Ch 19

Haunted (Rewrite)

"You're right, Hewitt is pretty cool."

"Eventually you'll run out of names to call him."

"Me? Never. There's so many names out there that I can call him." Kyuhyun replied. "When are you getting your stitches out, by the way?"

Zhou Mi pulled his shirt up enough to look at his stitches. The skin around the stitches looked healthy with no sign of inflammation. "Next week. I've got an appointment set up."

"Cool. Can't wait to see you without those."

Zhou Mi glanced at him. "It scared you."

"What, the stitches?"

"No, seeing me get stabbed."

Kyuhyun looked startled for a moment before shaking his head. "Of course not. I just didn't want you to die."

"Why?"

"Because there was a high chance of you becoming a ghost as well. I didn't want you hanging around after your death."

"You were all for me dying earlier."

"No, I wasn't. I was just teasing you, Mi."

"So you're in no hurry to see me die. I'm glad to know that."

"Yeah, yeah. Don't get all mushy on me."

"I wouldn't dare." Zhou Mi replied, trying not to smile. "Any idea who the other ghost is?"

"Nope. I haven't even see it which should be impossible. Ghosts usually can't hide from other ghosts." Kyuhyun told him, looking frustrated. "The only thing I can think of is that it's a poltergeist but..."

"But?"

"That should also be impossible. Poltergeists attach themselves to one person or one family. You said your friend had an experience with a ghost."

"Wookie is more than just a friend, Kuixian. I dated him for a few years but before and after that, he's been my friend, my best friend. We're family in every way except in name."

"A loophole." Kyuhyun groaned. "It found a freaking loophole."

"Does that even change anything? You said ghosts had a rules."

"It changes everything! Poltergeists... They aren't exactly ghosts. Well, they are but it's complicated."

"So explain it to me."

"Fine." Kyuhyun sat down on the table, sinking through the surface a few inches. "If a human dies with regrets, then they usually stay behind, unable to move on until they can address those regrets. But sometimes... If a human dies in an especially painful or horrible way, they sometimes die consumed by anger or hate. They won't move on either but they become poltergeists, ghosts whose only focus is causing harm to humans. But, just like ghosts, there are multiple 'levels' with poltergeists. So far, I think what you and Ryeowook are dealing with is a Level Two."

"Level Two?" Zhou Mi sat back in his chair, looking confused. "And what exactly is a Level Two poltergeist?"

"Well, a Level Two is only powerful enough to do small things, such as tipping over a wine bottle or moving clothes."

"That's comforting."

"No, it's not."

"Sarcasm, Kuixian."

Kyuhyun ignored him. "Poltergeists and ghosts can move to different Levels, depending on how often we use our powers and how long we've been around. It might be a Level Two now but it could move up several Levels."

Zhou Mi was quiet for a moment, processing the information. "What does that mean? It'll get stronger?"

"It'll definitely get stronger. I just hope it never becomes a Level Ten."

"Why?"

"Level Tens are incredibly rare. Usually they get destroyed before they get that strong."

"Kuixian."

Kyuhyun sighed. "If it becomes Level Ten, it could kill you."

Zhou Mi fell silent again, thinking about that. "What Level are you?"

"I-I'm between Levels right now."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"I know." Kyuhyun swallowed before answering. "I'm a Level Six. But I'm on my way to being classified as a Level Seven."