Chapter 36

Claimed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The strong smell of coffee awoken the alpha who habitually turned to his side for a kiss. Feeling no warmth, Mingyu opened his eyes and groaned. It was already morning.

 

Wait, it was already morning! , he didn’t hear the alarm!

 

Swinging his body back to his left, Mingyu grabbed the brown alarm clock and narrowed his eyes, trying to focus on the numbers. It was still 5:30 am. Lying back down, he stared at the ceiling, already too tired to get up.

 

These past few months he could do nothing on weekdays. Waking up early in the morning, he would go to the hospital for training until late at night, come back home too tired, sleep and repeat the whole process. Sometimes when he was drained out of energy, he would end up sleeping at the dorm, no energy and focus to drive back but he would make sure to return home whenever he could. The same goes to his mate - Wonwoo too had been busy with his final year project and would spend some nights at the studio. And with him still trying to find a job, Mingyu barely got to spend any time with him. Which was all the more reason why he tried to come back to the apartment, so they could at least sleep and have breakfast together.

 

Mingyu tried to close his eyes but the fresh coffee was too tempting. Usually, he would be the one to prepare the coffee and breakfast since he needed to be at the hospital early. Only about half an hour after he wakes up and done cooking would Wonwoo open his eyes so they can have breakfast together. And judging from the clinking sound, he was sure Wonwoo was making something right now. This was rare.

 

Getting up, he washed his face and headed towards the counter. ‘Hey.’ He stared at the omega who was making sunny-side up and simple sausage, one of the few dishes Mingyu taught him to do. Not that it was hard to make, Mingyu just like it to be perfect. Getting beside the man, he kissed the back of the male’s head and took his mug before heading back to his seat. ‘You’re up early.’

 

‘Bad hangover.’ Mingyu smiled at that. Wonwoo is the type who couldn’t get drunk but he would still have a bad hangover. Just two glasses and he would start vomiting before he then sleeps. ‘That’s a complicated food for a hangover.’ He commented.

 

‘I dunno how to make soup. We’re out of cereal.’ He laughed at that. They didn’t have any instant food here, Mingyu didn’t like it. But even so, scrambled eggs was easier than sunny side. He was about to comment before Wonwoo put the food on his plate, placing it in front of Mingyu, and then, took out another bowl filled with scrambled eggs.

 

He simpered. Wonwoo made this for him. Waiting for his mate to sit beside him, Mingyu slurped on the coffee, stretching his body. This was not enough recharge.

 

‘Wonie,’ He stood up while looking at the omega beside him. He kept his stare until Wonwoo had enough and glowered at him. ‘The hell you want?’

 

‘Urgh.’ Wonwoo scowled at the sudden tight hug from the giant who was shaking him, vibrating his throbbing brain. God he felt like puking right now. ‘Yah, stupid! Stop!’

 

Laughing at the reaction, Mingyu placed another kiss and sat back to continue his breakfast, enjoying the pissed face beside him. Although they were both really busy with their studies, he never felt happier with their relationship. He thought having to handle Wonwoo’s trauma would soon affect him negatively but the man had been making a lot of progress and hence, had started to show more of his true colours. He also had less reason to confront the omega because they talk about their feelings more so they knew what the other’s problems were. Which was why he was okay with pissing Wonwoo off once in a while, because he knew the man wouldn’t hold it in.

 

‘What’s wrong?’ He asked as he cleaned the dishes. Wonwoo had been staring at him weirdly, as if concerned about something. The few moments of silence made him brush it off and continued with what he was doing.

 

‘Mingyu, are you coming back tonight?’ He turned to face his mate, tilting his head a little ‘I don’t know.’ Usually he would be able to come home on Fridays but the hospital had been very busy this month so he might be held up.

 

‘Owh. Tomorrow’s good too.’ Wonwoo put down his mug, ‘I need to talk.’

 

*****

 

The older of the two patted the sofa and looked back at the brochures and documents in his bag, making sure everything was perfect. Mingyu was preparing their drinks - hot chocolate for the omega and cafe latte for himself.

 

This had been their ritual before any of their ‘talk’, something they developed through the years after their first rule was set. While most of the rules were added based on their reactions on their previous talks, one of them – holding hands throughout the discussion - they found to be really essential. Mingyu who gets worked up easily would stress Wonwoo, and Wonwoo who couldn’t help but express his feelings through his pheromones would affect Mingyu, who is sensitive to it, emotionally. It was an endless cycle of negativity. And once it started, there was no turning back. Which was why they now hold hands. If one of them was triggered or felt strongly about something, they would naturally twitch their fists or squeeze it slightly which would alert their partner. It took a lot of practice, but they managed to perfect it.

 

‘What do we have here?’ Mingyu placed their drinks on the coffee table and sat on the floor, right beside Wonwoo, leaning against the sofa. Wonwoo held out his hand and clamped Mingyu’s tightly in his, bringing his forehead up front to bunt with the other. He likes to do it, preferring their headbutts over kisses which Mingyu likes.

 

After a few minutes of preparing the talk to be brought to their main topic, Wonwoo finally asked, ‘What do you think about France?’

 

Mingyu smiled at the question. It had been a while since he last thought about that country, or any European countries for that matter, minus his hometown that is. His priority changed, and so did his dreams for the future. Now that the omega mentioned it, he always loved going to Alsace, a village in France.

 

‘You wanna go to France?’ For some reason, the omega jerked at that question, Mingyu could feel his hand pulsating momentarily in his. Maybe he was disappointed because they have no time? He always felt bad about that but they were both still student so there is still a lot of time for them. ‘We can go if you want… I have summer holiday-’

 

‘No, Mingyu it’s not…I, got an offer.’ The alpha’s face lit up. He felt over the moon. Wonwoo reporting the offer like this only meant he was ready to take the job, unlike those few others he rejected.

 

So, Wonwoo wanted to celebrate? Was that why he mentioned France? They can always go there right after graduation, Mingyu had a week off before starting his residency. Hugging the smaller man beside him, telling him words of encouragement and congratulations, he released it and looked back at Wonwoo’s face. The latter didn’t show any signs of being happy.

 

‘Is it far?’ Wonwoo nodded and Mingyu’s face fell. It seemed, his mate decided to take the ones in the suburbs after all. Forcing himself a smile, he caressed the omega’s face. ‘It’ll be fine. I can try to apply the hospital nearby. Where is it?’ There was another squeeze in his hand.

 

‘Really far. I dunno if you can go there.’

 

Mingyu almost made a fist before noticing the hand in his. He sighed. Though he didn’t like the situation, he understood. ‘It’s only for two years. I can open a clinic then-’

 

‘It’s in France.’ Wonwoo cut him off. Mingyu eyes widened.

 

‘France?’ He had to reconfirm what he heard. Receiving a nod, Mingyu looked at the ceiling, trying to find a word to say. ‘How? Did you just randomly applied for a job in another country? For fun?? Why France?!’

 

Seeing that reaction, Wonwoo pushed his bag behind him, no longer have the enthusiasm to show the pamphlets he received. Unfortunately, the action caught Mingyu’s attention who let go of his hand. Swiftly, he got hold of those papers. As expected, he wasn’t pleased. ‘Yah, Wonu, this is a prank right? Tell me it is.’ He looked back at the paper, some of it written in Korean. ‘You went to an agent? You can’t trust an agent.’

 

‘No. It’s-’ He didn’t know if he should expose Joshua but Mingyu didn’t know him personally, and if mentioning him would ease the worry, he thought he should. ‘It’s Joshua-hyung. He knew the CEO.’

 

‘Goddamit!’ Mingyu muttered to himself. He whispered it, but he didn’t care if omega heard him either. In his anger, he accidentally crumpled the brochure. Wonwoo rushed to grab them from him but before he could return to his place, he gave a sharp look at the alpha. Mingyu, realizing his reaction, took a deep breath. ‘I need some air.’

 

‘I need to be alone.’ Wonwoo responded.

 

*****

 

 

Seungcheol looked over at his mate who looked back at him with the same expression. Mingyu’s sudden visit was weird enough as it is. Now, sitting at their dining table, facing them both, he just asked the hardest question both of them had no answer to.

 

It was not a simple question with right and wrong answer. They could understand where both male came from. They knew really well how important architecture was for Wonwoo, it was the one thing that help him gain his confident after the horrible incident. But they could also empathize with the alpha in front of them. They saw how much Mingyu suffered, they saw how much Wonwoo grew to depend on him, and they saw how accustomed and comfortable both the males are with each other. If the same option was given to them, both Seungcheol and Jeonghan would choose each other.

 

But this was not Seungcheol and Jeonghan. This was Mingyu and Wonwoo.

 

Jeonghan broke the silence first by patting the younger alpha. If Mingyu wanted to blame someone, it should be him. He was the one who introduced Joshua to Wonwoo, in hope to bring architecture back into his life. He wanted Wonwoo to not give up on his talent only because he was an omega. He was the one at fault. ‘I think… Wonwoo needs to be free.’

 

Seungcheol and Mingyu looked at him, shocked. Before Mingyu could say anything, he continued, ‘He still have a lot of issues to work on. Not trusting the bond for one. Doubting you, another. You guys are happy now, but I know the thoughts still haunts him.’

 

‘So you want me to break the bond because of that? Make his nightmare come true?’ Mingyu frowned at the omega, speaking as calmly as he could. If anything, Wonwoo was afraid of Mingyu leaving him the most. Now Jeonghan was suggesting he leave his mate. Well, technically let his mate leave him, but in the end, they would still both be apart. ‘He can’t handle it. I won’t let it.’

 

‘Then he’ll forever think you’re like this cus you’re trying to control him.’ Jeonghan responded. Though he could never say he knew how Wonwoo thinks, he could somehow predict it. They both did, have similar mental issues. And Jeonghan knew how this kind of situation made him feel. He was confident Wonwoo would feel the same. ‘I don’t think that’s healthy for your relationship.’

 

Mingyu rubbed his face roughly at the idea. He didn’t like it. It was stressing him out.

 

Seeing the distress on the younger, Seungcheol decided to give it a shot. He knew Jeonghan was trying his best to explain his thoughts but he was speaking through Wonwoo’s point of view. Mingyu would never comprehend it. He knew the man couldn’t. Because if the same thing was said to him, Seungcheol knew he too wouldn’t be able to accept having mental issues as a reason he needed to break their bond either. Especially for Mingyu who had a successful exhibit A sitting in front of him, it would be even harder to agree with.

 

‘Mingyu, I kinda agree with Hannie. Hear me out.’ He warned the other to listen, ‘I think Wonu’s still confused.’ He continued carefully, looking at the younger alpha’s face for any reaction. Mingyu seemed to be listening.

 

‘He never knew the feeling of being a free omega. And he’d blame the bond for any changes, good or bad. I know you realize it too.’ The older alpha stated what Wonwoo told him whenever they met each other. Or at least, the vibe he got from the omega. He never told it straight, but Seungcheol could always feel it.

 

Mingyu finally exhaled deeply, having something to agree on. That was exactly what was happening, their biggest obstacle, the fact that Wonwoo didn’t know the difference between his personality change due to being an omega, his trauma or the bond. And Wonwoo tend to blame everything to the last. It was the least personal to him. It was the easiest choice. But it involved Mingyu so Wonwoo naturally also blamed him, unconsciously. ‘You should let him experience what being a free omega feels like. Let him recover by himself. Then he’ll know the difference a bond make. I think, with time, he’ll be comfortable enough to want to be with someone again… By choice.’

 

‘But what if that someone’s not me anymore?’ Mingyu turned to look at the couple seated opposite him, ‘What if he choose another?’

 

Seungcheol’s shoulder dropped. That was another question he didn’t have answers to. He looked up to search for his mate’s eyes. Again, Jeonghan bore the same expression as his.

 

*****

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter