Awkward Silence

Narcissist - Chanbaek

Chanyeol didn't show up to practice the next day or the day after that for that matter. I increasingly grew worried as the hours passed without him until I finally decided to consult the leader of his whereabouts. "Suho," I called as I approached him. "Do you know if Chanyeol is ok?" Suho looked up from the phone he was holding and replied "He called me and said he was having some family problems. He seemed really upset so I didn't ask any further."

'I really hurt him' I thought to myself. "Would it be ok if you gave me his number?"

After entering the numbers Suho read out to me into my own phone I thanked him and walked across the practice hall and out the door. "I'll only be a second." I called out before shutting myself out. I didn't want anyone to hear what I had to say to Chanyeol.

The call rang once and then went straight to answer phone. Determined to talk to him I called again. This time a low, dead voice answered.

"Who is it?"

"It's Bbaek." I answered using the same nickname he gave me.

The line went silent.

"Are you okay?" I asked, concerned.

Silence again. At this point I wandered whether he had hung up on me.

"Chanyeol, please come back. I... I really want to see you again. I want to talk to you." My voice was filled with unintentional sincerity. The words I originally used thoughtlessly to convince him to come back suddenly felt real.

I listened carefully for a reply. After a few seconds of quiet  I contemplated hanging up before I heard his husky voice reluctantly say "You don't hate me?"

I frowned piteously. He seemed embarrassed and ashamed of his actions. "Channie, I could never hate you."

He sniffled cutely on the other side of the phone. "You're so kind, Baekhyun."

A paused and smiled.

"It's because I like you." At first I couldn't help but grin uncontrollably but then reality hit me like a brick. My throat tightened and my lungs tensed. What I had just said had even shocked me. I quickly hung up before I could hear Chanyeol's reaction. What was I thinking? I sunk to the cold pavement with my back against the walls. Excitement, regret, anger, and relief all danced in my stomach whilst millions of uncertain and questioning thoughts circled my head. I like a guy. I shook my head. I just told that guy that I liked him. I felt like pulling my hair out. What will mum think? What will the rest of EXO think? I began playing out all the worst case scenario's in my head. Each one ended awfully which caused a ball of distress and panic to grow bigger and bigger inside me until I felt as if it would tear through my ribcage.

"I'm an idiot!" I groaned as I hung my head in my hands. Jumping as I felt something brush against my arm I looked over to see Chanyeol had sat next to me against the wall. His nose had turned red from the chilly February weather and he was out of breath. He must've rushed straight to the practice hall once I had hung up.

"I don't think you're an idiot," he said shyly. I looked into his slightly red eyes. I assumed been crying earlier today. Somehow relieved to see his face, without a second thought I pulled him into a hug and burrowed my head in his chest. At first he tensed up but soon rapped his lanky arms around me. The worries that clouded my mind before retreated. I felt safe in his arms. As if I was untouchable.

Despite the cold wind surrounding us every part of me wanted to pause time and stay on the pathway outside the practice hall with Chanyeol forever. Unfortunately the odds were against me as Tao opened the door and poked his head out. "Suho says it's time to c- oh" his eyes widened as he spotted us sitting on the pavement. We quickly separated and awkwardly stood up, brushing the dirt from the floor off our clothes. Tao looked at Chanyeol then at me then back to Chanyeol a grin slowly growing on his face. "Hi Chanyeol" He smiled then moved away from the entrance so we could both come inside. Tao winked at me as I walked passed him and I felt myself blushing. He knows.

Practice went on later than usual mostly because of me. I was flustered and ended up bumping into Kyungsoo, Lay, and Xiumin during the choreography. Every time Chanyeol would laugh hysterically whilst the other members sighed hopelessly.

"Aah, sorry!" I groaned as I knocked into Kyungsoo for the second time causing him to topple over. He glared at me.

"Ok, let's call it a day!" Suho called as he stopped the music. I helped Kyungsoo stand and Chanyeol came over to taunt him. He wacked him on the arm in response and Chanyeol laughed again. It made me feel so happy to see him smile again. I thought I had destroyed our entire friendship.

As the members left the hall in one's and two's I stalled until me and Chanyeol were the only two people left.

I took a deep breath in attempt to calm the excited and nervous tickle in my lungs. "Channie," I called merrily. "Could we walk home together?" I asked. "It's t-too late to be alone." I stuttered.

Chanyeol glanced at the clock. 1:23 am. "Ok" he smiled.

An unbearable awkward silence followed us down the path. We walked with a gap large enough for another person to fit between us and shared frequent glanced at each other. I blushed every time I caught his eye. We had walked halfway to my house without a word.

Without warning the tall boy next to me cleared his throat and asked "If you like me would you go out with me?" I stared ahead with wide eyes. Before I knew it a smile spread across my lips "I'd like that." Silence greeted us again except this time we both walked with childish smiles on our faces.

When we reached my front door Chanyeol spoke again. "Tomorrow before practice?" He ruffled the back of his hair. I noticed he often did this when he felt embarrassed or awkward. I smiled and nodded before opening my front door and waving good-bye to the brunette boy on my doorstep.

After shutting the door I looked through the peep whole to see Chanyeol smile from ear to ear. He then turned and made his way back onto the path punching the air excitedly as he walked. 'How cute?' I thought.