Chapter 02

Creature of the Dark
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Where am I?” I speak my thoughts out loud when I realize that I am currently standing in a pitch-black room, or at least I think it’s a room. I can’t see anything, not even my own hands. Then I heard it, a chuckle coming somewhere near me. A shiver went up to my spine as I heard that devilish chuckle.

 

“Don’t ever think about running.” I heard the voice said. I furrow my brows, confused.

 

“What do you mean? Wh-who are you?” I try to look around, searcing for the source of the voice, but its too dark that my attempt is futile.

 

“You are now mine.”

 

Then I saw it. I squeal as out of nowhere a pair of red eyes is showing itself to me. The air surrounding me has also changed along with its presence. The temperature dropped to a freezing point. Shakily I took a step back, trying to just stay away from whatever is in front of me, only to bump to a sturdy wall. Or so I thought. I only notice that it’s not a wall after I felt a breath on the back of my head and a pair of hands that circles itself on my waist. Panic shots through me as my breathing began to go uneven and my heartbeats palpitate.

 

“Ssh.. It’s okay don’t be afraid. I won’t hurt you if you’ll just do as I said.” A sweet voice contradicts the whole situation I’m in. I can only shut my eyes close as I nod rapidly.

 

“Good girl.” I can feel the smirk behind his voice. Who is he? No, more like, what is he? He can’t be what I think he is right? All kinds of questions running through my mind. I felt his hair now brushes my jaw as he latches his lips on the crook of my neck. I gasp when I felt him a spot there. I tried to break free from his hold but he’s too strong for me. He held both of my hands with his, keeping it still on my sides.

 

“N-no don’t.” I barely whisper, still hoping he’ll hear my plea.

 

But I guess he didn’t hear it as suddenly a stinging pain shot through me and I felt like my life source has been out from me as he on my blood. My legs gone weak and I felt drained. I released a shaky breath as I have accepted the fate I got in. My eyes flutter closes as I surrender myself to the darkness once again.

 

 

I woke up with a start. Gasping for much air needed for my lungs. I wipe the sweats on my forehead and started to look around my bedroom. What a strange dream. No, it wasn’t just a dream, its pure nightmare.

 

“It’s just a nightmare, it’s just a nightmare.” I whisper as an attempt to calm myself.

 

A sound of a doorknob being turned causes me to flinch. I shot my head towards the direction of the door when I heard it creaks open. I heave a sigh when I saw that it’s only my mom. She closes the door as she walks towards me. I notice that she’s bringing a bucket filled with water.

 

“How are you feeling?” she asked me with concerns plastered on her already wrinkled face, sitting on the bed beside me.

 

“Wh-what happened mom?” I stutter as I furrowed my brows, confused. Did something happen to me?

 

She then placed her hand on my once wet forehead while frowning until she exhaled in relief. “I came earlier this morning. I was about to ask you to help close the door since both your father and me are going to your aunt that is about to give birth. But I found you lied on your bed, shivering. Earlier I checked, you’re having quite the high temperature, but thankfully it was only mild now.” She explained before she soaks the cloth into the bucket of water and started to dab my forehead and neck. I flutter my eyes closed as the cool cloth touches my skin. It felt so nice.

 

“You should close your window before you go to bed, Haerin. You know how cold it gets here in our town every night. And you’re lucky you only had a fever. What if someone breaks in and -“

 

“No, mom that won’t happen, okay. Look, I’m fine now.“ I cut her words as I try to assure her while I smile sheepishly at her. My mom only scowls in return and splash me with the wet cloth she used earlier.

 

“I’m worried sick. When I came in you’re so pale that I thought you’re dead.” She says exaggeratingly. Removing the wet cloth from my face, I rolled my eyes at how over her thought is sometimes.

 

“Come on I won’t die that easily mom and you know it. But, wait-“ a realization hits me as I remembered what she said earlier. “You said you checked on me earlier this morning?” I turn my eyes to look at her as she nods. “What time is it now?” I asked her one more time as I bit my lip.

 

“It’s almost 3 in the evening now.” She told me as she checks her watch.

 

“WHAT?” I finally exploded. “3 PM?? I slept until 3 PM?!” Immediately I detached myself from the bed in quick motion, surprising my mom in the proses. “Goodness, Haerin you scared me. Yes, you slept until 3 PM. Is there some appointment you need to go to earlier?” my mom asks as she straighten up, all while collecting the wet cloth and bucket before she finally stands up, looking at me weirdly.

 

I searched for the brochure of the competition. And when I find it, relief rushes to me as I collapsed to a sitting position. The submission’s deadline is today as I expected, but it was until 11 PM. I thought I just went to the dock in the middle of the night for nothing. Thank heavens they still gave me a chance.

 

“What is it, Haerin?” I heard my mom’s voice just behind me before I stand up and turn to her, pushing the brochure just centimeters from her face.

 

“The submission for the photos is today! I thought I missed it.” I explain excitedly at her. She only nods while sighing. “Well, I guess you’re already fine, seeing you’re jumping around earlier.” She once again checked my temperature with the back of her hand, placed on my forehead. “So, are you going to be okay alone in the house?”

 

I shot her a confused look almost instantly. “What? Where are you going?”

 

“Me and your father will be going to your aunt’s place. She’s going to go through surgery tomorrow, and of course we need to be there for support. The original plan was for us to go earlier, but I found you then this happened. Are you really okay with us leaving, honey? We’ll cancel the trip if y-“

 

“No, mom, I’m Fine” I cut my mom. “As you can see, I’m perfectly fine, maybe I’m just too tired after- I mean, I was just tired that’s all.” I curse inwardly when I al

Please log in to read the full chapter