dizzy with happiness as my cold hand rested perfectly in the taller boys grip.

"You're cold" Chanyeol's worried voice interrupted my wondering thoughts. Without another word he stuffed our hands into his pocket and rubbed my tiny fingers. Not only my hands warmed up at that moment; I felt as if my heart was surrounded by glittering sparklers and my skin felt fiery and heated. It had been about a week since me and Chanyeol confirmed our feelings to one another yet I still felt as exhilarated now as I did the first time I caught feelings for him. I loved it and wanted this to last for the rest of my life.

Our destination of the large brick hallway eventually came into view as we turned a corner. Suho was at the door first fumbling with the metal keys with frozen fingers. We all filed in one after the other. Like a gentleman Chanyeol stood back letting me enter before him and I blushed. Kyungsoo spotted his cheesy gesture and rolled his eyes from across the room. I could expect that quite a few of the members were growing tired of our subtle yet constant lovey-dovey actions but I didn't care. Chanyeol was happy and that's all that matters.

Once we had removed our coats and bags music filled the room almost instantly as if dropping our belongings on the floor had triggered a switch. I rushed clumsily to my spot in the group of serious trainees and joined in with the choreography.

Sweaty foreheads and heated bodies leaped seriously around the room. With no time to loose until debut the playground-like atmosphere of the practice room had turned solemn and determined but I was still so worried.

Every step I took against the aging wooden floor caused my stomach to increasingly churn with anxiety but I didn't stop. I had to complete the song. Then came my part, I glided not-so-gracefully to the front with a racing heart and open my mouth mimicking the lyrics silently as my body moved to the beat. As the end of my solo neared my stomach leaped uncontrollably, I opened my mouth once more and...

Gross, watery vomit splashed onto the floorboards in front of me. My vision blurred awfully and my head grew weak as I fell to my knees and collapsed into the disgusting mess I had made on the ground. My sight failed me and I plunged into darkness.

...

Barely conscious and still covered in a stinking thick liquid I attempted to crack open my eyes.

"Argh," I groaned as a dull throb grew in sides of my head.

"Sush, shush. It's ok." Two sturdy although skinny arms were holding me up. One tucked gently around my shoulders so that my held lulled about in my chest and the over wrapped under my legs so that I was being cradled like a sick baby. My cheeks were growing increasingly cold despite the raging heat that swallowed my ears, forehead and body and I could hear the soft beating of a persons heart in the chest my head leant against.

Once again I attempted to open my eyes and reveal to myself the person who was carrying me through the cold but once again my energy failed me and I fell into another dark sleep.

...

When I finally regained a weak consciousness and managed to squint open my eyes I was surrounded my red bedcovers similar to the blue ones I slept on. A cold wet cloth was pressing against my forehead sweetly numbing my banging headache and a warm gentle pair of hands gripped my arm.

"You're awake!" An anxiety ridden voice pierced my ears and I clenched the muscles in my face as my headache pressed against the sides of my head.

"Oh, sorry. Does that hurt?" The voice cautiously lowered it's volume and I opened my eyes fully. I was greeted my a blinding light which blurred my vision before fading into a simple bedside lamp. I was in Chanyeol's room on the bottom bunk; his bed. Then Chanyeol's face came into view and I smiled weakly. His brows were furrowed and his face was wet with worry. He wore a white shirt with ugly puke stains littered on his chest suggesting he was the owner of the arms that carried me home.

"Thank you." I creaked.

"You fainted, Baek. I was so worried." The hands that gripped my skinny arm disappeared and I felt Chanyeol touch the cloth against my head. "I'll cool it down more." he muttered to himself but I grabbed his arm before he could move away.

"It's alright. Just stay here." Not wanting to be alone I rolled on my side so I could wrap both arms around his therefore holding him in place. He didn't complain instead he just gently watched as I rested my pale face against his warm skin once again giving in to my headache and loosing consciousness.

...

It was morning when I woke up again feeling no better, I still felt dizzy and had a destructive migraine that pained me to the point where I could only just move. I half heartedly rose from my position until I was sitting up with open eyes. I was still in Chanyeol's room and could hear merry birds chirping outside the window. An empty wooden chair sat by the bed.

'Chanyeol must have gone to practice,'  I thought. And that's when it dawned on me: every moment I spent feeling woozy in bed was another minute wasted not practicing for debut!

The wall clock read 8:32am. I'd already missed two and a half hours! Without a second to loose I scrambled out of bed. However, after placing my cold feet against the clean cream carpet my knees turned to jelly. THUMP! I fell to the ground like an injured elephant.

THUD, THUD, THUD, THUD, THUD. Panicked footsteps hurried down the hallway outside the room and Chanyeol burst into the room with a bowl of soup and a worried expression.

"What happened!?" He yelled.

"We gotta... go... to..." My throat became claustrophobic and my nose suddenly blocked. I threw my head forward violently as if I was desperately trying to fling it across the room and released another disgusting pile of vomit onto Chanyeol's spotless carpet.

"Oh dear." He sighed as he fearlessly approached my weak body and hauled me onto the bed. "Suho said you have to stay in bed until you're better. I told him I would look after you while everyone is out practicing." He ran his lanky fingers through my greasy hair after tucking me back into the warm red covers.

"Like I said yesterday," he continued "I'll always be by your side no matter what. Now rest. Here's some soup if you need it." With that he attentively placed the hot bowl onto his bedside table before rushing out to gather cleaning supplies for the grotesque mess I had created on the floor. I steamed with heated embarrassment.

As if it was possisble I had literally grown sick with worry for the debut. I prayed to God I would be in good shape for tommorrow if not sooner.

Whilst Chanyeol was cleaning I attempted to sit up and help but he insisted I should stay still so I didn't get any worse. His kindess and caring was overwhelming, nobody had ever been so lovely to me. He didn't do anything to suggest I was burdening him, nor did he show any fustration or digust, he just smiled and my unclean hair.

Whenever mum was ill it was my duty to do what ever I had to to help her feel better, that meant cleaning up, skipping school, going out and (illegally) buying alcohol at her request. By the end of the day I would always be exhausted and sometimes even fuming at her egotistical orders (the fact that she was never sober enough to care for me when I was ill also hugely angered me.) I took good care not to request anything from Chanyeol so that I wouldn't annoy him however, this wasn't too easy because for pretty much every minute of the day Chanyeol spent perched on the chair beside me, either asking if I needed anything or just chatting away- keeping me entertained. Once he even fetched his guitar and played a made up melody of beautiful chords therefore filling the room and my heart with wonderful and colourful tunes.

By the time the 10 boys had arrived back from the practice hall I was feeling considerabley better thanks to Chanyeol (although most of the credit should go to the pills and medicine I digested into my system I thought that the former suggestion sounded more romantic.)

I managed to drag myself out of Chanyeol's bed and down the hallway to the living room with a lanky pair of arms around my waist for support.

"Aw, Baekhyun." Suho pouted sympathetically as my pale face and frail body came into his view. He hurried over and hugged me like a father. Chanyeol let me go and I smiled into Suho's cold coat despite feeling guilty for missing one and a half practice sessions... and for throwing up all over the dance floor.

"Don't worry about the floor, Baekhyun. And you can catch up on the practices- you're a great dancer." Suho replied as if he had read my mind.

"Thanks, Junmyeon." I sniffed. He pulled away from the hug and inspected my ill face.

"Are you feeling any better?" Chen's soft, high pitch voice called over from the sofa.

"A bit. Yeah." My insides bubbled in happiness as I noticed the worried look in every members eyes (excluding Kyungsoo's who were blank and emotionless as usual.)

Chanyeol and Chen cooked a lovely meal for us all that night. A wonderful mixture of rice and chicken scented warmth filled the room as the two trainees cautiously carried in trays of food in their fancy superhero aprons. We all ate deliciously and to add another good happening onto the night I didn't have to clean up due to my unhealthy condition! I smiled in silent glee as I watched the two losers of rock, paper, scissors (Chanyeol and Kyungsoo as usual) groggily stomp into the kitchen with tall piles of dirty plates and cutlery. However, as the pushed through the door Kyungsoo's shoulder lightly brushes against Chanyeol's waist. The action didn't seem very accidental to me and I perked up after noticing the subtle contact. An unwelcomed tiny monster called jealousy began clawing at my insides giving me the same burrowing worry I experienced when Kyungsoo stole my roommate.

As much as I tried to brush it off as an accident that night I still tossed and turned in concern. I felt a pressure to talk to someone about it; get it off my chest but I didn't know who. I couldn't risk telling Kai incase it wrecked his hopeful adrenaline that one day Kyungsoo might return his feelings and I couldn't tell Chanyeol out of fear of seeming like an over protective boyfriend. I sighed in contemplation as I stood outside Luhan and Sehun's room. I wondered whether I was being too serious, after all it was just a second of physical contact. Jealousy's raspy pessimistic voice in my head was determined to convince me otherwise so I raised my hand to knock.

Stupid jealousy.

 

 

Author's note:

So,

This story is awful so far. It's too slow and uneventful.

BUT

Bare with me because there's a good reason for all this.

If only I could type faster and get to the point haha.

Have a good day! 

-Livvi