Ch 18

Haunted (Rewrite)

Henry sat down across from Zhou Mi. "So..."

"So?"

"So, what's the story? Why are you acting so weird?"

"I-I'm not.." Zhou Mi replied.

"You aren't now but you were. And don't keep acting like it was nothing. I saw your face, it wasn't nothing. You were seeing something."

"I.." Zhou Mi hesitated. What could he say to this? How could he explain it?

"Fine.. Just tell me," Henry hesitated, reaching over to put his hand on his. "Are you in any danger?"

"What? No!" Zhou Mi replied. "I'm safe here, Henry."

"I'm not sure that I believe you. Do you have anyone who can stay with you? At least until the stitches come out?"

"I- yeah. I've got someone."

"Good.  Let your ghost know that you're healing nicely."

"I will." Zhou Mi replied before his words caught up to him. "Wait, what... you know?"

"Did you seriously think that you're the only one who can see ghosts?" Henry asked him, sounding amused. "I'm guessing he had something to do with whatever was going on earlier."

"...Dancing pants."

Henry coughed. "Uh, I must have heard you wrong. I thought you said 'dancing pants'."

"I did." Zhou Mi replied with a sigh. "Kyuhyun was making my pants dance earlier. And.. Well, he said it wasn't him, but they were dancing down the hallway."

"That explains the look on your face. But if wasn't him, who was it?"

"I don't know. The only ghost I can see is Kyuhyun."

"Has he lied to you before?"

"No."

"Then he could be telling the truth."

"Of course I was telling the truth."

Zhou Mi jumped, looking over his shoulder to see Kyuhyun floating behind him. "Are you eavesdropping on us?"

"Nope. So, Heath can see ghosts, huh?"

"He can also hear them." Henry stated, crossing his arms over his chest. "Heath? Really?"

"Oh, so that's your name?" Kyuhyun grinned, waving at him. "Nice to meet you, Heath."

"My name is not Heath, it's-"

"Hendrik, right? You look like a Hendrik."

Henry groaned, looking at Zhou Mi. "Is he always like this?"

"Well... Just with you. Maybe you should be flattered."

"Why?"

"Because you've been Henrik, Hank, Heath and Hendrik. I think he's jealous."

"Why would I be jealous when I can do this?" Kyuhyun lifted the pan of chicken from the stove, tipping it over so the chicken landed on a plate. "Can Hensley do this?"

"And now you're Hensley."

"Henry. H-E-N-R-Y."

"Oh, it's Herbie? You should have said something before."

"I give up." Henry muttered. 

"Probably a good idea. I don't think he likes you much."

"Why not? I'm a likable guy. Is it because I'm a stranger or because I helped you at the hospital?"

"Maybe because you see ghosts? Wait, Kyuhyun, can you tell when someone can see ghosts?"

"Of course. Didn't you know that anyone who sees ghosts has this bright green aura around them?"

"Wait, really?"

"No. There's no special aura or anything that tells me which humans can see ghosts." Kyuhyun let the pan swing around the kitchen a few times before setting it in the sink. "Besides, I actually like Herman. His reactions are funny."

"Herman? No, just no. Herman is the name of my least favorite uncle. Choose something else."

"Thought you were leaving?"

"Oh, not yet. I'm waiting for Zhou Mi to call whoever he wants to stay with him."

"Why can't it be me?" Kyuhyun settled cross-legged on the table. "I can keep him from overexerting himself. And I can protect him from whatever ghost is messing with him. Any human he calls can't do that."

"...You may have a point there." Henry replied with a sigh. "Though, I don't know if this ghost is something we should worry about. I mean, dancing pants aren't very dangerous."

"No, they aren't." Kyuhyun agreed. "But he or she could escalate. They didn't seem to care if you saw the pants or not after all."

"Is that something ghosts are supposed to worry about?"

"Yeah. There's rules to this, Hercules."

"And what are those?" Zhou Mi asked before Henry could react.

"We can't do anything to hurt or kill humans. Only harmless or embarrassing pranks are allowed. We also aren't allowed to interact with humans unless they can see us. Most humans can only see one or two ghosts at a time, never all of us."

"That reminds me of something my grandma told me once." Henry remarked. "She said that if a human sees a ghost, then they're destined to be together."

"Destined to be together? How is that supposed to work?" Kyuhyun asked, sounding amused. "I'm dead, he's not." 

"I think the human is supposed to die as well. I don't remember, she told me when I was young and not willing to pay attention to anything that's depressing."

"You hear that, Mi?" Kyuhyun asked cheerfully. "Hurry up and die already so we can be together."

"You'll be waiting a while for that, Kuixian."