Chasing Pavements

Soosica's One Shots Collection (Authors Collaboration)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung stood in front of a door, thinking whether she should knock on it or not. It had been a year since she was last back at her hometown. Although it had only been a year, so much had changed. The front lawn was different, the color of the house was different and the whole structure of the house was different. At one point just now, she thought she was at a different place.

There were a lot of cars parked outside of the house. She should have taken an earlier flight, at least it won’t be that awkward if she was already in the house when all the people came. She really didn’t expect her parents to invite that many people. Guess that’s what happened when you are celebrating your 35th wedding anniversary.

She was still standing in front of the door having all these mixed feelings inside her. Then, she remembered the phone conversation she had with her mother the other day.

“Is it okay if I invited Jessica and her family?” Her mother asked her the other day.

“It’s your party mum, you can invite whoever you want.” Sooyoung was trying to be positive.

“I just want to make sure.” Her mother replied.

“She’s back?” Sooyoung asked her mother.

“Yeah, last month.”

“Back for good?”

“I don’t know.” Her mother replied.

The thought of meeting her first love again was just beyond depressing. She could still remember the day when she got dumped 2 years ago by the woman after being together for almost 4 years. “That’s what happened when you dated someone 9 years older than you.” One of her friends told her right in front of her face a year ago. She was hurt by it.  Although she was deeply broken with whatever happened between her and Jessica, she accepted it with an open mind and open heart. Everything happened for a reason she thought to herself.  

Jessica was greatly ambitious, she wanted to move to the States for a better job, better life which she got it eventually. Sooyoung always admire her for being so determined in life. How she wish she had the same motivation as her. She was young back then when she first met Jessica.

They met a café. Sooyoung was working part time at the café while she was still doing her degree and Jessica would come by the café every morning to get coffee. How could anyone not notice Jessica? The woman was beyond magnificent. She was elegant, eloquent, beautiful and every other characteristics that an angel could have.

Sooyoung braved herself on morning and asked the woman her number. Surprisingly, Jessica gave it to her and the rest was history. They started to move in together and Jessica practically had been supporting her in every possible way that she could. Sooyoung had never taken her for granted. She knew her place.

It’s not that Sooyoung enjoyed seeing Jessica being so dominant in the relationship, it’s just that at the time she didn’t have the capability yet. “Please be patient on me.” She would always say that to Jessica. She had her dreams on her own too. She wanted to be an educator, a professor in a university. Maybe Jessica grew tired of waiting, Sooyoung assumed to herself.

Throughout that 4 years they were together, no one knew about their relationship except for Sooyoung’s family. She was afraid of the criticism and judgment that she would be getting. “What would people say Sooyoung? I’m 30 I can’t be dating a 21 year old. I should have been married by now.” She would say that to Sooyoung every time.

Just 3 days after their 4th anniversary, Jessica got home and broke the news to Sooyoung. The news that she finally got the job that she applied without Sooyoung’s knowledge and the job was in the States. Jessica told her how much she wanted to accept the job. It would be great for her career, she further told Sooyoung.

What was Sooyoung supposed to say? It had always been her dream to work at the States, Sooyoung knew that.

“I badly need this Sooyoung.” Jessica expressed. “I need a change.” Jessica added again. At that point, Sooyoung knew everything was going to change. Other than the job, Jessica mentioned something that basically ripped her heart out. “I’m 34 Sooyoung, I need someone to look after me. Someone capable.” She said.

“Why are you doing this to me?” Sooyoung asked. She was heartbroken.

“You’re too young, you wouldn’t understand.”

“Please don’t leave me. We can fight this.” Sooyoung begged. “Baby please..” Sooyoung got down on her knees hugging Jessica’s legs begging her not to go. She was begging like there was no tomorrow.

But Jessica still left Sooyoung the next morning to pursue everything she wanted. Sooyoung had a terribly difficult year but she still managed to get her master’s degree and the following year she became a PHD candidate at a university in Australia. She’s currently based in Melbourne and if everything follows according to plan, she still has 3 years left till she earns her PHD.

Sooyoung was still staring at the door. “Just get this over with Choi Sooyoung.” She mumbled to herself before she rang the bell to the door. Mrs Choi was the one who opened the door and of course she was thrilled to se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter