Something Better III

Soosica's One Shots Collection (Authors Collaboration)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Your final thesis defense is in 2months.” Sooyoung informed as she was going through some papers in front of her.

“May I know the exact date?”

“You should be getting a letter on the confirmation of the date and venue by this week.” She explained.

“How long would the whole defense process be?”

“Depends. The fastest we have done for a doctoral candidate was 20mins.” Sooyoung answered.

“The longest?”

“Almost 2 hours.” She informed.

“Oh god. This is nerve wrecking.”

“You’ll do good.” Sooyoung forced a smile. “I won’t be there but I can help out in choosing the external examiner.” She added.

“I can do this right?”

“Of course. You have worked so hard to be here. I’m sure you won’t let all the hard work slips. Plus, you are almost at the end of the road already.”

“Thank you so much Dr Sooyoung. I wouldn’t have done this without you.”

“You don’t have to thank me. This is my job. I do what I can to help my students.” Sooyoung stood up from her chair indicating that the session would be over now. The person in front of her awkwardly stood up as well.

“Hm have you eaten lunch?”

“Might be grabbing a late lunch later since I have another class in 40mins.”

“Oh okay. Hmm will you be attending the Department’s Pot Luck Dinner later tonight?”

“I don’t think so. Why?” She asked the person back.

“Hm. Nothing. Was just asking. You haven’t been attending any department events the past 3 years. I heard from the rest that previously, you would always be the first to attend these kinds of events. And hmm I haven’t been seeing you around either.”

“I am one busy woman Jessica. I have undergrad and postgrad classes to teach, 4 ongoing research articles to be published within the next few months and 16 supervisees to oversee. 17 including you.” She said as she walked her supervisee towards the door.

“Hm yes of course you are. But I do think that you should go out and see people more. You have been working so hard. It would really be good for you.”

“Don’t worry I know what is good for me and what is not.” She went on to say.  

“Hmm okay. Sorry if I crossed the line.”

“I’ll see you next Friday, 11.30am sharp.” Sooyoung said before she forced a smile and closed the door to her office room.

Jessica just let out a long deep sigh.

*****

3years Ago.

“Fine! Why don’t you want to be my supervisor?????” Jessica asked in full emotions.

“Because I desperately want to date you Jessica. I wouldn’t be able to date you if I were to be your supervisor.” Sooyoung let out.

Jessica went speechless. She didn’t expect that to come out from the woman. She just stood there silently.

“You have been so caring and attentive towards me the past one week. For such a long time I have never felt this way.” She started to explain. “Believe me, I will help you out as much as I can with your dissertation. But Dr Yoona would be the one overseeing you.” She explained again.

“Why would I want Dr Yoona overseeing me? She’s only working on a theory related to Post Colonialism not really doing Post Colonialism.” Jessica said seriously. “I have worked hard throughout the years to be where I am and I don’t want anyone to ruin it.” She then explained.

“Are you implying that I’m going to ruin this for you just because I asked you to elect Dr Yoona as your supervisor?” Sooyoung frowned.

“That is not what I meant. I want someone specializing in this area to oversee me and that is you!” She expressed. “It would be such a waste to have someone as phenomenal as you to not be overseeing and guiding me.” She said with full emotions.

“Regardless of having me or not as your supervisor, I would still be helping you!” Sooyoung reiterated the same thing again.

“Getting a doctoral degree in Post Colonialism is my utmost priority right now. I am not here for dates.”

“But you were here for a week taking care of me. I thought there’s something there.” Sooyoung mumbled.

“I am here because I was feeling guilty and I felt bad over what happened and of course because I want you as my supervisor. Nothing else!“ She replied.

Both of them went silent. Sooyoung knew at that point she had embarrassed herself. She walked towards her study room and took a pen. She then asked for the Supervisor Selection Form and straightaway signed it.

“I hmm I apologize for being inappropriate for the past one week. I guess you would tend to be vulnerable when you are in this state.” Sooyoung said in an awkward tone. She then handed the form back to her new supervisee. “Alright. I will see you on Tuesday for your first official consultation, 11am sharp.” Sooyoung forced a smile.

“I thought your medical leave would be until Friday next week?” Jessica went on to ask.

“Nope. It would only be until Monday.” Sooyoung lied. The university did grant her 2 weeks of compassionate and medical leaves. After the embarrassment earlier, she felt like she needed to start getting her back together. What happened was certainly an eye-opener for her. What was she thinking begging a student to date her like that? Her life was just so messed up at that point.

“Oh okay. Do you still want me to drop by tomorrow? I can cook you lunch.” Jessica went on to say softly because she was feeling even more guilty. She just didn’t know how to make the situation better.

“Hm it’s best that you don’t. I might be heading out to meet up with some friends tomorrow anyways.” Sooyoung lied again. From that moment, she knew she had to maintain a student-teacher relationship with the woman in front of her.

“Oh wait.” Sooyoung said as she walked back towards her study room. She then took a few books and journals and then went out. She handed the materials to the girl. “Read up on this. It would give you more insights for Tuesday’s discussion.” She said.

“Hmm. Sure. Thank you so much.” Jessica said awkwardly. She hated how everything changed in a blink of an eye.

“Alright. It’s getting late, you should get going now, it’s not safe for you to be out this late.” Sooyoung forced another smile.

“Thank you again Sooyoung. I mean Dr Sooyoung.” Jessica was referring to the reading materials.

“You don’t have to thank me. This is my job. I do what I can to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter