7 That Red Wine Coat

Fluffy December

One look from you girl and it’s too hard to get by
But excuse me girl, I’ve been watchin’ you
All night’ that’s right, I’d like to
Take this night over
What I’m tryin’ to say is you should be mine

– Be My Girl (JYJ)

***

“Which one do you prefer?”

Taemin put the shoe in his hand back to the display, head tilted to the right, and brows knitted together in question, “What’s the different between them?”

“Are you kidding me? On my left hand is loafer and on the left is moccasin.”

“I’m not that idiot, you know. I mean both are coffee color, why bother chose side?”

I rolled my eyes back and placed the moccasin to the former rack, since I think the loafer looks better on me and Taemin is not the right fashion police at time, “Oh boy, you really need some education. Dragging you outside the library is the rightest thing to do.”

“Don’t be funny! I’m here because Minho’s busy at the first place.”

Grin crossed my face while Taemin only scoffed and turn his back to the hanging set of jacket. Well, I’m caught guilty by making him the second option every single time Minho’s too captivated by his basketball team. Jonghyun is always outside catching some girls to flirt with and the left out one is Taemin who’s never questioning anything as long as he got at least five bottles of banana milk and a box of pizza.

“Is this looks good on me?”

Eyes locked to the grand mirror in front of him, a jet black vintage leather jacket wrapped his limb firmly, making such a great picturesque human being out of five years old pouty boy.

“Where the hell have I been this time?” I rushed to his side and straighten his body and fold one sleeves of the jacket up. Pull away for a second, I leaned closer to ruffle his hair.

“What are you doing?”

“Lee Taemin, I pronounced you as my new part time model. Minho might be y but you’re multiples time hotter. Raw hot.” He stunned before me, but lips failed to hold not to purse up. Best part of being photographer assistant is to scout hidden talent and enjoying them admiring their new look, “How about dyeing back you hair blonde?”

“I will kill you at the first attempt.”

Cracked by his innocent rage, I drag him to the cash desk, “Come on. I’ll buy you this.”

“Really?! Quite expensive even for me!”

“Let’s say it’s an early Christmas present and seal our agreement to be work partner.”

“It’s just October and I haven’t said yes!”

We’re arguing each other about how things would work for the next couple issues of magazine when a young woman passed by us, face red in anger, hair jumbled out it place, and mouth cursing unstoppably. Taemin’s definitely shocked by that view and I just wonder what kind of lost put her in rage.

“Welcome.” The girl behind the cash desk welcomes me groggily and I started undressed the jacket from Taemin.

“I want to take this, please give me the new one with this size,” she nodded and gave her coworker a cue, “Can I use this card?”

I flashed my employee card and she stiffened by the name of company written on it and changed her expression immediately with the gleeful one, “Of course.”

“What exactly happened to the lady just now? She looked like came back from a world war,” Taemin leaned to the counter and waiting for the answer in a distress look. Oh, boy, not that detective expression, he watched Sherlock too much.

“She just had fought with a man over there.”

Taemin and I are driven to the direction she pointed to just to find a dark haired guy, big red tote bag hung on his wide shoulder matched so well with his dark jeans and white tee under the oversized blazer, sharp eyes checking the coat in his hand.

“That was the last coat. They caught it almost at the same time. She said it’s ladies apparel but the guy over there shrieked right on her face insisted that said coat is uni.”

Well, well, what a familiar scene. Few days ago, when I picked some outfits from a boutique for a photoshoot, I saw him yelling over a teenager who happened being his rival on a limited comic tee. And the other week when I was waiting for the receipt after I brought back the borrowed items at the other store, he slyly snatched pair of last boots placed aside by another customer which turned out initially soon-to-be-purchased and innocently said that he placed dib first.

Indeed, he has some senses of high fashion judged by his appearance.

“Thank you for your purchase,” the girl at the register casually hands me the jacket pretends that we’re not just finished gossiping about someone.

Taemin takes the shopping bag and leads me to the front door. When we passed the alley near him, the said man just glanced over the fabric making those slanted eyes more intimidating, sending me sudden shiver all over the skin.

He smirks. I shake my head off and clenched tighter to Taemin’s arm.

***

“Miss _______!”

“Yes!”

“You stuffs are here.”

Collecting papers around me, I get up from my seat to approach the owner of pretty voice just now. The owner of the boutique struggle with some boxes in her hand, her face almost fully covered by the stacks.

“Let me help you.”

“Thank you,” the weight swiftly moved to my hand and I quickly put it down the sofa near me before I fall ridiculously, “Can you wait a bit more? There’s another bags you need to take but my assistant is called off sick today, so ––”

“It’s okay! I have enough time!”

Smile adorns her small face and she dashed to the stockroom behind her. When I’m about to sit at the chaise, I heard someone’s almost screaming for her dear life.

“That’s mine!”

“You left it on the bench!”

Oh my God, not that man again. Enough drama for today, the fighting models at the studio already boiled my brain to the highest rate. I don’t need another people yelling at each other.

“I’m going to try it later. It was placed nicely next to my bag and you stole it!”

“How dare you accuse me for such a thing! And how can I know that was your bag?!”

“I don’t care I want it back! Now!”

“Founder keeper, loser! Excuse me! I want this too! Put it together with the other stuff!”

A young shopkeeper rushed toward them. Before he managed to move the said apparel to her arm, the other girl cut him on the way. Here we go another round of chicken fight. The boutique suddenly loses her luxury and turned into traditional market where middle age women could battle out over potatoes.

“What the heck is this?” the boutique owner rushed out the stockroom and I welcome her with shrug and enjoy the scene behind me, “Oh my God! Mr. Kim! What’s happened?!”

Another player’s entering the battle ground, seems like I need to wait for a little longer. Why I had to agree picking the wardrobe today? Oh, yeah, the models riot. What had I done to deserve another riot after leaving one? As expected, after almost fifteen minutes shouting I can’t take it anymore. They need a smart referee to end the brutal game.

“Excuse me, Miss.”

“Shut up or I kill you!”

Taken aback I just gulped down the air stuck on my throat. What’s so special with this clothes that people voluntary being a mass murderer?

“I’m coming to help you. You said you like that white outer right?”

“Who are you?!”

The boutique owner, two shopkeepers, a young man from the register, and even the said Mr. Kim snapped quiet and focusing on me straightaway. I take a deep breath one last chance just in case she poked my neck later.

“A photographer assistant and personal stylist. May I recommend you something better than that?” when nobody’s trying to attack me after, my confidence gained up all over my chest, “Yes, that outer is magnificent. But, no offense, judged by your body shape, it would cover your beauty. How about the one displayed at the front? It came in two color choice. I’m sure that would frame your body perfectly. And after it appears in our magazine, people would hunt them down and you couldn’t have it anymore.”

“It will be inside the magazine?”

“That’s why I’m here.”

“Where is it now, tell me!”

A shopkeeper catch my eyes and she volunteer herself before the storm started again, “Please this lady to the front.” She nods and helps the young woman gather her belonging.

“I owe you one.” The boutique owner held my hand as if it were something precious. The crowd slowly back to their respective place, “I’ll get your stuff as soon as possible. Stay here.”

Only weak smile able to hang on my face, I’m too tired giving another respond, so I sit down at the nearest stool and reach my phone, can’t wait to tell Jonghyun what just happened here five minutes ago.

“How can a woman do stuff like that?” someone’s muttering on my left.

I cocked my head left and tall man came to my sight. His cheek bones and pale skin caught my attention at once, it looks unreal, I would believe he’s not from this universe. Wide back’s waiting to be trailed down, dark locks are ready to be . When he shakes his head whilst curling his bow lips up to make such a smile, I almost forget that he’s the same guy who’s childishly fight over clothes just now. From the side, I can see his jawline perfectly carved under the cheek to the chin and wonder how many blocks of cheese he could slay with that sharp thing.

He caught me red handed scanning all over his built when he turned his back facing my direction. Slowly I drift my eyes to my phone just to curse myself internally.

“Nice shoes, by the way.”

Even his voice different from what I’ve heard before and sound unreal.

“Eh?”

He just pulled out his cold and simple beam to me then continues walking coolly passed me to the register.

***

“Do you know any quite striking Mr. Kim around you who happened to be inside this fashion industry?”

The question rolled out my mouth abruptly when Jonghyun and I are hanging on the rooftop of our office after lunch. It’s outrageously non sense that in every store I visited for these past months, at least two times in a week I encounter this uber cool human being who’s cold as first snow yesterday.

“He sits right beside you, idiot.” Jonghyun moves his eyebrows up and down playfully.

“Ugh, gross, I forgot to tell you that this Mr. Kim is tall––  OUCH!! ARE YOU NUTS?!!??!”

My arm stings by Jonghyun’s trademark slap and he stayed calm munching his sloppy joe as if nothing’s just happened.

“Did my forehead read information center?!”

“Where Tiffany’s lived?”

“Green Apartment near your favorite bagel shop. Floor 12.”

“And what’s Luna’s favorite underwear?”

“Everything blue. Especially the sky blue one. And she would be more thrilled with the la––“ he glanced at me who leaned front the wooden table and placed both hand under the chin, “Fine! You win!”

“That’s my buddy.” I pat his fluffy hair lightly which reminds me of Taemin’s dog.

“Two people. First, the older one. He owned a fashion line who recently started using eco fabric and the world’s gone insane. Second, th––“

My phone’s flashing Minho’s face and I knew it always be good news once he called because if nothing’s important, he didn’t even text me. I raised my hand to Jonghyun and pick it up without ado, “Yes, _______’s speaking!”

“I saw your dream coat but I don’t have my wallet with me!”

“Where are you now?!”

“The small indie boutique near intersection. The only yellow building among––“

“––the dull ones. I got it! I’ll be there in,” I peek at my wrist watch and bite my lips, “Forty minutes?”

“No freaking way. I need to catch an interview, drive faster!”

“Mind the traffic, idiot! Wait until I came, thirty minutes top!!”

I ended the call and bid Jonghyun reckless farewell. The latter dumbfounded by my moves and shouted desperately to my back, “Do you want to know or not?!”

***

When I reached the said store, Minho’s nowhere to found. I managed to cross the road in twenty five minutes but that anxious little bastard is too selfish to keep the coat for his best friend.  My eyes graced all over the store to search the existence of wine colored coat which I saw it on a mannequin and someone’s trying to take it down.

“Waaaaaiiit!! That’s mine!!”

All eyes under that roof travel to where I stand. Five meters across me, a tall man with feline eyes stops his hands on the air and stays mute when finally I reach him. Left hand firmly placed on the soft dark red fabric, I darted my gaze to the speechless man before me, “It’s mine. I want to buy this. It’s mine, my friend supposed to hold to this until I came but he’s such a jerk and left, you can’t take this one. It’s mine.”

Bemused with my rants, he chuckles in chirpy voice I didn’t know he had, “Slow down girl.”

“Please, you can’t do this to me.”

“Do what?”

“Take this coat away just like you always do in every single fashion stops I know. Please, I want it so bad for a long time you can’t take this away.”

He casually tousled his hair back and keeps gleaming until I can’t process the view in front of me, how could be this cold vampire heir looks so attractive?

“It’s been here for almost two months, for your information.”

He sounds loosen up and way far from his tight atmosphere he always carried whenever I randomly bumped into him.

“It can’t be. I passed this road several times and I hunt that color down in every single place I know even to the damped flea market but no, no way.”

“Have you ever come inside before?”

My brain hit a thick brick wall and it shut down in one go. The interior is so foreign for me and yes, I admit it, I never be in this place and take a look what’s inside. Now, can I say, heaven on earth? Everything in this store is like magic. The display is as wonderful as the clothes, shabby but edgy and modern at the same time. And when I process it a bit longer, all the clothes sells here are made in one piece only, means no one would had the same item with you once you outside this sanctuary.

“Well, I guess it’s the first time you came here.”

“Guilty. But please, please, let me get what I want this time.”

“Did I just hear one of The Smiths’s hit?”

“Excuse me?”

He cracks loudly. Again, “Sounds like that band for me. Anyway, what makes you think I would snatch this away from you?”

This kind of delicacy doesn’t suit him. We met few times before and those times are not good times and I’m pretty sure he’s just being cynical and ready to explode like the other time. But this time I feel he’s so real, being a warm passerby and had no intention wrecking up someone’s day.

“No offense, but you always ended up in a cat fight over an article of clothes.”

“I would never do that to you, girl.”

He’s beaming again. And just now I realize, he has this sincere eyes and prettiest smile alien – still not sure he’s from the earth – could have. He only had old ripped jeans and black sweater on him but I’d bet my right hand on it, it will work out in the magazine and pleased so many reader outside.

“Here! She wants this coat.”

Before I could register what just happened, someone works inside the store walks closer, and he’s gone among the display.

“I’ll help you, Miss. You want to try it first?”

I mutter something as consent, eyes still all over the corner and heart skips a beat by the thought of missing the earlier guy.

***

Someone’s kick me from the couch, ruining my dream when I fell down to the rug underneath. Minho’s long leg is the only thing I suspect as the criminal and yes, I’m ing right because when I glance up, victory smirk is all over his flower boy face.

“Move to the bed. Don’t drool over here, I’m going to watch some movies.”

“You can be less rude.”

“Your stupid bed head had tempted me.”

Towing my hair into messy bun, I slouched myself beside him because my drowsiness attacks me back.

“Did you get the coat?”

“Thanks to your impatient being, Choi. But yeah, I got it.”

“Really?!”

I just hum and try to focus at the television. Something’s flickered inside my chest when I remember how that long pale fingers hold the red material and give it to the worker.

“Where is it now? Show me, show me!!”

My head turned side, mouth gapped, “What are you? Five? Right there. I’m tired and sleepy!”

“You are no fun!!”

Minho pushes me until the edge of the couch. Regardless his bad habit, I walked to the dining table and pick the brown shopping bag. I haven’t check it yet because when I get back to the studio, the art director terrorized me until the end of the day with his horrorized face, one of the model got panic attack and unconscious on the waiting room.

“Try it and I’ll tell you if it worth the wait after all this time.”

Since high school, I’ve been dreaming owned a wine colored coat that dazzling enough to fight winter chills. No certain reason, I felt that maroon works better on my skin. Or that’s how my late grandmother told me. Getting obsessed after she passed away, I found myself looking for it these past years just to prove it to my parents she knows me better than them.

The coat wasn’t fully pulled out when I spilled something looks like shred of paper. Whatevs, I just carry on and try the longing coat and thanks God, it seems made especially for me. The lining, the cutting, the flow of the rear, everything’s just perfect.

“Still, you looked like an otter.”

By the bright expressions reflected on Minho’s face, I know he just made fun of me and agree that this coat is worth to wait. I stick out my tongue and he yelled over me, saying that I was blocking the television. So, still with the coat on, I scoop the shopping bag and the piece of paper I thought just a purchase receipt.

I’m not ready at all to find what’s scribbled on it.

How can I snatch stuff from my own store?
Nice to meet you again.
Call me!
:)
– Key

Under it, some numbers written neatly, waiting to be dialed. I smack Minho thigh which lied on my bag and grab my phone from it. My roommate looks worried with my sudden change and more worried when I suffocated him with a tight hug.

“Hello?”

I can feel my hand’s trembling, struggle to securely hold the phone, “Oh, hi. I’m the earlier at the shop. Uh, well, hi again, I guess.”

Whole heartedly laughter sounds like a Sanctus in my head, makes my legs turned into jelly, “What took you so long?”

“I’m only able to try the coat just now.”

“I bet it looks good on you,” he sounds relieved.

“It does.”

“You like it?”

Face pale with toothy grin flashed on my mind. Minho’s judging me so hard across the room so I just let stupid giggles out. Seems like I’m not gonna back to sleep any soon.

***