Something Better II

Soosica's One Shots Collection (Authors Collaboration)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica kept on stealing glances towards the person who was sitting in front of her. At that point, she just didn’t even know what to say or even how to react. Her head was still trying to figure out what had just happened. Never in a million years had she expected that the person who was sitting in front of her was actually the same wasted person she met at the café earlier that morning. And the worst part was this woman could potentially be her supervisor.

“Good morning Dr Sooyoung, one orange muffin as usual?” A young waitress came to their table. They were at a café near to the department. Of course everyone would know every lecturer that walked in to the café.

“Yes please Kim. Make it two today.” She smiled towards the girl. “Black coffee?” The girl asked again. “Hmm just one plain water, and one hot green tea for this lady here.” She ordered on behalf of Jessica as well. At that time, Jessica felt like she was being stabbed. The guilt she was having for throwing hot green tea towards the woman this morning was unbearable.

“Coming right away.” The young waitress smiled widely before she walked away from the table.

“This place has the best orange muffin.” She said. Jessica just kept quiet. She really didn’t know what to say. She was just looking down. A few seconds later, the same young waitress by the name of Kim, came by bringing the so called ‘best’ orang muffins, plain water and hot green tea.

“Enjoy Dr Sooyoung.”

“Thank you Kim.” She smiled. “I hope you would be able to finish the whole mug unlike this morning.” She said softly to the person in front of her before she took a small bite on her orange muffin. Jessica has never felt that embarrassed her whole life.

“I’m sorry.” Jessica mumbled very slowly.

“What are you sorry for?” She asked back.

“For what I did.” Jessica had her head lowered the whole time.

“I deserved it.” She smiled. “I wasn’t on my best behavior either.” She added before she took another bite. “I mean, it hasn’t really been the best week for me.” She added. Jessica was reminded of something. Her father just passed away!

“Regardless, that is not an excuse for me to behave in such a way. So I truly apologize.” She said.

It must have been really hard losing a parent. Jessica knew if she was at her place, she would have acted the same way. Even worst! At that point, Jessica felt even guiltier.

“Would it be okay if we could forget whatever happened and start over?” She asked Jessica.

“Yes, I would love that.” Jessica nodded her head. Finally, she had the courage to look at the woman’s face. Jessica could see that there was sadness in both of her eyes.

“It’s your first day right?” She asked.

“Yes.” Jessica nodded.

“You were seeking consultation earlier which means you are in DELL.” She smiled. DELL stands for Department of English Language and Literature.

“Yes I am Dr Sooyoung.” Jessica nodded again. The woman landed her back on the chair and then she looked at her. “What are you interested in?” She then asked.

“I’m interested in Post-colonial lit.”

“You don’t seem like someone who would do post-colonial literature or would even be in this field altogether.” She said.

“Neither do you.” Jessica braved herself to say it. The woman just smiled over the remarks. “Well, now we know why people say not to judge a book by its cover.” She responded in English while looking at her with a smile.

Jessica didn’t know why, but she loved the smile. She just couldn’t imagine how hard it is for this woman to bear the loss of her father and still could maintain a smile on her face.

“I know you wanted a consultation but I am having this terrible headache.” Suddenly she said.

Of course she would. That would happen when you had been drinking all night, Jessica thought to herself. Why would this person be at work at the first place after losing someone so dearly? Jessica started to wonder. She should entitle for a compassionate leave, Jessica continued to wonder. “It’s okay. I can come over tomorrow morning.” Jessica straightaway said.

“Thank you. Sharp at 9 alright? I promise tomorrow morning you will see something better from me.” She smiled.

“You are already much better now.” Jessica said without thinking.

“Aww, you are capable of saying good things to me.” She smiled. Jessica was so embarrassed after hearing the remarks.

 “Will I be expecting something better from you too tomorrow?” She asked with a smile.

 “Expect nothing but the best from me.” Jessica said enthusiastically.

“Woman with determination really turns me on.” She then said with a smile. Jessica was surprised to hear it. How inappropriate for a lecturer to say that, Jessica thought.

“Sorry, I’m really not in the right state of mind. Again, I promised tomorrow you will see a better version of me.” She quickly said. Although it was terribly inappropriate, Jessica didn’t know why she was blushing madly.  

*********

Jessica woke up early the next morning to do more research on her brilliant research topic so that she could present it to the woman later. She desperately wanted to impress her. At the same time, she acutally wanted to redeem herself for how she acted yesterday morning.

She left her apartment and made her way towards campus before 8am since the walk to campus could take around 35min – 40mins. Suddenly, it started to rain. “Aww man..” She sighed as soon as she felt the raindrops on her face. Coincidently, the same café as yesterday was the nearest shelter at that point.  

She sat on the same place as yesterday and opened her laptop. She just wanted to make sure that she is well prepared for the discussion on her research topic with Dr Sooyoung later. She was really into her work when suddenly she was startled by a voice coming from a few seats away.

“Have you restocked the coconut water?’

Jessica recognized the voice straight away. She turned to her side and saw the same wasted woman as yesterday. “You have got to be kidding me.” Jessica mumbled slowly to herself.

“Soo, don’t tell me you were out drinking again last night?” The same waiter said to the wasted woman.

“Urgh.. I don’t want to talk about it.” She groaned as she landed her head on the counter.  

“Soo, when was the last time you actually had a good night sleep?” The waiter asked before he placed a cup of black coffee in front of the woman.

She didn’t respond to the question. She just kept quiet and continued groaning. She was having a terrible migraine. When suddenly she noticed someone sat next to her. She lifted her head to see who it was.

“Seriously, why do we keep meeting here?” She asked lazily and then she landed her head back on the counter. “I’m glad that you still could recognize me.” Jessica said bluntly.

“Why would I not recognize such beauty?”

“Can you please not say stuff like that!” Jessica responded.

“Alright then, why would I not recognize you?” She asked the same question but this time she excluded the word beauty.

“Because I could clearly see that you are still under the influence of alcohol.” Jessica said.

“I am not under the influence of alcohol.” She said in denial.

“Or drugs perhaps?” Jessica questioned.

“Are you really accusing me of doing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter